Handmade Personal Geocoins

tsunrisebey

Well, after much thought and deliberation, I have made my own "geocoin."

I was going to have one minted, the design is in an envelope and ready to go. But, I just had this nagging idea that I would rather handmake each individual coin myself. This is much more of an expression of who I am and my chance to give something unique and special to the geocaching community.

I have toyed around with numerous ideas but finally created some coins that I really thought turned out fabulous. So here are the details and I have a request to make.

Each "coin" is handmade, the process takes me about 1 hour to do 6 coins. No two coins are exactly alike which is one of the things I really like about them.

I am calling these coins the "Petroglyph Series Geocoins." They are my dedication to those that came before us, to those that were here first, and to those that view Mother Earth as sacred, the American Indian.

There are 5 different designs, the two you see in the picture are "Big Dog" and "Turtle Mountain." Since there was not an Indian name for horse when they were introduced to North America, they were often referred to as "Big Dog" (one of the more common names), that's why it is being called that. The other 3 will just have to be surprises :huh:

So, the reason I am posting all of this is because I need help from some of you. I want to release 10 Petroglyph coins into the wild, other than Montana. In exchange for your help, the Turtle Mountain "micro coin" (in the picture) is yours to keep for helping me. There will be only 10 of those micro coins made, so there is the XLE.

The coins to be released into the "wild" are all just slightyly larger than a silver dollar. Each will be numbered on the back. They will come in plastic pouches with some special "paperwork" for the owners B) They are so much more beautiful than the picture shows, I think those that see and find them will really love them. I would really appreciate that these coins be placed out in the country in a cache, that requires some hiking and pretty views. Thanks.

I need 10 volunteers to help me get these coins released. Please pm me or send me an email if you are interested. Members from other countries are welcome to request releasing a coin also.

I need:

1 Alaska volunteer

1 Hawaii volunteer

and the rest I will choose from those that are interested.

UPDATE: Doing 15 coins now so I can include a few more countries. I'm accepting names until Sunday (2/18) until 10:00pm MST. I will post all the releasers and where they are from some time on Monday.

For updates please check post #20, I have a list of confirmed releasers outside of the U.S. I will only accept a couple more requests from other countries and then the rest will be given to U.S. cachers. Thank you everyone!

Thanks, Tsun B)

***UPDATED PIC OF SERIES now posted. Here is a pic, kind of tough to capture their true look. They do have an epoxy coating.

fa4eebbc-fd40-43fa-95c2-2273cdfaadef.jpg

"Big Dog" * "Mountain Turtle" * "Mountain Goat" * "Bear" * "Thunderbird"

21919fe6-c2ba-4a83-a716-96f711f9ffd4.jpg

Edited by tsunrisebey

Thanks to all who have sent me emails and pm's. I appreciate your interest. I will give everyone an opportunity to volunteer until Sunday night (2/18...10:00PM Montana Time MST).

In order to be fair, all names will go into a hat (from the U.S. mainland) and I will draw names. This way everyone has an equal chance. I will post the names and countries/states/provinces of those who will be releasing coins into the wild.

** I am adding 5 more coins to the original release, for a total of 15 around the world releases.

1 reserved for Hawaii

1 reserved for Alaska

Thanks, Tsun :huh:

Here is the current list of possible volunteers (your name in the hat). I apologize if you gc handle isn't spelled right, I was in a hurry when writing all these down.

USA:

camel680

Anthus

Mauison

nascarjunk

racer2814

Toojin&Bart

LadyBee4T

Jay Mills

Team GCHound

lindsychris

IC1

The4F's

sweetlife

mommyfinder

57chevy

larry739

The Amigos

want2bemore

Cinema Boxers

GPX Navigators

The Moops

Crowesfeat30

PrinceShoko

nicolo

cydriver

roboknight

DWBur

buddyluv4

aa8bj

fivedime

welch

Here are CONFIRMED releasers from outside USA:

Australia: Bunya

Netherlands: Twin Peaks

Nova Scotia, Canada: islander1988

New Zealand: keewee01

Ontario, Canada: danoshimano

Luxembourg: baelrati

Scotland: Haggis Hunter

Norway: smort78

Sweden: McLinks

England: Luzian

"Big Dog" * "Turtle Mountain" * "Mountain Goat" * "Bear" * "Thunderbird"

Edited by tsunrisebey

Just to clear up any confusion. Everyone who is chosen to release a petroglyph coin, is only releasing 1 of the 5 possible designs. You won't know which one you are releasing until I post it on Monday. The process for making and completing these is extremely time consuming. This makes it a challenge for those that are interested in trying to obtain the complete set.

I will be giving 1 complete set away for the Rocky Mountain Rendevouz mega event in August.

Here are the 5 petroglyph series coins. The backs have a small design also and each coin is sequentially numbered.

Petroglyph Coins:

"Big Dog" * "Turtle Mountain" * "Mountain Goat" * "Bear" * "Thunderbird"

I'm no longer accepting any more volunteers from other countries because I have confirmed 8 (over half) of the intended releases already. If you are still intereted in a release for your country, please email me, I will put you on a list for future reference.

BC and Alberta, I'm up your way here and there, I'll be personally releasing a few in your area some time this summer.

The other 7 coin releases will be pulled from the hat tonight after 10pm MST. I will post a final listing of all releasers, their location, and what petroglyph coin you will be releasing. Please watch for emails requesting your info.

Thanks again for the interest everyone.

Tsun :lol:

great idea and design!

you should make these coins trackable and keep them going around the world :lol:

i just see in this thread that i'm probably too late, but maybe if you are going to make more coins later, i would be able to release a coin (as mentioned in the mail) in either:

1. UK (London)
  2. Switzerland
  3. Germany (Berlin)
  4. probably Japan

UK now, the rest within probably 2-3 months. let me know if that would help.

cheers

Luzian

All geocachers posted were assigned a number and the state they represent along w/ that number. If a number was chosen and they were from a state already previously drawn, they were removed from the drawing (sorry, wanted diversity here). THANK YOU, everyone who volunteered to release these! So here they are, in the order they were drawn:

Details will be posted on Monday.

CACHER ID * U.S. STATE REPRESENTED * PETROGLYPH COIN YOU WILL RELEASE

#1: The 4 F's * Florida * "Big Dog"

#2: Cinema Boxers * Illinois * "Turtle Mountain"

#3: DWBur * Wisconsin * "Mountain Goat

#4: Anthus * Pennsylvania * "Bear"

#5: Crowesfeat30 * Missouri * "Thunderbird"

#6: Prince Shoko * Tennessee * "Big Dog"

#7: Mauison * California * "Turtle Mountain"

#8: Roboknight * Virginia * "Mountain Goat"

#9: The Amigos * Texas * "Bear"

#10: Toojin&Bart * Idaho * "Thunderbird"

OUTSIDE USA:

#11: Australia * Bunya * "Big Dog"

#12: Netherlands * Twin Peaks * "Turtle Mountain"

#13: Nova Scotia, Canada: * Islander1988 * "Mountain Goat"

#14: New Zealand * keewee01 * "Bear"

#15: Ontario, Canada * danoshimano * "Thunderbird"

#16: Luxembourg * baelrati * "Big Dog"

#17: Scotland * Haggis Hunter * "Turtle Mountain"

#18: Norway * smort78 * "Mountain Goat"

#19: Sweden * McLinks * "Bear"

#20: England * Luzian * "Thunderbird"

All geocachers posted were assigned a number and the state they represent along w/ that number. If a number was chosen and they were from a state already previously drawn, they were removed from the drawing (sorry, wanted diversity here). THANK YOU, everyone who volunteered to release these! So here they are, in the order they were drawn:

Details will be posted on Monday.

CACHER ID * U.S. STATE REPRESENTED * PETROGLYPH COIN YOU WILL RELEASE

#1: The 4 F's * Florida * "Big Dog"

#2: Cinema Boxers * Illinois * "Turtle Mountain"

#3: DWBur * Wisconsin * "Mountain Goat

#5: Crowesfeat30 * Missouri * "Thunderbird"

#6: Prince Shoko * Tennessee * "Big Dog"

#7: Mauison * California * "Turtle Mountain"

#8: Roboknight * Virginia * "Mountain Goat"

#9: The Amigos * Texas * "Bear"

#10: Toojin&Bart * Idaho * "Thunderbird"

OUTSIDE USA:

#11: Australia * Bunya * "Big Dog"

#12: Netherlands * Twin Peaks * "Turtle Mountain"

#13: Nova Scotia, Canada: * Islander1988 * "Mountain Goat"

#14: New Zealand * keewee01 * "Bear"

#15: Ontario, Canada * danoshimano * "Thunderbird"

#16: Luxembourg * baelrati * "Big Dog"

#17: Scotland * Haggis Hunter * "Turtle Mountain"

#18: Norway * smort78 * "Mountain Goat"

#19: Sweden * McLinks * "Bear"

#20: England * Luzian * "Thunderbird"

Cool! It's an honor to be chosen! :huh: We already have a local cache in mind. It requires hiking up a pretty wide hill (yes, a hill in Miami!), a bit of bushwacking along the top of the hill, and finally, the cache on the other side, where there's a spectacular view of the ocean!

We're honored and will put this in a very deserving cache ! I love it that we got picked for the Bear coin. There are many bears around here -- in fact, one of the caches nearby recently was muggled by a bear. There is another cache that has a tree on the way that is reported to be clawed up by a bear -- apparently while trying to get sap out of the tree?? You can clearly see the marks but I'm no bear expert.

47fc0707-1cb9-4090-9c83-bfd0deefaebd.jpg

....Anthus

B)Petroglyph Series Details :huh:

Post #38 shows all coin releasers

** All Petroglyph series handmade coin packages will be mailed out on March 9th (Friday).

** There are a total of 20 Petroglyph coins being released by people outside of Montana. 10 in the US, 10 non-US. I will slowly (time consuming) make coins and continue to release them, I may call on volunteers again to release more coins so others who are not close to them now have an opportunity to find them.

** Each package will included 1 coin from the series that you will be releasing (see post #38), 1 "micro" limited edition, green "Turtle Mountain" coin that is yours to keep (see post #1). An additional instruction page.

** Petroglyph coin releasers may not keep or go back and find the petroglyph coin they released (that includes anyone who lives in your household). Hopefully this keeps it somewhat fair.

** I am working on making these TRACKABLE on sigitem dot com. I can not guarantee that they will be trackable by the time they are released because my understanding is it could take up to a couple of months (depending on how busy owner is) to get everything set up. I will have an alternate/temporary method of tracking in place (be it a guest book on web page or emailing me w/ info., I'll get something figured out) until everything is officially setup. Then all information will be transferred to sigitem dot com.

** Petroglyph series coins when found may be kept or moved along from cache to cache. If you keep it, it is yours to do what you want with it. Each coin will come in a special pouch with some "special" paperwork.

Anyone with questions or comments, please feel free to email me or post here.

Any updates will continue to be posted on this thread.

Tsun:)

** I am working on making these TRACKABLE on sigitem dot com. I can not guarantee that they will be trackable by the time they are released because my understanding is it could take up to a couple of months (depending on how busy owner is) to get everything set up. I will have an alternate/temporary method of tracking in place (be it a guest book on web page or emailing me w/ info., I'll get something figured out) until everything is officially setup. Then all information will be transferred to sigitem dot com.

I will do my best to have something set up for you tonight. :huh:

--Marky

I will do my best to have something set up for you tonight. :huh:

--Marky

Marky,

You da man! I know you're tired from lugging all your new coin trades around :lol: , and we have a couple of weeks here, so please don't feel rushed, although Yippie for the sooner the better B)

Thank you so much, Tsun B)