LOOX N520 or n100

Pupu

Hi,

has anyone used LOOX N520 or n100 for geocaching? I would like to upgrade my old PDA (no GPS) to a newer one (in the <500 eur price range).

Now, I'm wondering about LOOX N520 and n100 PDAs. First, is the Windows Mobile 5.0/Windows CE 5.0 operating system compatible with gpxview? Second, is the navigation software essential only for car use or also for geocaching, i.e. can I use the PDA GPS for caching without the navigation software (which -if I understood correctly- is not included in the standard delivery package of N520 and will cost about 150 eur extra). If the navigation software is not a must, I think I would prefer N520 as it includes Word, Excel and some other stuff not availale in the n100 model.

OK...

Does anyone know would Pocket Loox N100 work for caching or not ?

Does it need some extra programs and is it possible to install programs?

Why these questions? It is cheaper than any garmin with map support in Finland.

Hi,

has anyone used LOOX N520 or n100 for geocaching? I would like to upgrade my old PDA (no GPS) to a newer one (in the <500 eur price range).

Now, I'm wondering about LOOX N520 and n100 PDAs. First, is the Windows Mobile 5.0/Windows CE 5.0 operating system compatible with gpxview? Second, is the navigation software essential only for car use or also for geocaching, i.e. can I use the PDA GPS for caching without the navigation software (which -if I understood correctly- is not included in the standard delivery package of N520 and will cost about 150 eur extra). If the navigation software is not a must, I think I would prefer N520 as it includes Word, Excel and some other stuff not availale in the n100 model.

Hi, as far as I know, the n100 is a PNA, only to use with the build in Car Navigation software. There might be Programms, to crack this lock, but you'll loose your warranty. The N100 / N110 have a special WM5 and not all features of a real pocket pc.

Don't use a car navigation for caching, because you cant't see your real position. The software 'thinks' that a car or a bike only can use roads and places the cursor onto the next street.

For myself, I am using a loox N560 with VGA display and:

- oziexplorerce (demo): moving map http://www.oziexplorer.com

- beelinegps (demo): might import pocket queries: http://www.visualgps.net/

and a lot of other programs run on this pocket pc: hav a look at: http://www.pocketnavigation.de (unfortunately only in german language)

Car Navigation is ok if you want to go to the caching area by car. Some Car Navigation is able to route to a GPS Coordinate instead of an address.

hth

Udo

OK... I got the idea...

Doesn't work for caching by default.

With some googleing I found way to unlock N100, but do I want to try it with google translation of germanese forum ? :anitongue:

They have successfully installed software after unlocking and it can be made to work, but do I want to try ?

Not yet :anitongue:

Why should I? N100 costs 200 euros, Garmin Etrex Venture CX 330 euros (about 400USD) here :rolleyes:

And those Garmin prices don't seem to drop... Even that old yellow Etrex has been 170 euros (about 200USD) for last 2 years here...

Edited by Rigor_

Hope im not to late, I received a N100 for Christmas this year and love it. There is a "window" that allows you to see the Lat and Lon, but my question is ... is there a way to make it nore sensitive for geocaching?

Will an external antenna do this? I can walk 50ft and not get the Lat and Lon to change..

Help!!