Night Caches

Sigmund Freud

After reading my found list, I got the idea, that "night caches" may be get an own type.

At this time, these Caches are listed as Unkown, Tarditionals or Multis.

But I think they are so special, that they have the right to get an own type.

I agree that they are special. However, IMHO, a unknown, traditional, virtual, or multi cache is the same in the light of day as it is in the darkness of the night. It isn't going to change depending on the time of day. :lol:

Perhaps, an additional icon could be established if you found the cache at night? Check a box on the log a cache page and maybe have a black background around the cache icon.

There's a "cache attribute" for caches that are "recommended at night." Look for it in the attributes box on the right hand side of the cache page:

night-yes.gif

This attribute can apply to any night cache, whether classified as a multicache or a mystery/unknown cache, etc.

Premium members can also search for caches with this attribute, using pocket queries.

After reading my found list, I got the idea, that "night caches" may be get an own type.

Best I can figure the type affects what you'll be doing, not the when/where. Traditionals mean using the coordinate to find a container, multiples mean finding many locations/containers to get to the final container, multis/puzzles mean doing something to find the final but it doesn't fit exactly with the other two.

Being night only, or recommened doesn't seem to affect the getting to the final aspect, just the 'when' part. If Night caches get their type, will 'takes less than 1 hour' also get its own type?? :huh:

However, IMHO, a unknown, traditional, virtual, or multi cache is the same in the light of day as it is in the darkness of the night. It isn't going to change depending on the time of day. :blink:

uh, no. some caches are actually set up to be found only at night. you know- night only clues. it's hard to set one up that way, but it's possible and by definition as different from a regular cache as a multi is.

i'm not certain it requires an own type, but i couldn't let pass the assertion that the cache isn't different in the dark. there's a big difference between a night cache and a cache you just happen to do at night.

uh, no. some caches are actually set up to be found only at night. you know- night only clues. it's hard to set one up that way, but it's possible and by definition as different from a regular cache as a multi is.

i'm not certain it requires an own type, but i couldn't let pass the assertion that the cache isn't different in the dark. there's a big difference between a night cache and a cache you just happen to do at night.

I can see your point and it made me remember a cache I ran across a long time ago that had reflector tape on it. You had to shine a flashlight into the tree to see the darn thing...

some caches are actually set up to be found only at night. you know- night only clues.

Usually that's a multi-cache with two attributes set:

available-no.gifnight-yes.gif

No need for an additional type. As already explained, the types are about what you will find at the posted coordinates. In case of a night-only cache you most likely will find some kind of reflectors leading you to the next stage and so on - as in a typical multicache.

Edited by eigengott

some caches are actually set up to be found only at night. you know- night only clues.

No need for an additional type. As already explained, the types are about what you will find at the posted coordinates. In case of a night-only cache you most likely will find some kind of reflectors leading you to the next stage and so on - as in a typical multicache.

A lot of people don't use the attributed appropriately. I would hate to have reviewers do more than they already do, but maybe the reviewers can help in this area. There are plenty of "Recommended at night" caches, but they aren't necessarily night caches per se. I understand the use of the not 24/7 attribute, but most night caches I've seen don't do this, so it's really not that useful.

A true night-time ONLY cache, that cannot be hunted during the day should get it's own attribute. When you start mixing multiple attributes to achieve a goal, wouldn't it be easier to just give it it's own?

From various discussions on here and elsewhere, it seems that the "night multi", as practised in Germany (multiple stages, reflectors to indicate where to start searching for the next clue, etc), is an almost uniquely European phenomenon...

that's just silly. i can think of three within an hour of my house.

I see many of you who don't want Nightcaches to have their own Type.

Okay I see the Point, they are nothing else but Tradis, Multis etc that you can only do @ night.

But, as it was said Caching @ night, and I don't mean just searching a reflecting Cachebox, is something unique.

Beeing in the forrest @ night, with a smal lamp or a Maglight ;-), is nothing what you do normaly.

Multis @ night can be very difficult, and they are also difficult to hide.

Perhaps a proposal for a new type may be a "Nightmulti". Or an atribute which has a "torch" on it or so.

But as it was said, some Owner don't use the attributes. Therefore I prefer a new type.

Sorry for the bad English and short Texts. I'd like to discuss with you, but my English is not as well as it should be for a discussion. Perhaps you can understand me why I think Nightcaches should have their own type.

Your English is just fine. No worries.

I think eigengott's post gives the best solution. With so many subtype caches out there, having an individual type for each may be cumbersome in the long run. Hard to say. In the meantime, I like that solution. You posted in the right area, so maybe it is something the site administrators will consider.

Using those 2 attributes won't work. At least they didn't for this FANTASTIC night only cache

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...fd-4d0f3296cb90

I tried using it with a 200 mile radius and got nothing, although this night cache is only 12 miles away.

That particular cache had the night-yes.gif set but not theavailable-no.gif

I searched for this topic specifically because I had wished for a night cache category. However, I have come to change my opinion. Does that make me 'open minded'? I just modified a partially successfull Night Cache PQ with the above attributes and came up empty handed within 200 miles of central Maryland. I have better luck searching on key words and then sorting through the rubble. Perhaps I need to fill the void!

I would like to see it made easier to find night caches using a PQ, the attribute search does not work consistently at present.

I have gone to the exent of making a bookmark list for the UK to make it easier for people to locate them but it relies on input from cachers.

Is there any way of making it easier to find them ?

They are a variety of regular cache.

So are LPC's.

So are SCUBA caches.

So are Boat Required Caches.

etc.

Often they have an attribute since they are common enough but different enough to warrant it. However they are not so different that they deserve their own catagory.

...I searched for this topic specifically because I had wished for a night cache category. However, I have come to change my opinion. Does that make me 'open minded'? I just modified a partially successfull Night Cache PQ with the above attributes and came up empty handed within 200 miles of central Maryland. I have better luck searching on key words and then sorting through the rubble. Perhaps I need to fill the void!

An email to the cache owner telling them how you found their cache may encorage them to use the right attribute.

Two things:

Attributes are somewhat helpful but on the other hand useless. Why? They don't show up in PQ's. Great for searching at home but we do most of our research in the field. There are just too many caches in our area to pick them before we leave home. We pick an area and go.

Also- some people don't use attributes or just don't know how to use them properly.

I knew of a night cache that was by houses and said to basically not do at night because of the nearby homes. (But i was specifically searching for night caches!)

If night caches had their own category- most likely people would make more of them. We would like that.

Attributes are somewhat helpful but on the other hand useless. Why? They don't show up in PQ's. Great for searching at home but we do most of our research in the field. There are just too many caches in our area to pick them before we leave home. We pick an area and go.

I have read that one of these days Attributes are going to be part of PQ's. Perhaps the rollout of V.2 geocaching.com? Don't know if this means that there will be buttons in a PQ definition form or just if Attribute information will be part of the GPX file download. If it's the later then we will have to wait until GSAK implements fields for attributes.

But, yes most people don't correctly use Attributes so I'm dubious how useful that will be.

From various discussions on here and elsewhere, it seems that the "night multi", as practised in Germany (multiple stages, reflectors to indicate where to start searching for the next clue, etc), is an almost uniquely European phenomenon...

that's just silly. i can think of three within an hour of my house.

I agree - I found one in Allegany State Park last year - other than the owner not doing a very good job marking the end of it (and deleting logs which indicated that it wasn't set up correctly... several people complained, and their response was to delete the logs rather than fix the issues), it was really cool to do. I found 1-2 others since, and they were very well done.

It would be interesting to have a separate cache attribute for "Night Caches", but I guess I'm not quite sure what the purpose to "Recommended at Night" if it isn't a night cache (or the owner just wants you to find it by flashlight rather than sunlight).

Edited by FireRef

I find there are already so many attributes now that the entire thing is useless (to me anyway - I know many people like them.)

I can never trust that hiders have used attributes (as I don't either) so I would be missing out on a lot if I relied on them.

I'd much rather see no more than 10 "key" attributes, which would be less daunting and more people would use it.

Many of you say, to find out which cache has to be done @ night, they use PQ, but PQ are only available to PMs. Okay I'm a PM, but my parents arenot.

An in Germany the "recommanded @ night" - atribute is more or less used to say " extreme stelth required".

So I think the type "Night Cache" might be usefull.