Hey, QFC we love your site!

geocacher_coza

For the guys not following or reading the GeocachingRanking Blog the following blog was posted yesterday!

Having created the ranking system in mid 2005 (fine, Charlie created it, I just tagged along), we saw a boom in cachers/ caches and caching. This was a great and unexpected effect of the site. Some people embraced the light competitiveness that it added, while others stuck to their guns and cached purely for the enjoyment, and the last few quit their jobs and took on caching as a full time job… (ahem… TVM…. C&C :lol: ). Since then things are still on the rise, but in terms of the "boom", well it popped.

The ranking system is now facing a new breed of cachers who place and find caches purely to climb the rankings. I can not guess if they gain the same fulfilment from placing a cache or if they merely "have to place another cache today". Here I use the vague term “they”, since there are quite a few, and many of us fall into this group (all be, not at top of it). I have found myself saying "I must find 30 caches this weekend so I can overtake X.", or "I must place a cache to bring up my number of caches placed.".

With the above ideas/ thoughts buzzing around in my head (like the angry wasps at Across an Olive), I have to wonder if the benefits of the ranking system outweigh its downfalls, how many people would prefer the ranking system to be gone from their lives, how many people would be happier people without it. ;) More importantly, how many people enjoy it!

It goes without saying that we were all richer before it.

dadgum those fuel costs.......

AND here is my answer:

There will always be a place for the ranking! The problem of cachers placing caches "just to get numbers up" will always be there-- with or without your site. You just have to look at the USA forum to see that this problem exist everywhere and not just because of a site that shows the stats.

Your timing of making the site was just to perfect I would say. Remember geocaching in SA are only now taking off big time and YOUR site did a lot to help put it on the map- so to speak.

I say NO your site did not promote the placing of caches just to get number up. Yes in my humble opinion there are a few cachers out there just placing caches without any thought and “just to get the numbers up” but I do not believe it is because of your ranking system. Your site just gave us all the little competitors’ edge, AND that is good for the sport. I enjoy the ranking system and all it stands for

DON’T LET IS DISAPPEAR!

Edited by geocacher_coza

Hi QFC, We love your new blog and will watch it with interest.

I actually enjoy the competitiveness in the numbers game and always enjoy watching your site to see when fellow cachers are achieving their milestones.

WRT some newer geocachers dodgy placements, I like to think of it this way. If you tell a monkey to go hide 1000 caches, the chances are that 1 or 2 might actually be really great caches, so I would rather sit back watching the posts on a cache before I decide whether it is worth my time.

Just my 2c worth.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the kind words. Don't worry I am not going to do anything silly, but you all get 10 free points. The blog entry was merely the musings of a tired developer :blink: It was also to see what people thoughts are on the who ranking idea and whether it is worth it all :blink:

Glad that you enjoy the site, numbers or not!

And thanks TGF, we now know that we will at least have one reader. :huh:

Hi QFC,

We also luv the ranking site, and I think it has its place. As the saying often goes, each to his own, if people find pleasure in caching numbers so be it. I would like another dimension in the system though, can't we earn points for moving travelbugs? for me it is one of the nice aspects, and I will often visit a cache two or three times, just to pick up TB's, but I don't think it would be practical, as I suspect you'll have to add it manually, but then again, maybe you'll have enough time to calculate it manually :rolleyes:

Hi QFC

I also see bit of competition as healthy but what I really like is the reminder that you have not being active for 3 weeks or more. Time fly’s and before you know it a month have past without any outdoor fun. Only change I would like to see is more points for placing and maybe for retrieving a multi. I like doing multi’s and are often surprised at the effort that goes into making, finding this cache a pleasant experience.

<_<

Hi There,

I like the idea too, but cannot seem to get added to the system despite sending 2 or 3 messages. :)

Also just in my mere 14 finds and some DNF, I have noticed some shoddy hides (probably for the numbers as mentioned in this forum) but have been on some great ones too...

Please can I be added to the Ranking System? :huh:

Hey TripTrick,

Sorry about the delay, but I think I have only ignored one email from you <_< Truthfully, sorry for the delay, our "support staff" has been cut in two and I have no access to my geocaching mail at work.

But, you plea for help has been heard and you have been added to the ranking site. Your profile page is here.

<_< Now now guys, play nice. <_<

I promise I will attend to you emails. Should someone offer me a faster internet at home I will be able to serve your needs and update the site more regularly.

Also should a nice Capetonian be willing to help out with adding new cachers/ password stuff I would be greatly appreciative.

Just a matter of interest. I went on to see what the rankings look like. I mainly want to see the guys reaching milestones. But for some reason or another it has not updated the ranks in over 7 days. I don't know who is active or not and who is reaching milestones anymore. Is there a problem on the updates?

So how is everyone feeling without knowing how well you are ranked!

I am sure that certain cachers are worried that they are not fluttering up the ladder fast enough and that others are scurrying along to make sure that they are not winged past.

I have spotted the error. Though the fix will unfortunately invole a rebuild of the code and since my PC is in 30 peices at the moment I do not see this being fixed until next month.

On the other hand if some one wants to pay me I am sure I can have it done by Friday night! :huh: MUHUHAHAHA (what did He Man always say? :lol:)

On a serious not I will try and fix it though with the lack of source control I may have to call in a certain Technology engineer in Edinburgh to help out.

I still think that the lack in fixing the problem has nothing to do with technology, source code, PC, etc.

I think it is due to sore muscles, aching bones, etc from the Otter Trail hike. :lol: Welcome back in Gauteng. Hope you enjoyed your break in Europe and the Southern Cape! :huh:

PC in 30 Pieces. My goodness. My PC is a loaded machine. With 4 HDD, CD-Rom, DVD-RW, 4 Cooling fans, 4 Ram Modules, Processor and Heatsink, Stiffy drive, Graphics card, PSU and Case. With all of that apart it still doesn't count up as 30 pieces. You must have one mean rig to have to consist of so many parts. You probably counted the screws too. Haa haa haa.

Put the bloody thing back together man.... Give us our stats back. LOL.

Waits patiently in the corner waiting for the shocking truth. Less caching in the month results in lower rank.....

So, QFC, how's it going with the re-build of the site (and your computer!)?

No pressure, you understand... ;)

Currently with the state of my lodging (or lack there of) re-assembling my PC is a mamoth task.

Had family from France over this weekend, but maybe I can squeeze some time in to find the screen one of these days.

Hold on guys... And while the ranking is down, why not enjoy the smaller parts of the site.... Update your profiles, check out some of the pics.... Take part in the TB race!

Edited by QFC

Hold on guys... And while the ranking is down, why not enjoy the smaller parts of the site.... Update your profiles, check out some of the pics.... Take part in the TB race!

..... Knit a jersey, grow some crops, build a house, visit the old age home, introduce gramps to geocaching, go to Tibet......... Mmmmmmm....

"Its Alive!"

cries of Henry Frankenstein

It looks like the site is once again health. Please make use of the update stats link at the bottom of the home page to update that stats once every 8 hours.

Have fun all.

p.s. I will be adding all of the people that have requested to be added in the next day. If you are not up by the end of the week please mail us.

That I did. Total finds is 93 not 92. Sneaked another in while no-one was watching obviously.

Yup.... Once again it seems like the stats are broken.

I have had no leave this christmas period and do not have an internet connection at home so working on the site has been a bit of a problem.

I will be looking at it in the new year.

For the moment, THANKS for all the support... the mails just keep on flying in faster than my GPRS connection can fetch them B)

Please hold on tight..... we will get there....

I guess this is as good a place as any for this post....

Let us all be glad that C3P was visiting the country because after the abuse that Noddy and I have recieved I was very close to pulling down the site. ...... bygones......

While looking for a way to solve the issue that SOME cacher's stats do not update I have added a section so that cachers can update their own stats manually. Not ideal... but if you want to prove something our keep your listing up to date it will work finr for the moment.

I appologise to all for not getting back to your emails. I will attempt to do so when I have a chance.

You can update your stats manually from:

The profile management section

Sorry but I get this message....

Insufficient Privileges

You do not have rights to view the page that you selected.

Oh well - will just have to wait...

Hmmm.... you have to log on to the site with the user name and password that I was meant to have give you... :D (next plan.... allow cachers to add themselves and request lost passwords) we will see how little real work I can get done today.

Haa haaa, tried to do a bogus update but that didn't change any thing. Also went back to 1 find and 1 hide and back to the correct figures but it didn't play with. Must be a special reward.... OK just had a look at the top 30 days and see I am the most active cacher with 100 finds and 35 hides.... By hook or by crook I got to the top of at least one list whaaa haa haaa haaa.......

Edited by Wazat