Caching with a new baby

After a five-month hiatus (apart from a Virtual and an event cache) we are hoping to get back to caching but this time with a one month old baby! :lol:

What we were wondering is does anyone have any hints, tips and tricks for going about this crazy activity with a new baby in tow?

Also does anyone have any recommendations for caches we could do around the Bracknell/Reading area or Berkshire - we've done quite a few of them but not any published in the last six months or so. We've got a pushchair but it's more of an "on-road" one - well made gravel paths are OK but we've also got a baby-sling. I imagine what we need are caches with good parking and a short-to-moderate walk, possibly style-free... 5/5s are out of the question too!

Thanks guys

Phil, Ruth and Abigail

PS. Should we create a new account with a new caching name too!?! ;)

I started caching when our son was one.

All I can say is - only ever cache in pairs when baby's with you - at the very least this leaves one to hold the baby while the other attempts anything adventurous.

We used a backpack carrier - one with a fold out stand - and managed to get to most places we wanted to.

i wasn't a cacher when we had young children but we did alot of walking. i would say the sling is the way to go.then we had a frame type back carrier. As far as caches aren't there plenty along the reading /newbury canal. good flat walking. you could always re do them so abigails new cache nick gets a good head start before she can read and write! good luck!

Edited by tteggod trackers

Take care what you are swapping into a cache. The next visitors may not be equipped for a baby ;):):lol: .

Seriously though, although I was not caching when my children were young, they used to go everywhere with me in a backpack style of baby carrier.

Just get out and try. Ayepee

We started geocaching in November (we have a six month old and 2 and half year old). We wouldn't be without a baby carrying rucksack which is ideal and secure transport (and has loads of handy pockets for stuff). Our toddler really enjoys finding 'treasure' although sometimes is a bit spoilt for choice at certain caches.

We've also discovered that is is worth feeding the baby at the car park before we set off by foot!

Once they're old enough then back carriers are the mainstay but get a good one - you wouldn't want to carry a 25Kg rucksack with nasty thin shoulder straps and a grot hip belt. (We got a Kelty Kids one from Brighams which works fine) A decent one will be in use a lot longer - we were still using it for our eldest when he was 4 or 5 years on the basis of doing longer walks and if he hit empty after 3/4 of it then instead of cajoling/dragging/carrying in arms/on shoulders he just got loaded up to finish off. Don't forget that they are just hanging there in the cold while you're exercising to keep warm, an all in one wind/waterproof (Togz for example) and an attachable sun/rain hood help too.

Having said all that our ordinary on road pram goes most places. Mud hoses out of the wheels easily enough and the rain cover always comes even on the sunniest days as it keeps little fingers out of the nettles as you brush through that awkward bit of path...

Best trick we've found with the pram is to have an old climbing sling and a couple of karabiners. Tree roots/long grass/stones and uneven ground can be a pain so we clip a krab to the frame by each front wheel then someone in front can unweight the front wheels so the pram pusher doesn't jar to a halt every few metres. Works a treat, anything would do but the sling/krabs technique is quick and easy and they do sleep better in the pram)

Last tip - don't walk them into any low branches in the back carrier - I've done it once, having got our eldest through 4-5y in it unscathed I walked our youngest into a thorn tree going over a stile. The deep scratch started over her right eye, across the bridge of her nose and below her left eye. Having not damaged either eye it was still an unpleasant couple of weeks waiting to find out if she'd scarred (she hadn't) - slow down and preferably have a spotter when you're around trees...

Edited by Archer4

Last tip - don't walk them into any low branches in the back carrier - I've done it once, having got our eldest through 4-5y in it unscathed I walked our youngest into a thorn tree going over a stile. The deep scratch started over her right eye, across the bridge of her nose and below her left eye. Having not damaged either eye it was still an unpleasant couple of weeks waiting to find out if she'd scarred (she hadn't) - slow down and preferably have a spotter when you're around trees...

I did a similar thing whilst after a cache - ducked under a low branch and heard a loud thump - it was my daughters head meeting up with the branch. No damage done to the tree, but my little girl screamed so much until I gave her an acorn to play with!

Never told the missus about it though - dont think I'll get over the guilt for a long while yet!

Ours were between 20 months and 5 years old when we first took them caching. The youngest needed transport and we got an amazing off-road buggy specifically for caching; a "Mountain Buggy Terrain". I've literally pushed it across ploughed fields, lifted it over countless styles (complete with sleeping child) and any terrain less difficult is dispatched with ease.

The important design criteria appear to be: VERY light frame and rigid structure, large pneumatic wheels to bridge potholes and ride comfort, fixed wheels (not turning) for predictability across rough surfaces, hammock style seat for comfort.

As others have observed, toilet breaks and meals need to be planned into caching trips for everyone's enjoyment.

We went caching with Hope when she was 5 days old. My wife is a big fan of the freedom sling. it goes around your shoulders and the child is held close to you so its like being cuddled. she loves it and sleeps the whole time she is in it. but everyone has also commented on how good a child she is which also helps. very content.

Congratulations!

We went out walking with the kids in slings and then a backpack later. When they were small enough to carry we continued to do most things. You just have to pace yourself according to the age of the child, we did a sightseeing trip round London when my son was 6 weeks old, we found a few new parks we didn't know about at feeding & changing times!

Its when they get too heavy to carry you have a few years when life is a little more restricted....now we are into the pre teens "I'm NOT doing that!" . Those who read our logs will be familiar with "Zed wouldn't come caching, so we dashed out for ....".

I have seen a couple of new babies that as well as having a geocaching name, also have a TB associated with them. One had a log book that could be signed at events - makes a great keepsake.

We started of with our year old in a pushchair, but after the first weekend of pushing through mud and along bridle paths, we went straight to Blacks the outdoor store and bought a baby carrier. This has given us a lot more freedom to choose the caches we look for. He loves it being in there and falls asleep a lot of the time, and the rest of the time he is pulling dads hair or kicking him in the kidneys, which he also likes.

The carrier we got came with a shower/sun sheild that fits over the top. This is also very useful when walking through woods as it also protects him from branches and the likes that might be over hanging paths.

Congratulations on your new cache finder.