Who wants to help me learn the basics!

Boolala

Will be receiving my first GPS unit (Garmin 60CX) Monday and just started checking into this Geo-caching stuff. I never heard of it or knew was it was until I Googled it. I went to Geocaching.com and tried to pull up some info on a few around my area but have no idea how to start, what's the deal with downloading way points etc, etc, etc----wow, I have a lot to learn. And to think they didn't even have cordless telephones when I was a kid (I'm ONLY 46 years old). Technology! Unreal!

Anybody? :D

I REALLY wish I had a GPS unit when I got lost one day in the UP of Michigan while hunting and it started snowing like crazy and got dark in a hurry! I was lucky I made the right turn by guess and got out of there alive!

Will be receiving my first GPS unit (Garmin 60CX) Monday and just started checking into this Geo-caching stuff. I never heard of it or knew was it was until I Googled it. I went to Geocaching.com and tried to pull up some info on a few around my area but have no idea how to start, what's the deal with downloading way points etc, etc, etc----wow, I have a lot to learn. And to think they didn't even have cordless telephones when I was a kid (I'm ONLY 46 years old). Technology! Unreal!

Anybody? :D

I REALLY wish I had a GPS unit when I got lost one day in the UP of Michigan while hunting and it started snowing like crazy and got dark in a hurry! I was lucky I made the right turn by guess and got out of there alive!

Welcome to the game/sport/hobby/obsession/FUN!!! I've been geocaching about a year and a half and love it. I'm in the Saginaw area. You don't mention where you are, but I'd be glad to help you out if you get over this way.

:D

Welcome to our Fun! As Briansnat told you.. find mark and enter coods then goto whatever it saved at.. I never read the manual for 2 weeks but is nice to have an ole' hand help you along. My friends took me out my first time and I have been hooked ever since. ask around.. you might be surprised at who is Geocaching already!

Oh yeah! If you have any questions click on my name and go to my profile. Just email and I will help all i can

Edited by bilbad

Anybody? :lol:

I am also getting a 60cx on Monday, it is to replace the 60cx I lost about 3 weeks ago. There is a way to enter your contact info like your name, address, phone number on the splash screen when the unit is turned on. However in my case it apparently didn't matter to the finder. City Navigator will help tremendously, especially getting to the cache with Turn by Turn navigation and detailed maps. One recommendation is to buy a 1GB micro SD card, they are only about $10.95 includes shipping and you can download the entire City Navigator DVD Maps to it.

http://www.meritline.com/kingston-1gb-micro-sd-card.html

To enter geocache waypoints, you can do it manually by hitting the "Mark" button and manually change the coords to the correct geocache waypoint and then choose "goto". Or you can download them and transfer them automatically to the 60cx via a USB Cable.

I remember as a kid in the UP of Michigan-St. Ignace I would pick up my Grandparents Telephone and an operator would ask what number you would like to be connected to (without dialing!) I'm only 41 yrs. old.

BTW, I have several hides out in the snowy woods of UP Michigan if you want to test out your new Garmin 60cx ;)

I'm near Lansing (little town called Dimondale) I am looking forward to starting this. I ordered City Navigator with the unit but I think that won't help me much in Geocaching will it? Like I said, totally new to this.

Darn! The MiGO (Michigan Geocaching Organization) Winter Social was just last Saturday in Eureka, not far from where you are. There were a couple hundred geocachers there, and you would have gotten tons of advice (and dragged out to find caches) from a great bunch of fun people. There are some other events coming up down that way too...

Operation Ice Walk 2007

Operation Ice Walk 2007 Part Deux

2nd Annual Mich Chili Cookoff

Jackson Rendezvous

Also, check out the MiGO website and forums. They are a great local source of info and help. As bilbad said, you'll be surprised at how many people close to you are geocachers too!

There are lots of good caches in the Lansing area, although I've only cached over there once since I started. I still haven't gotten all the ones closer to home. Your whole family is going to love it! You'll find it's great to have kids and/or dog(s) with you for "cover" so muggles don't notice you.... :lol: I do get over that way once in a while, and always like to hook up with other cachers. It makes it lots more fun. Feel free to email any time..

I love the street-routing thing; it's very helpful, although my GPS sometimes has a very unusual way of getting me where I want to go!

Miz ;)