Donald Duck Hitchiker

Kinderfolk

I recently retrieved a Donald Duck hitchiker (identical to TBN0X3) from a cache. There is no TB tag with it. However there is a note saying that 30 of them were released about 5 years BEFORE Travel Bugs existed, and that each of them had their own little log book. There is no log book with this one.

Has anyone else encountered one of these? I would like to contact the original owner to see what they want me to do with it.

I've tried tracing backwards through the various caches that it has visited, but I lose it's trail after several caches.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Kinderfolk

I've come across a Hitchiker awhile back...a fish rather than a Donald Duck. Donald was probably started AFTER the invention of TB's, if there was actually a note from the owner that said so.

Long story short, I googled for the "Hitchiker Geocaching", and although I came up with mentions of the non-TB travelers, the only site that dealt with them had a note that the Geocaching Hitchiker logs hadn't worked out and had been discontinued.

Now there is something called a Traveler Tag, similar to a Hitchiker, in which there is no pre-made TB tag. Their web addy is http://www.travelertags.com/. Hope that this info helps!

It may have been something unrelated to geocaching (maybe it was a letterboxing thing), because 5 years before travel bugs is before caching as well. Caching was invented in mid-2000 when Pres. Clinton eliminated the intentional error the satellites had put into GPS readings for national security reasons and the accuracy became close enough to make using a GPS to search for these things a viable activity.

Edited by HaLiJuSaPa

I've come across a Hitchiker awhile back...a fish rather than a Donald Duck. Donald was probably started AFTER the invention of TB's, if there was actually a note from the owner that said so.

Long story short, I googled for the "Hitchiker Geocaching", and although I came up with mentions of the non-TB travelers, the only site that dealt with them had a note that the Geocaching Hitchiker logs hadn't worked out and had been discontinued.

Now there is something called a Traveler Tag, similar to a Hitchiker, in which there is no pre-made TB tag. Their web addy is http://www.travelertags.com/. Hope that this info helps!

Thanks for your help.

I'll check out the web site.

Kinderfolk