To archive or not to archive?

J.A.R.S.

I've got a long running cache that's been active since 2002 (it's coming up on its 5th birthday - over 200 visitors). Every now and then I think that maybe I should archive it. If I archive it I open up the scenic spot for someone else to plant. If someone else plants there then I can have the fun of finding a new cache and other finders will probably enjoy a revisit to the location.

I thought I'd poll other geocachers to get opinions. Leave it because it would be a shame to archive a viable old cache, or archive it to open the site up to another hider and give others an excuse to re-visit an interesting and scenic location?

R of J.A.R.S.

If it's still viable and causing a great deal of enjoyment I don't see why you should get rid of it. If it's becoming a maintenance nightmare for you then putting it up for adoption might be the answer. Having someone adopt it might open it up for a new look or location, but without pulling the cache out completely. Plus you have to consider people like me who go through the old logs and read what those before me have had to say.

I don't think that euthanising your cache is an option.

I can see where you're coming from with the archiving option, 'everyone' has found the cache, so why keep it out there, but I don't agree with it.

If I like an area, I go back and revisit with or without the cache. Also, if someone was really in to planting a cache there, they could presumably place one 161m away...

Keep it availiable! Go bring it a cake for its anniversary (new container, log book, swag). If anything - this means that your cache has nothing wrong with it! Why give away the location to another cacher who might hide something silly, or muggleable.. maybe noone will hide anything there! Then you archived it for nothing!

Archive it.

If you have to ask the question, it's probably time to archive it. It's a nagging doubt that made you ask. Go with your guts... It brought a lot of people pleasure, but a little change never hurt anyone either.

Archiving the cache opens a spot and allows some fresh cache to be set up there. It also gives you a bit more time to think up and set up your next 5-year cache!

Just because something is really good, doesn't mean it should last forever.

One of the risks, I think, that geocaching has is that it can become stale. By archiving old caches three things happen:

1. cache density is reduced (freeing up the spot). Although density isn't a problem EVERYWHERE, reducing cache density helps prevent it from becoming a problem anywhere.

2. archiving a cache and removing it after a few years allows the area to return to its natural state (social trails fade, etc.) This sort of concern is pretty much above reproach by those who would have geocaching banned. It makes it really, really hard for detractors to argue a lack of concern for the areas around cache hides if caches are removed after a fruitful life rather than kept up forever.

3. it allows a new cache to be placed there, with a different theme, puzzle or style of hide, contributing to freshness of the hobby. Freshness, I think, gives this hobby a good image to people outside the hobby who might otherwise think of us as littering weirdos.

There really is no downside to archiving a cache. I guess I don't understand the logic of keeping a cache forever.

Edited by geoSquid

Just because something is really good, doesn't mean it should last forever.

One of the risks, I think, that geocaching has is that it can become stale. By archiving old caches three things happen:

1. cache density is reduced (freeing up the spot). Although density isn't a problem EVERYWHERE, reducing cache density helps prevent it from becoming a problem anywhere.

2. archiving a cache and removing it after a few years allows the area to return to its natural state (social trails fade, etc.) This sort of concern is pretty much above reproach by those who would have geocaching banned. It makes it really, really hard for detractors to argue a lack of concern for the areas around cache hides if caches are removed after a fruitful life rather than kept up forever.

3. it allows a new cache to be placed there, with a different theme, puzzle or style of hide, contributing to freshness of the hobby. Freshness, I think, gives this hobby a good image to people outside the hobby who might otherwise think of us as littering weirdos.

There really is no downside to archiving a cache. I guess I don't understand the logic of keeping a cache forever.

All very good points GeoSquid and along the lines of what I have been thinking especially in terms opening it up to a fresh cache with a different theme.

This cache is an urban cache so a social trail isn't a problem. And I don't think it would be considered litter since I end up replacing the container about once every 2-3 months (new container, new logbook, new content if needed).

Glad to hear that folks don't think that we're hogging a good spot. I'm going to go with the consensus on this and keep the cache active.

It's one of the first geocaches in this city. When we planted it we thought it might last a couple of months but 5 years later it's still there and never been muggled. It's great to hear that it's played a special role in TTs geocaching history (and the logs indicate a few others too, including a recent proposal of marriage). It has also appeared in the local newspaper back in 2002. I guess these are all good reasons to keep this one alive. Thanks for all the feedback. :huh:

R of J.A.R.S.

J.A.R.S., I'm glad that you chose to keep your cache going. I have always found your caches to be well maintained. Your cache in question is among the oldest that I have found, and I'm always thrilled to find an older cache! Especially one that's in good shape and where the owner is still active. Another aspect that hasn't been touched on: What if you gave up the spot and another cache was placed and not maintained and allowed to deteriorate? We've all seen our share of these. Knowing how you care for your caches and your attention to detail (especially some of the creative logbooks in your letterboxes) I'd say keep 'em going for as long as you feel like! Also remember, there are always new cachers coming up to find your caches - it's not as if everyone has found them already. A good cache is a good example for the newbies and will hopefully leave an impression when they start to place caches.

Ted.

Glad to hear you'll be keeping the cache. Finding an old cache is like finding a piece of geocaching history, and there's just something neat about logging one of the originals. Between mugglings, changing land uses, and some early cachers moving away or dropping out of the sport, the number of really old caches is always in decline. I think it's good to preserve those left when possible.