Explorist 210 GC software and cache size

The Vargman

Just wonderin'. It seems so basic, but the size of the cache is not included in the given GC software for the unit. I have been manually replacing the "placed by" field with the size field to accomodate, but it seems awfully tedious for such a basic cache stat. Any helpful tips out there to either A. Fix this, or B. Make it easier for the cache size to appear on the main page, or even C. Automatically change the "Placed by" data with "size" data?

Thanks in advance for the help folks! :laughing:

Are you using the geocaching software that came with the unit? It transfers the files to the GPSr and adds all of the supplemental data (Who, when, D/T, last found).

Yes I am. I guess the issue is that I see no place for the size of the cache. It's just not in there in the given software. Transferring into the software from the "swiss army thing" is fine, but it eliminates the size stat (probably because there isn't a place for it in the 210 GC software). Sooo....when I send it to the GPS... no size.

Just wonderin'. It seems so basic, but the size of the cache is not included in the given GC software for the unit. I have been manually replacing the "placed by" field with the size field to accomodate, but it seems awfully tedious for such a basic cache stat. Any helpful tips out there to either A. Fix this, or B. Make it easier for the cache size to appear on the main page, or even C. Automatically change the "Placed by" data with "size" data?

Thanks in advance for the help folks! :D

if you are talking about the cache style like Traditional or multi cache or event, my 210 shows that. i use GSAK to upload to the 210. you are useing gpx file aint you? i think you will have to use the gpx file to get that info. good luck

ric

Edited by ricstone

Since it looks like you aren't a premium member, which means the loc files you download don't have much information at all. Need to be a premium member to get all that kind of info

Ok. The premium member thing is not my problem. I have access through another premium member login. And the size (not style) info is in the spreadsheet/gpx file before it gets translated into the GC software that comes with the explorist 210. When I load the gpx file into the software, there is not a place for size (micro, small, regular large, other), so it filters it out. All the other information that there is a sub-type for loads fine. My question is: Is there a way for me to easily (or at least easier than manually) load/copy over this (the size) information into the given format?

Again, thanks for any help. :lol:

I've got an even bigger problem with the 210... the limits on characters that can be entered as far as the cache names, clues, etc. I'd love to be able to add a few lines of description, such as "Lots of Muggles" or "Near the Brick Wall," but it seems that the clues, and cache names too, are truncated to small bits of uselessness. I was trying to just manually add the cache size to the name of the cache (I.e. oh thank heaven # whatever - small) but then it truncates it anyway. Curses!

Anyone have any thoughts on a way around the terrible magellan truncation? I'm seriously considering exchanging mine for a garmin :lol:

Ok. The premium member thing is not my problem. I have access through another premium member login.

May not get a lot of help here with that statement.I mean its like 3 bucks a month.Im not sure,but Id like to think the 3 bucks goes to helping us all in the long run.

Ok. The premium member thing is not my problem. I have access through another premium member login. And the size (not style) info is in the spreadsheet/gpx file before it gets translated into the GC software that comes with the explorist 210. When I load the gpx file into the software, there is not a place for size (micro, small, regular large, other), so it filters it out. All the other information that there is a sub-type for loads fine. My question is: Is there a way for me to easily (or at least easier than manually) load/copy over this (the size) information into the given format?

Again, thanks for any help. :huh:

As a E600 user, I don't think so. The best results I have gotten is by using GSAK to upload the cache information and put a tag at the end of the cache name to distinguish size. The tag code looks like this:

%name(%con1)