All that glitters......

Fish Eagle

Hey, I'm also a new collector. Getting hooked on this geocoin thing.

Also release the bulk of my coins (except for the Unknown soldier coin - which my wife is wearing as a piece of jewellery at the moment!).

Really enjoy the collecting. And I think Fish Eagloe and cioncol had a lot to do with my collecting.

Seeing Fish Eagle's large xcollection in SA - and the "pleasure" of watching the provincioal/country flags changing regularly after moves (HEY - HOW DO YOU DO THAT?), and cincol getting a few coins with me to start me off.

I was also blesed to get a coin or two from US cachers too as gifts.

So I'm pretty hooked now on a small scale.

Pity about the spelling though! :unsure:

Speed typing will do that to you :(:)

At the S"ring event, I met up with someone, and saw they had a small collection of geocoins. I had seen coins and TB's before in caches, but never from this angle. Later on with the prize giving, did I get to know that this person was Andy from Fish Eagle.

When the camping event came up in Utrecht, and I saw that Fish Eagle was also attending, my hopes rose that I might see this collection.

Another thing that struck me odd (at the time), was Wazat and his little duck.

He takes this one TB with him where ever it goes, and it belongs to a girl somewhere in the UK.

Now, since Utrecht, I mostly purchase 2 coins, release one, and keep one as a collectable. and also take a TB and keep it with me for quite some time, and log this TB / coin in and out of every cache we do, and I must say I have had some nice feedback from the owners, on 3 or 4 of these coins / TBs. To me they get to see a little of my geocaching experience.

I also take a photo of these TB's in the scenery, and upload at least 1 photo every second cache we visit. Sometimes the photos are exiting sometime dull.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/log.aspx?L...bd-f25aaf9f778b

http://www.geocaching.com/track/log.aspx?L...bb-cc5f06d59c17

Also in one of the Icenrye videos there is someone that must have had over 1,000 coins in 2 files. That must be amazing to have / see.

I also keep a personal log book of all the caches we have done, and now started a section of interesting TB's and Coins we have come across. So not only do I collect personal TB's coins, but also the ones we cross paths with.

TB's & GC's are great. I also look out for them at caches. I love seeing other peoples ideas and some of the really cool coins out there.

Some of the icons are really a lot nicer than the coins themselves, and other coins are just brilliant. Look out for the 4 "ernies" coins that I have just released into SA - they are stunning (Flower of Life; I love Geocaching; Labyrinth & Vyrembi's Flying V).

I also often go to a cache close by just to discover a coin if I haven't seen it before.

When the camping event came up in Utrecht, and I saw that Fish Eagle was also attending, my hopes rose that I might see this collection.

And thanks to Andy he did bring some of that personal collection along, with preprinted tracking codes so we didn't have to write them all down. I think that is a brilliant idea as sometimes in a frenzy of trying to get all them tracking codes we are bound to miss one or two or write them down incorrectly.

Another thing that struck me odd (at the time), was Wazat and his little duck.

He takes this one TB with him where ever it goes, and it belongs to a girl somewhere in the UK.

I took a liking to Beaky the Duck and he has done many travels with me. Sort of became it's adoptive parent. He had a sister TB that was muggled in the first few weeks of been released. Beakys owner is very happy that Beaky is in safe hands. Although we have virtually traveled to every cache in this area and a few in Durban and JHB. I am wondering if Beaky doesn't want to head back north for the winter....

See Beakys travels here.

Also in one of the Icenrye videos there is someone that must have had over 1,000 coins in 2 files. That must be amazing to have / see.

And even more amazing to be able to carry so many coins, which episode was that in...?

I also keep a personal log book of all the caches we have done, and now started a section of interesting TB's and Coins we have come across. So not only do I collect personal TB's coins, but also the ones we cross paths with.

Some people are Blogging their caching experiences, like Bats. But last time I looked he had not updated for a while. And his skinny rear was still up on the page.... eeeew. Hee hee

Edited by Wazat

I sometimes wander no one has thought of a Nelson Mandela coin yet?

That would be a big seller!

Hmmm, I thought of it. Discussed it with the mint, and they advised against it. By the time we will have permission to use Nelson Mandela's face on a geocoin, I'll probably be 132 years old... :D

B.t.w. I'm noob coin collector and manufacturer... LOL...

Our next coin that we are planning around is "The First South African Goldrush"... Pilgrims Rest 1873 :D

Prototype image :Dpilgrimsrest_goldRush_small.JPG

Edited by eragonSaphira

Talking about some cool coins, met Anton yesterday to collect two coins from him and spotted two of the nicest coins we have seen to date -

World Wide Flash Mob Event Geocoin (WWFM III) coin encrusted with diamonds !!

flash-mob-lt-gld-325.gif

& The 3" Quadrant Geocoin, the first working GC we have seen.

quadrant-coin-brz-map-325.jpg

The quadrant looks amazing.

Hope it's at the WWFM.

The WWFM coin looks a bit like a Wretched Cacher coin I saw of Cincols. Also has the diamond studs as eyes on the skull.

Looks really good.

BTW: I've dropped my "I Love Geocaching" coin in 7 Wonders. Any cacher going for it (you can get Trace Centre / Monkey Nuts at the same time) - will be rewarded with an excellent coin. One of my favourities.

1696a_k.jpg

1696_suncatcher.jpg

Edited by Carbon Hunter
Talking about some cool coins, met Anton yesterday to collect two coins from him and spotted two of the nicest coins we have seen to date -

World Wide Flash Mob Event Geocoin (WWFM III) coin encrusted with diamonds !!

flash-mob-lt-gld-325.gif

& The 3" Quadrant Geocoin, the first working GC we have seen.

quadrant-coin-brz-map-325.jpg

Yep they will be at the event.

There will be two un-activated coins up as prices: eragonSaphira sponsored Dragon coin, and I have sponsored the a Flash Mob coin.

This amazing (working) Quadrant coin will be on be there to be discovered. I hope to get a few more of these working coins.

Hey there chaps

Since moving to Ireland i have been collecting coins like crazy, simply because it's so easy to buy them here. I have the quadrant coin and the nocturnal coin and the latter is a massive coin. For those who like puzzle coins have a look at www.cachingplace.com they have a fab puzzle coin that looks like a pocket watch, its really great.

here is a few of the ones i have.d9c5f285-f20e-48f6-b483-de16b5183733.jpg

Hmmm, I thought of it. Discussed it with the mint, and they advised against it. By the time we will have permission to use Nelson Mandela's face on a geocoin, I'll probably be 132 years old... :grin:

Our next coin that we are planning around is "The First South African Goldrush"... Pilgrims Rest 1873 :huh:

Prototype image :(pilgrimsrest_goldRush_small.JPG

The "Pilgrim" looks very good. What will be on the reverse?

Hey there chaps

Since moving to Ireland i have been collecting coins like crazy, simply because it's so easy to buy them here. I have the quadrant coin and the nocturnal coin and the latter is a massive coin. For those who like puzzle coins have a look at www.cachingplace.com they have a fab puzzle coin that looks like a pocket watch, its really great.

here is a few of the ones i have.=

Hi Batsgonemad

Where did you purchase the nocternal coin from?

I would love to have this coin, but coinsAndPins do not seem to sell this one anymore.

Regards

Anton

Hey Anton

Coins and pins are the only ones to make it, might i suggest you subscribe to their news letter to be informed of new coins so that you can pre order them. The nocturnal has not been available other than on pre order but keep an eye on coins and pins they might do a rerun,

And no i would never release my coins, i have done once and guess what its missing so its my personal collection that im collecting which is there for people to discover

Hmmm, I thought of it. Discussed it with the mint, and they advised against it. By the time we will have permission to use Nelson Mandela's face on a geocoin, I'll probably be 132 years old... :lol:

Our next coin that we are planning around is "The First South African Goldrush"... Pilgrims Rest 1873 :blink:

Prototype image :)pilgrimsrest_goldRush_small.JPG

Still working on it... Not sure yet... Thought about something with the flag colours.

Still working on it... Not sure yet... Thought about something with the flag colours.

Great - what about a soccer themed one in the colours of the flag - in prep for the 2010. No official branding - but a multi-coloured soccer ball will get the message across?

Hi from the UK, hope you don't mind me gatecrashing your thread :grin:

I've just picked up the most beautiful geocoin - a South African coin with the Big Five on the back (or front?!) - belonging to Fish Eagle. It really is one of the nicest I've come across.

So I'm on a mission to try to get one for my collection. A Google search hasn't helped a lot, so I was wondering if there was anyone on here who could tell me anything about the coin - e.g. it is still available; any links to dealers?

I'd be grateful for any advice please - thanks :grin:

Lynn

Edited by Rainbow's End

Hi from the UK, hope you don't mind me gatecrashing your thread :grin:

I've just picked up the most beautiful geocoin - a South African coin with the Big Five on the back (or front?!) - belonging to Fish Eagle. It really is one of the nicest I've come across.

So I'm on a mission to try to get one for my collection. A Google search hasn't helped a lot, so I was wondering if there was anyone on here who could tell me anything about the coin - e.g. it is still available; any links to dealers?

I'd be grateful for any advice please - thanks :grin:

Lynn

Hi there,

Pleased that you enjoyed our traveller - thanks!! :D

The coin was commissioned by NotBlonde

They were sold out some time ago, but try contacting him.

I agree, it's a beautiful coin!! B)

Hi, I'm a South African living and working in the UK at the moment and have recently been bitten by the geocaching bug and more recently have been bitten by the geocoin bug! I wish I'd found geocaching earlier but will be keeping an eye on this thread as that new coin coming out with Pilgrim's Rest looks great - I was lucky enough to come across one of the eragonSaphira & GRC Mint geocoins which travels with me to each and every cache I visit.

I can't wait for my next trip home to explore a different side of SA.

Hi, I'm a South African living and working in the UK at the moment and have recently been bitten by the geocaching bug and more recently have been bitten by the geocoin bug! I wish I'd found geocaching earlier but will be keeping an eye on this thread as that new coin coming out with Pilgrim's Rest looks great - I was lucky enough to come across one of the eragonSaphira & GRC Mint geocoins which travels with me to each and every cache I visit.

I can't wait for my next trip home to explore a different side of SA.

welcome - look forward to seeing you back here (in SA & the forums)

I've noticed that some people have an SA flag icon for a coin and I can only asume there is a SA coin out there. I probably should read back on this thread and ill find the answer to my question but im lazy :) Where would I buy one of those SA coins from :)

Geo.Kitten

This might be the coin that you are referring to

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1405897

They are no longer available :) but you may be lucky and pick one up on e-Bay for a reasonable price. I have seen them advertised for $20 which is quite expensive in my book.

Good Luck

I've noticed that some people have an SA flag icon for a coin and I can only asume there is a SA coin out there. I probably should read back on this thread and ill find the answer to my question but im lazy :) Where would I buy one of those SA coins from :)

Geo.Kitten

This might be the coin that you are referring to

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1405897

They are no longer available :) but you may be lucky and pick one up on e-Bay for a reasonable price. I have seen them advertised for $20 which is quite expensive in my book.

Good Luck

Yes that is the one :) o well I'll keep looking on ebay maybe I'll get lucky :)

Thanks though

K :D

I received my very first geocoin as a present from a Dutch cacher on Friday, for Sinterklaas! I released it over the weekend, it was picked up the same day and has no travelled a grand total of, dum dee dum, 31 kilometers! ;)

I can see how this can be addictive, but for me the fun'd be in the travelling the coins do, not collecting them myself. I'm planning to get a few more local coins to travel, and if I can get my hands on a micro coin, it would be awesome.

I must say though its a very nice coin, bought this with another one thinking that I would send it out in to the wild..... when it arrived I thought it looks too nice to send it in to the big wide world, so its now become the first in my coin collection.

I saw Wildbirds "Solid Silver" american coin, now that a wonderful piece!

I must say though its a very nice coin, bought this with another one thinking that I would send it out in to the wild..... when it arrived I thought it looks too nice to send it in to the big wide world, so its now become the first in my coin collection.

And its not going to be the last in your collection, welcome to the addictive world of caching coins, its all down hill from here im afraid

Just something to bump this thread.

I have just noticed that one of the first geocoins I relaesed (Blackpool Tower coin) - has been in circulation for over 18 months - has moved regularly - but has not left Gauteng yet - and has only got 241 km under the belt.

Compared to my others - that is a bit of a record.

I received my very first geocoin as a present from a Dutch cacher on Friday, for Sinterklaas! I released it over the weekend, it was picked up the same day and has no travelled a grand total of, dum dee dum, 31 kilometers! :laughing:

I can see how this can be addictive, but for me the fun'd be in the travelling the coins do, not collecting them myself. I'm planning to get a few more local coins to travel, and if I can get my hands on a micro coin, it would be awesome.

Nine months later, and the Geocoin virus is out of control! Today I activated my 15th and 16th gecoin, and 15 more awaits in my mailbox back in South Africa when I go home. :anibad: (Hopefully anyway - I heard there's a postal strike going on...)

(Most of my geocoins are travelling, and most of the 16 coins I now own were gifts from Dutch geocachers - the caching community over here is amazing.)

Coming to a cache near you soon..... ;)

bdfcc07b-0a32-4f58-bcef-9c4b0201ed7f.jpg

As almost all of the travellers that we've released over the past years are now spread across the world, and very few remain in SA, we're going to try to keep this personal geocoin issue in SA for our local geocaching friends to enjoy.

This coin is identical to our 2006 coin (except for the date), and was minted for commercial sale by the Geocoin Store/Club in shiny gold, antique gold and antique silver.

We made a limited edition in shiny silver just for ourselves, and that's what we'll be releasing into SA caches.

Coming to a cache near you soon..... :surprise:

bdfcc07b-0a32-4f58-bcef-9c4b0201ed7f.jpg

As almost all of the travellers that we've released over the past years are now spread across the world, and very few remain in SA, we're going to try to keep this personal geocoin issue in SA for our local geocaching friends to enjoy.

This coin is identical to our 2006 coin (except for the date), and was minted for commercial sale by the Geocoin Store/Club in shiny gold, antique gold and antique silver.

We made a limited edition in shiny silver just for ourselves, and that's what we'll be releasing into SA caches.

Thanks Fish Eagle….we are now also the proud owners of this lovely coin.

:laughing::o