All that glitters......

Fish Eagle

The "10 years of Geocaching" Coin is for sale. It is being offered exclusively to South Africans for 1 week. After that it will be sold to the rest of the world. It is avaialable at "The Geocoin Store". It is password protected. The password is the name of the dried meat snack that South Africans love so much. Please inform anyone you know who may be interested. It is available in 4 versions. (have a look at the world to see front and back of the spinning disc)

Anique Copper:

product1.jpg

Satin Gold:

product1.jpg

Antique Gold:

product1.jpg

Antique Silver

product1.jpg

I've ordered 10 extra and once I've received it, I will bring it along to the very next event I'm attending in Gauteng for attendees to buy.

PM me if you're interested, should cost about R110 ($10 mentioned above + shipping to SA)

(Cash @ the event pls, postage will be extra)

Worm greetings

Updatee : No more Antique Copper available from my 10 ordered, just the other colours.

Edited by Wormgeocash

A message from the Geocoin store regarding the 10 Year coin:

"Passwords are off, and we have less than 20 of each version left.  I'm going to send a newsletter this weekend to my customers, so ping your folks in South Africa to get them while they can. 

Please feel free to contact me throughout the year if you need more.  The dies will remain intact for 3 years, so I can make more anytime.  In minimum qtys of 25 of each plating.  Thanks."

Hurry Hurry if you haven't bought one!!

A message from the Geocoin store regarding the 10 Year coin:

"Passwords are off, and we have less than 20 of each version left.  I'm going to send a newsletter this weekend to my customers,.......

Newsletter received : "New From The Geocoin Store

Forest Kami is BACK in stock in two versions. You can also find the Year of the Rabbit, in two versions. The last bit of news is the South Africa 10 Years geocoin. Just a few remain from a commissioned project by the South Africa geocachers. "

That means mine must be coming soon... trouble is, I'll only be back home on Tuesday! Oh, the impatience!

Did your's arrive, Besem? Everybody else seems to have got theirs but my order seems to be taking a bit longer. Maybe it was too heavy! Patience, patience - let me wait another 10 days :mad:

Did your's arrive, Besem? Everybody else seems to have got theirs but my order seems to be taking a bit longer. Maybe it was too heavy! Patience, patience - let me wait another 10 days :mad:

Yep, mine was waiting for me in the mailbox when I returned to Grahamstown. What's up with the Jo'burg mail?

The coins look great - they'll make awesome gifts for some of my international caching friends. I'll be heading back to the Netherlands in July, where the presents will be distributed, and a little more caching will be done. :)

I got my coins on Friday.

10 out of 10 to the South African Post Office on getting the coins to me .... but,

0 out of 10 to the South African Post Office on customer service.

0 out 0f 10 to the South African Post Office on correctly copying the delivery address so I can receive the pick-up note.

0 out of 10 to the South African Post Office on their 0860 111 502 number where I held on for 1 Hour 20 minutes to speak to an "agent", and eventually put down as I had to go to a meeting.

0 out of 10 to the South African Post Office on long queues, 2 people servicing this queue, and it being the end of the month.

0 out of 10 to the South African Post Office on having their card reader not working when I had to pay the additional R34.00.

Everybody else seems to have got theirs but my order seems to be taking a bit longer. Maybe it was too heavy! Patience, patience - let me wait another 10 days :mad:

How's the patience holding out, Bruce? Got your coins yet?

Oh no.... Any more news on them?

Everybody else seems to have got theirs but my order seems to be taking a bit longer. Maybe it was too heavy! Patience, patience - let me wait another 10 days :mad:

Yes, Yes! :D They did arrive - all of them and in one piece.

It was interesting the order was split in two, supposedly from two different vendors but they both arrived safe and sound. B)

Yes, Yes! :D They did arrive - all of them and in one piece.

It was interesting the order was split in two, supposedly from two different vendors but they both arrived safe and sound. B)

Great stuff, must let me know. Which ones do you have... just the SA ones?

Checked the store, all the 10 year coins Sold Out. :blink:

How many of each were made? Clearly not enough to satiate the coin starved South African market. What are the chances of an extended run?

Alternatively, lets design another local is lekker coin...

Thanks to CapeDoc for running with the idea and seeing it through to completion. The coins are indeed beautiful collectors items and I shall treasure mine.

Checked the store, all the 10 year coins Sold Out. :blink:

How many of each were made? Clearly not enough to satiate the coin starved South African market. What are the chances of an extended run?

Alternatively, lets design another local is lekker coin...

Thanks to CapeDoc for running with the idea and seeing it through to completion. The coins are indeed beautiful collectors items and I shall treasure mine.

50 of each.

If there is enough interest I am sure another run could be made. Anyone want more?

The coin was great capeDoc - do you want to perhaps post your experiences and elarnings on the forum in case anyone else wants to make a coin in the future?

Costs, times, pros, cons, level of design required upfront (sketch or full concept), different suppliers looked at etc.

I think that would be most useful

The coin was great capeDoc - do you want to perhaps post your experiences and elarnings on the forum in case anyone else wants to make a coin in the future?

Costs, times, pros, cons, level of design required upfront (sketch or full concept), different suppliers looked at etc.

I think that would be most useful

OK

In general it was easier than I thought it would be, but that may be because I did have a lot of help.

The first thing to decide is the design. As it was a coin for "the country" I used the forums for ideas for the overall design, and got a lot of great suggestions, which were used in the final design. Link to ideas in forums.

The coin manufacturers want a specific, detailed, "finished" design. This is where I was rescued by GPS Storm. I gave a comprehensive list of ideas and raw graphics to him and he came up with the wonderful, polished, final design:

217354_10150217661208767_615353766_8386586_1022511_n.jpg

As regards design, according to the sellers at the coin store, to make the coin desirable, irregular shapes, moving parts, textures and any 3D effects should be used when possible(all the pros of design), though they do drive up the costs(cons).

Cost is a central issue. I opted to give the design over to the coin store, in return they took the cost of manufacture and I am (hopefully) going to get about 20 free coins from them in return for the design. (They have been posted, but have not yet arrived). The estimated cost of the coin I originally wanted would have been about $10.50. The owners of the store would have to market that at about $15 per coin. They wanted me to market the coin as they felt it was too expensive for them. The minimum run is 250 coins. If I took the cost of production it would have cost nearly R20 000. I would then have to distribute those to recoup my costs. In the end we cut the design back (over a long period of to and fro emails) to a level where the coin store was prepared to pay for production. This is another con. If the coin is overly complicated you probably will have to edit it to be more cost effective. In my working life, I would not had the time to market the coins and was certainly not out to profit from this venture. That's why I wanted the store to take on the hassles.

Time for production was longer than I thought taking about 4 to 5 months. A lot of that was taken up with finalizing design (paint colours, moving parts, metal finishings etc) Bank on about 3 months from the time you submit your final design if it is a simple design.

As for the choice of store, Fish Eagle gave a recommendation of "The Geocoin Store" and a name of someone to contact and I just went with it.

Hope that helps!! Its quite a task! Not one that I ever imagined I would end up doing!!! My main bit of advice would be to get help from the community. I drew on a lot of sources and received fantastic help. Thanks again to all that contributed!!

Edited by CapeDoc

As regards design, according to the sellers at the coin store, to make the coin desirable, irregular shapes, moving parts, textures and any 3D effects should be used when possible(all the pros of design), though they do drive up the costs(cons).

I just thought of an idea - what about taking some elephant dung and including it on one side in epoxy resin like this?

Real-Insect-in-Acrylic-Resin-Key-Chains.jpg

I think that may be original?

I just thought of an idea - what about taking some elephant dung and including it on one side in epoxy resin like this?

Real-Insect-in-Acrylic-Resin-Key-Chains.jpg

I think that may be original?

Not really sure how to respond to this post......Yes that would be origonal!

Practial....not really! (who would collect enough dung for a run of coins????)

Desirable...????

You would probably only need a few grams of dung per coin - and at the production rate of a kg or so per "deposit" only a few "balls of dung" would be required.

Desirability - I think also looking at the sales and marketing of recycled elephant dung in paper - and the novelty factor - it should be marketable?

Hi all,

I want to ask Coinsandpins to create more of these coins:

https://www.coinsandpins.com/index.php?route=product/search&keyword=african&category_id=0&description=1&model=1

Please mail me if you are interested so that I can get some numbers to them to see if it is viable. Please indicate your email address and how many you would like.

regards,

Notblonde

I'll be interested...

Regards, Willem aka Ysbeer

Hi all,

I want to ask Coinsandpins to create more of these coins:

https://www.coinsandpins.com/index.php?route=product/search&keyword=african&category_id=0&description=1&model=1

Please mail me if you are interested so that I can get some numbers to them to see if it is viable. Please indicate your email address and how many you would like.

regards,

Notblonde

We're definitely interested in a set of the 4 Big 5 coins, please add us to your list.

Thanks.