All that glitters......

Fish Eagle

We're thrilled to see more and more SA cachers getting into geocoins - buying, trading, collecting, releasing, finding, discovering, and getting cool new icons. We admit that we are totally addicted - the bug has bitten, and no cure in sight. So we decided to open this no-angst thread for South Africans to share the WOW of these gorgeous little bits of metal.

Yipee!!! It's been a great week for Fish Eagle's mailbox, we got -

On Monday, from Germany:

1 Kingfisher (really nice)

1 Geocacher Evolution

1 Highly Addictive

1 Vogtland Coin

(Collection 3, Release 1)

On Wednesday, from Oakcoins:

2 Nurses Have Heart

2 Police Geocaching Squad (with a cool pin too!)

(Collection 2, Release 2)

Also on Wednesday, from Hogwild:

2 Route 66 Missouri (real nice - big and thick!)

1 Singapore 2007

(Collection 1, Release 2)

And today, from Germany:

1 Elementary cache

2 Cache a Day

2 Mighty Shark

(Collection 3, Release 2)

I have a collection of about 150 different coins at this moment. Some are logged on my profile. Also just started collecting geopins. I have about 40 of them at the moment. I try and collect two coins of each so that I can mount them to see both sides.

I ordered some of your coins Andy, but never received them :laughing: It was ordered around October but was sent normal post by the guys in the Netherlands. I think they went missing in the post.

In all it was for about 8 or 10 coins if I can remember correctly

The most beautiful coin in my collection is the 2006 gold compass rose coin.

I also try and collect all the coins with a TEXAS and JEEP theme. Think I have most of them.

Hooray!! Our fairy godmother visited our mailbox again today!

1 x Magnetic Hide-a-Cache Geocoin (beautiful - red glitter under epoxy, for our collection)

10 x Hogwild Famous Traveller Geocoins (4 gold, 4 silver, 2 black nickel - real cool little microcoins!)

5 are set aside for prizes for cachers who move our XXX-Treme TB, 1 for our collection, and 4 to release.

Whoopee!! We've had some great traveller movements in the last week. What fun to watch them travel around the world. :blink:

2 coins touched down in Canada (thanks Kokoscoot)

A TB did a hop-skip-and-jump from Cape Town to the UK, then on to Germany

A coin hopped across the border from Germany to Austria (our first to visit Austria)

And it's been great fun watching the Gauteng cachers playing with our XXX-Treme TB (Ha-ha!!)

But sadly, it's not all good news - we've got two travellers stuck with 10-cache wonders, who aren't reacting to emails - one in the USA, and one in Canada - ho-hum...... :blink:

Good morning Fish Eagle

I am new to this - but caught hook, line and sinker ( GPS, Geocaching and Geocoins) and I would like to ask where did you buy your coins from? I actually saw the site that made your Fish Eagle Coin. Surely I have not yet discovered all the manufacturers and stockist and it looks as if the sites do not really link to the supposedly competition. A few web addresses would be appreciated.

:rolleyes: LeonW

And for those seriously into Micro caching... :rolleyes:

How about a set of South African micro coins containing the small 5

Ant Lion

Leopard Tortoise

Elephant Shrew

Rhino Beetle

Red Billed Buffalo Weaver

These type of coins, if cost effective can be done every second month in a set of two, i.e. The Big Five and its associaed Small 5 Micro coin.

LeonW - welcome to the game, but beware the geocoins addition!!!

Once hooked, serious therapy is needed..... (especially for your wallet!!)

The link that QFC gave you says it all - especially the pinned topics on top.

Feel free to email me via my profile if you want any advice.

Regarding a big five series of geocoin - I'm sure they'll sell very well, especially with 5 different animals, and a few different metals. But an attractive design is paramount - if it catches the coin community's eye, it'll fly.

And, our mailbox was kind again - received yesterday...

2x Thanks for the cache - remains the best cheap coin I've ever seen, but sadly sold out now.

5x HAM Radio - mmmm.. Cute, but not quite my style - didn't blow me away.

All travellers except one HAM Radio for our collection.

I will also be keen to share ideas around the "Big 5/ Small 5" geocoins.

A suggestion is that we come up with a standard "backside", as this will obviously make the desgin costs less for future coins.

Where are all those creative cachers??? Come, come, come, let us have some pictures of your design ideas.

Oh yes, and then into the future someone may want to start thinking of bringing out a "Soccer 2010" geocoin, similar to the "Soccer 2006" geocoin, obviously the person needs to contact the official bodies for authorisation on the use of Logos, etc.

... start thinking of bringing out a "Soccer 2010" geocoin, similar to the "Soccer 2006" geocoin, obviously the person needs to contact the official bodies for authorisation on the use of Logos, etc.

Warthog, you're full of good ideas today. Maybe the geocoin could be shaped to look like a soccer ball, and the official logo on the reverse side.

I've been working on a 'Big Five' coin for some time now. the difficult part was to get around copyrights and then I discovered the we had an artist in the family(in Namibia) and she made drawings of the Big Five and I've been working on designing the other side of the coin. I thought of making it a personal coin but I wouldn't mind turning it into a South African Big Five coin. What do you guys and gals think about the idea?

And, obviously, if you're interested the design will be opened up to everyone for input. :rolleyes:

Hey Fish Eagle!

We were wondering... how well do you think a set of "The Big 5" geocoins would do in the geocaching community (with an engraving of a rhino, elephant, etc. on the back)?

Think everybody would scramble to complete the set?

It is just a thought...anything to put S.A. on the map! :wub:

And, obviously, if you're interested the design will be opened up to everyone for input. :P

Hey ZATeam, we're definitly interested in helping out! We also don't want to take for granted all the hard work you've already put in, though I'm sure if you post a couple of design ideas up, i'm sure the whole community would be interested in throwing in a couple of ideas.

Wonder if Fish Eagle will let us use their SA flag design on the back of the coins? :P

Just gotta love the mailman......

Today's haul -

5 x 2007 Generic geocoins (all 5 metals)

2 x Golden Spike (very nicel!)

One Golden Spike for our collection, one generic as a prize, and release the rest.

And some entertainment for you - we've had two travellers in the Czech Republic for some time already - very difficult to know what's happening because most of the logs are unintelligable (even for translation software), and all the cache listings are in Czechoslavakian!!!

But today, our Spring Hare geocoin touched down in a cache with a bi-lingual listing - whoopee!!! Enjoy the listing - I'm sure you'll end up knowing more about the famous guy being honoured, but I doubt if you'll find the cache Trnkova. :P

Wonder if Fish Eagle will let us use their SA flag design on the back of the coins?

Our coin artwork was done by Geocoins Netherlands based on a concept and rough artwork which we submitted, so I assume that they would have a copyright on the final artwork. If the proposed coin is done through them, there should no problem, and we would be honoured.

Thanks Fish Eagle, that's really super of you! I'm working on a quick idea now, and will post a draft for comment...

... quick question... say if you go through Geocoin Netherlands, do you pay for the total production of geocoins (say 100 of them), and they then sell them for you and pass on the money, or do they just charge an admin fee, and make the rest from their own sales of the coin?

k guys, tell me if you like this...

Rhino.jpg

I tried the SA Tourism logo on the back - maybe Geocoins.nl could make the coin a little bumpy as if it were beads? If the logo is impracticle, then use Fish Eagles SA Flag.

I know a little bit more colour will need to be added around the coin - just not sure what?

Just for clarification... exactly which animals are known as the big 5? I know they are called that because they are the most difficult to hunt (in the old days)

let those thoughts fly!

Team Farmers

You say 'Just for clarification... exactly which animals are known as the big 5? I know they are called that because they are the most difficult to hunt (in the old days)"

I believe they earned this title because they still are the most dangerous to hunt, in the proper tradition of hunting (even now).

LeonW

Geocoin Netherlands

IMHO---- They take very long to send coins. See thread Fish Eagle Thread I have not even recieved mine that was ordered in October.

Also more expensive than some of the USA counterparts. Shipping from USA is also cheaper. Agian IMHO www.thecachingplace.com and www.coinsandpins.com makes the best coins. Just look at coins like Compass Rose and the American Caching coin made by coinsandpins!

Below is more good coin makers--

www.personalgeocoins.com

www.oakcoins.com

My few cents (or coins) on the designs: All of them are very nice!

I really like the ZATeam coin backside. This looks great as a "Standard Background" for SA coins.

The Rhino front is also great and would suggest a coloured "outer circle"; where the "The Big 5 Collection" wording is. The different colours of the flag, i.e. red, blue, green, yellow, white and black could be used. One for every different coin to be produced, using five of the colours for the circle and the sixth for the wording.

To add a bit more colour, maybe green for the grassy bits, but obviously this is not a "funny design", so you also don't want to over do the colours.

:) Now if I can just get an "artist's impression" of a Rhino Beetle, to see what the "Small Five" would look like. :)

What about placing a "release date" on the outer circle, i.e. "May 2007" if that is the month in which the coin was released the first time. Only problem here is that if for any reason the creation of the coin is delayed, then this wording will have to be changed as well, so maybe this would not be such a good idea.

Hey TeamTGF,

Your silver design looks pretty awesome for a SA geocoin! wow!

Also, "The Big 5" writing on your other coin would look pretty good on the "beaded" flag, with the rhino.

Hmmm... will see was the geocoins.nl guys say.

Hmm... I wish I was that creative :) . I do agree ZATeams is by far the best design we have so far.

I know of a local coin manufacturer around here, I will go there tomorrow to get some quotes.

... quick question... say if you go through Geocoin Netherlands, do you pay for the total production of geocoins (say 100 of them), and they then sell them for you and pass on the money, or do they just charge an admin fee, and make the rest from their own sales of the coin?

Nope, you dont have to pay the total amount upfront. At most you might have to pay a deposit. Quite often coins are sold before they're minted.

These are most of the services provided by the coin brokers, you can have all of these done by the broker or do some yourself or by someone else:

- design your coin (and icon)

- arrange for the tracking numbers and activation codes

- have them minted

- sell the coin

- collect the money

- ship the coins

- distribute the activation codes

- manage all communication to the buyers

- pass any profits back to you

Usually this is done on a commision per coin based on which of these services they perform. They normally also keep a couple of coins for their portfolio.

We did most of the work of our coin(Delft Blue) ourselves. Own design, manufacturing, codes, moneys, shipping, basically the only thing that we had done by someone else was a host site(my-geocoin.com) that sold the coins. From this site we got a list of orders and we took it from there.

This saved us most of the commision but don't be fooled, there is a lot of work involved when doing it yourself.

k guys, tell me if you like this...

Rhino.jpg

I tried the SA Tourism logo on the back - maybe Geocoins.nl could make the coin a little bumpy as if it were beads? If the logo is impracticle, then use Fish Eagles SA Flag.

I know a little bit more colour will need to be added around the coin - just not sure what?

Just for clarification... exactly which animals are known as the big 5? I know they are called that because they are the most difficult to hunt (in the old days)

let those thoughts fly!

Hi,

I like the design. One thing, however, has always bothered me about the South African Tourism logo. It DOES NOT MATCH the South African flag!! If the black (of the logo) is on top then the red should be on the right and the blue on the left, just as it is on the RSA flag. I suggest that this is the way that the geocoin should be designed. I always remember the flag design as the sun (red) over the sea (blue), just as it was in the old South African flag.

Cheers,

:P

GeoCRAt.

(A South African citizen / cacher living in Dubai).

Team Farmers

You say 'Just for clarification... exactly which animals are known as the big 5? I know they are called that because they are the most difficult to hunt (in the old days)"

I believe they earned this title because they still are the most dangerous to hunt, in the proper tradition of hunting (even now).

LeonW

The big 5 are : Elephant, Rhino, Lion, Buffalo and Leopard. Still not sure why though ?

The big 5 are : Elephant, Rhino, Lion, Buffalo and Leopard. Still not sure why though ?

Quoted from Wikipedia:

"The phrase Big Five game was coined by big-game hunters and refers to the five large mammals that were sought in Africa. The term is still used in most tourist and wildlife guides that discuss African wildlife safaris.

The collection consists of the lion, the African elephant, the African buffalo, the leopard and the black rhinoceros. The members of the big five were chosen for the difficulty in hunting them and not their size, which is why the leopard is on the list and the enormous hippopotamus is not."

Edited by ZAteam

A good week for our mailbox.....

2 x 1st Italian Geocoins

2 x Italian Baby Geocoins

(For a first go by the Italians, these are both great coins!!)

2 x Round Tuit's (very cool, and a "makes you think" message)

2 x Michigan Licence Plates

2 x Indiana DNR's

2 x Los Muertos Coins

All stunning coins, one of each for our collection, and one each into the field.

And, we received Ron1337's challenge coin and pathtags from Canada - thanks Ron!!

Our Police Geocaching Squad geocoin has achieved it's short-term goal, much quicker than expected - which was to get into Batsgonemad and his Squirrel's hands. Now it can roam anywhere.

We're getting travellers ready to release in Wales in May - we've got about 20 coins and TB's ready. We made up two green verdite TB's with beautiful animal carvings which we found locally for next to nothing. They worked out so well, we're gonna make up some more. The little carvings only cost about R20 each, and it's that stunning green stone a-la E031: Green Heritage cache.

Gotta love this game!!!

Regarding an SA geocoin..........

ZATeam, your design is stunning - it'll look amazing in silver or nickel - well done!!! I also like the other design ideas - they're all very exciting!! But don't forget the design of the original SA non-trackable coin - we only ever saw one of them, and it was great!!!

I hate saying this online, but there is a problem with using geocoins.nl to do an SA geocoin......

They were amazing in every respect - the co-ordination by Myth was superb, Karelkraak's artwork was stunning, selling off their website was a piece of cake, in fact, the whole process was incredibly easy.

Everything happened clickety-click, and we were thrilled with the result. But, through no fault of theirs, it went a bit pear-shaped at the end, specifically with shipping to SA. We had minimal problems with shipping elsewhere in the world, but about 50% of shipments to SA went AWOL. I can only assume that there is a thief somewhere (very specifically) in the Netherlands/SA postal pipeline, who likes geocoins. This is surprising, because many, many shipments from NL to the rest of the world were fine, and we've received about 40 shipments of coins from all over the world, including Europe (mainly Germany) - every shipment arrived OK, so it's not the SA postal system, but specifically Netherlands to SA is a big problem - they go MIA. So, I 100% recommend using geocoins.nl, but we gotta find a different way to get the coins here, maybe direct from the mint in China?

Alternatively, if the coin can be minted in SA at a reasonable cost, and good quality, then that must be first prize. Also avoids VAT and import duties which can be quite heavy!

Quintus, I'm so sorry about your coins that didn't arrive. I've been waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting for our last final consignment of 6 coins to arrive from NL so that I can send you some, but they're overdue, and I'm losing hope that they're gonna get here.......... I'll wait a bit longer, then I'll contact you to sort the problem out.

My opinion for an SA geocoin -

Firstly - the design - do a mix-and-match between the original non-trackable coin (someone, please upload a photo), and ZATeam's design

Secondly - decide who's going to mint it - if possible, local is lekker

Thirdly - head down, hou poepal hou, someone put the bucks up front, and hope for the best

Fourthly - don't put a date on it - if it sells slowly, a date will crucify it!

Lastly - If it's a series, like the Big 5, then don't release them bit by bit. International shipping is horrendous for 1 coin, but OK for 5 or 6. So, do a series (say, of 5), in different metals (say, gold, silver, nickel), but release them all simultaneously.

Hope this helps...

As per the description against the coin on the coinsandpins website:

This is a well rounded coin. Developed by a South African geocacher; it contains an image of the flag, a font developed by a South African, and designs from rock art which were created by native South Africans many years ago. Finally, but not least are the five largest, most dangerous, and majestic beasts of South Africa rendered in 3-D images on the backside. All five of these animals are extremely dangerous when cornered. The coins will be offered in both polished gold and antique copper.

I have already emailed the coin company on "To contact customer support, send e-mail to: customerspt@coinsandpins.com " to request the name of such mentioned South African Geocacher.

Let's see what they come back with.

I just think it is only fair to have allowed the cachers that have originated the creation of such coin to take it through to its final product and if this was done by a cacher for his/her own financial or other gains and did not inform/include the rest of the community, I will definately not purchase this coin, but before we run off and get ourselves worked up about this, let's see what coinandpins come back with as a reply.

My view is still that some of the other ideas/views on a South African coin looks far better than the product that will go on sale here.

Was alerted to this this morning and wanted to add my 2c. Agree with QFC, Fish Eagle, and Warthog that it is somewhat sad to see this concluded in this manner especially if this mystery cacher :P has used the ideas in this forum to produce the coin. Would have rather seen this as a community effort, design agreed by poll, with all proceeds going to a charity of sorts. All the more so seeing that it is being called a "South Africa Geocoin"!

:P Amidst a somewhat negative few days on the SA Forum, what with disappointment about the SA coin, and stories of muggings and gun-packing, I thought that I'd try to brighten up your day somewhat....

:D Yesterday, after eyeing it for ages, we at last decided to order our next XXX-Treme game piece - a Mega Generic Geocoin, which we will release, but only to travel in SA.

Here's what it looks like... (that's the regular generic geocoin next to it)

MegaSGold.JPG

Diameter - 127mm

Thickness - 5mm

Weight - 0.54Kg

Look for it in a cache near you soon!!! :P