Legend "bouncing" around

frankj3

I bought a used Legend and it has been working fine.

Now, if I'm standing still, the unit will "bounce" showing anywhere from 5 feet to 100 feet to my waypoint.

I've also noticed my maximum speed was 190 mph......my 4-banger Nissan Sentra ain't that fast!

Do I need to find a hospital for my Garmin or is this commmon?

Will a patch from Garmin correct this?

Thought I'd ask the pros before I contact Garmin.

Thanks.

Frankj3 :laughing:

I bought a used Legend and it has been working fine.

Now, if I'm standing still, the unit will "bounce" showing anywhere from 5 feet to 100 feet to my waypoint.

I've also noticed my maximum speed was 190 mph......my 4-banger Nissan Sentra ain't that fast!

Do I need to find a hospital for my Garmin or is this commmon?

Will a patch from Garmin correct this?

Thought I'd ask the pros before I contact Garmin.

Thanks.

Frankj3 :D

When did you notice this change? Had you been caching with others when you noticed the difference?

I've got a Legend and I was perfectly happy with it, until one day I went caching with someone else. Suddenly I noticed that my GPS was all herky jerky, bouncing here and there and everywhere. Nothing as bad as yours, but still, it makes me wonder if we're suffering from the same thing:

Not an inter GPS virus, though wouldn't that be interesting. I can see the forum posts now:

"Practice Safe Geocaching!" :laughing:

No, my fellow cacher didn't switch my GPS for his broken one. Though if he wants to trade... :D

The unit wasn't dropped, burned, opened under water, or in any other way damaged. :huh:

I suffer from

Antenna Envy! :P

My fellow cacher has a newer Garmin model, which has greatly improved reception. I'll get the dreaded "Lost Signal" message, he'll have 12 sats! I'll be wandering with a 85" accuracy, he'll be sitting on the cache watching me. Until I had a reference point to compare to, I was happy with the Legend. Now, well, I'm not ready to go out and lay out the money... yet... but I do notice the unit's shortcomings.

Seriously, though, I have no experience with broken GPS's, but I got my Garmin 'cuz I was told the company was the best at customer service. Check the Garmin website. See what they have to say. Some companies will look at the serial number on a unit and if it was manufactured within the current warranty period, you're golden. Some will even give you a break if it's just out of time. I don't know if this is the case with Garmin, but it's worth a shot.

You cannot stand still with the Legend, you have to be moving for the gps to know what direction to point you in relation to your walking direction.

Now you might be able to stand still with a electronic compass supplied gps, but I wouldn't trust it too far.

Edit: Oh, By the way I love the B&W Legend, it's a great unit for caching.

Edited by BlueDeuce

You cannot stand still with the Legend, you have to be moving for the gps to know what direction to point you in relation to your walking direction.

Now you might be able to stand still with a electronic compass supplied gps, but I wouldn't trust it too far.

Edit: Oh, By the way I love the B&W Legend, it's a great unit for caching.

Thanks for the info.

I'm new to this and this is my first unit.

Up til today I loved it.....I guess I still do now.

That still doesn't tell me why the max speed went up to 190 mph.

I've downloaded updated software from Garmin.

Maybe that will help.

Thanks again.

Frankj3

I don't know why it went up to 190 either, but if you have the B&W Legend it does have its limitations.

However it is one of the best point and shoot GPS's.

There have been threads about GPS's that suddenly show huge jumps and speeds.

Just goto your waypoint and walk steady. That should do it for you. If not then you have a problem.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I've owned 6 GPS units and every one would from time to time report some incredible max speeds while walking. I think its a normal, temporary glitch.

Thanks for the info.

I'm feeling better about my Legend now.

I was caching by myself in a cemetery this afternoon when it started bouncing.

Maybe it's a spiritual thing??????

I'll see what it does tomorrow as I did not find the cache.

I've owned 6 GPS units and every one would from time to time report some incredible max speeds while walking. I think its a normal, temporary glitch.

My Legend once showed a max speed of 350 MPH while I was driving, my theory is that if the coodinates make a large bounce, say from 80 feet behind where you really are to 80 feet in front of where you really are the unit computes the max speed as if you really covered the 160 feet in that short time span.

After a couple of weeks i switched the Max speed reading to a more usefull indicator.

My Legend once showed a max speed of 350 MPH while I was driving, my theory is that if the coodinates make a large bounce, say from 80 feet behind where you really are to 80 feet in front of where you really are the unit computes the max speed as if you really covered the 160 feet in that short time span.

After a couple of weeks i switched the Max speed reading to a more usefull indicator.

"Officer I wasn't speeding. Here take a look at my GP.....whoops"

My Cobra will (sometimes) take 20 minutes to lock on sats. I usually have to turn it off and then back on and it'll lock in quickly. Sometimes the needle swings wildly (100 feet that way, no 456 feet the other way). I think it's just one of those things. I've taken to just using the coords page (ie, current location) and watching the last 3 digits go up or down as I go left/right forward/back. This seems to be the most accurate for me.

That is what I was going to say, that if it keeps jumping that it can show a high speed of travel because it thinks you go 80 feet a a second or so, so it shows a higher speed. Atleast that is what I think.