A question to the caching couples / teams with one user ID

supertbone

I have never been part of a cache team and I am not familiar with the dynamics of the team caching environment. I have a question to the caching teams and couples out there who use one GC user ID. Do you count a find when not all of your members find a particular cache? Does anyone try a divide and conquer approach to boost numbers? Please fill me in. Thanks.

Until the first of the year Totem Clan was a team. My better half got here own account mainly just so she could get on the forums with her friends.

Until then we hunted together all time. We still do, but now she records the finds on her account as well. Anyway we always hunted together. Sometimes at the cache area one of us would go the last little bit off the trail, up the hill or what-have-you, while the other waited on the trail with the kids.

As far as the divide on conquer idea, we've never done that. We love the hunt as much as anything. I would be cheating myself or her out of the hunt if we did. We even used to joke about caching without being together as cheating on each other. :laughing:

The caches we have hid so far have been team hides and on my account. We are planning to use my account for the team hides, and my personal hides of course.

At least that's the way we do it. I hope that answers your question.

Edited by Totem Clan

So far, wife has not been bitten by the cache bug as hard as I was. She likes to go with me, but won't go by herself. Grandkids also like to go. So, on my logs, I note who was with me so that if they ever get their own account, we just go back to the logs and get them credit.

I too, have puzzled about the team thing, why should everyone get credit for caches they didn't find? And if the team found one without them, can they find it again?

:laughing:

Until the first of the year Totem Clan was a team. My better half got here own account mainly just so she could get on the forums with her friends.

Until then we hunted together all time. We still do, but now she records the finds on her account as well. Anyway we always hunted together. Sometimes at the cache area one of us would go the last little bit off the trail, up the hill or what-have-you, while the other waited on the trail with the kids.

As far as the divide on conquer idea, we've never done that. We love the hunt as much as anything. I would be cheating myself or her out of the hunt if we did. We even used to joke about caching without being together as cheating on each other. :laughing:

The caches we have hid so far have been team hides and on my account. We are planning to use my account for the team hides, and my personal hides of course.

Ha! I know that you only got seperate accounts so that you two would stop driving us crazy confusing the heck out of us in Cheers. :huh::huh:

I actually started my account just for myself after I moved away from where I use to hunt with my dad, I don't even count the caches I did in 2001 with my dad because I was in to the sport but not as much now. Since I moved away I created my own account and logged what I found and then my girlfriend started going, she likes to go sometimes, but she is one of those girls that wears shorts and I am walking through small paths with a ton of overgrowth because I am always wearing jeans out, so she will stop and wait for me sometimes. But I log them and I usually say if she was with me or not so that is how I do it.

Ha! I know that you only got seperate accounts so that you two would stop driving us crazy confusing the heck out of us in Cheers. :huh::huh:

:mad:

We normally cache as a family, sometimes I do one near work, sometimes my son and I go do the harder ones ourselves like abseiling ones where the whole family just can't get to gz etc. We don't normally divide and conquer as a rule, I think we have done it once where my son went to his grandparents for a week and found the only cache in town without a GPS.

I have never been part of a cache team and I am not familiar with the dynamics of the team caching environment. I have a question to the caching teams and couples out there who use one GC user ID. Do you count a find when not all of your members find a particular cache? Does anyone try a divide and conquer approach to boost numbers? Please fill me in. Thanks.

Two of the high-count caching IDs in my area are couples, and they do log caches that they found individually into the one account. A famous instance was when one was traveling and both logged caches into the account on the same day from states 3000 miles apart. Yes, it does help their count go up a bit faster than single cachers (or those who only log together), but doesn't bother any of us locals.

:laughing: I selected my name because I don't always cache alone. My wife doesn't have her own caching name, and normally only goes with me and some friends. There was one instance where my wife was visiting a graveyard with her mother and said 'Hey that looks like a good place for a cache.' When she went over to the spot there was actually a cache there. I didn't log it on the account, since in my mind the account only represents those caches that I have visited.

Actually I am thinking of making a team acct for Jill and I. She has been on every cache we have logged as found except one. We plan to go back to that one so she can see it, but we personally would not log another find, it is a nice place and she wants to see it too. She probably won't ever cache alone as I would, but I would like to involve her in the acct as it is something we enjoy together. That is just how I think it is fair but I really don't see how it affects me if both people logged it as a find. The numbers only are for my own sense of accomplishment and I wouldn't consider competeing that way. I say cache the way that brings you the most fun. Hmm maybe I will make me a signature file "ALL's fair in love and war and Caching"

"Team Retcon" is pretty much me and anybody who goes with me. There are a few regulars (My wife mostly, and on occasion her father and my parents. Some friends as well). Except for me, all these people share one thing in common: They don't care at all about logging finds, posting on the forum, tracking travel bugs... Their main concern is enjoying the outdoors. While that's my main concern as well, I actually enjoy doing the rest.

I have a couple friends who used to be in team Retcon who now have their own user IDs. They also (read: more) frequently cache with me and when we sign the log book, we both sign no matter who found it. We also both take credit for the find.

I'm not in this for the numbers, so I have no problem taking "credit" for a find I didn't make but was 5 feet from when the find was made. I also have no desire to split up into 10 groups to try to get 50 finds in a single day. I want to walk through parks and hunt for stuff :laughing:

We share the name and for the most part I (Jennifer) have been to most of the cache finds under this account. But since I travel for work, Dean has not visited them all. When I am caching by myself I will try to log the find as Jennifer of Jennifer&Dean so it is noted somewhere that I was the only one present.

Haven't had any complaints yet. Breaking the name apart would just mean we would each have to spend time logging cache finds. It just wouldn't happen, we'd never catch up on all the caches.

To each their own. Do whatever works for you but remember, small children grow up and want their own user names at some point, if they stay interested in the game. In my experience, family "team" accounts, while fun, often end up having older children splitting off and wanting to log all their finds later. Which can be painfully time consuming if they have been caching for a while.

-J

Edited by Jennifer&Dean

Bccruiser consits of two people. The whole reason we started geocaching was to have something that we could do togther. With our lives being so hectic we wanted something that allowed us to have fun together without spending a ton of money. Because of that we have found every one of our 300+ caches together.

Bccruiser

My teammate, the Brilliant Treasure Hunter Princess and I are Team Pirate/Princess. The team thing is just for fun, and we each have our own accounts. She's only in Kindergarten right now and just learning to write, so we talk about the adventure, I get some feedback from her, and log her visit. Then I'll log my own visit, sometimes embellishing on the adventure to complete the story. I figured she want her account to start when she actually started, and one day when she's old enough to be out caching with her friends, she'll have all that documented experience. It's not about getting the numbers with us.

We usually cache as a whole family but every now and then one of us adults will pick one up if we have a business meeting out of town but i think that might be a total of 15 caches, we started the game as something that we could do as a family and the kids liked it because it was hiking with a cause.

I'm the caching fanatic. Everyone else in the family - dog, hubby, kids (in order of interest) are along for the ride. I generally am very picky about where I cache on my own, woods alone creep me out. I drag friends along occasionally when I need a fix. We only have one GPS and one user name. It never accured to me to "divide and conquer". Although we are nearing our 100th find and looking forward to it, it's really not about the numbers. We'll never catch up to others more dedicated. I would never hit a milestone find without the whole team, because we are just that. We do this as a hobby and as a family. Isn't there an old saying "the family that caches together, stays together"? If we had two GPS and went out separately, regularly I would probably be inclined to separate the accounts, besides I'm sure my numbers would be higher than his :laughing: .

My teammate, the Brilliant Treasure Hunter Princess and I are Team Pirate/Princess. The team thing is just for fun, and we each have our own accounts. She's only in Kindergarten right now and just learning to write, so we talk about the adventure, I get some feedback from her, and log her visit. Then I'll log my own visit, sometimes embellishing on the adventure to complete the story. I figured she want her account to start when she actually started, and one day when she's old enough to be out caching with her friends, she'll have all that documented experience. It's not about getting the numbers with us.

That's adorable. Like a caching scrapbook.

There are 8 "Texas Vikings". :huh:

I am "One of the Texas Vikings". One daughter and son in law are "Two of the Texas Vikings" and another daughter is "Two Other Texas Vikings". We also have "MIL (mother in law) of Texas Vikings". I guess you see the point. :laughing:

We get a group together and pack a lunch and cache together. Taking Kids and dogs and grandkids. We cache together but at other times, alone. :P

We all have seperate logins, so we can claim a find, or if we cache alone. Because sometimes you may want to cache alone or can't get a whole group together.

Edited by One of the Texas Vikings
Do you count a find when not all of your members find a particular cache?
We're a team, not a pair of individuals. About the only time only one of us will hunt a cache is when the other is not interested in that cache.

Does anyone try a divide and conquer approach to boost numbers?
Why would we do that? Wouldn't then the other member miss out on the cool caches you found? They'd then have to go back and find them anyway. That seems to be defeating the purpose. Well, unless the only purpose to caching it watching that silly little number grow.

I don't recall ever posting here, but this is something that I've always wondered myself. My thinking is that my username is for me and only me. Sometimes some family goes with me or some coworkers go with me, but the common denominator to my finds is always "me". If I don't physically go look for a cache then I won't log a find. I find it ridiculous that if my daughter was across the state and actually found a cache that I would log it as a find myself. Who are you cheating but yourself??? What's the point or fun in that? Now, when caching with a group of people, of course one person will find the cache before the rest, but we are still there and the people I go with want to see where the cache was and what the container looks like. I must admit that whoever finds the cache usually just signs all our names in the cache just to save some time, but we are there watching. Well just my thoughts.

Team Moxiepup consists of me, my Partner, and our dog, Moxie. :huh: We hunt for caches together. When one of us finds the cache, we try to be quiet about it, and pretend to hunt a little longer as we slink away from the cache. The person who found it then just announces "I'm done", or "You're still looking?". :laughing: Then other one of us then still hunts for the cache.

The only caches we haven't found together, are ones I did when visiting my family, a few states over, a few months ago. We both really enjoy moving bugs, and couldn't pass up the chance to give some bugs some miliage and pick up a few as well. I'll take her to find them when we both go back again this spring, so she may find them as well. :P

Team Guyute consists of my fiance and myself. I've done about 98% of the caches on the account and she has done about 95%. It's not about the numbers for us, it's about spending time together...our number...The few she did were when she went to florida or on a business trip. The ones I have done that she has not were on business trip and a handful I did during lunch at work, and even most of those, she has done after I did them anyway.

We usually go together but sometimes I'll catch a new one at lunch. She doesn't mind me doing that however I don't like to go on a big day of caching without her. Someone has to operate the pda.

LOL! This is US too!! Hubby can't work the PDA without me. :D

We're a team so we don't have separate accounts. So far we've found every one of our caches together. I wouldn't object if he found a couple without me, and I doubt he'd mind if I did the same. It just hasn't happened yet. I don't think we would cache separately enough to warrant individual accounts though, it's something we both love pretty much equally.

If we really crunched the numbers, we'd discover that hubby is the one who actually finds the majority of our caches. He's got a great geosense. Sometimes I have to tell him "Hey, could you at least hang back and pretend to let me look first?" LOL!! On the other hand, I do ALL the grunt work. I download all the queries, set up the PDA, and I'm the one who logs every single find. He has no desire to do any of that -- he just wants to hunt! I enjoy all the tech stuff. And I don't mind TOO much when he finds five caches and I only find two! LOL! It's ALLLLLLL GOOD!

:D

I don't recall ever posting here, but this is something that I've always wondered myself. My thinking is that my username is for me and only me. Sometimes some family goes with me or some coworkers go with me, but the common denominator to my finds is always "me"....

For many "team" names it is really one cacher who brings friends or family along. I don't have a "team" name but do occasionally bring along others. The common denominator is the cacher who owns the account. In those cases the account owner has found every cache so it is not truly a team account.

Two of the high-count caching IDs in my area are couples, and they do log caches that they found individually into the one account. A famous instance was when one was traveling and both logged caches into the account on the same day from states 3000 miles apart. Yes, it does help their count go up a bit faster than single cachers (or those who only log together), but doesn't bother any of us locals.

I know of several "team" accounts that are most often husband & wife or 2 cachers that share a "significant other" tag. Most of them do the caches together but there a one or two who will cache separately. So if their count is 1000 there may be 750 done together, 150 by only one and 100 only by the other. It is usually clear that they are doing it. It is also clear that they can't always cache together due to travel or work schedules. To me this falls under a grey area of "play the game the way you are comfortable". Just don’t forget to mention you are a part of a team.

Loch Cache

Do you count a find when not all of your members find a particular cache? Does anyone try a divide and conquer approach to boost numbers?

For my wife and I it has never really been an issue. I'm the one who does all the "work" of picking out caches to do, downloading coordinates, updating the PDA, navigating to the cache. She usually just finds the dang things. :D

I guess that means we're not a "team" in the traditional sense. So far she has only found one cache when I wasn't there and I logged it as a regular find under "my" account. If she ever started caching on her own (not likely!) then I'd worry about creating a second account and logging as individuals, but I don't see it being an issue for us.

I do try and note in my physical and online logs whether it was a solo effort. That's really just more for keeping track of my own personal caching history.

We've cached seperately once. I was a few hundred miles away caching with a friend when the female half of mocadeki was going through cache withdrawel so she went and got a couple that popped up near home she logged hers then I logged mine when I got home.

If I'm at a cache that's pretty close with out Molly or one that she'd really enjoy I actually wait to log it until we both go back together and she finds it.

We are a team. To date there has only been one time when one of us (me actually) found a cache solo. I posted it as a "Team" find because a football or baseball or whatever team member does not need to actually be on the field playing at the time of a win to be considered a part of the team and share in the win. Hubby will no doubt cache alone at some point, most likely on a business trip, and we will count that as a team find as well. He handles the GPSr, downloads and prints the pages, I post the finds on line and we take turns logging in our personal diary and the cache log book. We take turns on the trail taking the lead with the GPSr. I probably find the actual cache more often than he does, but he is more willing to stick his hands into dark, icky or otherwise unsavory places to retrieve said cache, than I. The point of this (for us) is spending time and having fun together. We (personally) find the competition about numbers silly. We like to keep track of our numbers only because it is fun to know how many finds we have, not to compare ourselves with anyone else.

I am suziq. I am always at the the cache. who I go with differs. Sometimes I am alone , sometimes my husband is with me, sometimes one or more of my grown kids. So on my SI We are the caching crew of Suziq. No one else owns a GPS or an account. They go because Its something I like to do, and it makes a great reason to get together and out and about.

Edited by Suziq

I am suziq. I am always at the the cache. who I go with differs. Sometimes I am alone , sometimes my husband is with me...

Same here... only sometimes I cache with a friend or two. I'm the rabid cacher in our family, although when we go out I usually drive and DH navigates with the GPS. DH has never, and probably will never, cache without me... he goes along because I enjoy it :D.

So far, wife has not been bitten by the cache bug as hard as I was. She likes to go with me, but won't go by herself. Grandkids also like to go. So, on my logs, I note who was with me so that if they ever get their own account, we just go back to the logs and get them credit.

:wacko:

This is pretty much how we work too. If she's with me, I'll sign the log "0ccam and wife".

In the online log I'll say, "Out with the Wife..." and I'll note whoever spotted the cache first.

She's not interesting in caching without me, but I'll cache without her.

And I agree about one member of a team finds it but the whole team gets credit being....well, not the way I want to do it. But whatever, I got over worrying about other peopless numbers a long time ago.

We started as a family of 4 under 1 ID. THe kids asked for their own namew, so we set them up, but the wife and I still maintain a Team name. A couple summers ago, she and the kids went to visit her mother in NY and I stayed here in FL. We both cached and logged caches on the same day in different states. She isn't in to in enough to want her own ID, so we keep the one we have. No one has ever questioned us about it and we feel that there is nothing wrong with it.

Teamcoz consists of me, my husband and our two kids. We usually always cache as a family, that is probably 95% of our finds. Of our 140 finds, I think there are maybe 10 I have not been out on. Occassionally hubby goes out with the kids and some other people while I get stuff done at home or there was one night cache he has been itching to get and I was not in the moode to cache at 11pm when it was 20 degrees out. We have not gone out on caching days without each other and I don't really see it happening, we like doing it together. I plan our caches, he mans the gps and the Jeep, any 1 of the 4 of us actually finds the cache, and I log em when we get home.

Our team is a team of 5. I got the GPS, found the site, and to get some alone gift wrapping time on Christmas Eve day I sent the other 4 off to find some stuff in the woods with the GPS. Couple hours later, the 4 come home and didn't find a thing. So we packed back into the car and runningout (mom) retraced steps and we found boxes of stuff hidden in the woods. Six months go by before we blow dust off the GPS and find one on the coast...more time goes by, find a few more...most of these together. Now runningout (dad) has taken an interest since he discovered there were jeeps to be found. Sometimes he picks one or two up without runningout (mom)...but usually not without a child or two or three!!! I have set him up to pick up a quick one while out with son to a boyscout event...I totally cracked up to get the call that I should have left his coat in the trunk...what was I thinking taking his coat out of the trunk of MY car and then sending him on a hunt (which was a park and grab micro) in 20* weather. So, even if I am not physically present, I am no more than a phone call away for ideas and ranting about how I should see that he is better prepared!!! No matter how we find em, we log em. Events are fun also...we have been to two...we are all runningout...but now I put our real names on the tag also. :lol:

I (Cerberus) started geocaching for an idea on gps usage and got hooked. My girlfriend (CJ) wanted exercise and said she'd join me...

NOW, we're about 50/50/ on cache finds.

I usually do the 4-5 terrains solo, while she goes along (or not) on the rest. Micros are usually hers.

Sometimes we'll split up if a lot of new ones out (on a FTF kick), with her going one direction and me maybe hitting another state.

We DO prefer to cache together. Then, CJ's usually the navigator and I'm the one lugging everything, getting the spider webs in the face (so she has a clear path), putting the hands in "that hole" and so on...

She now has her own cache site for placements, coins (which I'm not fond of), etc. She gave me a birthday present with a cache on the AT with hers.

Biggest problem we have, is folks thinking we're two different entities. A month ago we were introduced to a group of cachers as, "This is CJ, I forget what his name is..." :lol:

It's listed on our page that we're Team cerberus1. Together or singly, just two folks havin' fun !

As we clearly state on our profile page, our team account consists of the two of us (Vinny & Sue) and the logs (i.e., notes, finds, DNF, etc.) for our account may belong to either one of us or to both of us. I tend to go cache hunting quite rarely, as I pick and choose the caches which I wish to hunt quite carefully, and will usually only hunt only really interesting and wild caches or caches with a terrain rating of 4.5 or higher. Thus, I tend to log only one or two finds or DNFs per month. About the only exception to this is when I am traveling long distance to a state or country in which I have not yet cached, in which case I may hunt a few local caches which do not necessarily meet my picky terrain standards in order to experience some local cache hides. As a result, I have logged finds on urban caches in WI, CA, TX, ID, WY and in India. I once even ventured into West Virginia (with Sue along for safety) -- which, according to many reports, is far stranger and far more dangerous and weird than any foreign country -- to find a cache!

My wife Sue, on the other hand, is an admitted geocaching addict, and she is particularly addicted to puzzle caches (she has, by the way, much like Britney Spears, been kicked out of geocaching addiction rehab facilities many times.) She may find up from 10 to 80 caches per week, almost all of them without me being in her company; these finds end up on our joint team account too. Sue also sometimes goes geocaching with other cachers -- including day-long outings with Lynn, CCCA -- and on those outings may log perhaps 50 or 60 finds in one day (eewww... gag me! I would rather pull out all of my toenails with a pair of vice-grip pliers than go hunting more than eight caches in one day!) while I am home catching up on far more important things, such as taking a nap.

Do we ever split up to increase cache find counts? The short answer -- as you can realize in light of my disclosure above that I usually only hunt one or two caches per month -- is no! On the other hand, it will sometimes happen, entirely accidentally, that I may have scored a find on a cache in Chennai, India (while on a consulting trip) at the same moment that Sue logged a find on a lame urban micro in Bethesda, Maryland, or that I may have logged finds or DNFs on caches in Wisconsin, Texas or Idaho while Sue is back on the East Coast logging finds on caches in MD, VA or DC.

Whenever I log a find (or a note or DNF) by myself under our team account, I always make a clear and distinct note in the online log (and to some extent in the physical logbook) that I authored the note and that I made the find alone. Likewise, if Sue and I found a cache (or scored a DNF) together, I always note explicitly in the log entry (that is, if I am the author of the log entry) that Sue and I shared the experience together. Sue, on the other hand, largely does NOT follow this convention, and thus she often does not note in her online log entry that she made a find with me or without me. Thus, a casual observer reading her online log entries for our team account might accidentally conclude that both of us had been present. Then again, I am the one who tends to leave long, detailed and very carefully-crafted online log entries (for finds, for DNFs and for notes) while Sue tends to leave far more terse online log notes; she needs to devote any extra time to finding more caches! :-)

As for our hides, I tend to be the actual hider and owner of our Psycho caches and some of our backcountry caches, while Sue is the hider and owner of all the caches in the "Sue's Puzzle Series" and also most of our other puzzle and cipher caches, along with the One Degree of Separation cache.

So, in effect, our acount is a family account, and our beagle Toby comes along with one or both of us sometimes as well, along with any out-of-town friends who may be visiting at the moment. If our friend Taj is in town for a visit, she may accompany one or both of us on our cache hunting trips. Likewise, my friend Daleena, who is a rather famous porn star, ex-stripper and Tantric sex therapist from Los Angeles, has helped me to check on stages (hidden deep inside storm drains) of my Psycho caches while she is in town staying with us, and has also come along with Sue and myself to watch cache seekers tackle some of our wilder Psycho caches. By much the same token, when I am on a consulting trip or lecture trip in Indiana, Wisconsin or elsewhere and Taj is with me, she will accompany me on my cache-hunting adventures (inculding DNFs, as the case may be), and if I am in Wyoming or Idaho, my friend Greta, who is a native of that area and a backcountry guide, will accompany me on cache hunting and cache placement outings. In any case, it all gets logged under our main team account.

Interestingly, Sue has her own premium geocaching account (Sue-Cat) as well at geocaching.com, which she uses to for bookmarking and tracking caches and trade items for which the notification emails would drive me nuts if they were to appear in the joint account mailbox for our Vinny & Sue Team account. Thus, our family supports at least two premium accounts at all times, and sometimes a third, the latter to enable my friend Greta to do maintenance on my Psycho Backcountry caches in Idaho and Wyoming.

Incidentally, the Vinny & Sue Team account started as my personal account. On our first cache hunts, Sue tagged along only largely out of politeness; she really was not very enthusiastic about the whole thing and suspected that I had perhaps lost my marbles or been reprogrammed by space aliens. As Sue's interest level in geocaching caught up with and passed mine, I eventually changed the account name to the current team name. As the amount of sheer hours (somewhere between 40 and 900) which Sue devoted to the sport each week started to equal the amount of time that I spend on geocaching in one year, I suggested that she start logging her own finds and hides on her own premium account; the suggestion was not made out of any sense of unfriendliness, but simply so that find counts on our V&ST account would more largely reflect finds made by both of us together, but Sue has never expressed any interest in pursuing that option. And so, the VS&T account remains a family account.

BTW, the vast majority of posts made under our V&ST account to the national forums were authored by myself, as you can tell from my personal sig line (i.e., "Vinny of Vinny & Sue Team") at the bottom of those posts. We tend to use separate accounts for posting in local MD and VA forums; I use a "Vinny" account, while Sue uses a "Sue-Cat" account.

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

Whistler & Co. originally meant the whole family, but then both kids wanted their own ID's (Hibernation and Little Whistler). Most of our finds are a team effort (me, my husband, and our 5 year old a.k.a. Little Whistler). Hibernation is a teenager with "other" things he wants to do, so he generally only accompanies us when we are able to run out on a weekday for a new local cache (which are few and far between these days). Once in a while, I head out solo or with one or both kids to try for a FTF, and my husband (who is nicknamed "Whistler" at work) has occasionally headed out for long, uphill cache hunts on his own. The kids only log caches that they have helped hunt for, and they each have a couple of hides under their own accounts as well.

We use the word 'team' in place of 'family'. With the exception of a couple of finds, there have been at least two and as many as eight family members on the hunt. Everyone in the team has their own job to make the find possible: Operating the GPSr, the PDA, the maps, the driving, handling the dog(s), sticking their hand or nose into a dark stump, etc. The fewer the family members on the hunt, the more responsibility per person (or dog).

Yup, we give the dogs a task. They are just as much a part of the family and team as anyone else. Geoffrey finds by scent - not well, but he's found some that we humans couldn't. Dante has not yet been on a cache hunt but he seems to have a keen sense of smell also. His first cache is tomorrow (Island Lost - GCGB39) across a frozen lake to an island.

While my username is gravechaser in the singular sense it refers more properly to me and our 3 kids. When we go out, usually on Saturdays, we split up when we are close to the X-spot. When one of us finds it, usually my oldest daughter, she discretely backs away and gives her brother & sister hints to guide them closer. Sometimes I find it first and then I give the littler ones hints like hotter & colder but they are pretty savvy. When I log our finds I make a mention on whether the kids were with me. I rarely go caching without them and on the few that I have done I've described to them where the cache was, what it looked like and what was in it so that they don't feel left out. Of course their ages make telling where the cache is a bit more acceptable since they are 13, 10 & 6. It's easier for us since my husband works all the time and absolutely won't go with us.

When we've gone caching with my best friend and her kids whoever found it first backed off and laughed at the others till they found it too. Then we both went to our respective homes and logged the finds for ourselves.

When we started geocaching in 2002, I was the 'driving' force behind our team. My wife was initially ok with the idea of geocaching but she did not go on every hunt. I still logged all finds on our team account. As her experience grew, she learned how to operate the GPS, search and log caches on the website and really started to enjoy the game. She soon was off doing caches on her own. We enjoy our time caching together very much but we will do caches by ourselves if our schedules prevent us from caching together. Although caching is still by ourselves is still fun, personaly I feel the experience is slightly different because I can't share the feeling with my caching partner and partner in life. Because of this, I am more likely not to cache without xstitcher now than when we started.