Misnumbered "error" geocoin

Theseus

Hypothetically, let's say I bought a highly sought after geocoin but when I got it I was unable to activate it and a query to the coin vendor indicated that the coin was misnumbered and not trackable. Under these circumstances I would request a trackable coin be sent as a replacement. What if, hypothetically, the vendor responded that they would only send a trackable coin if I sent back the "mistake" coin. My inclination would be to send back for a trackable coin (particularly if there were sold out) but I wonder if there would be some value to the mistakenly numbered coin. I wouldn't want to be the guy that, for example, got a Manny Ramirez baseball card and threw it out because it had a picture of David Ortiz (because baseball error cards have great value). Would you keep the error coin or get a trackable one?

Essentially the question is what is the value of an "error geocoin". Thoughts?

This is completely off topic but I was noticing the dates you two started and the amount of posts each of you had. Started within two months of each other but major difference in your posts. :huh::laughing:

Now on topic, I would imagine after a few years that error would be of considerable value. More so if the coin was a hot seller.

Edit to say the two are the two previous posters.

Edited by wyohunter

This is completely off topic but I was noticing the dates you two started and the amount of posts each of you had. Started within two months of each other but major difference in your posts. :huh::laughing:

Now on topic, I would imagine after a few years that error would be of considerable value. More so if the coin was a hot seller.

Yes I agree. Most error coins seem to be worth more than the regular ones. for example there was a coin that sold on ebay for over $300 just because it was an error coin. I am not saying that you should use ebay as a gauge of value but I would hang on to it if I was you.

I have an error Ohio 2005 coin TBMF5T that I grabbed out of this cache GCQQMZ it was dropped off 10-23-05 and it sat in the cache untill I grabbed it on 11-02-05.I emailed a few folks to find out why the coin could not be logged and finaly found out that the 4th number on the coin should have been a 2 not a 3 that is on the coin.When I take my coins to an event for others to look at and discover, I have a note for the error coin with the correct tracking number.This is one of my favorite coins because it is an error coin :laughing:

I don't know about a mis-numbered coin.

I've seen errors where a coin or two in a batch were either painted differently, or were not painted at all due to error and I think those become a bit more rare (just like error baseball cards do/did).

I'm not sure, in my mind, if a simple mis-numbering qualifies as an "error coin" because it's not automatically discernible as an error.

I guess at this point I don't have a strong opinion on this one. I'll sit on the fence while it's being discussed to see who's argument sways me one way or the other.

If the error is the fact that it has a duplicate tracking number (ie the same number was given to two different coins by mistake) as has recently happened with some coins; I would highly encourage you to exchange the coin for one with a good tracking number. If you decide at some point in time that you do not want the coin and do not exchange it the coin probably will not be able to be exchanged by the new owner and also will not be trackable. Having a tracking number that does not work doesn't make the coin rare, it's the same coin as all of the others, it just is lacking a valuable feature. The person who made these coins paid for them to be trackable, by human error this was messed up. When you get a new coin, you are just making things as the person who made the coin intended them to be.

IMO, a tracking number mistake wouldn't increase the value of the coin. It might even devalue it, since you can't activate it. So in essence, it'd be a non-trackable geocoin, which most collectors value less than a trackable geocoin.

I've seen (and have) coins where there has been incomplete or incorrect enameling done on the coin. I see this as more of a true error coin than one with a tracking number mistake.

I've seen (and have) coins where there has been incomplete or incorrect enameling done on the coin. I see this as more of a true error coin than one with a tracking number mistake.

I find this topic fascinating, as I have a coin (APE) that I almost returned because of incomplete enameling (that in mind, anyone want to purchase it?) that I was going to activate it and send it out there because I thought it was less collectible. Go figure.

My inclination would be to send back for a trackable coin (particularly if there were sold out) but I wonder if there would be some value to the mistakenly numbered coin. I wouldn't want to be the guy that, for example, got a Manny Ramirez baseball card and threw it out because it had a picture of David Ortiz (because baseball error cards have great value). Would you keep the error coin or get a trackable one?

It would depend on what I had intended to with the coin. If I wanted it to make it a traveler, or give it to someone else, then I'd exchange it for a fully functional one. If I was just going to keep it in my personal collection then I wouldn't bother.

If your planning to sell it, you have to keep in mind that whatever you think it may be worth, you still have to find someone else who also thinks it is worth at least that much to get paid :laughing:. If someone's not a BB card collector, they may not care who's on who's card because they aren't going to buy it :huh: .

I would probably agree that a wrong tracking number isn't as significant an "error" as, say, a mispainted coin. Also, if it's a standard prefix there's nothing to say that incorrect tracking number won't be issued to and activated by someone else at some point. Then you just have a coin with a tracking number that shows up online as another coin activated by someone else.

Value is in the eye of the beholder. If you found someone who collects error coins, it could be a more valuable trader. But to joe on the street who wants a trackable coin with an icon it would be less desirable. It all depends.