Locks

biosearch

I was just thinking (and for those of you who know me you know what a major effort that takes for me) and a thought crossed my mind. I thought that locking a cache box, like an ammo can perhaps, might be an interesting or good thing. I mean it would keep out muggles. One might even be able to lock it down to some fixed point, with a cable perhaps. The cache description would have the lock combination, or perhaps make it a puzzle cache with the puzzle answer being the lock combination.

Again, just a thought.

I once considered putting out a cache where the finders would have to 'crack' a master lock's combination, but I tossed the idea because I figured that very few cachers would be willing to learn how to do it and because a muggle would be more likely to damage the box (or simply remove it) out of curiosity. Also, if the box was reported to authorities, it would have zero possibility of survival.

I was just thinking (and for those of you who know me you know what a major effort that takes for me) and a thought crossed my mind. I thought that locking a cache box, like an ammo can perhaps, might be an interesting or good thing. I mean it would keep out muggles. One might even be able to lock it down to some fixed point, with a cable perhaps. The cache description would have the lock combination, or perhaps make it a puzzle cache with the puzzle answer being the lock combination.

Again, just a thought.

I've seen a few caches (in my short caching experience) that have had the ammo cans strapped down and locked to a tree or other solid object to discourage stealing by muggles. One cache I remember seeing the cable before seeing the cache. When I left the cache back in it's original hide, I made sure to better cover the "un-natural Blue Cable" that stuck out against the brown/grey fallen tree that the cache was connected to.

It seems to me that locking up the contents of the cache would be a detriment to placing or removing things from the cache, unless maybe the key was part of a multi that forced you to go to A to get the key, then you needed said key for the rest of the hide(s) with deposition of said key in the last part of the multi so that there was some way to recover the keys. Hmm, sounds kind of like a good idea. It would force you to go in order.

Vince

Again, just a thought.

I've seen a few caches (in my short caching experience) that have had the ammo cans strapped down and locked to a tree or other solid object to discourage stealing by muggles. One cache I remember seeing the cable before seeing the cache. When I left the cache back in it's original hide, I made sure to better cover the "un-natural Blue Cable" that stuck out against the brown/grey fallen tree that the cache was connected to.

It seems to me that locking up the contents of the cache would be a detriment to placing or removing things from the cache, unless maybe the key was part of a multi that forced you to go to A to get the key, then you needed said key for the rest of the hide(s) with deposition of said key in the last part of the multi so that there was some way to recover the keys. Hmm, sounds kind of like a good idea. It would force you to go in order.

Vince

Was thinking more of a combination lock which would be included in a puzzle cache. The cacher would have the actual location coord. but not have the combination, that would be the puzzle. Can't log it if you can't open it.

I had thought about the key idea with a multi-however you would have to have it close by and they would have to be able to take the key and replace it. To great a chance for the key to get missing.

I have placed a locked ammo box as part of a puzzle.

However, I think if you are planning on locking a box to keep non geocachers out it may have the opposite affect. Finding a locked container would pique the interest of nearly anybody and make them wonder what is inside. I think this increases the likelyhood of someone taking the cache home and opening it with a hacksaw or sledgehammer.

If its not locked the person can at least open it and satisfy their curiousity and hopefully leave it in place.

There are three caches in the Seattle area that we know of (one is ours) that involve knowing a combination to open. None of those three have had problems with muggles, as far as we know.

We won't be more specific about the caches, for fear of giving too much information. One is a puzzle - you have to figure out the combination from the cache description. One is set up like a multi - you find a micro, and the log sheet has information, and a combination, for finding a regular-sized, locked cache. With ours, the combination is listed in the cache description - the cache is a common object not typically used as a cache container, so it doesn't attract muggle curiosity.

I have been to about a half-dozen caches that have combination locks on them that you are supposed to open. A couple of them have been on traditional caches with the combo number right on the cache description, and then the rest have been puzzle caches where you get the required numbers by doing some observing of your surroundings.

They are great ideas for caches, just make sure they are not hidden to make them look a little sketchy to muggles. The locked caches that I have found were camo'd very well.

I have a cache that has a lock. It is a mystery cache that gives the cacher no clue about a lock being involved. The cacher only know there is more than one stage. The coords lead them straight to the cache. When they uncover the ammo can they think, "so what's the mystery?" when they try to open it, it is locked. About a 700 foot backtrack walk will give them the key. When they return to their vehicles, they walk by the place where the key is hidden so they can return it without going out of the way. Here it is:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...3e-36dcfcd2f4e7

I've seen half a dozen cached like this.

As Brian noted above. Two of the caches have been stolen, the assumption is that a muggle came across these and was way too interested in the locked container.

Another poster noted that if the authorities found this it would be come an issue.

I realize that the clandestine nature of Geocaching is appealing to most cachers, but sometimes obtaining proper permission is not a bad thing.

All things considered, the locked cache container can make for a fun adventure. :laughing:

I found one micro that was a lock. The first two digits of the Lat. and Long. coordinates made the combo together. The lock used is below. The combo only opens the chamber, so finders can't remove the actual lock. It was locked onto a chain-link fence on an overpass.

http://www.shurlok-products.com/

I found one using a similar lock. The combo had to do with a famous book by George Orwell . . . :laughing:

Another was a container that was a cross between an ammo can and a paint can. There was a metal ring securing the lid to the container and the ring was held together with a combo lock. The cache was all about the local area codes and the combo was the local area code!

Again, just a thought.

Vince

Was thinking more of a combination lock which would be included in a puzzle cache. The cacher would have the actual location coord. but not have the combination, that would be the puzzle. Can't log it if you can't open it.

I had thought about the key idea with a multi-however you would have to have it close by and they would have to be able to take the key and replace it. To great a chance for the key to get missing.

I did that exact thing whis my first cache only i listed is as a multi cache It's called "the first shall be last"

They must be awful common. I've found one, part of a puzzle cache where you had to find a hiddden key to open a lock on an electrical box on a fence post. The box had the owners initials on it to help you identify it. It was not near anything powered and had no wires to it so it was pretty clear. A similar cache elsewhere had the combination for the lock in the cache description as the hint.

We also own a locked cache. It is a fuse box mounted to a light pole. The combo is given in the Additional Hints part of the cache write up. We only did this after the first cache we put at this location was muggled. Don't think anyone will be stealing this cache now. Have had many good comments about the hide and find.