GPSMAP 60C

Lake Camelot

Hi, newbie here. I am looking to buy my first GPS and take up geocaching. I can't afford the newer garmin's that are similar. I see on ebay the GPSMAP 60C is in the $170.00 range. At first I wanted to stay below $150.00 . But I was wondering about this item. It looks durable with a good screen. I know it has internal 56mb with no card avail. is this a major problem for a beginer? Should I look at another GPS like etrex for the same or less money? I realize this has already been discussed many times in this forum, but I don't see this exact model being discussed. Thanks for any input, and Happy Valentines Day! :unsure:

It's a discontinued model that Garmin is no longer making but they do support it. 56mb actually is plenty of memory for 90 percent of geocachers... 56mb will hold the maps for both South Carolina and Georgia in MetroGuide. MetroGuide and other mapping software will generally be close to 100 bucks or more.

If it was a new model, I would take it over a new Legend B&W unit.

If it is a used unit, the warranty might have expired and it's a lot of money for a used unit you are taking a gamble on.

In itself, the 60C will work excellent for geocaching...

If its a used unit I don't think I would pay $170 for it. Maybe new, in the box. If you are willing to pay $170, shop around for a eTrex Venture CX. You can pick one up for close to that price if you shop wisely. You'll get slightly better reception than the 60C and expandible map memory with the Venture CX.

Either the 60C or Venture CX would be much better than the B&W Legend. Also don't confuse the Venture CX for the Venture. The latter is a notch below the Legend as far as features.

Edited by briansnat