Is my garmin defective?!

gamja

I bought a new garmin Venture Cx recently, and so far, everything has been going all right. However, it seems that every time I put the thing in my pocket, it loses the GPS connection. Even when I place my hand over the globe symbol (which I'm assuming is where the antenna is), it loses all of the connections in a few seconds. The sky was clear and blue when I was doing this. Is this normal or do I just have a defective unit?

The GPS unit has to have a clear "line of sight" to a satellite to receive its signal. Solid objects such as trees, buildings, hills, and your hand can all prevent that. That's why you get fewer satellites among skyscrapers or trees, but lots in an open field (depending on the sat configuration at any given time). Clouds, otoh, are not an issue; they are fluffy and insubstantial. :unsure:

Edited by hydnsek

As others have pointed out everything is acting normally. Your body is an excellent blocker of the signal. What hasn't been mentioned, you don't have to lose all satellites to lose lock. Just get below 3 satellites visible and satellite lock is lost and the unit will not be able to compute a location. You will also lose lock if satellites aren't seen long enough for the calculation to be made. In your scenario, turning around me let it see several satellites at different points in the sky, but only for a few seconds at a time so the GPS doesn't get the time to get lock.

JD

I bought a new garmin Venture Cx recently, and so far, everything has been going all right. However, it seems that every time I put the thing in my pocket, it loses the GPS connection. Even when I place my hand over the globe symbol (which I'm assuming is where the antenna is), it loses all of the connections in a few seconds. The sky was clear and blue when I was doing this. Is this normal or do I just have a defective unit?
Here's how I carry my Venture Cx:

GPScase1.jpg

It is shown attached to the shoulder strap of my daypack.

GPScase2.jpg

The human body is comprised mostly of water, the GPS's use microwave frequencies [1575 MHz] to "talk" to your GPSr, have you ever put water in a microwave oven? Have we got an Ah...Ha Yet?

Hermit