I stuggle with Puzzles

bilbad

I really struggle with puzzle caches. I think they are fun and my partner likes them. I just don't have a puzzle thinking mind or something. I know some are self explanatory like word search and some are time consuming (at least for me) like sudoku puzzles and there are some I just don't get or even know how to start to get. Maybe some of you can tell me some ideas on puzzle caches you have done or puzzles in general. I do not want any solutions, just an idea on how to get started. Do you research somewhere?

My initial approach is to try and figure out commonality between the posted coords and the puzzle. Because of the "2 mile radius" issue, most puzzles around here will have the same north & west minutes, (N28*/W081*) in both the posted coords and the actual coords. Knowing what I am looking for helps me try and figure out the solution. Google is my next stop.

Breaking a code often depends on knowing a small part of the original text.

If there are a bunch of numbers and letters, it's probably some kind of code. If it makes sense, I start by assuming it's just coordinates that are somehow encrypted. So I look for two anomalies in the text (for example, two numbers where the rest of the text is letters), as these often represent N and W (or S and E, depending where you are). Then I try to figure out how they got from N and W to the ciphertext, then work backwards from there.

If there is a longer string of text and numbers, I start by assuming it's the coordinates written out. I'll look for hyphens and for sections that may represent "NORTH", "WEST", "DEGREES", and "MINUTES", (whatever pattern in the ciphertext that represents those last two will generally appear twice, so I look for that as well). I also will look for the degree number (it's usually "FORTYTWO" and "EIGHTYTHREE" by me).

If there is accompanying text, I also look for the names of common ciphers sprinkled in as clues, like Caesar or Enigma. I may also Google any words that stand out to see if anything about codes comes up.

Those are usually my initial steps. I hope it helps.

Edit: Another first step -- I also look for alternate numbering systems. If there are numbers and letters, but nothing beyond F, try hexidecimal. If it's all numbers and nothing above 7, try octal. Etc etc.

Edited by Dinoprophet

The very first thing i do on a puzzle cache is press ctrl and a to select all text.

This highlights any invisible text or things you may be missing.

After this i right click and view source and look for anything different in there knowing a bit of basic HTML helps here.

After that i do a google on the cache page name to see if its been discussed somewhere else on the internet.

Always follow the users web page link as it sometimes leads elsewhere.

Sudoku use an online or palm based solver.

Check the owners profile page thoroughly for further clues as well.

Alternatively email the owner or click ignore.

My solution to difficult puzzles is this: 1) open the cache page. 2) click "ignore this listing". 3) Never worry about it again :blink:

Now that is funny! It is my first inclination but my sweetie thinks they are kewl so I am trying to figure out how to do them with her. I really thank all of you for this great info and it has helped get me going. I have actually figured out a couple that had me stumped. Man who ever thought geocaching would have brought me to this level.... (can be taken either way i suppose :unsure: ) anyway my sweetie is really happy.

I take it that you are looking for ideas. I enjoy making puzzles caches. Here is several I have done, using different ideas.

Oil !

Movie Mania

"Oldies but Goodies"

The Truth is out there

X doesn't Mark the Spot

Geography

Thorolfur's Treasure

I agree, try to use something that gives no one a particular advantage, like advanced math puzzles.

Watch using terms that are just for your type of industry. I ran into one, that I was working on, one time and the owner had used several acronyms that only someone in that industry would be familiar with. It was very frustrating. For example, I live in Houston and I am surrounded by Oil and gas workers, but I am not in that industry, so using terms familiar to them (like GOM) means nothing to me. Oh, GOM is Gulf of Mexico !

Also, something that requires them to do some homework before they go out.

It is also fun to include pictures (you can't Google a picture..hahahaha)

Before TPTB stopped it, I had my "Oldies but Goodies" page, so you couldn't right click on it. But, now, TPTB have stopped scripts from running on the cache pages. Now cachers can hi-lite the words and Google them.

That makes it too easy....

Hope this helps...

My solution to difficult puzzles is this: 1) open the cache page. 2) click "ignore this listing". 3) Never worry about it again :lol:

Indirectly (since we're not premium members and don't have the direct ignore feature) we do that too. There is one nearby puzzle cache we decided to try because it was a relatively simple puzzle with a lot of hints and I still had the coords wrong and sent us into thick thorny underbrush. Boy was the wife PO'd when the cache owner responded to our DNF and showed me that I had sent us very much to the wrong place ;) But I'd love to have at least one of these under our belt so now that we have the puzzle "solved" we'll try again once the cold and ice clears.

I have never noticed any puzzle caches in my area that sounds like a lot of fun!

We did one but it was set as a multi instead of the question mark. This one was fun as it required you to follow a trail through a preserve. Along the trail there were posts that told you some educational thing about trees or what-not. On each post was a set of numbers from one of those tape machines that you can punch out numbers and letters. when you did the complete tour and had all your numbers there was a form with simple math for each coodinate number. It took some time but is still one of our favorite caches we have done. Nice walk through the woods and then a clever hide with the cache at the end.

Lesliea maybe you could start a trend and put out one?! The last one used the letters on a phone to aquire the cood numbers... that one had me stumped but Jill figured it out. We havn't gone for this cache yet as we just got 18" of snow but I am sure she got it right.

Boy, come visit my area (Denver-metro) and you can become adept or overwhelmed with puzzle caches!

Solving: First slooowly read then reread the cache puzzle, hints and name. Many times, clues are hidden there. Then make ample use of Google, Yahoo, Dogpile, etc., by searching the puzzle. Ask friends and co-workers. You would be surprised at how hard others will work to help out. If you have really made a concerted effort or just have no clue where to start, email the cache owner. Many times, they are helpful if you are really trying to solve the puzzle. I usually send my thinking process so the cache owner can enjoy my crazy brain! Sometimes, just put it aside for a couple of months and revisit. If you have a local geocaching group, attend their meetings. See if anyone else is working on the puzzle. Two heads are better than one!

Preliminary Coordinates: When I get the first set of coordinates, I use Google Earth to "see" where the coordinates put me. If the coordinates put in in the middle of a reservoir or on a rooftop, I figure I am probably off. If I "land" near a bike path or shopping center parking lot, then I figure I am close or correct. Some puzzles use the checking feature from www.geochecker.com. This cuts down on the email a cache owner receives about their puzzle cache. I am currently working on GC10KDR, but have not yet solved all the ditloids (stuck on 7 JEJ, 5 N in a Q and 54 F in C (I thought this was faces on a rubik's cube, but I am not sure)), so I don't have coordinates to check with geochecker.com. To check your coordinates using the Geochecker, use the linnk on the caches page--not the Geochecker.com site. The actual site is for the cache hider to create the "answer." Puzzle solvers use the link from the cache page.

I am currently working on a series of puzzle caches (Mondo's Star #1, #2, ..., in the Denver-Metro area). You may want to look at these to get an idea of some really great and rather difficult puzzles. (I'm really stumped on #5 (something about geocaching), #12 (Colorado Rockies first ballgame-scoring an inning-Huh?), #14 ???, #17 (something about keyboard layouts), and #21 (temp of sun then convert to ???).

I work on puzzles during inclement weather so I have a bunch of coordinates to go play when the sunshine returns. Besides, studies have proven that using our brains helps our mental acuity as we age...or else you get worse for wear!!

Have fun,

Outspoken1

I don't particularly care for puzzle caches and neither does anyone in my family. I just completed this one yesterday with another cacher. She seems to solve them with ease. After a few hints from her and a few changes on the cache page, I finally got it. This one was pretty straight forward but we have another one here that takes a long time to complete.

Yesterday's we did is GC10YXR

and the hardest ever is that I've done GCJYCH

I've gotten to like some of the puzzle caches around here in Tampa Bay, Fl area ( maybe cause I solved them :blink: )

The only thing the kind of disappoints me is the type of container you find afterwards-make the cache a Ammo Can or something worth hunting! :o I mean some of them I solved and went to find was a bison tube in a tree or a 35mm- blah all that just to sign my name to a log sheet- let me get a reward (other than the felling of solving the puzzle) for finding the cache

Edited by Capt Biggins

I've gotten to like some of the puzzle caches around here in Tampa Bay, Fl area ( maybe cause I solved them :) )

That Grey Wolf sure is a character, ain't he?

The only thing the kind of disappoints me is the type of container you find afterwards-make the cache a Ammo Can or something worth hunting!

I try to make the reward commensurate with the effort on my puzzles, but sometimes there's no way to make a puzzle work that would lead you to a place where you could reasonably place an ammo can in an urban area. My "Cars" cache is like that ... it's only a micro because I couldn't find a location for something larger that would work without spoiling the puzzle itself.

-eP (a Puzzle-Headed Weenie)

The very first thing i do on a puzzle cache is press ctrl and a to select all text.

After this i right click and view source and look for anything different in there knowing a bit of basic HTML helps here.

After that i do a google on the cache page name to see if its been discussed somewhere else on the internet.

Great list.

Some additional things I do:

Read the text and look for words that seem out of place or like they have been sort of forced into the sentence. They are probably a key to solving the puzzle.

If it is a number game you may be able to figure out at least 4 of the numbers and putting them into their spots may reveal more. I am at 40 nn.nnn x -75 nn.nnn so 0,4,5,& 7 are often obvious and if you're lucky there are more of those numbers in the final coordinates.

Use a map. If you solve either longitude or latitude you may be able to narrow your search enough to wing it from there just based on where the public land is and topography. I've narrowed down placement to a line between two points and simply walked that line to find the cache, or narrowed it down to a specific area like maybe a 60 foot square and done a quick area search. I certainly would never fret over that thousandths digit.

...but if they appear to be some kind of computer geek thing with a bunch of meaningless data I also ignore them and go find something else. :)

.... i understand it takes many months and a good amount of alcohol to solve them.

Hmmm... wonder if a little less alcohol would equal a few less months? :)

We've got (what I consider) an overabundance of puzzle caches in my area, mainly because I don't have the foggiest idea how to work them. Usually, I look at them, decide they're a bit too difficult, and go on to the ones I can understand (more or less).

Our local organization had a session on puzzles about a month and a half ago, and I see that it helped some people. Shame I had to work... Maybe I just need to start meeting some of the serious puzzle cachers around here and start learning how they do it.

I really struggle with puzzle caches. I think they are fun and my partner likes them. I just don't have a puzzle thinking mind or something. I know some are self explanatory like word search and some are time consuming (at least for me) like sudoku puzzles and there are some I just don't get or even know how to start to get. Maybe some of you can tell me some ideas on puzzle caches you have done or puzzles in general. I do not want any solutions, just an idea on how to get started. Do you research somewhere?
I have adapted to create puzzles that you can't solve with Google. If you happen to run into one that can't be solved with Google, the first thing you should do is to brainstorm. This means writing down everything that you can observe about the puzzle or that you can dig up by carefully examining the cache page. Don't worry about putting the pieces together at this point just brainstorm. After you have brainstormed to the point where your ideas have run dry then look at all your observations and see if something clicks. If nothing clicks then walk away and clear your head. Often ideas may pop into your head and eventually so will the right approach. Don't be afraid to try new approaches. I think many times the reason people can't solve puzzles is because they take the wrong approach and get stuck in a mindset with that one approach. Lastly, if all else fails team up with some friends to do the puzzle. It's a great way to have some fun! :)

If nothing clicks then walk away and clear your head. Often ideas may pop into your head and eventually so will the right approach. Don't be afraid to try new approaches. I think many times the reason people can't solve puzzles is because they take the wrong approach and get stuck in a mindset with that one approach.

A great example of that is a cache I found way back (long archived). The first stage was a micro with a code in it, a bunch of letters and numbers. The obvious first thing to try was convert the numbers to letters and vice versa, A=1, B=2, etc. But what I got didn't look like coordinates. It started with "17T" then some other letters and numbers. I pondered it with several other cachers for three weeks at least, decoding it every way we could think of. Then one day, I was talking on the phone and staring blankly at a cache page. My eye fell on the first part of the UTM coordinates that are on every cache page but I had always scanned right over: 17T. "Huh, how about that, just like that one way of decoding that cache..............." I missed the rest of the phone conversation, and I found the cache on the way home from work. The rush of a "Eureka" moment like that is what makes puzzle caches fun.

So there's another tip: beware of alternate coordinate systems.

I have been thinking about this for a few days (puzzle caches).

Are there any online tools to help with puzzle caches? I remember seeing a site somewhere that would tell you if you have the correct coordinates after you thought you solved the puzzle.

I have done a search and cant seem to find anything. :)

I was not much of a puzzle fan until recenty. I found some like minded cachers who enjoy having a good time. So we now get together to solve puzzles. You may try the same idea. Get some pizza/beer, meet somewhere that has a couple computers and have some fun brainstorming ideas. Get a list of easy to hard puzzles and see how many you can work through. You might be surprised at how effective that can be.

We tend to enjoy the puzzles that are "hidden" rather than the no brainer Google and plug in numbers type.

Words of wisdom, pictures can be much more than they appear in lots of different ways. Keep looking at everything even if it seems like it might be the same picture linked. Not always the case. Count letters in sentances to see if they match coords. etc. You ever read Mad magazine? remember the last page? Theres no end of tricks it seems.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

Every puzzle is different.

Codes are simple to break since English is a very redundant language. Just spell out the most common words you would find in a coord and go from there. Zero, One, Two,... Nine, Ten , Eleven, ... Twenty, Thirty, ... Ninety, Hundred, Thousand, Degree, Latitude, Longitude, North, West, Northing, Easting, Zone, Parking...

Some very important and useful words are 'three' and 'seven' simply for the patterns of E..

Another thing to know is that in English, but really only for very long text, the most common letters are in the following order 'etaoin shrdlu ...'. Thats the name of a cool science fiction story.

Puzzles that are not codes just plain take noggin power.

P.S. What's the first number that has a A in it? How about D, how about M? Interesting to know but totally not related to this topic.

Oh, there are many coordinate checkers out there, but no resource I know of to list them. Just look at every cache you can think of, mostly puzzles and make your own list.

I wonder if one can cheat by owning a puzzle checker, but that's despicable. I'm sure that they use one way encryption so even the owner can't SEE the coords.

Edited by trainlove

Well, it looks like this thread was what I was looking for - training on solving puzzle caches.

Please keep it going!!!

A couple meager things I have learned:

1) sometimes people will hide information in the HTML code of the the web page itself. When you are viewing the cache listing online, choose view, source (if using IE) and glance through the encoding of the page. There might be something there.

2) Some puzzles have ise a technique called "Steganography", where you basically can open up the raw code of a jpeg, gif, bmp, etc. graphics file, insert some text, and then recompile the picture. Now, it looks exactly the same as the original, but, hidden inside, there is a text message. I have not found any freeware software to decode these type of clues, but I am sure it must be out there somewhere.

3) Sometimes, people will post what looks like gibberish, but it is using a certain font/character set. Determining what font/character set is used and finding the symbol numbers within the character set often yields the coordinates.

Heres a good training to that would help me out.

I found this in a different thread:

Hey, I just thought of one.

How does 42 Its hard. Absolute baboon methods

and

82 Your welcome. Always thankful host

translate to 42 34.867 and 82 47.684

Is this clever, or just too darn easy?

Can someone provide some guidance on how one might solve this type of puzzle?

This is all really good advise.

Emailing the cache owner is always the best approach.

As a owner of many puzzle caches, I really like hearing for cachers working on my puzzles.

I enjoy helping cachers solve puzzle and try to give them constructive hints that will help them solve similar type puzzle caches in the future.

As a CO, it's also good to know where people are getting hung up.

I want people to find my caches and I want them to have fun solving and hunting my caches, so to that end, anything I can do to help is a pleasure.

Great list.

Some additional things I do:

Read the text and look for words that seem out of place or like they have been sort of forced into the sentence. They are probably a key to solving the puzzle.

If it is a number game you may be able to figure out at least 4 of the numbers and putting them into their spots may reveal more. I am at 40 nn.nnn x -75 nn.nnn so 0,4,5,& 7 are often obvious and if you're lucky there are more of those numbers in the final coordinates.

Use a map. If you solve either longitude or latitude you may be able to narrow your search enough to wing it from there just based on where the public land is and topography. I've narrowed down placement to a line between two points and simply walked that line to find the cache, or narrowed it down to a specific area like maybe a 60 foot square and done a quick area search. I certainly would never fret over that thousandths digit.

...but if they appear to be some kind of computer geek thing with a bunch of meaningless data I also ignore them and go find something else. :laughing:

I like to have cache coordinates, and go look for the cache with my GPS. Simple as that.

A puzzle is just an annoying waste of time that gets in the way. If I wasn't trying to keep up with finding every single cache within sensible range, I'd just ignore them. Why must I jump through hoops and guess what the cache owner was thinking, just to have a chance of looking for their cache?!

I don't mind 'puzzles' that involve looking for things near the cache (scavenger hunts that show you interesting things) and anything that can be followed step by step logically (if I must), but I really get cheesed off with the pointless mind-reading-required puzzles. Each to their own I suppose, if they enjoy that sort of thing - there's room in the hobby for it - but it doesn't really fit into my definition of geocaching. It's an extra layer of faffing about that I just don't need.

:laughing:

I like to have cache coordinates, and go look for the cache with my GPS. Simple as that.

A puzzle is just an annoying waste of time that gets in the way. If I wasn't trying to keep up with finding every single cache within sensible range, I'd just ignore them. Why must I jump through hoops and guess what the cache owner was thinking, just to have a chance of looking for their cache?!

I don't mind 'puzzles' that involve looking for things near the cache (scavenger hunts that show you interesting things) and anything that can be followed step by step logically (if I must), but I really get cheesed off with the pointless mind-reading-required puzzles. Each to their own I suppose, if they enjoy that sort of thing - there's room in the hobby for it - but it doesn't really fit into my definition of geocaching. It's an extra layer of faffing about that I just don't need.

:laughing:

Personally, I see geocaching as a great reason to get outside, get some exercise, fresh air, etc. and as a side note find some McToys inside Tupperware. :-)

I see this puzzle solving as sitting in front of my PC for hours, searching the web for some clue to solving the puzzle, getting fat and pasty white.

The more time spent doing the first, the better.

The less time spent doing the second, the better.

This is why I want to learn the art of puzzling, so I can solve these puzzles quickly and get back out there. As an IT person, I spend enough time in front of the PC as it is.

Each to their own I suppose ....

There you go, you've hit the nail squarely in the center of the head. As someone who enjoys creating puzzle caches, I'll have to say that this aspect of geocaching probably appeals more to those who enjoy a bit of mental stimulation, and to whom the novelty of finding a traditional cache has worn a bit thin ..... there's just so much of a challenge that the typical parking lot micro, P&G cache, or even the average ammo can in the woods can provide. I'll venture to say that the people who enjoy creating puzzle caches are probably those who enjoyed creating treasure hunts for their friends in their childhood and have now incorporated this leaning into their new hobby. What I really can't understand is why people who don't enjoy doing puzzle caches continue to whine about it in these forums ..... just ignore them if you don't like them! :laughing:

Each to their own I suppose ....

There you go, you've hit the nail squarely in the center of the head. As someone who enjoys creating puzzle caches, I'll have to say that this aspect of geocaching probably appeals more to those who enjoy a bit of mental stimulation, and to whom the novelty of finding a traditional cache has worn a bit thin ..... there's just so much of a challenge that the typical parking lot micro, P&G cache, or even the average ammo can in the woods can provide. I'll venture to say that the people who enjoy creating puzzle caches are probably those who enjoyed creating treasure hunts for their friends in their childhood and have now incorporated this leaning into their new hobby. What I really can't understand is why people who don't enjoy doing puzzle caches continue to whine about it in these forums ..... just ignore them if you don't like them! :laughing:

I like the comparisons made between the physical skills required for some caches, such as SCUBA, rock climbing, etc. and the mental skills for puzzle solving.

I think both have their place. My problem is, I can pretty much figure out that if a cache is on a sheer rock face I might need climbing skills. I can then go out, get the required training, equipment, experience, etc. to climb that rock face. Similiarly, if the cache is in an underwater cave, I can do the same by training in SCUBA diving.

Sooooo, where do I go to get trained in geocache puzzle solving?

Hopefully, right here in this thread. Therefore, I hope this thread stays on track with more advice on how to solve puzzles and doesn't go off on a "I hate puzzles" of "I love puzzles" rant thread.

Edited by LivesWithMonkeys

Therefore, I hope this thread stays on track with more advice on how to solve puzzles and doesn't go off on a "I hate puzzles" of "I love puzzles" rant thread.

Thanks for keeping me on track! :laughing: Here are two suggestions I don't think anyone has mentioned as yet.

1. Look carefully at the cache title. There's often a clue in there somewhere.

2. If there's one, look at the background image on the cache page. There's got to be a reason the puzzle creator used that particular image and there's often a visual clue in there as well.

and

The 42 and 82 are obviously the two degree numbers (I say "obvious" because that's what we see all the time for Michigan caches. Other areas would of course have other obvious numbers). So how do you turn the words into the rest of the digits? You know you need to come up with ten more digits (five for each coordinate). First, start counting things. If that doesn't work, look for some other way to get numbers. Is it the number of the first letter of each word (no, because the M in "methods" would be 13)? The sum of all the letters of each word? Can you get Roman numerals out of the words? Of hexidecimal numbers?

and

The 42 and 82 are obviously the two degree numbers (I say "obvious" because that's what we see all the time for Michigan caches. Other areas would of course have other obvious numbers). So how do you turn the words into the rest of the digits? You know you need to come up with ten more digits (five for each coordinate). First, start counting things. If that doesn't work, look for some other way to get numbers. Is it the number of the first letter of each word (no, because the M in "methods" would be 13)? The sum of all the letters of each word? Can you get Roman numerals out of the words? Of hexidecimal numbers?

I see. Thanks for the advice. I get it now.

My initial approach is to try and figure out commonality between the posted coords and the puzzle. Because of the "2 mile radius" issue, most puzzles around here will have the same north & west minutes, (N28*/W081*) in both the posted coords and the actual coords.

That's true, so true in fact that many puzzle cache creators will simply concede this fact and build the puzzle around the last 3 digits in the N and W co-ords. A not uncommon diversionary tactic is to simply reverse the co-ordinates in the puzzle solutions so that they're not so glaringly obvious.

Edited by JamGuys

Pray.

For those of you that ignore the puzzle caches, first of course, that is your prerogative. BUT, most puzzle caches around here are extremely well done. I have been disappointed only once with a puzzle cache. The only reason then was that it was a really well thought out puzzle with only a micro at the end. If you are going to spend a certain amount of time trying to work out a puzzle and then hunting the cache, at least give me a can in the woods.

A couple around here, like Hanging Rock Hollow are puzzle/mystery caches that give a great payoff and should be rated much higher than they are.

One like the original Tube Torcher, which was listed as a multi cache, I would consider a puzzle cache as well. Caches like these mix it up from the same old point a to point b routine.