Reviewer Requirements

lordofthings

Yes, I was wondering myself. I have noticed that the cachés in my home country are always reviewed by someone that lives on the other side of the ocean. While mostly I have no objection, shouldn't a native have preference in the choosing of a reviewer? a native has better knowledge of the geography and laws of the country in question and can therefore (provided he or she has enough geocaching experience) provide a better assesment of the caché.

Just curious

Yes, I was wondering myself. I have noticed that the cachés in my home country are always reviewed by someone that lives on the other side of the ocean. While mostly I have no objection, shouldn't a native have preference in the choosing of a reviewer? a native has better knowledge of the geography and laws of the country in question and can therefore (provided he or she has enough geocaching experience) provide a better assesment of the caché.

Just curious

This site chooses the reviewers. They do like locals where they can find them. They do look for knowlege of geoaching rules, regs, involvment in cache groups among other things.

garri is our Spanish speaking reviewer. Although he is in Europe, he covers all spanish speaking areas, and probably other areas.

GSP does try to get local people to cover the areas, but not all areas have enough workload to warrant thier own local reviewer. Note: Panama only has 24 caches, and many of them have not been found since placed 2-3 months ago.

A certain amount of self loathing.

Free Time.

Release from Mental institution.

Experience Caching.

An Invitation from HQ.

Thick skin.

True that......Thick skin is a MUST when reviewing caches. I am not a reviewer, but I have done a lot of observing of other reviewers lately and I can see where thick skin is a great thing to have.

Garri is the reviewer for all the countries in South America, some in the Central and Caribbean, Spain and Portugal.

So far, and I'm speaking for his work reviewing caches in Portugal, he's been doing a great job. Of course the distance, and the lack of local knowledge, could be a problem sometimes, but these things are easily fixed with the help of the local geocachers.

Still, there are some that think that Portugal could have a local reviewer instead of a Spanish (Catalan, actually) reviewer.

We also solved that. Check his profile photo. :unsure:

Well I hope I do get invited someday to be a reviewer for my home country. I just spent nearly 5 months there again and as a rule (more than the exception) I go every year.

Needless to say I lived there some 24 years and am quite in touch with the reality of the country, its geography and the mindset of the locals (to name a few :-)) Additionally I might be re-emigrating there within a year or two.

Yes, there are only 20+ caches hidden there but you should also consider that a year ago there were only about 4 caches, of which 2 were "virtual" caches. The local geocaching community is growing though it might take a while.

Also, as tourism is growing we see the trend of geocaching tourism in Panama as well. Personally I do have some plans for geocaching in Panama but I still need time to investigate some things.

Well, hopefully one day I get invited to become a Panama reviewer :-)

Edited by lordofthings

Sorry to come in a bit late, but the list of requirements for a reviewer includes (but is not limited to) :

High intelligence

Good looks

Being immediately trusted by children and animals

Winning personality

Sex appeal

Literacy (to Pulitzer Prize level, preferably)

Physical fitness

Modesty

It's an elite group.