ICONIC FUGAWI ANYBODY?

fraggle69

Hiya all,

I was given Fugawi as a present awhile back, because I asked nicely for it and it's compatible with my palm PDA unlike memory map and is aloso alot closer to my budget. I wanted it so that we could pick out footpaths and be able to plot the cache on the map and plan the best route to it.

Well it works so I have no huge complaints. There's some qwerky bits, such as because I use a palm I can only load bite sized maps but they're more than enough to cover a large town or city town and then some. So I pick a town and I copy it to the palm then move it to the memory card. Not perfect but it does the job in the end.

I noticed lordelph published some way of importing geocache icons into memory map. This got me thinking about Fugawi.

Anyway, does anybody that uses Fugawi have any cool ways of using the geocache icons?

I copied the geocache icons and popped them into the Fugawi Icon Folder so that's one way of making the icons available. If you're clever at naming the icons you can have them appear at the top of the icon list. Before you import the waypoint file created by GSAK, you assign the icon you want to be associated with that import. I'd love to know if there's a shortcut to get around the way in which icons are assigned to waypoints.

You can setup your filters in GSAk to produce waypoint files for each cache type. This is a long method, so I wrote a little script that interrogates a single waypoint file created by GSAK, and outputs waypoint files for each cache type. You then follow the above process but make sure that you create a waypoint folder to add your import or things will get messy quickly. Personaly I have a folder for each cache type and a couple more for caches found etc.

I'd like to know if the icons can be transferred to the palm for use in the field? I am guessing we are left with the lame waypoint indicators as standard:(

I am currently trying to find out the maximum file size that can be imported, before Fugawi crashes :(.

Maybe all this is old news or maybe it will help someone out, I just thought it was worth publishing as there's not too much info about Fugawi & Geocaching out there.

390113643_4c263ddd4e_b.jpg

Edited by fraggle69

I still use Fugawi on my Palm and download maps in the same way that you do which slightly irritates me. Do you know if is possible in any way to download the maps directly to a sd card using a card reader? I have the South of England/Wales on one disk, some 629mb. I opened the Fugawi CD files and instructed them to be sent to the card (E) which was a 1gb card. It ran for 14 minutes and then when I put the card in the Palm to see the maps nothing! Checked the card for contents and it shows only 359mb had been used? So no nearer to solving the problem......any suggestions? Icons, no I do not have them, just the little black square when we get to the vicinity of that part of map. :ph34r::ph34r::huh:

I still use Fugawi on my Palm and download maps in the same way that you do which slightly irritates me. Do you know if is possible in any way to download the maps directly to a sd card using a card reader?

Hi Gralorn,

there is no other way to transfer the maps to the palm except in the following way

1) transfer the map

2)Export the map to SD card

I am told that this is something to do with when the map is opened in Fugawi it uses X amount of system RAM, so I am told huge files on an SD card will not be seen. Sort of makes sense, but I suspect it's more to do with how the software processes the map durring hotsync of maps.

When cutting a map I use 25% zoom so I get a fairly big area and just call the map the name of the town at the center of the map.

The cat is getting balder but I do not have 'Palm to Fugawi'. I went back Program files/Common Files/Fugawi. But then had a choice of Icons/sounds/Lib/Help and Palm. Palm being 243 mb. Put in the CD of maps Southern England 629mb, tried copying to card, only 214 mb were copied, put card into PDA/Fugawi/Map.......nothing! So still not sure if it can be done! :laughing::huh::P

The cat is getting balder but I do not have 'Palm to Fugawi'. I went back Program files/Common Files/Fugawi. But then had a choice of Icons/sounds/Lib/Help and Palm. Palm being 243 mb. Put in the CD of maps Southern England 629mb, tried copying to card, only 214 mb were copied, put card into PDA/Fugawi/Map.......nothing! So still not sure if it can be done! :D:D:D

Ah, hang on. I think we're a little at cross purposes.

You can't just copy the maps from the CD to a PDA. You have to create small map sections in Fugawi on the PC. This is because of OS licence limitations. I'd kind of assumed you'd already got that far, but perhaps not. So let's start at the beginning, with the risk of teaching granny...

On the PC, in Settings|Preferences select your type of PDA (a Palm, I understand). Then, using the selection tool, select an area of map. Then choose Edit|Export selection to PDA. This will create a file containing the selected map section. This is where the Palm and Pocket PC implementations start to diverge, and therefore where my knowledge of how it works on a Palm becomes guesswork :D.

Still on the PC, the exported map section will appear as a file in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Fugawi\PocketPC Export (if a PPC) or C:\Program Files\Common Files\Fugawi\Palm (if a Palm). You can have as many of these exported map sections in these directories as you like, and they don't all need to be on the PDA at any one time. For example, I have the whole of the UK South map exported as sections and stored on the PC. I have as many of them on an SD card as will fit, and just delete/copy them in and out of the SD card as I need them. So the export process only needs to be done once.

Anyway, back on topic. So now we have map sections stored on the PC and want to transfer them to the PDA. There are two ways of doing this. The most obvious way, because it's what Fugawi tells you to do, is to use the Fugawi GUI to copy the map over to the PDA. To a Palm Fugawi only lets you copy to main memory, as I think you've seen. On a PPC Fugawi allows you to choose whether to copy to main memory or the SD card.

The much better way of copying the files to a PDA, though, is to ignore Fugawi's interface and instead just copy the files directly. On an SD card for PPC they need to be copied to \Storage Card\FugawiLib\Maps. Fugawi on the PPC will seamlessly utilise the maps in this location. I assume there's a similar if not identical location on the Palm, and I assume that you can copy files directly to an SD card in a Palm (outside of Fugawi).

Now back to your original question. Because all we're doing here is copying files there's no reason why you can't copy them to an SD card which is in a card reader.

I hope that all makes sense. Not being a Palm user I can't help with the details of it (or even say that it will work), but once you've done the export in Fugawi on the PC then you've just got files which you should be able to manipulate on/with the Palm as you would any other file.

I believe that I understand what you are saying. Yes of course I know how one is meant to transfer map areas onto the Palm PDA and then move to card within the PDA (This is what frustrates) as the Palm only has so much memory. The amount that I obviously copied to the card was those maps that I had previously placed in the PDA library. Hence why 200 odd mb rather than 629mb. The additional problem was though that nothing onthe card would open up on the PDA, as if a file to make the list open up was missing also. So I think I'll just do it the long way. Annoying realy as it's so easy with Mem Map and a PPC. Thanks though for your advice it was appreciated. :D:D:D