Night Caching

mustangrobby

Just wondering about the attraction of night caching. I can see how it could be muggle free, but it can also be dangerous and I would think that people who do see you would be even more suspicious. I have read tons of logs from people who seem to love the night caching. On my 5th find, I went at night to an area that I am very familiar with, was with friends, safe area, and wouldn't you know it the cops came? I immediately explained what we were doing and showed him our stuff, but still, it was a little nerve wracking. I guess public pole dancing at night is suspicious?? Seriously, any opinions?

It's all part of the game.

Urban night-caching can be fraught with all manner of inconveniences and thrills. Check local ordinances about park hours and the like to avoid the nasty trespassing issues.

Caches in the wild are a whole different issue at night and the game can be much more fascinating if you turn off all the extra flashlights and enjoy the nightlife.

Just wondering about the attraction of night caching. I can see how it could be muggle free, but it can also be dangerous and I would think that people who do see you would be even more suspicious. I have read tons of logs from people who seem to love the night caching. On my 5th find, I went at night to an area that I am very familiar with, was with friends, safe area, and wouldn't you know it the cops came? I immediately explained what we were doing and showed him our stuff, but still, it was a little nerve wracking. I guess public pole dancing at night is suspicious?? Seriously, any opinions?

Torry covers it pretty well. We enjoy night caching becuase there are fewer muggles to contend with in urban settings. True, the police can be a factor, but we've never been stopped. Of course, we usually turn off the flashlight and hide if possible when we see headlights. We've had them drive right past us. :(

When caching in "the sticks" at night, it is best to (1) have someone with you, (2) always have a backup light, and (3) know what kind of wildlife is in the area. Mountain lions are not all that uncommon in many areas and perfer to hunt at night--especially at dusk and dawn. That said, I sometimes hike in the mountains at night, alone, while caching, but I am always alert and I often carry--just in case. The only mountain lions I have seen were several years ago and it was in the late afternoon, but it wouldn't surprise me if I had been observed by them at night, and never knew it. To me, the absolute beauty of the night sky on a clear night, and the solitude of the mountains bring a whole new dimension to caching that some people will never experience.

I do alot of night caching in the city at San Diego. It is still hard because we have so many street lights around. If you night caching in the city I would say watch out for the drunk and disorderly and the homeless people. But other than that, going at night brings a whole new dimension to the game that is really fun.

For some reason, two cachers on urban caches don't look too suspicious - to me. And I have a geodog I take on the majority of the urban night grabs. I also night hike and occassionally set up group night hikes - always with or near a full moon overhead. And I always have at least one hiking pole for ground critters and as a backup defense against an attack by a larger critter, and I don't necessarily mean an animal critter.

Edited by Chuy!

I do a good bit of night caching. Mostly because my caching buddy and I both work, so the best time to get together is in the evenings. You've got to pick the proper caches for night caching, it's great for some, not so great for others. For some the fact that it's dark means less muggle traffic. But, as we've found out, at some locations, poking around with flashlights in the dark will attract "unwanted" attention. We also think that there have been a few that we found at night that if we had searched for in the daylight, we might not have found. Mostly relating to a "glint" of light (from the flashlight) off the container. We also did a cache here in Nor-Cal that is a "night only" cache.. you can't find it in the daylight, called "Wait Until Dark" (GCG8QV)!

Driver Carries Cache

(madmike)