Coordinates

Duckfart

I have the Explorist XL and when we are looking for caches it does a really good job of getting me close.

Most of the time it is within 2 to 5 feet radius so I am pleased. :D

I recently hid my first cache and I wanted to make sure I did everything right, so I followed all the directions on setting the coordinates. I must have taken a dozen or so reading and each time it gave me a different reading, so I did the best I could to average out and set the coordinates. :(

I had my cache discovered today and he informed me that he had a 12' distance to the actual cache.

So I checked my self and I was getting around 16' difference. :(

Why is my GPS so much more accurate when I am looking for other peoples cache and it fluctuates so much with my cache. :D

I have to figure it must be me, what am I doing wrong? Is there a way for me to get a more accurate coordinates for the caches I hide. :(

Thank You for any and all help.

I have the Explorist XL and when we are looking for caches it does a really good job of getting me close.

I recently hid my first cache and I wanted to make sure I did everything right, so I followed all the directions on setting the coordinates. I must have taken a dozen or so reading and each time it gave me a different reading, so I did the best I could to average out and set the coordinates. :(

I had my cache discovered today and he informed me that he had a 12' distance to the actual cache.

Why is my GPS so much more accurate when I am looking for other peoples cache and it fluctuates so much with my cache. :D

I have to figure it must be me, what am I doing wrong? Is there a way for me to get a more accurate coordinates for the caches I hide. :(

Twelve feet is pretty good if you ask me! I don't expect the gps to get me directly onto the cache. Relax I think you did everything right. Ray Edited by raybonz

Also the satellites are hardly super-glued in position, the whole cosmos is in a state of flux

12-16 feet is within spec.

Norm

Twelve feet is pretty good if you ask me! I don't expect the gps to get me directly onto the cache. Relax I think you did everything right. Ray

Don't forget that environmetal factors can also make a huge differance. Cloud cover, tree canopy, rain, snow all affect the readings as do solar flares according to some. 16 feet is very acceptable and maybe the other guys unit is off.

Edited by hayndog