Sock puppets

Mr'D

I had one that I would use to log Benchmarks. (I don't know why, for some reason it made sense back then)

I finally just turned it over to my 4 year to log caches. (Back when we could change usernames).

I haven't gotten around to re-logging those so he's the only kid I know with 25 benchmark finds.

Of course since I wasn't hiding my identity, I don’t know if it qualifies as a sock puppet account.

I have one which i have never used (and don't intend to). It dates from when i was first trying to register on the site and the e-mail hadn't arrived after 24hours or something so I had another try at registering with a different name and, just like buses, the emails for both names arrived at the same time.

I have one which I use for the GeoToad utility which requires your user account and password to access geocaching.com. At the time I didn't want to use my real account as I did not know much about or trust the program. I realise I may be doing the author an injustice but you can't be too careful.

From the forum guidelines

Sock Puppet accounts will not be allowed. A sock puppet is an account made on an internet message board by a person who already has an account for the purpose of posting anonymously. Use your own account for posting personal opinions. Posts from known sock puppet accounts will be deleted and both the puppet and actual account may be banned from using the services of Groundspeak.

Never felt the need for one. It's a bit sad if you are too afraid to speak your mind without hiding your identity.

I can see there are occasionally other reasons for one outside of the forums though.

Well,

there is The Monk of Course - for use at Holy Grail type caches and events.

Blunders Pugh - he is a bit political and under his old name managed to get banned from the forums :ph34r:

maybe one or two others for setting caches of an unusual nature.

Not really sock puppets as most peeps know they are erm, erm, me!

Cheers

The Monk

Blunders

Mongoose :ph34r:

I'm in three minds about replying to this :huh:

I do have a Sock Puppet account purely for logging armchair caches and the like which I don't want to mess up my "proper" cache records.

I did once use it to criticize a newbie's lack of punctuation etc and was flamed and banned from the forum - quite rightly as I did it very ham fistedly in a bad mood. :blink:

I think it all ended up happily with my apology being accepted by the newbie who also accepted the point I had made and with a good grace. :unsure:

A rather flippant topic title is the only relevance I can see to the topic opener! :blink:

Are we talking "Sock puppets" or "alternative caching identity"?

I have no "Sock puppets" but three "alternative caching identities" and they're all actively cached! It's all a big secret and I'm not telling anyone I've got them! www.Pyoung1s.co.uk

As for the reasons... over a beer maybe! :unsure:

Are we talking "Sock puppets" or "alternative caching identity"?
Are we talking Forum or Caching "sock puppets" or either?

I suppose my original enquiry related to alternative caching identities rather than 'covert' identities used to flame people in the forums. As already been stated in this thread this is against the rules, and if using an identity for this purpose one risks being banned.

I got another dodgy one

Huh... who said that???? :laughing::huh::huh:

If you are setting a devious, posh cache, with a storyline, then it can be a good idea. I know a few cachers who have done that, and I might do it myself some time :laughing:

For instance if you did a nature themed 5/5 you could set it as David Bellamy.... or if you did a espionage based one, you could set it as James Bond... :huh:

If you are setting a devious, posh cache, with a storyline, then it can be a good idea. I know a few cachers who have done that, and I might do it myself some time :laughing:

For instance if you did a nature themed 5/5 you could set it as David Bellamy.... or if you did a espionage based one, you could set it as James Bond... :huh:

That is a fair comment, but you could just change the placers name to suit the cache, as I have done with DaVinci. Placed by Robert Langdon, but still accountable to my account.

I've got 5 accounts with this one being the main account. At the start I used one of the other accounts for caches I found when not with the family but I merged the finds some time ago. The 4 non-Pieman accounts are now used for a bit of fun relating to some of my caches, although it can get confusing logging in and out of different identities at times!