Is there already a planning committee

UOTrackers

I would love to do one here in the Metroplex. We have a lot of new coin people who would enjoy it!

I told Mustangjoni I would work on it with her and suddenly I am the queen bee and she is the worker! <_< How did that happen? :ph34r: Dang that woman is good! <_<

Someday you folks will realize that you are all my puppets! LOL

Ok sounds like people are interested in doing this.

It's time for people to step up and 'volunteer' to host an event in their area. There will not be a big amount of planning, simply picking a suitable restaurant or park to hold an event. I was thinking about the middle of September. Possibly the weekend of the 15th-16th

If you would like to help out and host for an area email me or post here, that way we won't have two within 10 miles of each other etc. I can also give people a list of things ya gotta do to set up an event and a schedule.

What do people think about opening the coin up for design, with people voting for the winner (much like the last coinfest logo?) --- I have already received 5 invitations to design the coin so to be fair I would want to open it up. Any ideas?

Ok sounds like people are interested in doing this.

It's time for people to step up and 'volunteer' to host an event in their area. There will not be a big amount of planning, simply picking a suitable restaurant or park to hold an event. I was thinking about the middle of September. Possibly the weekend of the 15th-16th

If you would like to help out and host for an area email me or post here, that way we won't have two within 10 miles of each other etc. I can also give people a list of things ya gotta do to set up an event and a schedule.

What do people think about opening the coin up for design, with people voting for the winner (much like the last coinfest logo?) --- I have already received 5 invitations to design the coin so to be fair I would want to open it up. Any ideas?

I will volunteer! The 15th and 16th is kid weekend (first and third weekends always are), so i may be doing it without the help of the hubby, unless we could do it the 2nd weekend (8th and 9th).

Oak Mountain is probably a good park to host it at. It is just south of Birmingham, just off of I-65.

I think a 'micro' coin event would work here in Honolulu. Any visitors on the island at the time would naturally be welcome too.

A small event would probably be the better term since Micro Events are already in play. They are one minute events that were started right here in Pittsburgh by our very own D@nim@l. Since that first event, they have held them worldwide. always consisting of one minute.

That being said, us folks in Pittsburgh would hold a small coin event.

I think a 'micro' coin event would work here in Honolulu. Any visitors on the island at the time would naturally be welcome too.

A small event would probably be the better term since Micro Events are already in play. They are one minute events that were started right here in Pittsburgh by our very own D@nim@l. Since that first event, they have held them worldwide. always consisting of one minute.

Oh! Didn't know there really was such a thing as a "Micro Event." If we go to the trouble of planning an event we like it to last longer than one minute. :P

That said we can organize a small event in Honolulu.

Pen me down for the Puget Sound area (roughly Seattle) of Washington (state)... It'd be my first hosted event, too. :}

(there are plenty of others in the area that have hosted events, so no doubt I can get pointers if I need them)

I like the idea of voting for a design of the coin... once we get a good idea on the number of cities participating, I could drop me own into the hat.

LOL! kinda like a flash-mob? I tried to get a geo-flash mob event approved in 2004 and it got denied since the approver thought we would not really disperse and all go caching instead. imagine that! :P

Micro Coin event then? Or just Local coin event.

I'd be willing to help put something together to get Montana on the map.

Billings, MT anyone?

As much as I'd love to see something in Montana, I honestly think flights are too expensive to and fro for many people, of course that is my opinion. On the other side of the coin (haha), I vote for Missoula during a Griz game, in the tailgating section. We can serve microbrews, Rocky Mountain oysters, with Mount Sentinel and Mount Jumbo as our backdrop and use Griz Vision for a coin slide show. Ok, back to reality now :P

Ill be posting on the GONIL forums about hosting in our area (Northern IL)

And, if theres an art contest - just be sure and give the designers some time to polish up some ideas!

How about Satellite Geocoin Event or some other word that represents the fact that there are multiple simultaneous geocoin events at the same time??

I will be coordinating the geocoin event for the Pittsburgh area with the help of other TRIGO members. I had been planning a local geocoin event but will move the date to this joint geocoin event date. :P

....Anthus (Mrs)

P.S. Now my geocoin design juices are flowing -- a coin with a satellite pointing down on the globe with stars ammo cans at each of the 25 geocoin locations.....Must got to work and stop thinking about geocoins......oh that's so hard to do!

How about Satellite Geocoin Event or some other word that represents the fact that there are multiple simultaneous geocoin events at the same time??

I will be coordinating the geocoin event for the Pittsburgh area with the help of other TRIGO members. I had been planning a local geocoin event but will move the date to this joint geocoin event date. :P

....Anthus (Mrs)

P.S. Now my geocoin design juices are flowing -- a coin with a satellite pointing down on the globe with stars ammo cans at each of the 25 geocoin locations.....Must got to work and stop thinking about geocoins......oh that's so hard to do!

Stacy, you know that you can count on us to help!

I'd be willing to help put something together to get Montana on the map.

Billings, MT anyone?

As much as I'd love to see something in Montana, I honestly think flights are too expensive to and fro for many people, of course that is my opinion. On the other side of the coin (haha), I vote for Missoula during a Griz game, in the tailgating section. We can serve microbrews, Rocky Mountain oysters, with Mount Sentinel and Mount Jumbo as our backdrop and use Griz Vision for a coin slide show. Ok, back to reality now :laughing:

Road trip!

That was a concern of mine as well, as far as airfare is concerned. But there are options here. Cachers could fly into Denver for much less than here, and make a road trip from there to Billings and cache along the way. It's about an 8-hour drive from there.

I will be coordinating the geocoin event for the Pittsburgh area with the help of other TRIGO members. I had been planning a local geocoin event but will move the date to this joint geocoin event date. :laughing:

....Anthus (Mrs)

Stacy, you know that you can count on us to help!

Excellent! Thanks!

How about to include it all call them....

Micro Geocoin Multi Satellite Events

:laughing: :laughing:

Mulit Organized Regional Tactical Geosynced Ammocan Geocoin Event Satelittes

M.O.R.T.G.A.G.E.S. ~ nevermind bad omen!

That was a concern of mine as well, as far as airfare is concerned. But there are options here. Cachers could fly into Denver for much less than here, and make a road trip from there to Billings and cache along the way. It's about an 8-hour drive from there.

Why would people need to fly? If there are 25 of these events I am sure there would be at least one within driving range of 90% of the coin population.

How about to include it all call them....

Micro Geocoin Multi Satellite Events

:laughing: :laughing:

Mulit Organized Regional Tactical Geosynced Ammocan Geocoin Event Satelittes

M.O.R.T.G.A.G.E.S. ~ nevermind bad omen!

Why would people need to fly? If there are 25 of these events I am sure there would be at least one within driving range of 90% of the coin population.

In some states out west, it is easier to fly in instead of drive. A 5 hour drive can be only a 25 minute flight.

how about...

Geographic Events Of Caching Obsessed and Infatuated Numismatists - G.E.O.C.O.I.N.

On another note, if there are 25 coordinated events with a large attendance per event, would that give Groundspeak an opportunity to create a "Multi-Event" icon?

Geographic Events Of Caching Obsessed and Infatuated Numismatists - G.E.O.C.O.I.N.

If we had to choose an acronym, that'd be my choice.

On another note, if there are 25 coordinated events with a large attendance per event, would that give Groundspeak an opportunity to create a "Multi-Event" icon?

That'd be sweet... doubt it'll happen, tho.

If we had to choose an acronym, that'd be my choice.

That'd be sweet... doubt it'll happen, tho.

Would they have to be held on the same day or what? Because I'm sure each and every one of those events would attract a large attendance. How many constitutes a "large"?

I think they should all be held at the same time. Maybe get a waiver for a mega event based on the sheer number of people attending. Someone called it a Multi-Event and I thought that was the perfect term.

I am not sure if you all know this, but, Mustangjoni was the instigater and promoter of the mega event Icon. So, is it nice to have her on board.......Get to work Joni, we want another icon!

Yes, they would all be on the same day. How does September 30th sound?

What happened to Sept 16? Or did you forget what you posted? lol :ph34r:

There was some disagreement about whether it should be on the 16th, I think.

Nah, just spoke to him, and avroair already has prior plans for that weekend.

Edited by AtlantaGal

Yes, they would all be on the same day. How does September 30th sound?

What happened to Sept 16? Or did you forget what you posted? lol :ph34r:

There was some disagreement about whether it should be on the 16th, I think.

Nah, just spoke to him, and avroair already has prior plans for that weekend.

Yup, i got plans. So we are looking at September 30th.

I have not been on this fourm for a long time. When is it and where is it?

This thread as strayed from the original discussion about next years geocoinfest to a new event for September. The idea is to have several smaller local events coordinated into what is tentatively being called a Multi-Event. Folks from 25 or so separate locations are planning geocoin themed events to all fall on the same day in September.

Perhaps a new thread title or starting a new thread for the Multi-Event discussion is needed?

A lot of people have thrown in their two pennies on the issue, so i will too.

If you want to maximize attendance, put it in the Midwest somewhere...Minnesota is good...Chicago is good...even St. Louis or K.C.

Having it on one of the coasts is alright, but if you want to attract more people you want the event to be centralized.

When I have some time tomorrow I will work out a date and cities that have volunteered. :(

Its 6 days later, did you come up with something?

LOL! no not yet, i haven't had much time. will look at it now!

Not to be a spoil sport but would it be possible to split these two topics so it's easier to see what is what? I love this new angle of multiple events happening simultaneously, even if I can't host one myself. I'd just love to be able to see what's going on in each direction separately.

Ok here is a list so far:

New Jersey --- Avroair

Illinois --- CinemaBoxers

Hawaii --- Silly RR

California --- Marky

Alabama --- Tasia

Pennslyvania --- Anthus

Mississippi --- Prntr1

Georgia --- Parents of SAM

Arizona --- Nero

Texas --- MustangJoni (mamacache)

Tsunrisebay --- Montana

Snowwolf75 --- Washington

That's 10 --- no international ones yet and probably something in a couple of the midwest states and mountain states. That's a quick start list.

Also, kicking around the start of October for the event since I recieved a flood of emails saying end of September wasn't good. First weekend in October.

Coins --- I was thinking of 3 micro coins --- a gold, a silver and a copper as a three pack (probably sell em for $12 for the three). Local event organizers could run the events how they see fit.

Any others ready to step up to the plate? :(B)

Not to be a spoil sport but would it be possible to split these two topics so it's easier to see what is what? I love this new angle of multiple events happening simultaneously, even if I can't host one myself. I'd just love to be able to see what's going on in each direction separately.

Yes, good thought UOT.. we'd also like to stay on top of the location and date for Geocoinfest 2008 or the location ideas that are still being kicked around. Last I read Calgary was a strong contender! How are those plans all coming along? This time we'd like to book our time so that we can attend, but if it's left too late, we may miss it again!

For the multi-micro coin events, we'd offer to host one in BC but the reality is that we live on an island and that could be prohibitive to the mainlanders who may want to attend. If BC doesn't have a multi-micro coin event, we'll most likely attend one in WA.