Is there already a planning committee

UOTrackers

Well - I certainly know that we would like to offer a "package" for consideration to the selection committee.

The world is full of wonderful places - I've had the chance to visit some nice places in my time. The reason I would like to put together a Calgary package is that I think the area would appeal to a wide variety of cachers. It's really very outdoor orientated, yet metro and urban at the same time.

Plus - it's fun to see a new place and still feel safe and welcome at the same time. Calgary is actually the most "American" city in Canada. I once heard we have about 60,000 US citizens living/working here. (oil industry is big here). I can't confirm that though.

The biggest appeal I think is that you can really feel like you are in the middle of the wilderness - when you are in the middle of the city. Alternatively - you can get into some of the most remote wilderness going.

If anyone is interested, some places to google to get an idea would be:

Calgary Parks

Waterton Lake Park (borders the US Glacier National Park)

Banff

Drumheller

Lake Louise

Kananaskis

To give you an idea - Calgary has about a million people in it. You can actually go fly fishing in the river that runs through downtown and the water and fish are healthy. That may not seem like much - but it isn't as common as you may think in a city of a million.

Anyhow - like I stated. It would propably be better if some ground rules were given out and then a more structured proposal could be offered.

Needless to say though - if anyone is travelling this way personally or would like more info - just let me know!

What Lemon Fresh Dog said and....

Having the second GeocoinFest in Canada would really set the stage for this event to become the premiere international geocaching event, perhaps Europe or even Australia would be possible future locations?

The Calgary Area Cachers were early adopters of geocoins, many collections around the world contain a CAC geocoin.

And finally, LFD and I wouldn't have to worry about passports. :P

Calgary has great weather in late April and early May.

Well - I certainly know that we would like to offer a "package" for consideration to the selection committee.

The world is full of wonderful places - I've had the chance to visit some nice places in my time. The reason I would like to put together a Calgary package is that I think the area would appeal to a wide variety of cachers. It's really very outdoor orientated, yet metro and urban at the same time.

Plus - it's fun to see a new place and still feel safe and welcome at the same time. Calgary is actually the most "American" city in Canada. I once heard we have about 60,000 US citizens living/working here. (oil industry is big here). I can't confirm that though.

The biggest appeal I think is that you can really feel like you are in the middle of the wilderness - when you are in the middle of the city. Alternatively - you can get into some of the most remote wilderness going.

If anyone is interested, some places to google to get an idea would be:

Calgary Parks

Waterton Lake Park (borders the US Glacier National Park)

Banff

Drumheller

Lake Louise

Kananaskis

To give you an idea - Calgary has about a million people in it. You can actually go fly fishing in the river that runs through downtown and the water and fish are healthy. That may not seem like much - but it isn't as common as you may think in a city of a million.

Anyhow - like I stated. It would propably be better if some ground rules were given out and then a more structured proposal could be offered.

Needless to say though - if anyone is travelling this way personally or would like more info - just let me know!

Minus my Tahiti suggestion (which no one seemed to want...lol) I really like the Alberta suggestion, plus I can drive there instead of fly and any flight out of Montana is expensive. I know, no one gives a rip what I think :P

Waterton Lake Park and Banff are spectacular!

I'm just wondering who is the ultimate decision maker in all this?

Can someone please post what major events are taking place this next year & about when? I know in early august of this year is the Idaho Mega Event. I'm not sure if they will be doing another one next year, I'm guessing so. Personally, if I move to Spokane I will be too busy with graduate school to attend any time after sept 26th. Late August sounds like a sure bet for me, however when is everyone's kids supposed to start school?

Also I just checked and Albert takes the same amount of time for me to get to as Temecula. Minnesota takes quite a bit longer. However, I'm not opposed to either place. From someone who has never been out of this country, Canada has a very big appeal to me. Plus it's beauty is unsurpassed.

I'm reasonably sure this will indeed be a Fall event

Well March is a little cold! :P

The proximity to other summer Mega Events in the United States seems to be a primary consideration and I am not sure why? The attendees at the GeocoinFest were there for geocoins. Many geocachers came from all over California for the TV Mega Event but they didn't show up at the GeocoinFest, I saw many comments from those who said that geocoins weren't their thing.

The GeocoinFest seems to me like it is more than just another mega event, it attracts geocoin enthusiasts specifically rather than geocachers generally.

Placing the GeocoinFest right beside the Temecula Valley Event seemed like a good plan, in fact attendees to the GeocoinFest that showed up at the TV Event probably helped the event reach Mega status.

I still like the spring but I do realize it is Mark's event and that event sponsors make it possible. If a vote was held I would still be voting for a late winter/early spring event like the first GeocoinFest. Placing a geocoin event at the tail end of the winter seems more advantageous than adding it on to the end of the already busy summer months. I really liked the fact that 2007 started with a big geocoin celebration.

Mega event caches in the US and Canada so far.

18 Feb 07 Temecula Valley Geocaching Event III - California

23 Mar 07 2007 MOGA - Missouri

26 May 07 GeoWoodstock 5 - North Carolina

20 July 07 MWGB --MEGA - thanks The Moop Along

03 Aug 07 Rocky Mountain Rendevouz (mega event) - Idaho - thanks tsunrisebey

Edited by merkman

I just ran a quick pocket query for mega event caches in US and Canada and here is what came up. Well it is a start.

18 Feb 07 Temecula Valley Geocaching Event III

26 May 07 GeoWoodstock 5

The Rocky Mountain Rendevouz (mega event)is being held in Idaho is the weekend of August 3/4.

Well March is a little cold! :P

The proximity to other summer Mega Events in the United States seems to be a primary consideration and I am not sure why? The attendees at the GeocoinFest were there for geocoins. Many geocachers came from all over California for the TV Mega Event but they didn't show up at the GeocoinFest, I saw many comments from those who said that geocoins weren't their thing.

The GeocoinFest seems to me like it is more than just another mega event, it attracts geocoin enthusiasts specifically rather than geocachers generally.

Placing the GeocoinFest right beside the Temecula Valley Event seemed like a good plan, in fact attendees to the GeocoinFest that showed up at the TV Event probably helped the event reach Mega status.

I still like the spring but I do realize it is Mark's event and that event sponsors make it possible. If a vote was held I would still be voting for a late winter/early spring event like the first GeocoinFest. Placing a geocoin event at the tail end of the winter seems more advantageous than adding it on to the end of the already busy summer months. I really liked the fact that 2007 started with a big geocoin celebration.

I am in total agreement! :laughing: With this in mind, we can narrow down optimal locations to the West:

• Seattle, WA or Victoria, BC

• Portland, OR

• San Francisco Bay Area, North CA :laughing:

• Sacramento Area, CA

• Monterey - Santa Barbara, CA

• Los Angeles - San Diego Area, South CA

• Reno, NV

• Las Vegas, NV

• Phoenix - Tuscon, AZ

Not to be totally Western biased, there is also Florida to consider!

The proximity to other summer Mega Events in the United States seems to be a primary consideration and I am not sure why?

Because of major sponsors who have prior committments to other events during the late spring & summer months, that's why. And also because this was originally to be a Fall event in the first place :)

• Seattle, WA or Victoria, BC

• Portland, OR

• San Francisco Bay Area, North CA :)

• Sacramento Area, CA

• Monterey - Santa Barbara, CA

• Los Angeles - San Diego Area, South CA

• Reno, NV

• Las Vegas, NV

• Phoenix - Tuscon, AZ

No one from any of these areas has approached Avroair as a potential host location with the requested informal proposal or 3 local individuals/volunteers. Gotta have the horse before you can pull the cart :huh:

late spring & summer months...this was originally to be a Fall event

I understand the original plan was a Fall event but that didn't work out so even if it was unintended it has been kicked off as a late winter/early spring event which wouldn't necessarily conflict with a late spring /early summer commitment on the part of a sponsoring vendor. The proximity to a nearby Mega event seemed to be a plus rather than a minus.

I suspect that informal proposals might run aground on specifics just like this as they crop up. If the event has a solid time frame then that should be laid out, I would not want to join a proposal group only to drop out if the proposal runs aground on some other window which has not yet been clarified.

Keeping the event in a specific time frame is just one such issue, there are others that should be addressed. Is the GeocoinFest planning group interested in making this an international event or will proposals from other countries run into objections like distance from the US or passports or the hosting language? I mentioned the language because the Netherlands Multi Country Mega Event did a little scramble to get things laid out in English once they realized there was international interest. Is this event specifically to showcase vendor wares or is it intended to appeal to geocoin enthusiasts, will vendor considerations form the backbone of all planning? Perhaps we could get a framework within which we could make the informal proposals as it does seem to exist to some extent already? I am not trying to be difficult so much as to clarify the requirements so that volunteers might know what they can expect if they pitch a city or country as the case may be. GeocoinFest would seem to be a natural fit alongside established events, in fact sponsoring vendors might actually find it easier if it was shoehorned in beside an event to which they are already committed.

There will probably be a pitch from Calgary regardless of when it is held, that is my guess. :)

It will be interesting to see how this event evolves...

On the one hand, we had so much postive feedback, and there were so many folks that couldn't make it this year, I'm sure it will be very well attended the next time around.

I was pretty surprised how little cross-over we had between CoinFest, and the Mega event the next day. They did help each other...but not as much as I had anticipated. Interestingly, when we started planning, there were some questions raised about us being able to have 2 separate events on the same weekend. I called Groundspeak to get approval, and was told that as long as both events could stand on their own, they can be listed separately. Now, I see that that condition is actually listed in the new guidelines they recently posted.

What is interesting to me is this...I don't think I would ever do it that way again...If I ever take on that large of a project again, it will be a multiple day event, rather than two separate events. I believe that would have made things easier for me on this end.

What is really funny is this...now that our Temecula event hit mega...we can list next years event as mega too...but I'm not sure we really want to! :)

Is this event specifically to showcase vendor wares or is it intended to appeal to geocoin enthusiasts, will vendor considerations form the backbone of all planning? Perhaps we could get a framework within which we could make the informal proposals as it does seem to exist to some extent already

I had an idea in my head when I proposed a mega coin event. Certainly when the event was conceived we had no idea what to expect and how to plan for it. The process was derailed for various reasons but then realigned. The idea of vendor sponsorship came from C4, I believe he was contacted and offered some sponsorship, as more needs came in we filled those with vendors willing to take up the challenge (example: geocoinstore did the geopoker and hogwildstuff did the coinquest game).

We learnt alot, some the hard way and I think future Fests will benefit from our groundwork. To answer your question, the first Fest cost about $6k to put on and I am not sure where the money would have come from without sponsorships. In short the Fest is indeed intended to appeal to geocoin enthusiasts (not a sideshow lumped onto a larger event) and vendors did form the backbone behind the planning. We gave them levels of participating sponsorships. That being said there might be a better way to handle things.

Framework (or at least what worked for us!) for a pitch, this is for the event area location, I can provide some of the specifics for the actual hall\room etc.

(1) the event location should be near a city but not necessarily in the center of it (it's cheaper in the outskirts)

(2) ample hotels, motels and campsites within a reasonable distance

(3) the host city should to appeal as a destination (with area attractions what else can people do in the area if they make a vacation out of it?)

(4) a person on the local end needs to step up and be a point person (with 2-3 others helping them) --- local geo-org can volunteer, but since most cachers are not coin enthusiasts it tends to drift from the coin focus (better to work along side them)

(5) there needs to be at least one regional airport close by for attendees who fly in

(6) some coin people still cache, so maybe an idea of the caches in the area

Timeframe

(1) I personally feel a fall event would be best since it offers more suitable places due to weather.

(2) The event took us 7 months to plan and that was rushed, a 9-10 month planning period would be more suitable and would give people longer to make their own travel plans.

(3) In 3 months we could have a good idea of who is interested in hosting

How to Pitch

(1) discussion: talk to a couple of local coin or planning cachers

(2) draft a laundry list: decide what cool, awesome benefits your pitch will include

(3) paint a picture: supply information on the area you are proposing, what makes it neat

(4) pitch it:in the forums then let the public review it

(5) Go for it!

That's about it, Cornerstone4 and AtlantaGal might be able to add to this. Feel free to ask any questions, I'd be happy to answer them. I am also open to suggestions.

Hope this doesn't confuse more. :)

No one from any of these areas has approached Avroair as a potential host location with the requested informal proposal or 3 local individuals/volunteers. Gotta have the horse before you can pull the cart :)

Is it possible to list the potential host locations that have submitted their informal proposal or 3 local individuals/volunteers?

I would like a little more clarification as to who is in the running.

Any idea of when the location or time frame will go to a vote?

No one from any of these areas has approached Avroair as a potential host location with the requested informal proposal or 3 local individuals/volunteers. Gotta have the horse before you can pull the cart :anibad:

Is it possible to list the potential host locations that have submitted their informal proposal or 3 local individuals/volunteers?

I would like a little more clarification as to who is in the running.

Any idea of when the location or time frame will go to a vote?

Chicago area

Minniapolis area

Birmingham area

Calgary (?)

When I spoke with Avroair, he was thinking of putting the final list of potential cities to a poll sometime during the summer at the soonest.

I think you can count on Calgary to submit a proposal. At this point, it looks as if Wavevector and I are interested in forming a working group - so we will see if there is a third person we can recruit.

My background includes 10 years as a hotel manager for a company called Canadian Pacific (now Fairmount) - so I worked in Banff, Whistler, Victoria, and Calgary in the hospitality industry. I think that I would be able to pull this into a proposal that is very "vacation" and "attraction" orientated. After all - Avro's post really put things into perspective - it has to be worth the time/expense/travel to convince significant others and kids to come along! :anibad:

For structureed attractions - I think no one can beat California, New York, or Florida - however, I think that for the outdoors - both Calgary and Vancouver Island in Canada are pretty good destinations. In fact, having worked very extensively with visitors to these areas - they are world-class destinations.

Sponsorship is always a crtitical factor. While the event seems to have been a huge success for cachers and families - what about the sponsors? Did they percive this as a high-value use of their limited marketing budgets? If so, then we are in a good position to approach them for contunued support in the next event.

Finally, do we have an idea of the total number of attendees at the event? How many people did it bring to the area? The reason I ask is that the City of Calgary Tourism Department will dedicate a part-time, or even a full-time resource to help us plan the event depending on what numbers we are looking at. It is in their best interest to promote tourism in the area.

That being said - a definitive answer on the dates is extremely important for us to know. It can be broad, but late September to mid-April is a little.....colder. To be honest, I live here. Planning an event is not only a way to get a cool event close-by, but also a way to show off the area for future visits. That's hard to do if it's cold and snowy (which is also nice, but maybe more of an acquired taste :D )

On each of the points in Avro's post - Calgary has some clear, strong, compelling offers. We really are a city built amongst nature. We have a Provincial Park IN the city. Not near it - right inside it. Which is one of about 4 HUGE parks, amongst dozens of smaller ones.

Caches? We have many, many good caches in the area. Downtown is, as in most places, pretty much the realm of the Micro-naughts. (okay - personal bias there - not a huge micro fan). However, there is an extensive network of bike paths with many traditional caches (you can also walk on these paths.)

Okay - I'll save the rest for the proposal.

Numbers of attendees would help in order to get some idea of the magnitude of the event.

I would love to see Canada. We spent the week in San Diego & loved it! We would like to be able to do that again! Time of year isn't as critical to us. The weather in the area at the time of the event is more critical! Thanks to Avroair, AtlantaGal & Cornerstone4 for making the GeocoinFest 2007 such a great start to what I hope will be an annual event. We did not get a chance to meet many of the people at the coinfest. There was so much going on & so many people to meet. When we went the next day to the event, we spent it trying to get to know coin people better.

Thanks Mark, that is much appreciated.

After my initial post it dawned on me that the announcement thread specifically said a "National" coin event and Calgary doesn't really factor into a "National" scenario, it is more of an "International" destination. I am really interested in your thoughts on that aspect of the GeocoinFest planning, do you want to see it continue as a national event or do you see it becoming more of an international event? Will hosting the event in another country complicate things for event sponsors, are they OK with that idea?

Geocoins really bind us all together, perhaps even more than geocaches. Geocoins that I have given away have reached countries and cachers all over the world and geocachers find geocoins from everywhere on the planet. I know GeocoinFest 2007 was a "National" event but attendees like whitebear, nicolo and myself were actually "international geocoin enthusiasts". I wouldn't have driven down just for the Temecula Valley Event, I was there for the geocoins. :anibad: (No offence intended Dave, your TV Mega Event was icing on the cake but I did come for the cake!)

I agree with Lemon Fresh Dog, Calgary is much better as a fall or late summer destination, my kids wear down parkas for most Halloween outings and I have been buried under several feet of snow even in May, that said Calgary has everything required to be an excellent host city. The 2007 Calgary Area Cachers geocoin was the third geocoin produced by the local organization. Geocoin enthusiasts are certainly familiar with our city and some of our local geocoin collectors are very well known names in the geocoin world. Now we just have to rope a few of them onto the local volunteer group and get a proposal prepared. :D

Actually - Calgary has FOUR coin series. It's just that the 1st and second were metal changes.

Series I - Calgary 2005 three metals.

Series II - just like the first in an antique silver, but released much later

Series III - Lime Green Token w/Calgary Tower

Series IV - the Cowboy/Park coin

Of course, we have nothing on MIGO!!! haha! They have, 412 different coins (okay, I exagerate)

When/If we get a bit of direction - expect us to bid *unless of course if the decision to go US-only is made

Were discussing this in some AZ forums, and considering throwing in a pitch for Arizona!!

so far we have some good things I think.

Regional Airport (Sky Harbor International Airport)

Hotels and even Resort Spas

Golf

Skiing also possible if Snowbowl is open.

if we do it in March theres Spring Training, and good weather!

Lots of attractions, 2 Zoo's Phoenix Zoo and Wildlife World Zoo, Museums, Lots of beautiful Arizona to see, The Grand Canyon is a short drive, as well as the Beautiful red rocks of Sedona, and many other spots in this wonderful state.

and of course lots of caches, from urban micros to mountain hikes.

Like i Said were discussing it. :laughing:

Edited by Nero

Were discussing this in some AZ forums, and considering throwing in a pitch for Arizona!!

Golf

Lots of attractions, 2 Zoo's Phoenix Zoo and Wildlife World Zoo, Museums, Lots of beautiful Arizona to see, The Grand Canyon is a short drive, as well as the Beautiful red rocks of Sedona, and many other spots in this wonderful state.

Like i Said were discussing it. :laughing:

Arizona sounds good to me!

Golf

Like i Said were discussing it. :ph34r:

I am not sure which part of Arizona you are referring to but my husband would love a trip to Arizona to golf. He can golf and I can cache and attend the event. Perfect combination. I vote for Arizona. :laughing:

What?! There's actually an active board in Arizona :laughing: ? ArizonaGeoCaching.com seems kind of dead to me.

azgeocaching.com is pretty quiet these days too. :ph34r: I'm sure if you post the right subject you can get a lively conversation going there though.

This has been quiet for a while here, without going through the whole thread. Is there a formal time frame/deadline for Proposals to be submitted?

Also, would there be issues with some of the people hosting/helping organize this event being vendors?

Edited by Nero

This has been quiet for a while here, without going through the whole thread. Is there a formal time frame/deadline for Proposals to be submitted?

Also, would there be issues with some of the people hosting/helping organize this event being vendors?

No formal timeframe

I would refrain from having vendor organizers it might put you in a conflict of interest situation

For September 2007, I was kicking around an idea of doing 25 simultaneous locally based Micro Coinfests (get it!) around North America and the world. These would just be coin events all tied in together much like the Kiss Me I'm Irish events were.

What do people think about that? Low-key and local? Then big and international for 2008.

Of course the events would share a micro event coin!

No formal timeframe

I would refrain from having vendor organizers it might put you in a conflict of interest situation

For September 2007, I was kicking around an idea of doing 25 simultaneous locally based Micro Coinfests (get it!) around North America and the world. These would just be coin events all tied in together much like the Kiss Me I'm Irish events were.

What do people think about that? Low-key and local? Then big and international for 2008.

I love the idea :blink:

No formal timeframe

I love the idea :o

This sounds kinda cool! Let's do it :blink:

No formal timeframe

I'd be glad to help organize the Bay Area one. :blink:

The Puget Sound area (of Washington) had had a pre-GCF event this year... but maybe another one wouldn't hurt. Were you thinking of making the coin trackable/icon'd?

The Puget Sound area (of Washington) had had a pre-GCF event this year... but maybe another one wouldn't hurt. Were you thinking of making the coin trackable/icon'd?

Perhaps something like the Project A.P.E. coin that shows the location of events participating on a map. There could be a large coin for all the events, and a micro coin that is magnetized and custom for each local event.

world.jpg

(a really quick sketch.)

Edited by Jake - Team A.I.

Perhaps something like the Project A.P.E. coin that shows the location of events participating on a map. There could be a large coin for all the events, and a micro coin that is magnetized and custom for each local event.

world.jpg

(a really quick sketch.)

lol! i was actually thinking of keeping it simple and have the same micro coin at every event. if you attend you can get 1 (and only 1) other than that nothing. I guess a different metal could go on general sales. Hadn't given it too much thought yet.

No formal timeframe

I like this idea!