Is there already a planning committee

UOTrackers

I was just curious if there is already a planning committee or at least some people who are interested in planning the event for next year? I would be very interested in helping to plan an event on the East coast if that is a possibility. The beaches are lovely this time of year!

I'm interested in helping out, as I would like to see it on the east coast for next year!!

I think it would be wise to get past the first one before even putting together a committee for next year.

You're going to want to talk to this year's organizers, sponsors, attendees, etc. to figure out what went well, what didn't, what changes they would all like to see, etc.

Doing this first will allow you to gauge the effort involved - and then you'll have a better idea of how to attack next year. You may find that there were either too many or too few people involved this year and that alone can help decide who and how many people should be involved next year.

Food for thought.

I was just curious if there is already a planning committee or at least some people who are interested in planning the event for next year? I would be very interested in helping to plan an event on the East coast if that is a possibility. The beaches are lovely this time of year!

That would be great to have it on the East Coast...

Anyway I can help.. just let me know

I would LOVE to see this event held on the East coast next year... :P:P:P

That would be great to have it on the East Coast...

Anyway I can help.. just let me know

.....and Geowoodstock VI on the West?

Edited by Damenace

First: Let The first one happen!

Second:

East Coasters already have Geowoodstock and Midwesterners have Midwest Geobash.

let us west coasters enjoy our event.

HOORAH!!! Thank you Nero!!

First: I'm all for the first one happening! I wish I could come.

Second: GW5 is the first one I will go to, but I'm all for it being on the west coast too.

Please don't make this an east -vs- the west thing, I was just simply saying that I would be interested in helping should the event move to this side of the country.

I think we need to get through the first one first, but it makes some sense to be thinking about next year going it to this years. Since the GW's all seem to be away from the west coast I hope Coinfest well stay west.

I know there are some who think that Las Vegas remains a great place to have this event and are hoping that will happen next year.

This weekend will say a lot about future events!

Even if we picked a committee already, who's to say there will be vendors willing to sponsor next years event? If they don't have a good experience with this year's event, they may not be willing to fork over the moola! :P

However, if it goes as well as we are hoping...they could be standing in line begging the next committee to take their money! :P

After this weekend, everyone will know how feasible it will be to have a follow-up next year.

Just my 2 geocoins worth...

We're letting the first one happen first, but we've already had a few brief chats about handing it off for 2008. One thing most of us agree on is that the location must be an interesting area with other things to do nearby. In other words, be a location where people would want to take a vacation to.

This is not a specific coast event. It is to move all over the country and possibly even internationally at some point (if it has continued success and vendors who want to participate).

The key component for the location is having a few individuals that live in close proximity to the event location. Before you can decide on where the next one will be, there needs to be 2-3 non-vendor individuals to step up from a potential host city and volunteer their event planning services.

One thing we have already learned that 1 person locally isn't enough to handle all the responsibilities and a full geocaching organization is simply way too much to keep the event focused on geocoins. 2-3 people on the local level would be ideal.

So if you would like to see this event in your neck of the woods, start thinking about your location from a tourist perspective and be prepared to pitch the current committee sometime in the months following this inaugural event.

Edited by AtlantaGal

I do not think it should stay in one location, I think this event should travel the USA. I think this event should go in a circle around the USA like a clock. I think somewhere near Chicgo or Detroit would be a good location for next year, then the year after near New York, then, florida, then Texas. Like a big cycle so EVERYONE who wants to attend but can't travel can attend this event. I would like to help host this event next year if it is close to home (as in Chicgo or Detroit). You have to think of all geocachers in the USA who want to attend but don't have the money or are too busy to travel great distances. This is why I think it should travel the USA.

I do not think it should stay in one location, I think this event should travel the USA. I think this event should go in a circle around the USA like a clock. I think somewhere near Chicgo or Detroit would be a good location for next year, then the year after near New York, then, florida, then Texas. Like a big cycle so EVERYONE who wants to attend but can't travel can attend this event. I would like to help host this event next year if it is close to home (as in Chicgo or Detroit). You have to think of all geocachers in the USA who want to attend but don't have the money or are too busy to travel great distances. This is why I think it should travel the USA.

Trust me...it WON"T stay in one location! :P

I think it would be wise to get past the first one before even putting together a committee for next year.

You're going to want to talk to this year's organizers, sponsors, attendees, etc. to figure out what went well, what didn't, what changes they would all like to see, etc.

Yeah, I was planning on having some sort of survey or questionnaire after the fact to figure out the good, the bad and the ugly. We have certainly gained alot of experience with putting an event like this on.

East Coasters already have Geowoodstock and Midwesterners have Midwest Geobash.

let us west coasters enjoy our event.

The last GW4 was in Texas, that's hardly the East Coast :D

The area location is more important than the geographic region, one of the reasons Temecula was appealing was it had area points of interest all around. It could be anywhere in North America.

One thing we have already learned that 1 person locally isn't enough to handle all the responsibilities and a full geocaching organization is simply way too much to keep the event focused on geocoins.

Good point! Dave was magnificent but sometimes overworked on the local end. I wouldn't want to see that much work dumped on one person again.

Let's get through this one so we can lay the foundation for the next ... :D

See ya in 4 days! :P:D:P:):P:D

Doing this first will allow you to gauge the effort involved - and then you'll have a better idea of how to attack next year. You may find that there were either too many or too few people involved this year and that alone can help decide who and how many people should be involved next year.

Food for thought.

Well well well young man I actually agree with you 100% :P

Pepper

Trust me...it WON"T stay in one location! :P

ROFLMAO :P !! A little over whelmed?

Edited by Damenace

I'll try to be more international... :D

I do not think it should stay in one location, I think this event should travel Canada. I think this event should go in a circle around the world like a clock. I think somewhere near Montreal, QC or Vancouver, BC would be a good location for next year, then the year after near Whitehorse, then, Nova Scotia, then Alberta. Like a big cycle so EVERYONE who wants to attend but can't travel can attend this event. I would like to help host this event next year if it is close to home (as in Victoria or Nanaimo). You have to think of all geocachers in Canada who want to attend but don't have the money or are too busy to travel great distances. This is why I think it should travel Canada. :(

I would like to help host this event next year if it is close to home (as in Victoria or Nanaimo).

From above....

Before you can decide on where the next one will be, there needs to be 2-3 non-vendor individuals to step up from a potential host city and volunteer their event planning services.

:D:D I figured that might not fly... I just cut/paste son of cyclops post and switched all the US names for Canadian ones :( but you're right about the vendor part.... dang :(

To be honest, your idea has merit.... but pardon my ignorance of American geography, if this was to travel around the US like a giant clock, shouldn't next year's be in Portland or Seattle?

Hehe... :o

Excuse my North American geography... (I'm an ex-pat)

Temecula, CA to Canada - British Columbia - Vancouver 1179 miles (1898 km)

Temecula, CA to New York 2432 miles (3914 km)

That's (in my estimation) just over twice as far to go! :ph34r::ph34r:

Now all I need is for this snow to melt so I can fly out tomorrow! :huh:

(wow! I spent 20 minutes on this post!)

First, can it be held other than the winter months? Sitting in a hotel due to sleet, rain and snow is no fun when I should be on the plane to CA. :ph34r:

Second, what if it is in an area opposite of Geowoodstock? For example, Texas had Geowoodstock last year so perhaps the Geocoin Fest could have been on the East coast. This year works out perfectly since Geocoin Fest will be held on the West Coast and Geowoodstock is on the East Coast.

No matter where it is, I am sure it will be fun. Well if I can ever get there. :ph34r:

I could not find the other forum but heres a new one. So is there any planning that the hosts for this event plan to give the event to for 2008. I would like to be a host and think somewhere like Chicago or near Detroit would be a great place to host it for 2008. Its is near the center of the country so this will most likely mean more attendees.

Merging duplicate threads. Please use the search feature when looking for old threads instead of opening new ones.

And remember that many of the folks just got home yesterday after a long weekend. I'm sure the dust needs to settle before jumping into the next one. It won't take a year to plan so a little patience here will go a long way.

The event is less than 3 days old at this point. No rush to get the next one nailed down. :signalviolin:

Are there any inputs from the vendors as to how well the GeocoinFest went for them?

Would they be interested in sponsoring another event next year?

I personally think it was a great event, with a lot of trading and finally meet the people who produce coins as well as those who trade them. (Thanks again to wll who participated in this effort of putting this together).

If there is further interest in a "GeocoinFest 2008", I would like to volunteer some of my time to plan and prepare for it.

And remember that many of the folks just got home yesterday after a long weekend. I'm sure the dust needs to settle before jumping into the next one. It won't take a year to plan so a little patience here will go a long way.

The event is less than 3 days old at this point. No rush to get the next one nailed down. :signalviolin:

I concur 100% :mmraspberry:

It will be several months before another committee is selected/chosen/whatever. However, I have heard rumblings of cachers from Pittsburgh and Las Vegas interested in manning the ship :drama:

I could not find the other forum but heres a new one. So is there any planning that the hosts for this event plan to give the event to for 2008. I would like to be a host and think somewhere like Chicago or near Detroit would be a great place to host it for 2008. Its is near the center of the country so this will most likely mean more attendees.

What?!?

A planning committee?!? What are you talking about?!? The event is already over...move along...nothing to see here! :D

Oh, wait a minute... :mmraspberry: ...you mean for next year! :P My bad...I just woke up after a long weekend and I thought it was starting all over again! :signalviolin:

Ok, I'm going to Disneyland now...we can talk about this when I come back. :drama::ph34r:

The event is less than 3 days old at this point. No rush to get the next one nailed down. :D

I concur 100% :D

It will be several months before another committee is selected/chosen/whatever. However, I have heard rumblings of cachers from Pittsburgh and Las Vegas interested in manning the ship :D

How about a Geocoinfest in Las Vegas AND Pittsburg....

If we do it February again, a warm climate will be appreciated! Vegas would be great!

Somethings to think about. It was about 85 degrees F Saturday for the event. Temecula has all of the amenities of southern California, weather, charm, great caches, nice scenery, but not the crowding, traffic and other problems of LA, SD, OC, or even Las Vegas.

I would vote for another friendly town, at a time of year with good weather, and no bugs....

If we do it February again, a warm climate will be appreciated! Vegas would be great!

Somethings to think about. It was about 85 degrees F Saturday for the event. Temecula has all of the amenities of southern California, weather, charm, great caches, nice scenery, but not the crowding, traffic and other problems of LA, SD, OC, or even Las Vegas.

I would vote for another friendly town, at a time of year with good weather, and no bugs....

There are many suitable venues in the San Francisco Bay Area... anyone in THEGBA reading this thread? :D

Are there any inputs from the vendors as to how well the GeocoinFest went for them?

Would they be interested in sponsoring another event next year?

When the dust settles and people have had a chance to go home, rest and reflect we can ask for feedback\questions\complaints and commments. It should be only a little while, but to answer your questions, I feel that the more feedback we get, the better prepared we will be for the next one. This was the first and I am sure C4, 9key, AG, agree that some things worked very well and others could be improved. The vendors also learnt a great deal.

(personal preference New York City! Cause if the bus is delayed then at least I can walk) :D