APE Cache this summer

Ambrosia

Well FenDweller has been known to lurk in the tunnel. :anitongue:

<<Yaaawwwnnn>>> :anitongue: Mmm. Just woke up. Some one mention my name? xx(

Ah, the mighty Fen. How are you my old friend? For long you have slumbered; have you finally awakened? Is it the mere mention of your name that rousts you? I imagine you hunger for the flesh of a bipod, no?

No animosity my old friend, just a salute to my only peer in the regions of men. Please die slowly, for certainly even you must admit, you owe me that.

All my love,

E

Ok, looks like I am all set. Got the hotel, airlines, and rental car reservations locked in. Staying at the Rodeway Inn near SEA airport Saturday, Sunday, and Monday nights. It seems to be a decent hotel at a reasonable rate. If anyone is interested in joining up on Saturday, Monday, or Tuesday for local caching or a couple of tourist stops (SciFi Museum, Space Needle, Microsoft HQ, etc.), drop me a line.

How fast things change. My mom was going to be working in the area and was bringing me with her and coming to the event with me, but has since been grounded by her cardiologist. Seems I'll be by myself this trip. I'll be arriving saturday afternoon (just barely too late for the Potluck) and staying in Issaquah at the Holiday Inn. Without Mom along I'm a little more free, so if anyone needs a ride, let me know. Also, I'll be looking for something to do on monday. I'd like to cache a little and maybe see the space needle. I leave tuesday, but I'm not sure of the time. I do have to go to Puyallup at some point and see the Meeker Mansion (I'm a Meeker descendent).

Hope this isn't a silly question... are dogs allowed on this trail? I have a well behaved Border Collie (excellent protection on the trail for when I'm out hiking/caching alone day or night) that is just dying to come along. Oh, and my 77 year old dad is pretty good protection too, and he'll probably be near the front of the pack on this adventure! B) (He and my mom were recently dubbed the 'Bionic Couple' on a hiking trip to Machu Picchu.)

Hope this isn't a silly question... are dogs allowed on this trail?

Yes. From the Iron Horse State Park website

Pets must be on a leash and under physical control at all times. Pets are not permitted on designated swimming beaches.

I have a well behaved Australian Shepherd. The conservation areas in my area allow dogs under voice command, so she's not too used to being on a leash.

Hope this isn't a silly question... are dogs allowed on this trail? I have a well behaved Border Collie (excellent protection on the trail for when I'm out hiking/caching alone day or night) that is just dying to come along. Oh, and my 77 year old dad is pretty good protection too, and he'll probably be near the front of the pack on this adventure! B) (He and my mom were recently dubbed the 'Bionic Couple' on a hiking trip to Machu Picchu.)

We have done the APE cache with our dog. We actually just tied a little LED light or something around his collar to keep track of him in the tunnel.

This would be a nifty doggie accessory for this hike.

709961_1816Prd.jpg

Edited by Blue Power Ranger

Hope this isn't a silly question... are dogs allowed on this trail? I have a well behaved Border Collie (excellent protection on the trail for when I'm out hiking/caching alone day or night) that is just dying to come along. Oh, and my 77 year old dad is pretty good protection too, and he'll probably be near the front of the pack on this adventure! :rolleyes: (He and my mom were recently dubbed the 'Bionic Couple' on a hiking trip to Machu Picchu.)

We have done the APE cache with our dog. We actually just tied a little LED light or something around his collar to keep track of him in the tunnel.

709961_1816Prd.jpg

I was planning on bring some runners' safety lights (as swag). You're welcome to use one.

07_2.JPG

Edited by CacheNCarryMA

I'll be driving my van from Monroe. I have room for three passengers plus a bike or two. Don't expect a luxury ride; the passenger riding shotgun will probably have to sit sideways because the wheelchair lift takes up the room where the seat would nomally recline. Or they could ride in the back seat, which seats three. My power wheelchair will be back there, but there will be room to maneuver, even with a bike or two (easy in/out with the lift), depending on whether or not anyone is interested in riding with me.

I'd like the company...let me know if you want to park here in Monroe and ride to the starting point.

Hope this isn't a silly question... are dogs allowed on this trail? I have a well behaved Border Collie (excellent protection on the trail for when I'm out hiking/caching alone day or night) that is just dying to come along. Oh, and my 77 year old dad is pretty good protection too, and he'll probably be near the front of the pack on this adventure! :( (He and my mom were recently dubbed the 'Bionic Couple' on a hiking trip to Machu Picchu.)

709961_1816Prd.jpg

I was planning on bring some runners' safety lights (as swag). You're welcome to use one.

07_2.JPG

Thanks! I think I just might take you up on that <_<

A great event and hike through the tunnel. We laggards got a chance to cross paths with Ambrosia's party although the Leprechaun ignored us as he went by. :lol:

That's what happens when you're biking alone in a dark scary tunnel, 2000 miles away from home. :smile: He didn't expect to be shouted at! When we got to the other side, we let him know who it was, as he didn't realize and was trying to catch up to Little Lep in the dark.

Glad to have seen you guys! :smile:

Even though we were much later than everyone else, we managed to see some people, and I got some hugs! I had a great time. I was very glad that my mom and dad and brother could attend as well.

A big THANKS to all who helped get me to the Ape cache, especially to The Misguided family and The Leprechauns. :smile: you guys!

A great event and hike through the tunnel. We laggards got a chance to cross paths with Ambrosia's party although the Leprechaun ignored us as he went by. :lol:

That's what happens when you're biking alone in a dark scary tunnel, 2000 miles away from home. :smile: He didn't expect to be shouted at! When we got to the other side, we let him know who it was, as he didn't realize and was trying to catch up to Little Lep in the dark.

Glad to have seen you guys! :smile:

Thank you for providing an answer to that in a much calmer fashion than I would have posted.

I'm home safely now, with a second APE cache under my belt!

EDIT to add that my daughter had no serious consequences from her fall inside the tunnel, which is where I was headed. She had just a scraped knee and hand. She was very happy to have been wearing a helmet! Thanks for the bike and equipment loans, Ambrosia.

Edited by The Leprechauns

A great event and hike through the tunnel. We laggards got a chance to cross paths with Ambrosia's party although the Leprechaun ignored us as he went by. :unsure:

That's what happens when you're biking alone in a dark scary tunnel, 2000 miles away from home. :D He didn't expect to be shouted at! When we got to the other side, we let him know who it was, as he didn't realize and was trying to catch up to Little Lep in the dark.

Glad to have seen you guys! :D

Thank you for providing an answer to that in a much calmer fashion than I would have posted.

I'm home safely now, with a second APE cache under my belt!

EDIT to add that my daughter had no serious consequences from her fall inside the tunnel, which is where I was headed. She had just a scraped knee and hand. She was very happy to have been wearing a helmet! Thanks for the bike and equipment loans, Ambrosia.

I heard about what was going on afterwards and I'm glad to hear there were just minor srapes and bruises to the ego. Even though you were just a fleeting moment gone by, it was good to see you again.

I would have loved to have been able to make the hike with everyone last Sunday but darn it, my trip to the area is not until July! I will be in the Seattle area starting July 7th and plan on making a run for the APE cache on Sunday July 8th. If there is anyone that would like to join me, I sure would like the company. Two mile long tunnel :unsure: Scary!!!!! I will be making the journey on foot, not bike.Contact me if you are interested.

Thanks,

Chris-Team Shydog

Monticello, IN

Had a blast meeting everyone. I was getting ready to head back down when Ambrosia's party was preparing to go through the tunnel. I saw Little Lep, but not the big one. Glad everyone got to go. I want to do that again, someday.

Thanks to everyone who made this possible!

Edited by maggieszoo

I would have loved to have been able to make the hike with everyone last Sunday but darn it, my trip to the area is not until July! I will be in the Seattle area starting July 7th and plan on making a run for the APE cache on Sunday July 8th. If there is anyone that would like to join me, I sure would like the company. Two mile long tunnel :P Scary!!!!! I will be making the journey on foot, not bike.Contact me if you are interested.

Thanks,

Chris-Team Shydog

Monticello, IN

We might be up for it. Our nephew will be visiting during that time, so we have been saving up this one to do with him. Our plans are still a little in flux, but let's keep in contact as the date gets a bit closer.

I would have loved to have been able to make the hike with everyone last Sunday but darn it, my trip to the area is not until July! I will be in the Seattle area starting July 7th and plan on making a run for the APE cache on Sunday July 8th. If there is anyone that would like to join me, I sure would like the company. Two mile long tunnel :P Scary!!!!! I will be making the journey on foot, not bike.Contact me if you are interested.

Thanks,

Chris-Team Shydog

Monticello, IN

We might be up for it. Our nephew will be visiting during that time, so we have been saving up this one to do with him. Our plans are still a little in flux, but let's keep in contact as the date gets a bit closer.

I would definitely be interested! I still have to convince the other half of "teamsparkie" that the long hike through a dark tunnel is worth it - but I'd love to do this one in a group and meet some other cachers!

Thanks,

Chris-Team Shydog

Monticello, IN

I would definitely be interested! I still have to convince the other half of "teamsparkie" that the long hike through a dark tunnel is worth it - but I'd love to do this one in a group and meet some other cachers!

Considering the North Cascade Tunnel is now closed to a cave-in and flash flooding, this is has become an even more unique experience.