APE Cache this summer

Ambrosia

Hey Craig, I'm a fat guy so I'll be keeping you company near the back of the pack. Just found out about this group caching event recently and sounds like a great one to get in on. I know there are a few other caches along the trail, but I plan on hitting them on the return instead of the way out because I want the Ape cache to be my first find on that DeLorme page.

The best way to do the APE cache is to Bike Down the trail. It's a railroad grade downhill all the way, so it's a pretty easy ride... as long as you start at the top. Of course that means at least Three caches along the trail BEFORE the ape cache, and at least another dozen on the way to the bottom.

When we did it as a group, we had vehicles at the bottom to ferry us back to the top of the mountain to reclaim our vehicles.

Hey Craig, I'm a fat guy so I'll be keeping you company near the back of the pack. Just found out about this group caching event recently and sounds like a great one to get in on. I know there are a few other caches along the trail, but I plan on hitting them on the return instead of the way out because I want the Ape cache to be my first find on that DeLorme page.

The best way to do the APE cache is to Bike Down the trail. It's a railroad grade downhill all the way, so it's a pretty easy ride... as long as you start at the top. Of course that means at least Three caches along the trail BEFORE the ape cache, and at least another dozen on the way to the bottom.

When we did it as a group, we had vehicles at the bottom to ferry us back to the top of the mountain to reclaim our vehicles.

But DON'T take a road bike! I did and had three flats in just a couple of miles. You want the fat tires of a mountain or cross bike.

If you are just doing the APE cache and the back thru the tunnel, a road bike will work.

But DON'T take a road bike! I did and had three flats in just a couple of miles. You want the fat tires of a mountain or cross bike.

If you are just doing the APE cache and the back thru the tunnel, a road bike will work.

Yes, Of course I like Biking Downhill... I would REALLY like someone to volunteer to park at the bottom. Unf. I only can ferry people at the present time, but am still looking around for another vehicle...

The Steaks

Thought I'd post a quick note here too....dad and I will be there and are looking to hook up with someone to do the Hyak to Annette Lake trailhead route one way if there is someone who wants to play musical cars with us. We'd be happy to do other caches as well as the Ape cache if that's what you would want to do, I just would prefer not to push him or myself to do the full miles with some uphill....he's got a patched up ticker and I've got a balance disorder, and fun as it may be, I'd like to only do the tunnel once (I fall over easily in the dark!). Anyone else like that plan? No bike for me, I'd really fall over then!

Edited by Gennysmom

Hey this sounds like fun!! Maybe I can round up some east-siders to join up for this APE hunt in June.

Count more Cache Dashers in! Hopefully 3-5... but the rest don't know it yet :anitongue::laughing:

Did anyone notice that June 17th is Father's Day? I am hoping to bring my dad along!

Edited by Lookout Lisa

If the tunnel is accessible to road bikes, I'm assuming it's accessible to a power wheelchair? Not one of those "Rascal"-type scooters, but a regular electric wheelchair. I want to to do the tunnel SO badly, but I simply can't walk that far; a quarter mile, round trip, is the farthest my legs will carry me, and only under extreme protest. I've been staying out of my chair (yay!) and hate the thought of even riding in it since I haven't used it in months, but the length of the hike makes it impossible for me to do on foot. I'd love to do the other caches along the way, too, but I've no idea if that's possible using the chair. Is there a bookmark or route that plots the terrain so I can judge whether or not my chair can make it? Oh, to be able just to do the whole thing as a bi-ped... :D

For ease of loading and unloading my very heavy chair, I'll be driving my van (it has a lift). I'll gladly play ferry for as many as can fit inside in return for someone who can show me where I'm going. B)

Edited by Pyewacket

If the tunnel is accessible to road bikes, I'm assuming it's accessible to a power wheelchair? Not one of those "Rascal"-type scooters, but a regular electric wheelchair. I want to to do the tunnel SO badly, but I simply can't walk that far; a quarter mile, round trip, is the farthest my legs will carry me, and only under extreme protest. I've been staying out of my chair (yay!) and hate the thought of even riding in it since I haven't used it in months, but the length of the hike makes it impossible for me to do on foot. I'd love to do the other caches along the way, too, but I've no idea if that's possible using the chair. Is there a bookmark or route that plots the terrain so I can judge whether or not my chair can make it? Oh, to be able just to do the whole thing as a bi-ped... :D

For ease of loading and unloading my very heavy chair, I'll be driving my van (it has a lift). I'll gladly play ferry for as many as can fit inside in return for someone who can show me where I'm going. B)

I don't have a route saved, but here's what I remember:

You will park at the Iron Horse Trailhead listed on the cache page. From there it's a .3 mile distance (if I remember correctly) on gravel/dirt trail to the tunnel itself. From there it's paved all the way to the other end...and if there's a grade at all, I don't remember it. On the west side, it's another .5 mile to the APE cache on dirt/gravel trail with a slight slope. Including the APE cache, there are three others on the way. There was another one (at the eastern portal) that is now gone.

Inside the tunnel are Bloody Fingers, Dirty Diapers... (which I don't think you can get without help) and Old Bald Bison (which you can get easily). Just outside the western portal is Iron Horse, which I'm pretty sure you can get as well.

The APE cache itself you can get easily...it's only a few feet off the trail. Then back up the slope to the tunnel again and back.

Your chair should be able to make it as long as the battery holds out that long...and that it can handle the non-paved parts, but I think it should...unless the trail has changed a lot since I was there.

You will park at the Iron Horse Trailhead listed on the cache page. From there it's a .3 mile distance (if I remember correctly) on gravel/dirt trail to the tunnel itself. From there it's paved all the way to the other end...and if there's a grade at all, I don't remember it. On the west side, it's another .5 mile to the APE cache on dirt/gravel trail with a slight slope. Including the APE cache, there are three others on the way. There was another one (at the eastern portal) that is now gone.

Inside the tunnel are Bloody Fingers, Dirty Diapers... (which I don't think you can get without help) and Old Bald Bison (which you can get easily). Just outside the western portal is Iron Horse, which I'm pretty sure you can get as well.

The APE cache itself you can get easily...it's only a few feet off the trail. Then back up the slope to the tunnel again and back.

Your chair should be able to make it as long as the battery holds out that long...and that it can handle the non-paved parts, but I think it should...unless the trail has changed a lot since I was there.

Just a couple of corrections. The trail is gravel all the way once you leave the parking lot. Just inside the tunnel is Tunnel Creek as part of it falls into the tunnel. That can be avoided fairly easily. Iron Horse is up a bit of a hill and involves a bit of scrambling. The APE cache is off of the trail, but as long as the chair can handle some small undulations, you could probably do it in the chair, but walking would not be far there. The trail is an old railroad grade so has not much slope at all. Most of the trail has no grade at all.

If the tunnel is accessible to road bikes, I'm assuming it's accessible to a power wheelchair? Not one of those "Rascal"-type scooters, but a regular electric wheelchair. I want to to do the tunnel SO badly, but I simply can't walk that far; a quarter mile, round trip, is the farthest my legs will carry me, and only under extreme protest. I've been staying out of my chair (yay!) and hate the thought of even riding in it since I haven't used it in months, but the length of the hike makes it impossible for me to do on foot. I'd love to do the other caches along the way, too, but I've no idea if that's possible using the chair. Is there a bookmark or route that plots the terrain so I can judge whether or not my chair can make it? Oh, to be able just to do the whole thing as a bi-ped... B)

Just a couple of corrections. The trail is gravel all the way once you leave the parking lot. Just inside the tunnel is Tunnel Creek as part of it falls into the tunnel. That can be avoided fairly easily. Iron Horse is up a bit of a hill and involves a bit of scrambling. The APE cache is off of the trail, but as long as the chair can handle some small undulations, you could probably do it in the chair, but walking would not be far there. The trail is an old railroad grade so has not much slope at all. Most of the trail has no grade at all.

Shows ya how good my memory is... :DB)

I'm going to do my best to make it to this one. :P

If I provided a Radio Flyer Red Wagon could you tow me behind you?

Ya know, while this creates a whimsical image, I'll bet it could be done!

If you bring this little red wagon we could all ride in it!

d3c95263-1987-45a7-96cf-8246785e157c.jpg

If that one is too big, how about this one?

25889_300.jpg

Heya Everyone. I don't have a better car yet, But I have done a bookmark list with the ones that should be on the route. Tell me if there are any that need to be added.

Iron Horse 3 Bookmark.

<<From the Bookmark list...>

So, Who's going to join me on 17 June 2007. User eagsc7 will park at the Top. We need someone to park at the bottom for the quick return of people to their vehicles...

See Iron Horse 2 for more information Same as last time.

Starting point is: N47 23.577 W121 23.602

Ending Point is: N47 26.018 W121 46.034

The Steaks

Heya Everyone. I don't have a better car yet, But I have done a bookmark list with the ones that should be on the route. Tell me if there are any that need to be added.

Iron Horse 3 Bookmark.

So, Who's going to join me on 17 June 2007. User eagsc7 will park at the Top. We need someone to park at the bottom for the quick return of people to their vehicles...

The Steaks

Now this is strange! I clicked on your bookmark, and the bottom of the page says "Total Records 23 - Page 3 of 2" :D:D<_<

I had hoped to make it to this group hunt, but it looks like I won't get up there in time. We are moving from West TN to Salem OR at the end of June. Wife's mother lives near Seattle, and her grandfather lived in North Bend and is buried there. The APE cache is high on my list once we get up there, maybe later this summer! Y'all have fun!

I had hoped to make it to this group hunt, but it looks like I won't get up there in time. We are moving from West TN to Salem OR at the end of June. Wife's mother lives near Seattle, and her grandfather lived in North Bend and is buried there. The APE cache is high on my list once we get up there, maybe later this summer! Y'all have fun!

It's a little early, but Welcome to the area! I look forward to meeting you at an event in the future!

Iron Horse 3 Bookmark.

The Steaks

Not a big deal but some folks might confuse your bookmark list with the Ridin The Iron horse III event that was on the other side of the pass last year.

Iron Horse 3 Bookmark.

The Steaks

Not a big deal but some folks might confuse your bookmark list with the Ridin The Iron horse III event that was on the other side of the pass last year.

Agreement. This would actually be the Iron Horse 4 / IV.

Welcome to the Northwest! I was born & raised in west Tennessee (a long time ago though)-- I like it MUCH better out here & know you will too!! (BUT I miss the BBQ - can't get real southern BBQ up here anywhere, hope you brought a recipe).

I talked to a couple of people today who are planning on doing the Ape Cache & I'm thinking hard about being among the "slow" group in back... We'll see as the time gets closer.

Welcome to the Northwest! I was born & raised in west Tennessee (a long time ago though)-- I like it MUCH better out here & know you will too!! (BUT I miss the BBQ - can't get real southern BBQ up here anywhere, hope you brought a recipe).

I talked to a couple of people today who are planning on doing the Ape Cache & I'm thinking hard about being among the "slow" group in back... We'll see as the time gets closer.

Yah, it will be great to see you again, spencersb. We fellow Tennesseans have to huddle together in the soggy Northwest.

Iron Horse 4 Bookmark.

The Steaks

... As noted, Yes, it is Iron Horse IV!!! Is there anyone that is willing to park at the ending point? Do I need to park at the end?

The Steaks

I know I'm jumping in late, but I would love to come along. I'll be in the Seattle area that day, anyway. I just hope Mom can live without me shopping with her for the day or come with me without whining.

I'll most likely be walking. I thought about finding a pawn shop and getting a cheap bike and then selling it back to them afterwards. It would probably cost about the same in the long run as a rental.

Edited by maggieszoo

Looks like I'll be moving back the time of the "Project BREAKFAST" (Father's Day) event due to the number of cachers expected to show up and the size of the restaurant. I'll talk to the manager of Twede's this afternoon and change the time to either 8:30 or 9:00 depending on his feedback.

Please watch the event cache page for updates.

Project BREAKFAST Meet & Greet

Edited by CacheNCarryMA

It looks like the timing that has been decided in here does not work for us. This thread has gone off in a different direction than intended, but it has been a good place to discuss the Ape cache, so carry on.

Just out of curiosity, what was the intended direction of this thread? I thought the objective was to get a group together sometime this summer to find the APE cache. Sorry to hear you cannot make it that weekend.

I'm going to do my best to make it to this one. :D

If I provided a Radio Flyer Red Wagon could you tow me behind you?

Ya know, while this creates a whimsical image, I'll bet it could be done!

If you bring this little red wagon we could all ride in it!

d3c95263-1987-45a7-96cf-8246785e157c.jpg

They don't make those like they used to, now they have cheapo plastic wheels that shatter after a few years... :D Just happened to my 10 year old's wagon.

I will do my very best to be there. :D

I got dibs on the front right pole to carry Ambrosia's sedan chair. Does anyone know the overhead clearance inside the tunnel?

So how's it looking for you so far?

I will be finding the APE cache with my daughter and a small group.

I hope that everyone attending the breakfast event and the morning trip has lots of fun! :D

What is the walk like from the APE cache to the bottom parking area? I ask because my mom is determined to come with me because she's afraid I'll get raped and murdered. FYI she would be a lot of help--she's 61. I'm 40. I would consider it flattery if there were an attempt! At any rate, I'm sure she can do the Iron Horse trailhead to the cache, but it's the trip back that has me worried. I know it probably isn't too bad, but I'll have to listen to her whine. Actually, you'll ALL have to listen to her whine!

If the hike from the cache to the other trailhead isn't too bad, maybe we can hitch a ride from there back to our car or we can leave our car there and shuttle someone else to the Iron Horse trailhead?

What is the walk like from the APE cache to the bottom parking area? I ask because my mom is determined to come with me because she's afraid I'll get raped and murdered. FYI she would be a lot of help--she's 61. I'm 40. I would consider it flattery if there were an attempt! At any rate, I'm sure she can do the Iron Horse trailhead to the cache, but it's the trip back that has me worried. I know it probably isn't too bad, but I'll have to listen to her whine. Actually, you'll ALL have to listen to her whine!

If the hike from the cache to the other trailhead isn't too bad, maybe we can hitch a ride from there back to our car or we can leave our car there and shuttle someone else to the Iron Horse trailhead?

Time to fix a little misconception that I have seen repeated several times now.

The downhill that is mentioned from the trailhead at hyak to the cache is less then 1 percent. The railroad is headding thru a tunnel as it crosses the divide of the pass. I really don't want anyone thinking that they can't make because it is too steap, because after making the trip multiple times on foot and on bike I have never noticed any apreciable slope. IMO if your mother can make it to the cache she will make it back just fine.

Hope this extra info helps to put your mind at ease.

Time to fix a little misconception that I have seen repeated several times now.

The downhill that is mentioned from the trailhead at hyak to the cache is less then 1 percent. The railroad is headding thru a tunnel as it crosses the divide of the pass. I really don't want anyone thinking that they can't make because it is too steap, because after making the trip multiple times on foot and on bike I have never noticed any apreciable slope. IMO if your mother can make it to the cache she will make it back just fine.

Hope this extra info helps to put your mind at ease.

I was more concerned with the rape/murder part of the post...

This trail is pretty heavily travelled. In spite of the recent news on some of our trails where bodies have been turning up, the only recent death was last year with the double homicide at Pilchuck.

The overall safety record of all of our trails makes this a rare situation. I wouldn't put a lot of worry into rape or murder, but as always, common sense should prevail on the trail as you would apply it in a shopping mall parking lot where the likelihood of abduction is much higher.

Thanks. I'm not usually worried about the rape/murder thing. I keep an eye out for strangers and generally get a feel for who is out of place.

I'm more worried about having to listen to my mother whine for an extra hour. Of course, that could be a safety feature if we got abducted..... Instead of a ransom note, demanding money, there would be a note asking where to send payment for someone to come and get Mom!

Don't get me wrong, I really love my mom and she can be a blast to be around, but when Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!

It looks like the timing that has been decided in here does not work for us. This thread has gone off in a different direction than intended, but it has been a good place to discuss the Ape cache, so carry on.

Just out of curiosity, what was the intended direction of this thread? I thought the objective was to get a group together sometime this summer to find the APE cache. Sorry to hear you cannot make it that weekend.

:rolleyes: Reading through my first post and a few other posts towards the beginning will probably give you an idea of what this thread was about.

:blink: Reading through my first post and a few other posts towards the beginning will probably give you an idea of what this thread was about.

Yeah. I'm sorry I hijacked this thread from the get go and through out! :rolleyes:

:blink: Reading through my first post and a few other posts towards the beginning will probably give you an idea of what this thread was about.

Yeah. I'm sorry I hijacked this thread from the get go and through out! :rolleyes:

Don't worry, it happens. This seems to have worked out to be a great place for everyone to plan for the ape cache.

Edited by Ambrosia