APE Cache this summer

Ambrosia

If you use the Annette Lake trail, you will be doing some climbing on a fairly rough trail with lots of rocks and roots to go over.

We are set to tackle APE from the Annette Lake Trail in about 10 days. Do you have any idea about snow conditions this year? Past logs have read both deep snow and no snow in previous years for April.

Mark gave you a good way to find out the snow conditions. Be careful going up the Annette Lake trail. The first road like trail you come to is just that, a road. You will cross the creek on a bridge before you get to the Iron Horse trail. Don't turn left too soon or you will have trouble.

If you use the Annette Lake trail, you will be doing some climbing on a fairly rough trail with lots of rocks and roots to go over.

We are set to tackle APE from the Annette Lake Trail in about 10 days. Do you have any idea about snow conditions this year? Past logs have read both deep snow and no snow in previous years for April.

Mark gave you a good way to find out the snow conditions. Be careful going up the Annette Lake trail. The first road like trail you come to is just that, a road. You will cross the creek on a bridge before you get to the Iron Horse trail. Don't turn left too soon or you will have trouble.

I was just up at the Annette Lake trail head two days ago. It was mostly clear of snow until just before the parking area. The road to the parking area was snowy and deeply rutted so that the bottom of our car (a Honda Element) scraped along the snow. And, the parking area was full of slushy snow, so I bet the trails are in similar shape.

Edited by Forty-n-Eight

I was just up at the Annette Lake trail head two days ago. It was mostly clear of snow until just before the parking area. The road to the parking area was snowy and deeply rutted so that the bottom of our car (a Honda Element) scraped along the snow. And, the parking area was full of slushy snow, so I bet the trails are in similar shape.

Thank you for information. I think we'll rent some snowshoes for the trek.

I called the Singletrack Bicycle shop in North Bend looking for bike rental information. The guys at the store said that because insurance/laws have tightened up not a lot of places rent anymore. They are selling off their rental bikes and only have three left.

Looks like my family will be walking to the APE cache.

I called the Singletrack Bicycle shop in North Bend looking for bike rental information. The guys at the store said that because insurance/laws have tightened up not a lot of places rent anymore. They are selling off their rental bikes and only have three left.

I've done it on bike and on foot. Both were fun. It's definitely faster on a bike, but you'll have more time to look at the old railroad stuff in the tunnel when you're on foot.

I've been reading through this thread and it has really captured my interest. I would love to head up that way for a June 17 APE expedition. Coming from Texas, but I have more than enough AAirline miles. Guess I need to check into that. Since I am flying in an the bike rental prospects don't look good, I will likely be walking. When I know something more, I'll post here again. :)

So, how many people are participating at this point on June 17? Everyone heading west through the tunnel from the Iron Horse trailhead? How many are walking vs cycling? Are we setting a time and place to meet up? Currently, I plan on walking from the east (Iron Horse). I should be in town Friday through Monday, so hope to enjoy some of the other local caches and attractions.

So, how many people are participating at this point on June 17? Everyone heading west through the tunnel from the Iron Horse trailhead? How many are walking vs cycling? Are we setting a time and place to meet up? Currently, I plan on walking from the east (Iron Horse). I should be in town Friday through Monday, so hope to enjoy some of the other local caches and attractions.

Some time in May, I'll post an event cache - Meet and Greet at Twede's Cafe in North Bend, Sunday June 17 breakfast at 9:30AM. (I'd make it earlier, but we're getting in at midnight, the night before)

I hadn't thought of which trailhead we'll use. What's the shortest route?

Edited by CacheNCarryMA

Some time in May, I'll post an event cache - Meet and Greet at Twede's Cafe in North Bend, Sunday June 17 breakfast at 9:30AM. (I'd make it earlier, but we're getting in at midnight, the night before)

I hadn't thought of which trailhead we'll use. What's the shortest route?

Easiest (least elevation loss/gain) is from the east - thru the tunnel.

I've got a question. When you look at the Snoqualmie Tunnel in Google Earth there is an obvious line where the tunnel is. What is that line? A cleared area for high tension wires?

Yes, power lines do go up and over the same hill.

There is also a microwave reflector path in the same area.

By the way, Groundspeak HQ in Seattle allows public visits on Friday afternoons with advance notice required, if anyone is interested in a group visit. Not sure yet if my flight will be arriving early enough, but I am going to hit it if I can. :anitongue:

Edited by CacheSafari

I've done it on bike and on foot. Both were fun. It's definitely faster on a bike, but you'll have more time to look at the old railroad stuff in the tunnel when you're on foot.

Shop99er and I did the APE trip through the tunnel and it was a straight 30 minutes of pedalin'. It was easy though, so I am guessing at an easy hour walk through the tunnel. Just a guess though, since I was pedalin' it.

The tunnel is definately a very cool way to go though!!

If the weather is expected to turn bad on Sunday 6/17, are we going to have a backup plan for Saturday or Monday? Otherwise, anyone up for some caching and sightseeing around Seattle on Monday? Haven't made my reservations yet, but my current plan is to arrive on Friday and leave late Monday or early Tuesday.

If the weather is expected to turn bad on Sunday 6/17, are we going to have a backup plan for Saturday or Monday? Otherwise, anyone up for some caching and sightseeing around Seattle on Monday? Haven't made my reservations yet, but my current plan is to arrive on Friday and leave late Monday or early Tuesday.

Define "bad"

A little rain won't bother anybody from around here. Besides, a fair portion of the hike is in a tunnel. Of course the tunnel leaks, but that happens whatever the weather is. Yeah, the tunnel gets chilly. We just dress for that.

Define "bad"

A little rain won't bother anybody from around here. Besides, a fair portion of the hike is in a tunnel. Of course the tunnel leaks, but that happens whatever the weather is. Yeah, the tunnel gets chilly. We just dress for that.

Of course, I mean severe weather. I'm sure Washington is not immune from that. If no one is interested in a contingency plan, fine. I figured a few people would be coming in long distance and would not want to go home APE-less. I, for one, would not walk out in the open during a hail or lightning storm. Since I live in Texas, I have no idea what the weather potential is up there. That's why I bring it up.

Define "bad"

Of course, I mean severe weather. I'm sure Washington is not immune from that. If no one is interested in a contingency plan, fine. I figured a few people would be coming in long distance and would not want to go home APE-less. I, for one, would not walk out in the open during a hail or lightning storm. Since I live in Texas, I have no idea what the weather potential is up there. That's why I bring it up.

It's very different from Texas. Been there done that and know the storms you speak of. There are storms here that will chase us out of the mountains, but not out of the hills due to the flooding rivers. ;) Follow the lead of the locals here. They know which storms to avoid versus which storms to play in. for the most part, the worst of it is over. All we have left are spring storms and these are relatively mild... with an occasional electrical storm which will make itself known long before it becomes a local problem.

It's very different from Texas. Been there done that and know the storms you speak of. There are storms here that will chase us out of the mountains, but not out of the hills due to the flooding rivers. ;) Follow the lead of the locals here. They know which storms to avoid versus which storms to play in. for the most part, the worst of it is over. All we have left are spring storms and these are relatively mild... with an occasional electrical storm which will make itself known long before it becomes a local problem.

Even those are easy to handle. Just carry a 2 iron club and hold it over your head. I've heard it said that not even God can hit a 2 iron. :P

The other problem is that you are looking at a weather report that is a month in the future. :P As any PNW person could tell you, around here that is called a guess. Nothing more. ;)

I'm serious, the weather forcasters around here just keep mumbling about rain cause its a safe bet. Really don't start looking untill its the 10 day forcast and even then if they say partial rain or partially cloudy.... yep they are guessing again.

That said, 2.25 mile tunnel, bring it on.

The other problem is that you are looking at a weather report that is a month in the future. :lol: As any PNW person could tell you, around here that is called a guess. Nothing more. :)

I'm serious, the weather forcasters around here just keep mumbling about rain cause its a safe bet. Really don't start looking untill its the 10 day forcast and even then if they say partial rain or partially cloudy.... yep they are guessing again.

Geez, give me a break. I was simply proposing a specific backup day, so people can make similar travel plans to accommodate. Ignoring the possibility means some people will be available on Saturday while others will be available on Monday, without adequate planning. Perhaps it was a dumb idea.

It's not a dumb idea. It's just that in the NorthWET you get used to making plans and accepting that you have no idea what the weather is going to be like that day. If we stayed home everytime the weather gets a little iffy we'd never go outside at all. :lol:

We just get used to picking our dates for events and doing them regardless of what mother nature throws at us.

The other problem is that you are looking at a weather report that is a month in the future. :) As any PNW person could tell you, around here that is called a guess. Nothing more. :lol:

Geez, give me a break. I was simply proposing a specific backup day, so people can make similar travel plans to accommodate. Ignoring the possibility means some people will be available on Saturday while others will be available on Monday, without adequate planning. Perhaps it was a dumb idea.

I am sorry, my post was ment to be a humerous one. We really do kinda just ignore the weather around here unless it gets really, really bad. I didn't mean to step on any toes.

The other problem is that you are looking at a weather report that is a month in the future. :) As any PNW person could tell you, around here that is called a guess. Nothing more. :)

Seriously, rain doesn't stop us here. It isn't like Texas where you have a lot of great days strung together after a storm. Unless a severe (and I mean big blowdown) storm is forecast, our contingency plans usually revolve around where we can meet up for good eats and drinks after the hike. Our big blowdowns have already happened for the year. Electrical storms season is upon us and should be no problem by then. Although spectacular they number 2 or 3.

And now for a little humor:

10. Around here, we call two days of rain strung together the weekend.

9. We replaced humidity with lots of falling moisture.

8. Our forecasts usually call for scattered sunshine.

7. We don't take dogs for a walk, we take our fish.

6. We don't tan, we rust. (Even Pepper had to get used to that when she was up here. :lol: )

5. The weather is the reason we drink the most coffee in the world.

4. Our mantra is Goretex is your friend.

3. Washington is called the Evergreen State for a reason.

2. Before the demise of the Kingdome, professional baseball and football were indoor sports.

1. Texas may be God's country, but when the weather breaks, you'll see why he vacations here. :lol:

Shop99er and I did the APE trip through the tunnel and it was a straight 30 minutes of pedalin'. It was easy though, so I am guessing at an easy hour walk through the tunnel. Just a guess though, since I was pedalin' it.

The tunnel is definately a very cool way to go though!!

Semper Questio and I have walked to the cache through the tunnel. It took us something like an hour heading to the cache, and a tad longer coming back.

He decided he wanted to grab the cache in the tunnel.

That was fun to watch. :lol:

It's not a dumb idea. It's just that in the NorthWET you get used to making plans and accepting that you have no idea what the weather is going to be like that day. If we stayed home everytime the weather gets a little iffy we'd never go outside at all. :lol:

The problem is people seem to be under the impression I am talking about "iffy" weather or that I am trying to forecast it two months out. I was simply planning for the possibility we may find out around Friday that extremely inclement weather was expected and have a backup day. If no one thinks it's needed, I'll plan for myself. Planning for the possible does not in itself make the unlikely happen.

We just get used to picking our dates for events and doing them regardless of what mother nature throws at us.

Understood. However, in this situation, some people are coming from long distances rather than dealing with your average local event. The time and expense involved tends to encourage a little more planning, to avoid a wasted trip. I can see where someone living in the state would not be concerned with such aspects. Rescheduling such an outing would be a simple task in that case.

Looking forward to meeting all of you for breakfast on June 17. We may have to have a drawing to see who takes home the APE geocoin that I will at least "dip" in the cache. The owner has requested pictures be posted on the log. I'd like dibs on the green Jeep in the cache. Any objections?

Tom Fuller

Crescent, Oregon

Thats if the Green Jeep is still there at that time. Thats a couple of months away.

Looking forward to meeting all of you for breakfast on June 17. We may have to have a drawing to see who takes home the APE geocoin that I will at least "dip" in the cache. The owner has requested pictures be posted on the log. I'd like dibs on the green Jeep in the cache. Any objections?

Tom Fuller

Crescent, Oregon

Thats if the Green Jeep is still there at that time. Thats a couple of months away.

neither of the green jeeps listed are in the cache :rolleyes:

however, the white jeep is :blink:

It's not a dumb idea. It's just that in the NorthWET you get used to making plans and accepting that you have no idea what the weather is going to be like that day. If we stayed home everytime the weather gets a little iffy we'd never go outside at all. :rolleyes:

The problem is people seem to be under the impression I am talking about "iffy" weather or that I am trying to forecast it two months out. I was simply planning for the possibility we may find out around Friday that extremely inclement weather was expected and have a backup day. If no one thinks it's needed, I'll plan for myself. Planning for the possible does not in itself make the unlikely happen.

Understood. However, in this situation, some people are coming from long distances rather than dealing with your average local event. The time and expense involved tends to encourage a little more planning, to avoid a wasted trip. I can see where someone living in the state would not be concerned with such aspects. Rescheduling such an outing would be a simple task in that case.

The possibility of serious bad weather in the middle of June is so far from likely that I would not worry about it. The only real possible bad weather there is thunderstorms and those are not anywhere like the one in the plains. Ours are very mild T-Storms. I would not worry about the weather. The most likely possibility is getting a little damp.

It's not a dumb idea. It's just that in the NorthWET you get used to making plans and accepting that you have no idea what the weather is going to be like that day. If we stayed home everytime the weather gets a little iffy we'd never go outside at all. :rolleyes:

Since this is going to be in the middle of June, rain, or any other "extremely inclement weather" is the last thing to worry about. If, somehow, the weather got that bad, we would be too busy building boats to care about coming back on another day.

Even in the NorthWET, we have dry times. The worst you can expect is some fog/heavy mist.

The Tunnel will be chilly. Bring a jacket.

The more the merrier!

I'm joining in on the fun for the June17th breakfast and walk. I'm looking forward to seeing new faces and maybe some I've seen before.

I'll be caching in Seattle the 13th through the 16th - maybe we can get permission to shake hands with some of the worker bees - err frogs - at Geocaching HQ. ;);):laughing:

Once again, I'm threatening to come to Seattle for the APE. I cannot rest another month. I'd flip if it was archived without me getting it. My husband would have to have me committed. Therefore, I have made plans for a May 3-4 rendevoux. I cannot stay for the Spring Fling, which really bugs me, because I have to catch a 1:15 p.m. flight to Newark :laughing: in order to pick up the MiniMoggers from their grandparents. It will be a highly unorganized frenzy trip and if all we get to is the APE, so be it. It will be my most expensive cache find, next to the French trains locationless cache that we HAD to get up in Vermont a couple of years ago.

Any words of encouragement out there?

Caroline "MommieMogger" Strasser

Once again, I'm threatening to come to Seattle for the APE. I cannot rest another month. I'd flip if it was archived without me getting it. My husband would have to have me committed. Therefore, I have made plans for a May 3-4 rendevoux. I cannot stay for the Spring Fling, which really bugs me, because I have to catch a 1:15 p.m. flight to Newark :laughing: in order to pick up the MiniMoggers from their grandparents. It will be a highly unorganized frenzy trip and if all we get to is the APE, so be it. It will be my most expensive cache find, next to the French trains locationless cache that we HAD to get up in Vermont a couple of years ago.

Good Luck on the tunnel being open. The schedule says May 1, weather permitting. I have not been up to the pass lately. Maybe somebody else has and can give some guidance on the snow conditions. To be on the safe side, be sure to have the Annette Lake Trail info so you can go up that way.

Good advice from WeightMan.

Therefore, I have made plans for a May 3-4 rendevoux. I cannot stay for the Spring Fling, which really bugs me, because I have to catch a 1:15 p.m. flight
So, you'll be here overnight on the 3rd and then gone on the 4th at 1:15 pm? Crazy woman!

Maybe we can get together for dinner somewhere on the night of the 3rd? Email me.

Hi all! Just wanted to let TPTB know to expect me and Zeke's Aunt in June. However, I'll be the one after the great APE. We'll be staying in Snoqualmie. Arrive the 14th, leave the 18th. The 15th (?) will be my caching day, so if anyone wants to meet up, just shoot me an email. Can't wait to meet everyone.

Once again, I'm threatening to come to Seattle for the APE. I cannot rest another month. I'd flip if it was archived without me getting it. My husband would have to have me committed. Therefore, I have made plans for a May 3-4 rendevoux. I cannot stay for the Spring Fling, which really bugs me, because I have to catch a 1:15 p.m. flight to Newark ;) in order to pick up the MiniMoggers from their grandparents. It will be a highly unorganized frenzy trip and if all we get to is the APE, so be it. It will be my most expensive cache find, next to the French trains locationless cache that we HAD to get up in Vermont a couple of years ago.

Good Luck on the tunnel being open. The schedule says May 1, weather permitting. I have not been up to the pass lately. Maybe somebody else has and can give some guidance on the snow conditions. To be on the safe side, be sure to have the Annette Lake Trail info so you can go up that way.

Drove through the pass twice this past weekend. It appears the snowline is well above the iron horse trail. It should be open on time if not early.

I saw the post on the Breakfast meet.

I'm a slow hiker, I wear a leg brace and will in the caboose of the group.

I fly in to Seattle on the 12th and fly out on the 18th

I've got some red clip-on flasher lights (a signature item of local cachers BluEyz & Bugsy) for the caboose group to wear so they don't get run over by bikers or horses in the tunnel. :blink:

Edited by CacheNCarryMA

Ok, looks like I will be arriving in Seattle early on Saturday and leaving Tuesday evening. Unfortunately, I was limited to one choice of flight and day using my AAmiles and have to stay over Friday night in Austin. Ah well, it's free flight anyway. Looks like I will miss out on the Groundspeak HQ tour on Friday. They don't seem to want to do those any other weekday. At this time, I plan to stay at the Holiday Inn near the Seatac airport. I will probably be doing local caches and tourist stops in Seattle on Saturday and Monday, if anyone wants to join up. Anyone know if Microsoft offers tours? :shocked:

Edited by CacheSafari

I've got some red clip-on flasher lights (a signature item of local cachers BluEyz & Bugsy) for the caboose group to wear so they don't get run over by bikers or horses in the tunnel. :shocked:

The last time I did this with a group, I was the caboose (mainly because I left my GPSr on roof of my car and had to run back from the tunnel to get it), and walked the whole way thru the tunnel without using a light. The group ahead had small lanterns and I just followed them - from a couple of hundred feet back.

Hey Craig, I'm a fat guy so I'll be keeping you company near the back of the pack. Just found out about this group caching event recently and sounds like a great one to get in on. I know there are a few other caches along the trail, but I plan on hitting them on the return instead of the way out because I want the Ape cache to be my first find on that DeLorme page.

If anyone knows people who have "Around the World in 80 Caches" coins the APE cache is a 10 point score. I'll already do the max number of moves for the one that I have right now, but would be happy to assist other people with the coins they have in this competition.