APE Cache this summer

Ambrosia

Voting's fine, and I will take it into consideration by all means. But this was a trip that I was planning for myself months ago (ODragon and I started talking about it in October while visiting with each other in TN), and started this thread so that people could come along if they like. It's not a democracy. :laughing: I have a small window of days to decide between.

However, if I don't do it on the 17th, then it looks like CacheNCarryMA has been planning for it that day, so everyone can go on that trip! Good to have choices. :huh:

Well, darlin', this might be a good time to choose a date. Yeah, if it's just you and your friends, it's not a democracy. Post it here, and you'll get opinions. Any reason not to do the 17th? I like all the geocachers out together, criss-crossing and running each other over with bikes. I like dinner, too. I like breakfast. Where is the lunch event?

Voting's fine, and I will take it into consideration by all means. But this was a trip that I was planning for myself months ago (ODragon and I started talking about it in October while visiting with each other in TN), and started this thread so that people could come along if they like. It's not a democracy. :laughing: I have a small window of days to decide between.

However, if I don't do it on the 17th, then it looks like CacheNCarryMA has been planning for it that day, so everyone can go on that trip! Good to have choices. :huh:

Well, darlin', this might be a good time to choose a date. Yeah, if it's just you and your friends, it's not a democracy. Post it here, and you'll get opinions. Any reason not to do the 17th? I like all the geocachers out together, criss-crossing and running each other over with bikes. I like dinner, too. I like breakfast. Where is the lunch event?

Because we have things happening different weekends and are trying to make sure that the ape weekend doesn't conflict. I hope to have the date soon.

I hadn't started the thread because I wanted the date nailed down first. But then I realized that if I didn't start the thread, people would have their summer scheduled out. So I just wanted to give a heads up.

As soon as I know, I'll say so here. Whomever else the date works for, can come if they want! :huh:

Edited by Ambrosia

Saturdays work better for me (and probably many others). If a firm date is set by Mar. 31, I'll see if I can get a few cachers from Central Oregon to come up for this expedition. We have an annual Fool-A-Paloozza event cache in Bend founded by Shotgun & Peashooter.

If I can make it I'll bring my pickup and can haul a few bikes along with my own.

Maybe we can set a record for the number of cachers visiting an APE cache on a single day.

Put me on the definate maybe list for June.

Tom Fuller

Wow. This post really rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe those who have the luxury of being able to plan their schedules four months in advance, right down to the weekend and day, should go ahead and plan on finding the cache on June 17th. Ever since becoming a divorced parent, I don't have that luxury. When my schedule does firm up, and I hope that happens soon, I'll make the appropriate contacts.

I could go for the Egyptian princess litter thingy. Complete with handsome slaves to carry it, ostrich fans, and someone feeding me grapes. :huh:

Be carefull what you say. You never know the extent of our craziness :P

Oh, I'll bet she does, too. :laughing:

There seems to be a bit of "I want this date" happening, and, I fear, there will be much more. Folks, we need to keep in mind that this is Ambrosia's expidition. We are all just litter/spear/fan/grape carriers.

Let's leave the choice of date in her more than capable hands, and accept what she decides. If some of us can't make it, then we can't make it.

My 2% of a dollar.

See my post above :laughing:

[edit--clarification]

Edited by Shop99er

I could go for the Egyptian princess litter thingy. Complete with handsome slaves to carry it, ostrich fans, and someone feeding me grapes. :huh:

Be carefull what you say. You never know the extent of our craziness :P

Oh, I'll bet she does, too. :laughing:

There seems to be a bit of "I want this date" happening, and, I fear, there will be much more. Folks, we need to keep in mind that this is Ambrosia's expidition. We are all just litter/spear/fan/grape carriers.

Let's leave the choice of date in her more than capable hands, and accept what she decides. If some of us can't make it, then we can't make it.

My 2% of a dollar.

What he said!

Wow. This post really rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe those who have the luxury of being able to plan their schedules four months in advance, right down to the weekend and day, should go ahead and plan on finding the cache on June 17th. Ever since becoming a divorced parent, I don't have that luxury. When my schedule does firm up, and I hope that happens soon, I'll make the appropriate contacts.

Edited because I screwed this post up, and apparently the previous one due to the angry reaction I got.

I don't know, if you are going to suggest an event cache, I think it's a good idea to have a date in mind. If you don't have a date in mind, and want to see who might be interested, and when, that's OK, too. Just say so.

Whoo, now I'm scared to come, and I like Ambrosia just fine. Friends? It's a cool walk.

Edited by bumblingbs

I don't know, if you are going to suggest an event cache, I think it's a good idea to have a date in mind. If you don't have a date in mind, and want to see who might be interested, and when, that's OK, too. Just say so.

Go back and re-read Ambrosia's posts, beginning with the OP for this thread. Over and over, she tried telling everyone that this thread was just a heads-up just to see who might be interested in coming along. She also did not introduce the idea of having an "event cache."

We are looking at sometime in June, but I'm not absolutely certain which weekend yet.

I think that Ambrosia is quite capable of defining the topic of her own forum thread.

Edited by The Leprechauns

I would LOVE to go (minus the quads)!! I wouldn't do that to all ya all. Just add my name to your list. Party of one. :blink:

Why? Scotty did great on our trip in '05. :blink:

10b01a62-90e0-4c90-bffc-6b9f75ae6d9b.jpg

Of course he didn't actually walk or ride a bike, he was a passenger for that trip.

Do they make bicycles built for five???

Too bad I don't have my quad runabout stroller anymore. Besides they wouldn't fit in it anymore and it would be a bit too heavy to push with four 5 year olds. They're staying home with Daddy. I don't want to be with any crybabies!

b1fe75b7-56ca-42ac-b4ab-8db63c8d17a3.jpg

The boys at 5 months old.

Do they make bicycles built for five???

You could have another kid or two and still all ride together on this one! :signalviolin:

bikeabove1.jpg

edited to say: Hmmm...it figures, their website (www.conferencebike.com) seems to be down now. The picture was of a bike that has 7 seats, and the riders sit in a circle.

Edited by GeekGirl

I completly understand that this is all Ambrosia's expidition. But with my time frame to get this unquie cache done would be only the weekend of June 17th- I'm looking into flying from Tampa, Florida on the 16th to 18th, stay at the America's Best Value Airport Inn have a rental car for my stay-all for like 470.00 (rndtrip ticket/hotel/car rental)- so if there is people willing to do this hike on the 17th- I'm going to book it soon!!- unless I can find a local that is willing to be my tour guide for the weekend and I'll do the driving- wouldn't want to do this cache on my own! Its gets old talking to myself on the trails-ahahah

If you're adding names to a list, please add mine!

Thanks,

Josh

Forty-n-Eight

Just adding my 2 cents in here. Ambrosia, me and KidAce would love to meet up with you to do the Ape Cache, and agree that its your plan for the entire thing. However, we have been looking at doing the west side from the ape cache, and wouldn't mind trying to sync up a "Iron Horse revisited" for the same date and work on meeting up with you and your team for lunch, breakfast, or whatever.

So, if people are interested in doing the west side of the Ape Cache, between Hyak and Rattlesnake lake, get in touch with us and we will try and sync up with Ambrosia!

cheers,

KidAce and Poppa J

We have a slightly earlier window of opportunity. We are flying to Seattle on April 7 and plan to go find the Ape-In-The-Snow from the Annette Lake Trailhead. I am told that this is 6 miles of rough and relatively steep trail, on Easter Sunday, April 8. There is some flexibility in the date depending on weather. We'll miss the tunnel, but if you are interested in hiking and looking in the snow and mud, please drop us a line.

We have a slightly earlier window of opportunity. We are flying to Seattle on April 7 and plan to go find the Ape-In-The-Snow from the Annette Lake Trailhead. I am told that this is 6 miles of rough and relatively steep trail, on Easter Sunday, April 8. There is some flexibility in the date depending on weather. We'll miss the tunnel, but if you are interested in hiking and looking in the snow and mud, please drop us a line.

A word of warning about the Annette Lake trail. You will come across what may look like the Iron Horse Trail part of the way up. Be careful. The real trail is fairly wide and this false trail is not bikeable. Look across the roadway and pick up the trail there. If you turn left too early you will have to cross the creek. If you follow the correct trail you will come to a bridge across the creek. Do not turn left on any trail until after you cross the bridge.

Others have made that mistake and gotten very wet.

A word of warning about the Annette Lake trail. You will come across what may look like the Iron Horse Trail part of the way up. Be careful. The real trail is fairly wide and this false trail is not bikeable. Look across the roadway and pick up the trail there. If you turn left too early you will have to cross the creek. If you follow the correct trail you will come to a bridge across the creek. Do not turn left on any trail until after you cross the bridge.

Others have made that mistake and gotten very wet.

MarcusArelius told me a while back that there can be some avalanche risk on the Annette Lake trail. Is that the case, or was he pulling my leg (as usual)? It's one reason I haven't gone snowshoeing there this winter.

We are flying to Seattle on April 7 and plan to go find the Ape-In-The-Snow from the Annette Lake Trailhead. I am told that this is 6 miles of rough and relatively steep trail, on Easter Sunday, April 8.

To clarify, the route is roughly 6 miles round-trip total when starting from the Annette Lake Trailhead. About half of that is along the relatively flat and wide Iron Horse Trail.

There is virtually no avalanche danger on the section of the trail below the railroad grade.

Is it for sure then, if we do the cache in June, that it's 6 miles round trip instead of 4? Is this absolutely confirmed, because I've heard it either way.

The tunnel itself is 2.3 miles long, there's about a .25 approach and then the distance to the cache, so 6 miles sounds about right.

Is it for sure then, if we do the cache in June, that it's 6 miles round trip instead of 4? Is this absolutely confirmed, because I've heard it either way.

The tunnel itself is 2.3 miles long, there's about a .25 approach and then the distance to the cache, so 6 miles sounds about right.

I believe it was nearly .5 from the tunnel to the cache...if memory serves me correctly

Ugh. 6 miles is much longer than I had originally thought.

The other thing I'm confused and concerned about. Scenario: We somehow figure out how to get me a small motorized vehicle or some such thing. Other people are talking about biking, because it's so long. How would we stay in a group? Bikes would be so much faster. And I'm not even sure if anyone was wanting to walk. Sounds like my vehicle would not be with the group at all. :laughing:

To clarify, the route is roughly 6 miles round-trip total when starting from the Annette Lake Trailhead. About half of that is along the relatively flat and wide Iron Horse Trail.

There is virtually no avalanche danger on the section of the trail below the railroad grade.

What about the trail that goes to Annette Lake, rather than APE cache? I should have been more clear that's what I was wondering about.

MarcusArelius told me a while back that there can be some avalanche risk on the Annette Lake trail. Is that the case, or was he pulling my leg (as usual)? It's one reason I haven't gone snowshoeing there this winter.

What I said was there is only one spot that I would worry about which is a couple hundred feet where the trail crosses a chute right before the Annette lake trail cache. I would worry but it would probably be safe if you were carefull and didn't linger. The rest of the trail is in the trees so no worries there.

Thoose cheap snow shoes Criminal linked to look pretty tempting....

What I said was there is only one spot that I would worry about which is a couple hundred feet where the trail crosses a chute right before the Annette lake trail cache. I would worry but it would probably be safe if you were carefull and didn't linger. The rest of the trail is in the trees so no worries there.

Thoose cheap snow shoes Criminal linked to look pretty tempting....

Those were kid size.

You have to get shoes that will bear your weight including backpack.

The other thing I'm confused and concerned about. Scenario: We somehow figure out how to get me a small motorized vehicle or some such thing. Other people are talking about biking, because it's so long. How would we stay in a group? Bikes would be so much faster. And I'm not even sure if anyone was wanting to walk. Sounds like my vehicle would not be with the group at all. :laughing:

I did the Iron Horse trail with a dear friend who was unable to walk or bike. We arranged with the park to use a non gas powered vehicle on the trail. We found a place that rented golf carts with a range long enough to do the full route. (I still have the name of that place, btw)

We had a small group that stayed with the golf cart on our bikes and it wasn't too slow for us. We'll just need to get with the park (I also have their number) and get permission.

I did the Iron Horse trail with a dear friend who was unable to walk or bike. We arranged with the park to use a non gas powered vehicle on the trail. We found a place that rented golf carts with a range long enough to do the full route. (I still have the name of that place, btw)

We had a small group that stayed with the golf cart on our bikes and it wasn't too slow for us. We'll just need to get with the park (I also have their number) and get permission.

Wander Lost to the rescue? What great info, and how handy you have it all at your disposal still. Good stuff.

The other thing I'm confused and concerned about. Scenario: We somehow figure out how to get me a small motorized vehicle or some such thing. Other people are talking about biking, because it's so long. How would we stay in a group? Bikes would be so much faster. And I'm not even sure if anyone was wanting to walk. Sounds like my vehicle would not be with the group at all. :blink:

Bikes can go slow, too... no need to race to the cache and bike.. or even in circles. Personally, it'd be easier on me to bike than walk... but 6 miles I could go either way. Don't know about me friends, though.

Question for anyone to reply! I'm flying up and renting a car- what trail is closer to the APE cache?? And is it one that I need a permit to park at?? If so - where / who do I go to get a temp for a day. trying to get all things organized before the flight up there.

I don't know that one trail is any shorter than the other, but the Iron Horse Trail is much easier. You can park at the Iron Horse State Park lot on the east end of the tunnel for no charge. If you use the Annette Lake trail, you will be doing some climbing on a fairly rough trail with lots of rocks and roots to go over. The trail head there requires a NW Forest Pass which can be picked up at REI locally. Those are $5 for a one day pass. I doubt that the tunnel is open yet. When are you planning on doing this?

Oh it will be open by the time I come. (June 17th) I was just curious, since I see 3 diffrent spots you can park and head for the cache on the cache page itself. I just want the quickest since I want to see as much of Washington State as I can- 1st time up this way and prop a while before I will be able to do such a trip again..

If you use the Annette Lake trail, you will be doing some climbing on a fairly rough trail with lots of rocks and roots to go over.

We are set to tackle APE from the Annette Lake Trail in about 10 days. Do you have any idea about snow conditions this year? Past logs have read both deep snow and no snow in previous years for April.