APE Cache this summer

Ambrosia

I have been hoping to go to the NW Ape Cache, Mission 9: Tunnel of Light, this summer. I thought that it would be fun if others wanted to join me.

I mentioned it in the Ape thread in the main forums, and just now I saw that my trip was mentioned in a cache note on the cache page as well. I have received some emails from people wanting to know my plans. I apologize that I haven't gotten back to them.

I have an auto-immune disease that may keep me from doing this cache. In that case, I will have someone else lead this cache trip and it will still go on with all the people who want to go!

We are looking at sometime in June, but I'm not absolutely certain which weekend yet. I am hoping to know the specifics soon. I just wanted to start this thread to get everyone thinking and planning.

I think it would be great for someone to host an event dinner afterwards, although I don't know what sort of amenities are nearby.

The topic of the APE cache came up in another thread ("Plan my Seattle vacation"). I was planning on setting up an event cache on Sunday, June 17 before going to find the cache - breakfast at Twede's (Twin Peaks) Cafe in North Bend. I know the guidelines say that event caches are not for gathering to find a cache, so I'll just make it a meet and greet.

I'm looking in to renting bikes (not having a lot of luck), which would make the seven mile roundtrip a nice coast and return on a shuttle. I need to call Iron Horse State Park to find out if any bike rental places still run a shuttle service.

Edited by CacheNCarryMA

You can check out Shop99er's Calendar of Pacific Northwest Geocaching Events. This might help with planning.

Sounds like fun. :P The Tribe has had this one on their To Do List. Will be watching to see this come together.

That's not going to help much in this situation. The timing is going to depend entirely on a guest arrival... so much so, I'll be scheduling my usual HOTM to not conflict with this event.

Edited by TotemLake

I will do my very best to be there. :P

I got dibs on the front right pole to carry Ambrosia's sedan chair. Does anyone know the overhead clearance inside the tunnel?

Well if Lep is gonna be there I might have to do this one again. I'll start working on getting back into shape for the death march stroll through the tunnel.

I'll take the left rear pole.

Here is a pic with talks2animals and the tunnel.

Perspective.jpg

Ambrosia on her sedan chair should fit.

I hear that someone in Ambrosia's local area has a couple of nice recumbants :P

Should we re-incarnate the Iron horse ride down the west side?

Did a little bird tell you that?

I think he was at the last Iron Horse Ride (which he organized) as well as those two people with the "bark-o-lounger" bikes and their riders... :P

I think he was at the last Iron Horse Ride (which he organized) as well as those two people with the "bark-o-lounger" bikes and their riders... :P

You all making fun of my lawn chair on wheels? :P

You all making fun of my lawn chair on wheels? :D

Yes... Yes we are. :D:P

Glad to see all the responses!

I have been planning on going to the Ape cache for several months now. I had enough people say that they wanted to go, too, and so many emails, that I thought that I should start a thread and make it a group effort.

I would have started this thread sooner, but June seemed so far away. Now I see that I should have started it earlier, to avoid confusion! I hope that things work out with schedules and different agendas.

I'm perfectly happy to go with just my family. Whoever wants to tag along is welcome. There doesn't need to be an event dinner, although I'll probably be eating with people afterwards if they come with me. And it's hard to pass off a chance to make it official. :D:D

Of course, this is all depending on if I can go. :( At this point, I'll have to have transportation to the actual cache. I don't think that I could make a 4 mile walk again.

Criminal and I did the return trip through the tunnel without light. Talk about fun ... that was some serious kind of dark!

I went a few years ago with Belleterre. Part way through, she turned off her flashlight. I AM a Bumbling B, and I was scared, but I held onto the back of her shirt, padded along after her, and it was, indeed, a cool walk. Yes. if you can, lights off.

Criminal and I did the return trip through the tunnel without light. Talk about fun ... that was some serious kind of dark!

I went a few years ago with Belleterre. Part way through, she turned off her flashlight. I AM a Bumbling B, and I was scared, but I held onto the back of her shirt, padded along after her, and it was, indeed, a cool walk. Yes. if you can, lights off.

My husband and I also did it in the dark :ph34r: Made it all the way without light. Just have to make sure others can see you so you dont get run over. We just waited until people got close then turned on our lights. Scared the **** out of a lot people doing that. :ph34r:

Of course, this is all depending on if I can go. :ph34r: At this point, I'll have to have transportation to the actual cache. I don't think that I could make a 4 mile walk again.

I hate to say this, but the walk is closer to six miles than it is to four.

Everyone told me 4! :ph34r: Eh, 2 - 4 - 6, it's all the same to me. I most likely cannot do it. I can't at this moment, anyhow, and June is too far away to judge. So I need to prepare for the worst.

Of course, this is all depending on if I can go. :ph34r: At this point, I'll have to have transportation to the actual cache. I don't think that I could make a 4 mile walk again.

Everyone told me 4! :ph34r: Eh, 2 - 4 - 6, it's all the same to me. I most likely cannot do it. I can't at this moment, anyhow, and June is too far away to judge. So I need to prepare for the worst.

It's been a while since I was there, but I remember it as pretty much flat all the way. Heck, if you can sit in a wheelchair, or be carried like an Egyptian princess, it's do-able. You know better than to say no.

I don't do events. June 17th is my birthday. I am intrigued by the idea of participating. For sure, I'm not coming if Ambrosia doesn't.

It's been a while since I was there, but I remember it as pretty much flat all the way. Heck, if you can sit in a wheelchair, or be carried like an Egyptian princess, it's do-able. You know better than to say no.

I don't do events. June 17th is my birthday. I am intrigued by the idea of participating. For sure, I'm not coming if Ambrosia doesn't.

:wub::huh:

I could go for the Egyptian princess litter thingy. Complete with handsome slaves to carry it, ostrich fans, and someone feeding me grapes. :o

Of course, this is all depending on if I can go. :huh: At this point, I'll have to have transportation to the actual cache. I don't think that I could make a 4 mile walk again.

Everyone told me 4! :wub: Eh, 2 - 4 - 6, it's all the same to me. I most likely cannot do it. I can't at this moment, anyhow, and June is too far away to judge. So I need to prepare for the worst.

:wub::o

I could go for the Egyptian princess litter thingy. Complete with handsome slaves to carry it, ostrich fans, and someone feeding me grapes. :ph34r:

I'll do the grape feeding part...that way the slave boys can carry me too... :wub::wub::ph34r:

Of course, this is all depending on if I can go. :wub: At this point, I'll have to have transportation to the actual cache. I don't think that I could make a 4 mile walk again.

:o:wub:

I could go for the Egyptian princess litter thingy. Complete with handsome slaves to carry it, ostrich fans, and someone feeding me grapes. :wub:

I'll do the grape feeding part...that way the slave boys can carry me too... :ph34r::wub::wub:

Good thing I wasn't eating anything, I would've spit it all over the screen. Thanks for the laugh. :huh::o:huh:

I mentioned it in the Ape thread in the main forums, and just now I saw that my trip was mentioned in a cache note on the cache page as well. I have received some emails from people wanting to know my plans. I apologize that I haven't gotten back to them.

Sorry about putting you on the spot, the note was mine. If you like, I can take over.

Of course, this is all depending on if I can go. :grin: At this point, I'll have to have transportation to the actual cache. I don't think that I could make a 4 mile walk again.

Everyone told me 4! ;) Eh, 2 - 4 - 6, it's all the same to me. I most likely cannot do it. I can't at this moment, anyhow, and June is too far away to judge. So I need to prepare for the worst.

:unsure::P

I could go for the Egyptian princess litter thingy. Complete with handsome slaves to carry it, ostrich fans, and someone feeding me grapes. B)

I'll do the grape feeding part...that way the slave boys can carry me too... B):D:blink:

Good thing I wasn't eating anything, I would've spit it all over the screen. Thanks for the laugh. :grin::PB)

Sometimes Cheers rules apply here too... :P

Once the date is nailed, I would like to go, if the Mrs lets me. And, I'll see if -Hawk- will go with me.

You Betcha I will go! Snookie74 wants to go as well,She has been wanting to do this for a year or so. A return trip for me has always been a thing I would do. Thanks Mark, for letting me know about this thread....I missed it somehow. Add two to the trip please :unsure:

Looks like there is a breakfast contingent, a dinner contingent, a walking group, a biking group -- all a matter of getting them together in some fashion. Of course, if the walking group is walking without lights, and the biking group is coming fast....ooooh....that would be one way to get together. Don't spill the grapes, Allanon.

Since lots of people are now paying attention to this thread, I'll add my unrequested 2 cents. :laughing: Accomplishing Mission 9 as a large group is indeed quite a lot of fun. That's how I did it the first time. The trail is perfect for group camaraderie. Videotaping of the camaraderie, even! (Be quiet, Moun10Bike! :huh: )

I'll also add that accomplishing Mission 9 in a very small group (of two people, say) can also be lot of fun. That's how I did it the second time. More fun, maybe - depending on your personal preferences. The tunnel's dark powers are best experienced this way. It's hard to creep yourself out with 50 flashlights, 50 conversations, and such. It is harder, though, to escape a hungry Fen Dweller in a very small group.

So, when an Ambrosia date is set, and some people may not be able to make it then, remember that the option to go on another date is still there. (Or even, on the same date but at a different time.)

Voting's fine, and I will take it into consideration by all means. But this was a trip that I was planning for myself months ago (ODragon and I started talking about it in October while visiting with each other in TN), and started this thread so that people could come along if they like. It's not a democracy. :laughing: I have a small window of days to decide between.

However, if I don't do it on the 17th, then it looks like CacheNCarryMA has been planning for it that day, so everyone can go on that trip! Good to have choices. :huh: