Coming to Paris

guiderchachi

Bonjour,

I am from Newfoundland, Canada. I will be in Paris for 3 days in April of 2007. I am having difficulty finding caches in English. Where can I get help? I am not sure where I am staying yet, but any general assistance will be appreciated. I am hoping to do a cache or two while I am there.

Thanks in advance,

Guiderchachi

I will be in Paris for 3 days in April of 2007. I am having difficulty finding caches in English.

I can translate some cache descriptions for you (doing the best I can, as I'm German). Which ones would you like to do? Please contact me by eMail.

You'll find my email address in my profile on geocaching.com.

Regards

n0x0n

Bonjour Guiderchachi,

Tu as mis ton post dans la section "French Speaking" où il est mieux d'utiliser le Français si tu veux de l'aide !!! Ton Anglais semble pourtant très bon...

Tu cherches quoi F --> GB ou GB --> F ?

Dans le cas où notre ami Allemand n0x0n aurait certaines difficultés, je peux aussi aider.

Ne pas oublier non plus le Forum du site Français Lien

Cordialement,

Gérard

gperlier.. je crois que notre ami Guiderchachi ne parle pas français, d'où le besoin d'un traducteur de cache à description française vers l'anglais. (C'est ma compréhension!)

Merci,

You are correct. I do not speak french. I can slowly translate some words into english to get the general meaning. I know what you wrote, but I do not know what the other person wrote.

I just don't know how to find cache information for Paris. When I do a search, I get the whole country, I don't know how to narrow it down. If I had coordinates or waypoints, I may be able to do something.

Thanks for trying.

Guiderchachi

Do you know where you'll be staying? Or near which big monument (Eiffel tower, Arc de Triomphe, Museum..)

To start you off, the Eiffel Tower is at: N 48 51.492, E 2 17.662

If you need more help, as gperlier was saying, you can try to post on the France Forum at: http://forum.geocaching-france.com/

Thank you. I looked there but it was all in French. I guess if I am stuck I can use an online translator...which is what I did with gperlier's post.

We won't know for a couple of weeks where we are staying. We are flying out of St. John's, NL to either Montreal or Toronto and then to London. After 4 days in England, we go to Paris for 3 then return home. It will be busy so I have to be prepared ahead of time if I want to cache.

I'd look for easy rated traditionals.. they are usually there with little need for translation and yes, on-line translation can get you the "essential" meaning..

When you find out where you'll be staying and know of the caches you want to visit, a "Write note" on the cache page asking for a translation could be a solution.

Hello Teacher Guiderchachi :( ,

My apologies for my misunderstanding about your post, but you wrote "I am having difficulty finding caches in English".

The above map (centered on the cache GCZB7M near the Eiffel tower) shows you how many caches are available in and around Paris.

2ca38c9c-d305-473e-b114-6e1cbe6589dc.jpg

Within 3 days, it seems difficult to visit all (even if 3/3 & 24/24) !!!

As indicated by "Papa de la GrosseFamille", I also think that you have to determine:

.1/ Where you will be located,

2/ Which areas you want to visit,

3/ Which caches are near your visited locations...

The French site (Geocache in France), even if it's in French can help you in defining your way path.

All caches into this site are linked with the GC.com. It's only an informative site, not a parrallele one !!!

Let me take an example:

Tea 4 Tour (Eiffel) which is available in English (GCZB7M) is accessible Here

21ca872d-2528-40de-b7ef-55ee87fd860a.jpg

On the bottom left you can find the other most nearby caches.

On the bottom right, you can find the link to GC.com to look at the official listing.

An other way is to use coordinates as indicated by "Papa de la GrosseFamille"...

If you use his coordinates, you'll find out:

5edd8684-33d6-4e2c-8484-ed0d9d375cb1.jpg

It's now up to you to define your trip and contact owners by a note asking for translation...

Feel free to ask me more info regarding GC in France. It's a pleasure :D ...

Regards,

Gérard

PS: If you wish, as soon as you have identified the non-translated caches you would like to find out, I can arrange for a translation.

Wow! :( You are so awesome! That is fantastic help. Sorry if my first post left you confused. I know I need to know where we will be staying but that is up to the tour company we are travelling with. They don't tell us that until a few weeks before we go. After that I can only hope to hit a couple when I have a bit of free time. These group tours are pretty full of activities. With my luck, we will end up staying outside the city and I will have to start my search all over again.

Thanks again and I will let you know how things progress.

Guiderchachi

Edited by guiderchachi
I know I need to know where we will be staying but that is up to the tour company we are travelling with. They don't tell us that until a few weeks before we go.
Hi guiderchachi,

if you hit Paris before knowing where you're staying and therefore do not know any cache locations, just give me a call. I can then (hopefully) look for quick not-too-difficult caches in your vicinity and tell you all you need to know to find them.

Regards

n0x0n

PS: Phone number in seperate PM

if you hit Paris before knowing where you're staying and therefore do not know any cache locations, just give me a call. I can then (hopefully) look for quick not-too-difficult caches in your vicinity and tell you all you need to know to find them.

Regards

n0x0n

PS: Phone number in seperate PM

Thank you. I will definitely know by the endof March where we will be located.

Thanks to everyone along this forum trail also. Very new to geocaching and we're landing in Nice in June then onto northern Italy. I've managed to come up with some geographic locations for the main cities we'll be visiting then used the "Map it" option on www.geocaching.com to locate some possibilities. I'm hoping that my 11 caches so far is a higher number before starting to look for them in a language that I haven't spoken since school 30 years ago.

Joyce

Thanks to everyone along this forum trail also. Very new to geocaching and we're landing in Nice in June then onto northern Italy. I've managed to come up with some geographic locations for the main cities we'll be visiting then used the "Map it" option on www.geocaching.com to locate some possibilities. I'm hoping that my 11 caches so far is a higher number before starting to look for them in a language that I haven't spoken since school 30 years ago.

Joyce

I am glad my little query has helped others find some info. Since discovering this sport, I have found help in many locations. I can't wait to try to find some of the caches.

Happy trails!

Guiderchachi

May be on these maps :

Paris (visit link)

Nice (visit link)

Thanks for this great thread! My daughter and I are new to Geocaching and are going to backpack/trainride from Paris to Madrid to Milan to Zurich. Of course, Paris is a main hub (and most beautiful city!) and I appreciate the map eolas left above - made it simple for me to pick caches in Paris near where we would be staying - thanks!!! Now off to the other forums for Spain, Italy and Switzerland to see if I can get help finding caches there. We plan to leave caches translated in both English and the native lanaguage since we have a few months to work on our cache translations. Looks like geocaching is a truely international sport.

Thanks!

KitKat and Stargirl

Edited by jkellum