What would change about Geocaching

Totem Clan

There was a story on the news this morning about how most people want to change something about themselves, and their lives. Of course, the way they looked and a different job topped the list.

Anyhow, this got me to thinking, if you had the power to change any *one* thing about the game/sport of geocaching what would it be? Also, why that one thing? And remember your trying to improve geocaching with your change.

I would prevent people who have absolutely no common sense from hiding caches. This would greatly reduce the number of that cause us problems by getting blown up by bomb squads, or are otherwise placed where they shouldn't be. It would also eliminated poorly chosen containers and hiding places and reduce cache theft.

I would prevent people who have absolutely no common sense from hiding caches. This would greatly reduce the number of that cause us problems by getting blown up by bomb squads, or are otherwise placed where they shouldn't be. It would also eliminated poorly chosen containers and hiding places and reduce cache theft.

:huh:

I said it before and I'll say it again,

I agree with briansnat.

:huh:

We do need some kind of "Geocaching Idiot Law". :cry:

Along the same lines as Briansnat:

Develop some kind of test that must be passed about the guidelines. Include photos of appropriate cache containers. Also photos and addtional examples of inappropriate locations. Be consistent about this with all users.

Not realistic I know but would be nice.

# 2 - Limit micros to no more than 33.33% (totally arbitary number) of any one users hides.

Geocachers would have to 'find' a set number of caches, maybe 30-50 before they could hide a cache and all cache hides would be have to be inspected by at least two or three cachers before being published.

I would have agreed with you on this before I moved to Grand Forks, ND.

When I moved here there were only 23 caches within 50 miles of here. I understand and agree with your reasoning, but it just won't work in all cases. Too bad though.

I do wish something could be done to improve the quality of hides.

Establish a "Cache Hide" Mentor program for new cachers. Cache mentors would be volunteers (approved by reviewers) that have X number of hides under their belt.

Before a new cacher could hide a cache, a mentor would need to be assigned in order to review the physical location and the cache container. This would apply to the first 2 - 3 caches a new cacher would hide. After that it would be assumed they have been given enough guidance to not place poorly designed caches (pipe caches, glad-ware containers, coffee can with leaky lids, etc...).

The mentors would likely come from one of the local geocaching organizations. If there is no local organization or their are no mentors in the area, a remote mentor could be established that would closely review pictures of the cache container/location of the hide.

The mentor would interface with the reviewer to ensure that the new cache hider knows what's going on.

While this would certainly extend the amount of time it would take to get your first few caches approved. It would greatly enhance the caching experience for all involved.

I get tingly every time I hear Briansnat say "bomb squad."

Edited by Torry

An interesting Geocaching enhancement for Torry. All caches, when opened, should have a recording of Briansnat's voice saying "bomb squad." just on the off-chance that Torry happens to find that cache.

Edit: change quote.

Edited by Moose Mob

There was a story on the news this morning about how most people want to change something about themselves, and their lives. Of course, the way they looked and a different job topped the list.

Anyhow, this got me to thinking, if you had the power to change any *one* thing about the game/sport of geocaching what would it be? Also, why that one thing? And remember your trying to improve geocaching with your change.

Very tough question to answer. Are we trying to improve the one thing for a single user, for everyone for the business to grow?

I have some ideas on all aspects but they tend to go against the basic fundamentals of how everything started but;

-The only thing that I would personally change is to remove the archived caches from the users cache hide page - place all the archived caches for the user in it's own link or tab.

-Ban any members email account if they mark GC mail as SPAM

-Remove the ability to simply watch a listing, force everyone to use bookmarks (PM's can have public bookmarks and NPM's can have 1 priviate bookmark with a maximum 5 caches)

oops that was more than 1 thing - whatever

Edited by bogleman

Very tough question to answer. Are we trying to improve the one thing for a single user, for everyone for the business to grow?

I have some ideas on all aspects but they tend to go against the basic fundamentals of how everything started but;

-The only thing that I would personally change is to remove the archived caches from the users cache hide page - place all the archived caches for the user in it's own link or tab.

-Ban any members email account if they mark GC mail as SPAM

-Remove the ability to simply watch a listing, force everyone to use bookmarks (PM's can have public bookmarks and NPM's can have 1 priviate bookmark with a maximum 5 caches)

oops that was more than 1 thing - whatever

Either or. Just what would you change, if you could change anything

Remove completely any competitive nature of the hobby. This would make it so folks would only be placing and hunting caches for the pure enjoyment of the activity.

Here's more than one:

1. Ability to filter out micros when searching.

2. If you put a micro out, you must acknowledge that it is not a real cache and that anybody can hide one.

3. You must place a minimum amount of $20 in each micro hidden, then when it is found you must replenish the $20 for the next cacher. This process must continue for the life of the micro as an apology for putting the micro out in the first place. (Oops I have 2 micros out.....but I am in the works to replace them with full sized containers....so please don't email me about this statement.)

4. Any caches disabled for more than 1 month are automatically archived and cannot be unarchived (not to mention any areas such as Southaven and Horn Lake, MS which never maintain their caches :mad: )

5. Require a minimum of 50 finds to hide a cache. Too many cachers find one cache and hide 10 poor caches and never maintain them.

Ok, I'm through complaining, on with the game!! :)

Remove individual find count totals from individual cache pages or at least give a player a chance to op out of the numbers game.

Ultimately, I believe the find numbers found next to ever user's name on every cache page has been the catalyst of MicroSpew, pocket caches, the death of virtuals, and 90% of the angest in the forums.

Remove completely any competitive nature of the hobby. This would make it so folks would only be placing and hunting caches for the pure enjoyment of the activity.

Properly managed competition would increase the quality of the caches. What we REALLY need to do is implement an *EFFECTIVE* rating system on the site. Personally, I would try harder to make my hides unique if I knew folks would be rating the cache. Also, knowing in advance on what criteria the cache would be rated would give folks indicators of quality and make them think about those things while putting together their hide.

In addition to that benefit, there would be search benefits so that finders could filter their results based on the cache ratings. -- Removing competition is NEVER a good idea. Competition can be very friendly. "Bob Cacher" put out a cache last week that was awesome! I'm going to use some of his ideas and make mine even better! Competition drives innovation. When you only compete against yourself, you're missing a whole world of ideas.

I'd remove the frame of mind that many cachers (complainers) in these forums seem to have, that other people are responsible for how much fun they have.

That should end all the "Boo hoo, I found a cache that failed to entertain me, therefore it can't possibly entertain anyone else, and so it's a lame cache that should never have been placed. Waaaa." threads.

Personally, I would try harder to make my hides unique if I knew folks would be rating the cache.

you don't do your best job just for the sake of it?

gosh, i try to make each one of my hides the best i can do already.

and maybe it's a surprise, but i have to agree with CR on this one. i think people trying to get better numbers than other people are responsible for many of the worst parts of the sport.

i don't think it's going to be possible to cut out the competitve nature; people will just make up new ways to get competitive.

you even hear people one-upping over GPS models. where do these yahoos come from?

just remember this: i can be less competitive than you.

I've noticed, and not just in this thread, that a lot of what people see as a problem with Geocaching, is not the guidelines or the caches. It seems to be the *cachers* that are the problem. More specifically the attitudes that some of them have. They think that numbers, or lack thereof, equates to ability, or lack thereof. Therefore they think they should tell everyone else how to do it, because they're the best, at least in their own minds.

Maybe we don't need to change caching. Maybe we need to change the self-righteous cachers. Maybe we all need to look in the mirror before we start pointing fingers.

I have to agree with "Ready or not" and "Mushtang" As a friend of mine once said... "Oh what a wonderful place this would be, if everyone was just like me..." then he laughed hesterically at the obsurdity of his own statement. If you don't like a certain type of cache then don't look for it, and please quit crying about it. Instead of "boo hooing" all the time no matter the topic why not try suggesting something positive like:

1. New search filters for caches.. (Micros seperated from traditional and/or multi caches)

2. Revamp of the rating system we use (exz. maybe more options for difficulty and terrain to 1 thru 10 instead of 1 thru 5)

3. I like the idea of Mentors someone suggested to help newer people to make better caches and avoid the pitfalls so if you fit into the crybaby senario why not help the newbie with suggestions rather then complaining.

This is all my own honest opinion to improve and better this game which I think we all love. Quit crying and start helping with positive input ... instead of the same ole lamer posts on the same ole things.

Edit: 4. Maybe a cache finder vote on the cache as far as difficulty and terrain or fun factor although logs can tell alot too.

and I agree totally with the OP

Edited by bilbad

... Maybe we need to change the self-righteous cachers. ...

Ok, busted. I have taken apart a sprinker head that wasn't fake and felt stupid when I did. That does qualify as a dumbass attack in my book and is ecactly the kind of thing that caused me to post what I did.

Now that's just funny. :)

At least you admit that you made a mistake though. Sometimes I get the feeling that some of the folks around here think their <family friendly> don't stink. Maybe it's just the way I'm reading their posts.

We should learn from our mistakes and pass on those lessons to others.

Maybe we should find more ways to help one another. Try to building up caching community instead of tearing it down.

I don't know. I'm I off base here?

No more junk caches. I know what the back of a strip mall or a walmart parking lot looks like. I want to find things that I didn't know were there, or just an excuse to walk down a park trail with something to look for.

If there weren't so many junk "urban" caches nearby, I would have actually started caching sooner.

There are about 10 within a 5 mile radius of me in ridiculous places...but there is a park 1 mile away without a single cache.... :)