How often to calibrate compass?

Whenever you change batteries and whenever you suspect it's acting goofy. I usually do a calibration if I have not used the GPS for awhile (heck it only takes 30 seconds) . I've gone all day on one calibration. I've calibrated several times in one day. And sometimes I just turn the darn thing off. But I wouldn't want to buy a unit without one.

Whenever you change batteries and whenever you suspect it's acting goofy. I usually do a calibration if I have not used the GPS for awhile (heck it only takes 30 seconds) . I've gone all day on one calibration. I've calibrated several times in one day. And sometimes I just turn the darn thing off. But I wouldn't want to buy a unit without one.

I second what CR said. Definately after every battery change.

I'll do it if I am heading out on a long trip so there is no question about the calibration.

I didn't read carefully. Nope. Don't have that. By the way, what happens that makes it need calibration?

I don't think the GPSr manufacturers have ever addressed this question. The speculation is that every new set of batteries might have different magnetic properties, and therefore will cause different distortions in the compass readings, than the last set. Calibrating the electronic compass after replacing a set of batteries corrects for whatever distortion the new batteries cause.

--Larry

I didn't read carefully. Nope. Don't have that. By the way, what happens that makes it need calibration?

The speculation is that every new set of batteries might have different magnetic properties, and therefore will cause different distortions in the compass readings, than the last set. Calibrating the electronic compass after replacing a set of batteries corrects for whatever distortion the new batteries cause.

--Larry

I just moved a battery around a compass and the needle did move. I then placed the battery against a powerful maget I have and when I brought it near the compass again it swung the needle a lot more.

Hey Larry, finally, someone that actually signs their post! Now I believe that I will too. :)

-it

One of the funniest things new cachers do when calibrating their electronic compass is to stand in one spot and turn slowly in a circle to calibrate the compass. They always seem surprised when someone suggests that they simply turn the GPSr in a circle in their hands rather than physically rotating their bodies. :)

(Don't ask me how I know this..........) :mad:

New cachers? I still do it, it's kinda fun. :)

I still do it (turn my body around instead of turning the GPSr), simply because I apparently don't have enough patience to rotate the thing in my hand. I've tried that method, but it keeps griping that I'm turning too fast.

Actually, it yells at me sometimes when I calibrate the compass by rotating my whole body, but I have a higher success rate using that approach. I gotta learn to chill out and slow down! :mad:

--Larry

One of the funniest things new cachers do when calibrating their electronic compass is to stand in one spot and turn slowly in a circle to calibrate the compass. They always seem surprised when someone suggests that they simply turn the GPSr in a circle in their hands rather than physically rotating their bodies. :blink:

(Don't ask me how I know this..........) :rolleyes:

With the iFinders that's how Lowrance tells a person to do it, it puts a line on the screen that sweeps around and you have to keep the line pointing in the same direction while you turn it.

With the compass in my car I had to calibrate it once when the car was fairly new, and I had to drive the car in a circle a couple of times.

I can't calibrate my compass. I get dizzy and fall down. Of course, that could be the wine!

Actually, every once in a while my position indicator starts pointing sideways instead of in the direction of movement. I calibrate, and all is well again.

Several times in a day???

I have not calibrated mine for about a month now and it still points in the correct direction. (Tested by pointing at the same known geographical feature at the same spot)

When you are moving the GPS knows which way is North. Why cannot they program the GPS to self caliberate based on the knowing which way is North?

That's a neat idea, but probably impractical to implement. During the calibration process you would need to to be careful to hold the GPSr exactly level, and pointed in the direction it was moving. Wouldn't have to necessarily to be moving/pointing north though. Given all the discussion we have on the "spin" calibration, can you imagine the discussions on this procedure :rolleyes: Still, it's a capability I would like to have available.

since getting 3.10, my compass acts crazy all the time. the hold level never goes away no matter how level it is. It has to be recalculated often. Never had any problems before, but it's really annoying now, gotta recalibrate for every time I get out of my vehicle. Anybody else having the same problems.