Pocket Query search by County

Dan and Taya

Using a combination of USAPhotoMaps and Terrafetcher, I have found it easier to plan a day of caching by county. Using Terrafetcher I can download maps of an entire county, load a particular county into UPM and select my area of interest.

However, running a PQ based on a radius from zip code or lat/lon may give me several caches in adjacent counties, which I have to move into waypoint and GSAK files for those adjacent counties.

Would it be possible to add a county attribute along with all the other's when posting a new cache?

Thanks,

Dan and Taya

:huh: Here is a macro for use in GSAK that allows you to filter caches based on counties. Just follow the instructions. I've used it for Oklahoma with great success. I've even managed to manipulate the data files for the counties to allow me to determine the pages from the Delorme maps to determine success for the Oklahoma Delorme Challenge.

Cool macro but its missing all of the A counties in Ohio :huh:

:) Here is a macro for use in GSAK that allows you to filter caches based on counties. Just follow the instructions. I've used it for Oklahoma with great success. I've even managed to manipulate the data files for the counties to allow me to determine the pages from the Delorme maps to determine success for the Oklahoma Delorme Challenge.

Nice macro - not perfect but useable.

:) Here is a macro for use in GSAK that allows you to filter caches based on counties. Just follow the instructions. I've used it for Oklahoma with great success. I've even managed to manipulate the data files for the counties to allow me to determine the pages from the Delorme maps to determine success for the Oklahoma Delorme Challenge.

Cool macro but its missing all of the A counties in Ohio :mad:

I've used it for all caches in Ohio and never noticed a problem with the "A" counties. (But we could carry on this discussion at GSAK if you like.)

There is a problem that there are caches in Lake Erie that fall outside the county polygons available at gps-babel.

I've used it for all caches in Ohio and never noticed a problem with the "A" counties. (But we could carry on this discussion at GSAK if you like.)

There is a problem that there are caches in Lake Erie that fall outside the county polygons available at gps-babel.

Actually I just counted the counties that are in the gpsbabel-arc-counties.zip file and noticed that it is missing 7 counties, 6 of them start with an "A" (Allen, Augliaze, Adams, Athens, Ashland, Ashtabula ). I'm not sure what the 8th missing one is.

Edit: I just downloaded it again and it does seem to have all of the counties now.

Edited by Team Dubbin

Has anyone used this macro with GSAK version 7.0.1? I just tried and failed. Out of 55 waypoints, it only updated userdata2 for the first selected cache in the database, and the county was wrong.

I also noticed that the site I got the file gpsbabel-arc-counties.zip from also had a file called gpsbabel-arc-states.zip. I didn't see any mention of it in the macro instructions. I downloaded it but don't know what to do with it. Could that be the problem?

Edited by Dan and Taya

Yes, the macro works fine in V7.

You need to first be sure you create the directory of the place GSAK will place the files. You do that by changing the line which reads "$gPolygonDir = "C:\polygon\". I changed mine to read $gPolygonDir = "C:\gsak\polygons\". Select 'Save and Run' the macro. Now go to your files and look inside the directory that you said to place the files in. You should see a couple of new files there. One would be 'States'. When you download the zip file, you will first need to unzip it. There should be a folder in it titled the 'State' that you have downloaded. Copy the 'State file to the 'States' directory. Now run the macro. All should work

Problem solved. It was the way I built the waypoint name in my last GPX export. I had it set to drop the GC prefix from the waypoint code and some other goodies to manipulate child waypoint codes. This reeks havoc when the macro exports the codes to all.gpx and then comes back to try to find them in the database. If anyone has this problem, make sure you use %code in the waypoint name in the export window of your last export.

The macro worked fine after I figured that out.

Thanks for the mac.

A Pocket Query question: I put in a query today for a route. I have only done 5 or 6 of them since January 1. It won't generate the query: Says I have the Maximum number of queries. Is there a limit of so many per month? Is there something wrong with the site right now? Help would be appreciated. Thanks.

A Pocket Query question: I put in a query today for a route. I have only done 5 or 6 of them since January 1. It won't generate the query: Says I have the Maximum number of queries. Is there a limit of so many per month? Is there something wrong with the site right now? Help would be appreciated. Thanks.

You can save a maximum of 40 queries. Go to your pocket query management page at http://www.geocaching.com/pocket , review the list, and delete a few that you're unlikely to run again.

You can save a maximum of 40 queries. Go to your pocket query management page at http://www.geocaching.com/pocket , review the list, and delete a few that you're unlikely to run again.

:blink: Here is a macro for use in GSAK that allows you to filter caches based on counties. Just follow the instructions. I've used it for Oklahoma with great success. I've even managed to manipulate the data files for the counties to allow me to determine the pages from the Delorme maps to determine success for the Oklahoma Delorme Challenge.

After spending a lot of time trying to get the info that I need, I decided to bite the bullet, and post.

I'm new to this hobby, but am trying to get a handle on all of this info.

I'm a premium member at GC, and have run a few PQ's, and even tried the macro for GSAK, that was mentioned in a post here, but I'm having problems.

What I am trying to do is run a pocket query that will retrieve ONLY the caches for a specific county, within a specific state.

After running the macro for GSAK, that was posted here, I check the 'states/Indiana' folder, and I see all the counties as various size text files. These text files contain lat/long coordinates, which I assume are waypoints?

What I was hoping this macro would do is take my pocket query for the state of indiana, and give me a .gpx file for each county that contained caches, based on my search criteria (i.e., 20 mile radius from my home coordinates).

Maybe it does, and I just don't have it setup correctly, but darned if I can figure it out.

Can someone please help me out?

Thanks....

Jim

Edited by jimdmartin

Jim-

You probably should post this question over at the GSAK support site.

http://gsak.net/board/index.php

But a few quick answers. That file is the points that make up the outline of each individual county. The macro uses those files along with gps-babel to determine which county each cache is in. And then the macro (as written) updates User Data 2 with the county name.

If it is working (which evidently it isn't...but why is best left to gsak.net) you could filter out the state and user data 2 (county) you wanted in GSAK. (Having done that, you can export that selection to a gpx file.)