EDINBURGH: Urban XXL-Cache-Challenge

roolku

The latest increase in the placement of micro or even nano caches in Edinburgh (and I am guilty myself) made me think how nice it would be to have a few more large caches in the centre of town. So when I saw this posting by the German reviewer º in a German geocaching forum: http://www.geoclub.de/ftopic11873-0-asc-0.html I immediately thought to have something similar here.

I am offering a gift of not one, not two, but three shiny geocoins – all un-activated and with individual icons – to the placer of the largest urban cache placed in Edinburgh before the 12th April 2007.

prize.jpg

Requirements:

- traditional large cache according to Groundspeak guidelines

- placed in Edinburgh within a 5km radius of GCHXMH (Crag & Tail)

- published on the www.geocaching.com website between 12/2/2007 and 12/4/2007.

Bonus points are given for:

- size (the bigger the better)

- creative cache containers

- imaginative camouflage

Points are deducted for

- caches placed in parks or other non-urban environments

- caches with a potentially short life span

It is not necessary to place the cache at an attractive location – the cache itself should be the attraction. To give you an idea, here is a very cheeky German geocache in the middle of a roundabout – the local council adapted it as a piece of art: http://www.garbsener-kampfcacher.de/html/the_cube.html But I admit this is hard to beat.

I will make my decision once I have found all the caches that fulfil the condition after 12/4/2007. This is not an official competition in any way but my way of showing appreciation to the efforts of my fellow geocachers.

Thanks for the email, as you are correct that I dont normally look at the forums! An interesting challenge. I spent ages before Xmas trying to find somewhere in the centre to put a regular cache to use as a TB hotel, but couldnt find anywhere that I thought would not pose a security threat. I gave up in the end, but will have to think again now.

On the subject of Geocoins, I have acquired all the remaining stocks of the 4th cache bash coins, so if anyone wants one then let me know.

I've been thinking that people may end up looking at the same locations to place caches. Obviously this will be a wasted exercise for the unlucky person that has not secured their co-ords.

Now I can appreciate that others will not want to give away what their plans are. So do you think we can come up with a way of avoiding clashes with locations?

It's just a thought, do you think it matters?

Now I can appreciate that others will not want to give away what their plans are. So do you think we can come up with a way of avoiding clashes with locations?

I think the best bet is to use the service as offered by Deceangi

If you have a location in mind, submit the coordinates as a new cache. With a request that they be checked to see if they are ok, and mention it's a work in progress. Which ever of the UK Reviewer Team sees it will check the location and Temporarily Disable it, allowing the owner to work away on the cache in their own time. Knowing that the location is protected for them.

Just one of the services the UK Reviewer Team provide :signalviolin:

This would stop others from placing a cache there without making the coordinates public.

It's just a thought, do you think it matters?

It hasn't occurred to me as a potential problem, but I can see how it can potentially be very disappointing if someone puts a lot of effort in only to find the location is already taken.

I have managed to obtain a large container - 28cm diameter, and 40cm deep which I think must count as a "Large" cache (=25L). I am going to place it 4.8 miles from Crag & Tail as a part of the new caches I am placing around Juniper Green for the CITO event on 14th April. However, having re-read the rules I now realise that it is Km not miles that is required. When will we convert you Robert?

I have managed to obtain a large container - 28cm diameter, and 40cm deep which I think must count as a "Large" cache (=25L). I am going to place it 4.8 miles from Crag & Tail as a part of the new caches I am placing around Juniper Green for the CITO event on 14th April. However, having re-read the rules I now realise that it is Km not miles that is required. When will we convert you Robert?

Interesting - I'd got stuck in my head that the limit was 3 miles! A cache I just placed was 3.02 miles from C&G but only 4.86 km so that's my entry :laughing:

I see this challenge is almost complete :ph34r:

How many of the Scottish cachers actually took part in the challenge?

We are coming up to Edinburgh in the near future and it would be good to try and find these urban giant caches, is there a list somewhere of all the new caches that took part? :ph34r:

Or could someone let me have a list of GC numbers for the new caches.

Mandy :D

I see this challenge is almost complete :ph34r:

How many of the Scottish cachers actually took part in the challenge?

We are coming up to Edinburgh in the near future and it would be good to try and find these urban giant caches, is there a list somewhere of all the new caches that took part? :ph34r:

Or could someone let me have a list of GC numbers for the new caches.

Mandy :D

So far we've had GC11TNF (ours) and GC10Z9T. The latter is especially recommended if you have kids. You can't do ours without teaming up with another geocaching team so be careful!

The deadline has passed and I am very pleased with how stimulating my challenge has been. There are four contenders for the prize:

GC10Z9T by Haggis Hunter

GC11TNF by chizu

GC120QB by Edinburgh Walker

GC123H5 by skinnymalinky

They are all very good caches and everyone is special in its own right, but GC120QB beats them by sheer size which was my primary criterion. So the prize will go to Edinburgh Walker and I will pass the coins on to him at the CITO tomorrow .

I hope that the cache setters had as much fun creating the caches as I had finding them and hope they will bring joy to lots of other cachers.