Spokane Cache Machine

eagsc7

I don't mean to be a pest, but I see all the links on the cache page have had the date updated to 25 April (today). Is it safe to say that these are all the final versions, or should I wait until tomorrow?

Hi Lizzy,

No, you are not being a pest! Our Cache Machine Planning Committee is having it's final meeting tonight, which includes going through all the files with a fine toothed comb (we've all be doing it individually and tonight we merge and synchronize everything!) Today's files are pretty close to done... but we want to go through everything together one more time.

So, please stand by as I expect we'll be posting some updates/changes (Spokane cachers keep on hiding cool new caches!) by tomorrow. We'll also have all the latest updates/changes at the pre-event dessert at the Kress Gallery Friday night if you need to use today's updates before hitting the road.

Thanks for asking and see you soon!

I don't mean to be a pest, but I see all the links on the cache page have had the date updated to 25 April (today). Is it safe to say that these are all the final versions, or should I wait until tomorrow?

If you can, wait until tomorrow. We're having a meeting tonight and hopefully, we can finalize the info.

I see all the links on the cache page have had the date updated to 25 April (today). Is it safe to say that these are all the final versions,

Once again, the dates on the page changed but at least one of the files (the route map...the most important one, I think) hasn't actually changed. It's the exact same outdated file (missing 30+ of the caches on the bookmark list) that's been there for nearly a month. So I'm sure not going to waste any more time trying to format it into something useful...I'll wait until it's actually updated instead of just marked as updated.

If you can, wait until tomorrow. We're having a meeting tonight and hopefully, we can finalize the info.

Please do. I printed the map and list that was updated on 4/22, and now, I'm gonna need to do it again.

Howzabout doing us a favor, and put a note on the listing and here when you're done updating? I'm heading out Friday at noon, and won't be able to use any updates listed after that.

And, the last PQ I'll be able to use will be tomorrow.

Thanks for all the work. I know you've gotta be --> :lol:

Edited by Shop99er

I see all the links on the cache page have had the date updated to 25 April (today). Is it safe to say that these are all the final versions,

Once again, the dates on the page changed but at least one of the files (the route map...the most important one, I think) hasn't actually changed. It's the exact same outdated file (missing 30+ of the caches on the bookmark list) that's been there for nearly a month. So I'm sure not going to waste any more time trying to format it into something useful...I'll wait until it's actually updated instead of just marked as updated.

Oh ouch - all those pages I printed aren't even current, missing a bunch of caches? Dang....well, I guess that teaches me to assume current dates mean updated files. I'll rely on my copilots to pull the latest - and agree with Shop99er, would be great if you posted a note here and on the cache listing page, so everyone watching is notified when the files are really, truly updated to final.

Yeah...what Shop99er and hydnsek said! A notice on here and on the listing, as to when things are updated, would be great!

Update - The SCM2 planning committe met tonight to go over last minute details of the entire week-end.

The SCM2 Route (PDF and DOC files by Lookout Lisa) were reviewed and will be bascially the same, with only a few cache additions/deletions.

It had become obvious only yesterday that the Checklist and other listed files by The Steaks had not kept up with the SCM2 Route PDF and DOC file changes. So, they were corrected and will now correspond with the SCM2 Route PDF and DOC files.

These updated files will all be posted on the Spokane Cache Machine 2 cache page by mid day tomorrow. When this is done, a notice will be made on the cache page and this forum. Any additional SCM2 information that comes up after that will be announced Friday evening and Saturday morning.

Thank you for your patience and understanding,

The SCM2 plannng committee

PS - Please disregard the "Updated date" listed after the files on the cache page as it does not reflect any newly posted file, but instead seems to change every time The Steaks work on a file.

Here's to a great caching week-end!

Dream Cache R

WSGA - Inland Empire Secretary/Treasurer

Edited by Dream Cache R

UPDATED ROUTE INFORMATION

For a current Bookmark List of caches, see my Spokane Cache Machine 2 list, on the event page. (You'll need to click the 'more' button, my list is at the bottom.)

Here is a Link to Lookout Lisa's Route in PDF:

www.cache-advance.com/spokanecm/SCM2Route_v7.2_Final.pdf

Here is a link to Lookout Lisa's Route in .Doc:

www.cache-advance.com/spokanecm/SCM2Route_v7.2_Final.doc

Sorry for the long delay in getting this out.

Hey Everyone!!! All files are up to date and FINAL!

The Raffle Prize is a NEW Garmin Legend Cx. See it at the Friday night Dessert Pot Luck at the Kress Gallery!

If you need any of the files after 4:45pm on Friday, Come to the Kress Gallery with your thumb drive(or older memory cards).

Friday night - Silent Auction. Cash or check

Friday night, Start, and Sat Dinner -

Coins are $10 at event. Cash Only

Friday night, Start, REI, and Sat Dinner - Raffle Tickets are $1 each or 6 for 5$. Cash Only

Buttons are $1 each.

ATMs avaliable at the Kress on Friday night, and thruout town all day saturday.

The Steaks

Has anything changed on the route map since April 4? It appears as if this final document is exactly the same as the one that's been there for the last few weeks. As far as I can tell, it's identical except for the title. Since it's about 27 pages, I don't want to print it again if nothing has changed (I already fell for that trick once!) :D

Edited to add: I just ran a PQ on the bookmark list, and I think there are still about 15 caches that are on the bookmark list that are not in the "final" driving directions/map document. There are also about 10 caches that are in the driving directions but are not in the bookmark list. :D

Edited by GeekGirl

Has anything changed on the route map since April 4? It appears as if this final document is exactly the same as the one that's been there for the last few weeks. As far as I can tell, it's identical except for the title. Since it's about 27 pages, I don't want to print it again if nothing has changed (I already fell for that trick once!) :laughing:

There are just a few changes that might actually not be worth printing out if you have v7.1:

1. Stateline directions were cleaned up (you can walk to a few caches instead of driving to each one, and one direction was changed from east to west, but it should all be obvious once you are there)

2. We ADDED HunnyBunny (GCTYM7) cache (Mirabeau park area) -again, right in the area of other caches so no changes to driving directions.

2b. While you are there, I missed adding on the route files Falling For Mirabeau (GCG4J7) cache -it is good to go!

3. We also ADDED A Room With a View Travel Bug Motel (GC11ZWH) -it is near the start within walking distance.

4. We ADDED 3 new caches just placed in the Airway Heights area:

-Fat Burger (GC12DZ6)

-No Cache Due at Signing (GC12DAH)

-Oriental Delights #1 (GC12DZ3)

5. We DELETED Manito Bridge (GCYGG3) due to erosion problems at the cache site.

Those are all the changes to the 'Final' routes (both pdf and msword versions).

We deleted a bunch of caches from the checklist and bookmark lists as they had TOO MANY caches on them. All should be basically 'in sync' with each other.

Yes... it was a long night... :D:D:laughing:

Edited by Lookout Lisa

Edited to add: I just ran a PQ on the bookmark list, and I think there are still about 15 caches that are on the bookmark list that are not in the "final" driving directions/map document. There are also about 10 caches that are in the driving directions but are not in the bookmark list. :D

Can you post or email what you have found that don't match?? I'm thinking our eyes may be crossing by now and perhaps we missed a few :D

Thank you so much for your attention to detail! :laughing:

Can you post or email what you have found that don't match??

Sure thing! Here are the ones that I think don't match up.

Bookmarked but not on the map:

GC11RRY Centennial Trail pt3

GCG4J7 Falling for Mirabeau

GC11RRV Get a STAR on your Quiz...

GCQGCA Montgomery Micro

GC11RRX Random rise in terrain

GCQ1JX Riverside State Park Pillar Cache #2

GCE4BB The 1974 Exposition Attraction

GC11RT0 The Big M

GCQ1JZ The Black Can.

GCJ0ZV University District

In the driving directions but not on the bookmark list:

GCTNKY A Friendly Cache Micro

GCXXKK Airway Heights Micro

GCZX34 Confuse-a-Cache Regular

GCMD96 Down by Duncan Gardens

GCNHTH I Think I Can, Again

GC10D7A Woodruff

(It turns out that there are two bookmark lists with identical names and I was using the first one, so ignore the "crossed-out" ones.)

Also, on line 225 of the document, it directs us to parking coordinates for a cache that has been removed from the route...

Edited by GeekGirl

will take a look this afternoon and see what needs to be done.

Great, thanks! One more thing...on line 222 of the document, it lists GCC723 (SpiritOfNatureManitoPark) which has been unavailable for several weeks (the cache page indicates it went missing ages ago). I bet you'll be glad when this weekend is over! :-)

UPDATED ROUTE INFORMATION

For a current Bookmark List of caches, see my Spokane Cache Machine 2 list, on the event page. (You'll need to click the 'more' button, my list is at the bottom.)

Here is a Link to Lookout Lisa's Route in PDF:

www.cache-advance.com/spokanecm/SCM2Route_v7.2_Final.pdf

Here is a link to Lookout Lisa's Route in .Doc:

www.cache-advance.com/spokanecm/SCM2Route_v7.2_Final.doc

Sorry for the long delay in getting this out.

Does this mean the PQ's I've been using from eagsc7's bookmark is no good???????

Does this mean the PQ's I've been using from eagsc7's bookmark is no good???????

Yep, you're supposed to use the one called "Spokane Cache Machine 2," not the one called "Spokane Cache Machine 2." (they have the same name). There are 117 caches on MtnGoat50's list, 111 on the first list. But as it's been pointed out, apparently neither of the bookmark lists match up with the driving directions (unless I'm totally screwed up or missing something, which is entirely possible!).

Edited by GeekGirl

Great, thanks! One more thing...on line 222 of the document, it lists GCC723 (SpiritOfNatureManitoPark) which has been unavailable for several weeks (the cache page indicates it went missing ages ago). I bet you'll be glad when this weekend is over! :-)

The owner of GCC723 (SpiritOfNatureManitoPark) said he would have it up and running by this week-end.

If not, I will put a temporary cache in its hidey hole so people can find it - only problem is that the cache page may not show that it is enabled, but I can write a log saying that it is active. So plan on getting this one!

Edited by Dream Cache R

Has the night route also been scrubbed? I ask because I have found two archived caches on the list and, having done many of the ones on the list already, I would say that some are not what I would consider "night friendly".

The Night Route has not been scrubbed. It is an optional tail added by Steaks/eags7 and not reviewed by the SCM2 committee. Will have to forward this on to him. Thanks for pointing that out.

Edited by Dream Cache R

Yep, you're supposed to use the one called "Spokane Cache Machine 2," not the one called "Spokane Cache Machine 2." (they have the same name). There are 117 caches on MtnGoat50's list, 111 on the first list. But as it's been pointed out, apparently neither of the bookmark lists match up with the driving directions (unless I'm totally screwed up or missing something, which is entirely possible!).

I'm sorry for the confusion. I never entended to make my list public and only did so early this morning when it appeared the other list was not being updated. I based it on the printed turn by turn directions on the route, as carefully as I could. I included all the caches I saw including disabled ones. I'll admit I was a little tired at the time, so I could have made some mistakes.

I've renamed the list SCM2 which hopefully will reduce any confusion.

Again, I'm sorry if this caused anyone problems.

I am actually going on vacation after this weekend (and even leaving the country!) :D Or well at least to an undisclosed location... :D

I am actually going on vacation after this weekend (and even leaving the country!) :D Or well at least to an undisclosed location... :D

You can't hide. We can just track what caches you find in whatever country you decide to hide in.

Yeah...what Shop99er and hydnsek said! A notice on here and on the listing, as to when things are updated, would be great!

PS - Please disregard the "Updated date" listed after the files on the cache page as it does not reflect any newly posted file, but instead seems to change every time The Steaks work on a file.

Actually, every time a new file is posted, the Updated date was changed to that date. Beings I have the server on a home computer, it is Really easy for me to make changs to the files and update them.

Next time,

Here is a link to the eTrex® Vista Cx GPSr we have for the drawing on Saturday night at 8PM.

Tickets will be available for sale throughout the event.

$1 each or $5 for six tickets.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=326&locale=en_US

Suggested Retail is $ 321.41 !!

I could have sworn that it was the Venture Cx....

The STeaks

Yep, my bad... I sent out the wrong link! :D

Garmin eTrex Legend Cx... Retails for $ 289.27

Got a little too excited there with such a great REI donation! Still a nice machine nonetheless ...

Just wanted to add one thing more to the SCM2 thread here. Lady Stevenson has asked me to pass along some info regarding an Iraq cache, dedicated to a soldier who lost his life in battle. The actual cache is here

We will be sponsoring a "Donation Cache" at the REI pitstop on the Machine Route. If you would like to contribute to this cache, please feel free to leave phone cards or other small items that you think would make the geo-soldiers over there a little happier.

Thanks, and get some sleep now - see ya soon!

YA

I know there has been a lot of frustration with the planning of the CM...and not only this one but all of them...and I'd like to thank the Inland Empire chapter and the organizers specifically for setting this up for all of us.

It's not over yet, but hopefully everyone will come away with great memories of the weekend!

:anicute: So what list is everyone using to base there PQ on?? The one with 117? :D

I used both after I saw the other one come up. With one having more caches on it, I pq'd it to make sure I didn't leave any out.

I can't imagine the kind of logistics this whole thing involved. I know you all have to be worn out!! I'm lugging my laptop with me & should have it at the pre-event. I think my files are all up to date - if they're not perfect, at least whomever gets info from mine will have more than they wanted vs less!

We'll on the road within 2 hrs - woohoo!!

Has the night route also been scrubbed? I ask because I have found two archived caches on the list and, having done many of the ones on the list already, I would say that some are not what I would consider "night friendly".

The SCM2 planning committee has only planned from the Pre-Event meeting (at the Kress Gallery Fri night) to the after caching Dinner (Sat night). Everything after that (say, the night caching) has not been handled by the committee but by individuals.

The only "true" traditional style night caches in Spokane that are still active to my memory are:

Illumination GCM96Z (an Excellent Urban Night Cache with a great finish -- Bring a flashlight)

and

Scotophobia - Fear of the Dark GCQW7A (an Excellent Rural Night Cache -- Bring a Really Big Flashlight and watch for owls)

Trevor

T&K :anicute:

The SCM2 planning committee has only planned from the Pre-Event meeting (at the Kress Gallery Fri night) to the after caching Dinner (Sat night). Everything after that (say, the night caching) has not been handled by the committee but by individuals.

The only "true" traditional style night caches in Spokane that are still active to my memory are:

Illumination GCM96Z (an Excellent Urban Night Cache with a great finish -- Bring a flashlight)

and

Scotophobia - Fear of the Dark GCQW7A (an Excellent Rural Night Cache -- Bring a Really Big Flashlight and watch for owls)

Trevor

T&K :anicute:

Its not published yet, but Tomorrow, Spokane Cache Machine 2 Finale(GC11RT1) will be published. More Info @ Start, Pitstop, and Dinner!!!

The Steaks

To keep everyone in the loop, the page has been changed slightly.

1) Krispy Kreme is not able to provide donuts at the start

2) The File server went down unexpectedly for a couple hours this morning. It is back up and running.

3) All other updates will be at the Kress Gallery this eavning!

The Steaks

The SCM2 was a big hit!!!

Just like a good book, it had a nice intro (welcome event), great beginning (group webcam), fun middle (great weather, lots of caches, friends and adventures, the REI pit stop), a fantastic climax (dinner buffet, birthdays, GPSr winner!), a fun anti-climax (group night cache) and a very happy ending! (lots of smileys to log!!!) [:D][:o][:D][:o][:o][;)][:D][:)][:)]!!!!

Congrats to Rick Lewis, GeoDiver, of Lakewood, WA - winner of the Garmin eTrex Vista CX!!!!

Thanks to REI and all the REI Pit Stop Volunteers - YAYA, Yellow Alligator, Liwolf, Lookout Lisa, The Steaks, Lady Stevenson, Moun10Goat, the two LLCools, Dream Cache R.

Thanks to all the Call-A-Cachers - Eagsc7, Chumpo, MtnGoat50, LLCool, Lookout Lisa, Trevor and Kate, Dream Cache R

Thanks to all who donated items for the Silent Auction - DMagoo, Chumpo, Kootenay Pirates, MtnGoat50, Eagsc7, Lookout Lisa, Dream Cache R, Groundspeak, (did I miss anyone?) and to Trevor and Kate for making the fun Event CDs and MtnGoat50 for making the special Event pins and to The Steaks for handling the Event coins.

Thanks to the hard working Event committee and everyone who supported us locally and in the forums!!!- Eagsc7, Lookout Lisa, MtnGoat50, Trevor and Kate, Yellow Alligator, Dream Cache R.....

Thanks to EVERYONE who attended and made the Spokane Cache Machine 2 a great success!!! :D

Edited by Dream Cache R

It looks like the REI Pit Stop was just posted, for those who stopped by during the SCM2 on Saturday - REI Pit Stop cache

I might get turned around sometimes while out on the trails, but this is rediculous. Does Airway Heights have an REI store now?

Hmm...since it's a "REI pit stop," maybe that means it is a Pit Stop to REI from Reardan.

Edited by Trevor and Kate

It looks like the REI Pit Stop was just posted, for those who stopped by during the SCM2 on Saturday - REI Pit Stop cache

I might get turned around sometimes while out on the trails, but this is rediculous. Does Airway Heights have an REI store now?

Hmm...since it's an "REI pit stop," maybe that means it is a Pit Stop to REI from Reardan.

Clarification - Since Groundspeak doesn't allow caches to be at places of business, the one everyone signed at REI was permanently placed after the event in a different location) ... out in Airway Heights, The Steaks/eagsc7's hometown. Note the new name "Pitstop and take a view"! (a new location, the same cache that was at the REI pitstop)

Hmm...since it's an "REI pit stop," maybe that means it is a Pit Stop to REI from Reardan.

Clarification - Since Groundspeak doesn't allow caches to be at places of business, the one everyone signed at REI was permanently placed after the event in a different location) ... out in Airway Heights, The Steaks/eagsc7's hometown. Note the new name "Pitstop and take a view"! (a new location, the same cache that was at the REI pitstop)

So does that mean that there is AN ACTUAL CACHE at the posted coordinates? Do I get to log it twice?

Edited by Chumpo

So does that mean that there is NO ACTUAL CACHE at the posted coordinates?

No, eagsc7 took the REI cache and moved it to its permanent location. Yes, the cache is at its posted coordinates and there is a new log book in it, so I guess someone could theoretically get a FTF in its new location! Go for it! B)

Edited by Dream Cache R