Spokane Cache Machine

eagsc7

I'm not a huge fan of drinking and driving so can anyone tell me how close this place is to some of the hotels mentioned earlier.

Northern Lights is just a few blocks from I90 just east of Division... so it is basically right between the northern hotels (near the dinner) and the eastern hotels (a few miles from each set).

It is also just a few blocks from the new starting point on WSU's Riverpoint Campus. Clear as mud? :laughing:

But the good news is that the Chocolate Dunkel is sooooo yummy :laughing:

Good to know, thanks! If this CM is like previous ones, though, I betcha a lot of us will go out caching again after dinner, so wonder how many will wander over to the watering hole. Plunking down the cash (not cache) sounds a little risky if you don't get a strong response ahead of time.

The SCM2 planning committee has tentatively reserved a room at the Northern Lights Microbrewery for Saturday night at around 8-9pm until ?, after the Old Country Buffet dinner at 6:30pm that night.

Update - I had to release the room today due to not having the upfront monetary committment needed to hold it. The planning committee will continue to look for another place for those who would like to get together for an after dinner adult beverage during the SCM2 week-end.

Edited by Dream Cache R

I just checked out the updates on the Cache Machine Page - lots of hard work being done and is appreciated!! Just have to ask - Will there be routes added to the Garmin file (similar to the "Night" route) for the main cache machine? We won't be able to do the Sunday portion, but was hoping there will be routes added and broken down to, like, Saturday route, Sunday route - just like you did for the night route.

I tried viewing the pdf file, but about halfway through viewing it, had some weird error & wasn't able to get the last half (sorry I didn't pay attention to what the error was - or I'd tell ya). I'm going to download the doc file for driving directions & build my own - but, I had to ask just in case...

Greetings Cache Machiners! We have updated the route and there are some great changes:

1. We are starting at the University Web Cam at 6:15am with a group picture of everyone. We've worked an agreement with WSU Spokane so you can also leave your extra vehicles here all day for a very small fee! There is security 24/7 on campus.

2. We have fine tuned the route to ensure the easiest turns and reasonable parking (parking coords are included for most of the short walk caches) for ALL caches on the list.

3. REI is sponsoring a 'Pit Stop' on their patio about 2/3 the way through the route, and it will be open from 11am to 3pm. Come on by for a bonus cache, some refreshments (for donation), get your drawing tickets for the GPS give-away at dinner, and your REI treat.

4. Recently placed caches have been added to list! Cache owners, please let us know if don't want all of us visiting your cache that day!!

Looking forward to seeing everyone at the Machine! Don't forget the pre-event at the Kress Gallery in Riverpark Square Friday night at 7pm (a desert potluck!), dinner Saturday at 6:30pm and then the night route for non-stop fun :)

I just checked out the updates on the Cache Machine Page - lots of hard work being done and is appreciated!! Just have to ask - Will there be routes added to the Garmin file (similar to the "Night" route) for the main cache machine? We won't be able to do the Sunday portion, but was hoping there will be routes added and broken down to, like, Saturday route, Sunday route - just like you did for the night route.

I tried viewing the pdf file, but about halfway through viewing it, had some weird error & wasn't able to get the last half (sorry I didn't pay attention to what the error was - or I'd tell ya). I'm going to download the doc file for driving directions & build my own - but, I had to ask just in case...

Hi Lizzy,

I think the GPX file will be posted to the cache page shortly. If anyone else is having trouble downloading the file(s) please do let us know. Might have just been a traffic problem with lots of downloading at the same time.

Here is an alternative download mirror site for some of the files.

Cheers!

Hi Lizzy,

I think the GPX file will be posted to the cache page shortly. If anyone else is having trouble downloading the file(s) please do let us know. Might have just been a traffic problem with lots of downloading at the same time.

Here is an alternative download mirror site for some of the files.

Cheers!

Thanks Lisa (that felt weird - my name is Lisa too)! I had some trouble with the doc file too (but I'm not exactly computer literate - so it might've been on my end) I'll grab the new GPX file from the cache page when I get a chance.

From what I can tell on the Cache Machine coins...

Purchase today through PayPal & mailed: $9.00 + $2.00 S&H

Purchase today and pickup at event: $9.00 + $2.00 S&H

Purchase at event: $10.00

:D So do I save a $1 (price of 1/3 gallon of gas) and take a chance I might miss out or do I assure myself a coin by either mailing or picked up? :wub:

Decisions... Decisions... :wub:

:D So do I save a $1 (price of 1/3 gallon of gas) and take a chance I might miss out or do I assure myself a coin by either mailing or picked up? :wub:

Decisions... Decisions... :wub:

Actually, depending on which link you follow, I found an option of $11 + $2.44 S&H as well...

Personally, I'm going to wait.

:wub: So do I save a $1 (price of 1/3 gallon of gas) and take a chance I might miss out or do I assure myself a coin by either mailing or picked up? :wub:

Decisions... Decisions... :D

Actually, depending on which link you follow, I found an option of $11 + $2.44 S&H as well...

Are they limiting 1 coin per caching name? If not then when we order extra coins we get charged $2 for S&H for each coin? :wub:

These coins should not cost much over $5 each to mint. Who's getting the profit? Or is this to off set the cost of the event? If so it should state so! I would think about ordering if the S&H for the first coin was $2 and additional coins $.25 or $.50 extra.

But I think I am going to wait and take a chance also! :wub:

I just realized if you are selling outside of the SCM then anyone can order. It should be offered to the Cachers that participate in the SCM first! Then sell to the public after.

Or since They are doing the coins They can do it just about anyway They want to. :D

;) So do I save a $1 (price of 1/3 gallon of gas) and take a chance I might miss out or do I assure myself a coin by either mailing or picked up? :huh:

Decisions... Decisions... :rolleyes:

I'm going to wait, too. Shop99er typically charges $5 for his event coins, and you have to be there to buy 'em. I was assuming something similar here. Of coure, his aren't trackable.

Thanks for all the hard work ya'll are doing to put this big event on. I can just imagine all the logistics involved to get this going. And a BIG thanks for jumping through all the hoops and all the work involved in getting an event coin ready in time - I personally appreciate all the extra effort this involved. I can't wait to get mine!! No complaints here...

Thank you all that are interested in the Offical SCM2 Coin.

The Inland Empire Chapter pretty much has non-existent funds and we are not getting any funding from any other entity. One of the brainstorms that the planning meeting had was to sell a SCM2 coin in order to help pay the overhead for the event. Since we have limited money to create the coins, there are a limited number of coins for purchase.

If a person wants to Guarantee they will get a coin it is $9.00 via pay pal with $2.00 to cover the pay-pal expense and the handling (not shipping). = $11.00

If a person does not care about having a Guarantee they could possibly get a coin during the event for $9.00 plus $1.00 handling fee = 10.00

The handling fee is our Guarantee to make a dollar off of each sale in order to help pay for the event. Each coin costs us close to $9.00 a piece to make.

Shipping, if need be, will be extra and could be negotiated with the seller of the coins "eagsc7" with the following considerations: international or local rate, and the number of coins purchased.

The Coins are FULLY Trackable at geocaching.com. They also have their own coin-icon.

Cachers that participate in the SCM2 WILL NOT have first dibs. People who purchase the coin via Pay Pal will have first dibs. At the event, it will be first come, first served for as long as supplies last.

We hope this clears some things up.

Thanks,

The Spokane Cache Machine II Coin Committee

(This message posted by Dream Cache R - IE Secretary/Treasurer for the SCM2 Coin Committee)

Cachers that participate in the SCM2 WILL NOT have first dibs. People who purchase the coin via Pay Pal will have first dibs. At the event, it will be first come, first served for as long as supplies last.

(This message posted by Dream Cache R - IE Secretary/Treasurer for the SCM2 Coin Committee)

Well that is kinda of a slap in the arse, How about those of us that flat out hates and refuses to use paypal can you save a couple? Can I somehow mail you or meet someone before hand and give them the money?

Well that is kinda of a slap in the arse, How about those of us that flat out hates and refuses to use paypal can you save a couple? Can I somehow mail you or meet someone before hand and give them the money?

Hi Magking!

Since I know you and I use paypal, I will buy them for you and you can pay me back at the event. Send me an email telling me how many you want.

I don't want to start something, but if this is a hardship for folks, I will try to help out or perhaps other caching friends can do the same.

Dream Cache R

Re: SCM2 Coin

"The Inland Empire Chapter pretty much has non-existent funds and we are not getting any funding from any other entity."

Yeah. I can vouch for that.

It's only a few more bucks, and they will be put to very good use.

Edited by Chumpo

Maybe I'm insane, but why the late start and early end? Sunrise is at 5:38 a.m. (twilight at 5:03), and it's not dark until after 8:00 p.m. Some of my best cache machine memories have been tromping through damp grass at a Wenatchee sunrise, exploring a PDX airport willow as the sun's coming up, and hiking a crisp morning trail in Olympia that was a lot brighter going out than coming in.

Maybe I'm insane, but why the late start and early end? Sunrise is at 5:38 a.m. (twilight at 5:03), and it's not dark until after 8:00 p.m. Some of my best cache machine memories have been tromping through damp grass at a Wenatchee sunrise, exploring a PDX airport willow as the sun's coming up, and hiking a crisp morning trail in Olympia that was a lot brighter going out than coming in.

I remember tromping through a very dark and foggy morning in a Bellingham cemetary once. :D

Not that I wanna this time, but I do remember meeting at Schold Farm for the Bremerton Cache Machine II at 3:15 in the morning, meeting for dinner at 8pm I believe it was, and not getting home until well after 10:00 that night.......shoosh what a day that was!

I remember tromping through a very dark and foggy morning in a Bellingham cemetary once. :(

I remember scrambling down and over rocks at dark-thirty in the morning in Wenatchee.

"Official" start and end times never stopped me before! :):(

Sunrise that day will be around 5:40am... but we need to have a little bit more daylight for the WebCam group picture (west facing), that is why we choose 6am to gather, and 6:15 for the group picture.

Go ahead and grab some caches earlier if you want; just be sure to show up a few minutes after 6am at the WebCam to be in the HUGE group picture!

:lol: So do I save a $1 (price of 1/3 gallon of gas) and take a chance I might miss out or do I assure myself a coin by either mailing or picked up? :lol:

Decisions... Decisions... :)

That Error has been corrected(the $11+2.44 S&H)

Also, Paypal calls it Shipping and Handling, but its Handling and Paypal fees.

I would suggest that if anyone wishes to start earlier (4am) they could perhaps do the Airway Heights loop, do the webcam with the group, and then split off to either the South hill, or the Valley and meet up at the dinner.

OR

They could perhaps do the Valley area, do the webcam with the group, and then split off to either the Airway Heights, or the South Hill and meet up at the dinner.

I would not start with the South Hill so early in the morning, even if the police know about our activities for the day.

The hours for the dinner are limited.

I would suggest that if anyone wishes to start earlier (4am) they could perhaps do the Airway Heights loop, do the webcam with the group, and then split off to either the South hill, or the Valley and meet up at the dinner.

OR

They could perhaps do the Valley area, do the webcam with the group, and then split off to either the Airway Heights, or the South Hill and meet up at the dinner.

I would not start with the South Hill so early in the morning, even if the police know about our activities for the day.

The hours for the dinner are limited.

Well said T&K -the route is basically laid out in loops:

-Valley/Stateline

-South Hill

-Airway Heights and

-Downtown/North Spokane,

...with the Webcam start smack in the middle -and not by chance! So choose your loop, and have a blast! And yes, the South Hill loop is very residential, so we do suggest NOT doing that one before 8ish...and yes, the police will be notified of our...ahem...event.

Cheers!

Lisa

Hey all... KidAce and I are going to be at the CM and have room for 2 more people in our geo-car, or would like to find some other people to cache with to be environmentally friendly and save gas. That, and it would allow Mama Cita and Danger Boy to use the car during the day when we are out caching.

If anyone would like to carpool for the day, can you please send us an email or post something here on the forum.

cheers,

Poppa J

Are all these the "final" versions of the files? I see you added the routes to the Garmin File for mapsource - THANK YOU!!!!

FYI - The SCM2 planning committee is meeting again on Wednesday night and there may be a few more unforeseeable tweaks that come out of it.

Just FYI that some of us will be en route by then, without reliable internet access, so hope any further changes will be minimized, and it would be great to go over them during the Friday night dinner, along with anything else that comes up, so everyone has a final debriefing - thanks! Looking forward to it!

Just FYI that some of us will be en route by then, without reliable internet access, so hope any further changes will be minimized, and it would be great to go over them during the Friday night dinner, along with anything else that comes up, so everyone has a final debriefing - thanks! Looking forward to it!

Yup, that is exactly as planned!

Edited by Dream Cache R

Just to clarify - The Friday night 7PM Kick-off at the Kress in Riverpark Square (downtown Spokane) is a Dessert Pot Luck, not a dinner. There is an adjacent food court for those who want to come early to grab a bite of dinner.

So, bring your favorite after-dinner finger foods - brownies, cookies, cupcakes, etc... then take the leftovers with you for the car the next day! (We will supply paper plates, napkins and "to-go" supplies.)

Just to clarify - The Friday night 7PM Kick-off at the Kress in Riverpark Square (downtown Spokane) is a Dessert Pot Luck, not a dinner. There is an adjacent food court for those who want to come early to grab a bite of dinner.

So, bring your favorite after-dinner finger foods - brownies, cookies, cupcakes, etc... then take the leftovers with you for the car the next day! (We will supply paper plates, napkins and "to-go" supplies.)

It is OK to bring food from the court into the Kress Gallery, but seating and table space is very limited -so we do suggest coming a little early if you want a 'sit down meal' out in the adjacent food court. There will be seating for only about the first 60 or so folks in the Gallery (but plenty of room to stand/wander around and socialize), so we planned this as a dessert pot luck for ease and best use of the Kress Gallery space.

We'll have all the latest updates for the weekend, The Inland Empire Signature Item Showcase, a silent auction fund raiser, raffle tickets available for the REI Sponsored GPS Giveaway, some other fun stuff and of course dessert!

See you all there :laughing: !

Is there any reason the night course is only in mapsource?

I can't actually answer your question, but I did find that there is a bookmark list for the night caches. It's called Crazy Night Cachers List and you'll see it if you go to the cache page for any of those on the night route. It's on the event page, too...you'll find it by clicking on the "more..." link below the other bookmark lists.

I have another question...

The Doc file containing driving directions hasn't changed. It's still the same one that was posted weeks ago, but now the "Last Updated" column says it was updated on April 22. So my question is, was there supposed to be a new document posted (different than the one from April 4 that's still there), or is it supposed to be the same one (and the date was just changed for no reason)?

It appears that there are about 10 caches on the driving directions document that aren't in the current bookmark list, and about 30 caches in the bookmark list that are not anywhere in the driving directions.

Edited by GeekGirl

For Everyones knowledge...

The Planning committe is scrubbing thru everything to make sure that it all matches.

If you need the night route in something besides Mapsource or.doc, email me and I'll try to get it to you.

The Steaks

The Planning committe is scrubbing thru everything to make sure that it all matches.

If you need the night route in something besides Mapsource or.doc, email me and I'll try to get it to you.

The Steaks

I'm doing my final upload now, since I leave early tomorrow (as noted above), so hopefully my copilots will grab any update files. See everyone there! :laughing:

The Steaks

I'm doing my final upload now, since I leave early tomorrow (as noted above), so hopefully my copilots will grab any update files. See everyone there! :laughing:

If it would help, we could have a laptop available Friday evening with the latest files and also have the files available on a flash drive. The Friday night location is supposed to be a free wireless hotspot, but I couldn't get it to work the last time I was there several months ago.

If it would help, we could have a laptop available Friday evening with the latest files and also have the files available on a flash drive. The Friday night location is supposed to be a free wireless hotspot, but I couldn't get it to work the last time I was there several months ago.

Hey, that would be very cool - thanks! Having them on a computer or flash would be great, no need for internet link then.