Spokane Cache Machine

eagsc7

I just tried downloading the route files from the cache page and I am receiving the message that the Geocities web site account has exceeded its transfer limit. Would it be possible to host these important files on a less restrictive site? If the transfer limit is being exceeded today, there's no way it will work as the date of the event draws closer.

I've found that you don't get the over limit message if you right click on the link and do a "Save As".

Better yet, convince the cache owners to add child waypoints to their caches then we get them in the PQs... :rolleyes:

That's a good idea for individual caches, but in cache-dense areas like Riverfront Park I don't think you want the 'best' parking for each individual hide, but rather one or two central locations that allows folk to do a mini-loop and hit several before returning to the vehicle. It's much more efficient, especially in the downtown where just finding a parking space can be time-consuming.

Or add them as addtional waypoint on the CM page. :P

This is what I had in mind. One or two parking waypoints near Riverfront Park, the parking lot for Sullivan Park, the best access point for Lincoln Park, etc. It's not necessary to provide waypoints for every cache, but there's some 'clumps' that would certainly be best reached from a single stop.

Ron/yumitori

I just tried downloading the route files from the cache page and I am receiving the message that the Geocities web site account has exceeded its transfer limit. Would it be possible to host these important files on a less restrictive site? If the transfer limit is being exceeded today, there's no way it will work as the date of the event draws closer.

Hi Jon, so glad that you are coming too! I've posted the PDF of the first draft route here

I'll be working on draft 2 this weekend based on all the great feedback we've been getting.

Any tips or advice for a person driving in a cache machine for the first time?

Will I need a blindfold, just hope to follow a car or two, Ramming speed?

My advice for driving in a cache machine is to watch the following:

Smokey and the Bandit,

Cannonball Run I, II, and parts of III (Three is also called Speed Zone!).

It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World,

The second season of Dukes of Hazzard,

and of course,

All seasons of the Amazing Race on 3x speed on the VCR or DVD player.

Some people may recommend Speed Racer, but after all, that's a cartoon and not real life.

Smokey and the Bandit,

and of course,

Some people may recommend Speed Racer, but after all, that's a cartoon and not real life.

You forgot Death Race 2000 :rolleyes:

Smokey and the Bandit,

and of course,

You forgot Death Race 2000 :rolleyes:

Found this list for your viewing/educational pleasure :rolleyes:

Ok Everyone. I now have a new hosting site. Have changed the URLs on the CM Site. Lisa, when you get the new route up on PDF, I'll go in and load it to the site. We'll come out with another design for the Back of the coin in a couple days. Anyone with artistic talent, draw or computer something up that would embody the Cache Machine. I really want more ideas!

The Steaks

Edited by eagsc7

Ok Everyone. I now have a new hosting site. Have changed the URLs on the CM Site. Lisa, when you get the new route up on PDF, I'll go in and load it to the site. Hearing no complaints about the coin, That'll be what we use.

The Steaks

Sure, I'll be sending draft 2 (or would it really be 4?) of the PDF and Route files in a few days.

Regarding the coin, are you bankrolling the entire thing? And do you realistically have enough time to do this and have the coins in hand by the time of the CM? It's a huge outlay of funds, and I just wanted to be sure that I'm not somehow charged!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ok Everyone. I now have a new hosting site. Have changed the URLs on the CM Site. Lisa, when you get the new route up on PDF, I'll go in and load it to the site. Hearing no complaints about the coin, That'll be what we use.

The Steaks

Sure, I'll be sending draft 2 (or would it really be 4?) of the PDF and Route files in a few days.

Regarding the coin, are you bankrolling the entire thing? And do you realistically have enough time to do this and have the coins in hand by the time of the CM? It's a huge outlay of funds, and I just wanted to be sure that I'm not somehow charged!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I haven't gotten a quote for the first design yet, and have no clue what it will cost to get the coins done. I expect that it'll be @ 8.00$ per coin, but that is just a guess. With 250 coins as a minimum for a custom icon and trackable, Thats Alot of money. Once I get more info from coinsandpins.com, things may 'just work out' or donations could be requested(with re-imbursement of coins)

The Steaks

I haven't gotten a quote for the first design yet, and have no clue what it will cost to get the coins done. I expect that it'll be @ 8.00$ per coin, but that is just a guess. With 250 coins as a minimum for a custom icon and trackable, Thats Alot of money. Once I get more info from coinsandpins.com, things may 'just work out' or donations could be requested(with re-imbursement of coins)

The Steaks

If you haven't already, you might want to take a look here for details about how to get a trackable coin with GC.com. If I'm reading it right, there's also the need for their approval of your design, and then a fee of $1.50/coin +$150 (on top of the cost to mint and ship and market the coins) to make it trackable. Oh and if you use PayPal, there is a fee for every transaction (sale) so you have to be sure to keep that in mind too.

Some folks have done pre-sales, but again that is a lot to manage...

Smokey and the Bandit,

and of course,

Well I have been watching A-Team, Knight Rider, and Dukes of hazzard reruns lately and I will have to add a new rule if anyone rides with me, After every stop you must get back in by sliding across my hood and get in using only the window. <_<

Has anyone had any trouble with downloading files since I changed the server they were on? I haven't heard any success or failure stories yet.

Also, The Deadline for Artwork for the coin is 1 March at 1600 PST! The order for coins should go in around the 2 March for us to have the coins Hopefully by the event!

There are a TON of Travel Bugs and Coins in my cache On Top of Mt Spokane TB Hotel! If you ski(or board) its a quick walk to get a couple!

The Steaks

Three things:

1) I've been watching hotel prices for the last few days, and finally jumped at this one. On Travelocity, Crossland Spokane Valley, $39.99 a night, $90.46 total for two nights including taxes and fees. That's where I'm staying. It's about a mile east of the start point.

I'd tried naming a price on Priceline (I got a cheap room at the Red Lion for the Yakima Cache Machine that way), but I wasn't able to get anything nice for the $40 I wanted to pay.

2) Geekgirl, if you've still got room, I'd like to take you up on your offer to be your navigator. I don't have your e-mail here with me, but I'll meet you in Spokane on the Friday night, instead of in Federal Way on Friday noon. I'd like to leave earlier, maybe stopping at a poker room on the way in (in addition to some caches).

3) I've been out of the loop for a while -- what good park & grab caches exist along I-90 from North Bend eastward? Almost Home is a favorite of mine, but it's a ways off of I-90. I definitely want to hit I-90, Wild Stallions Ride Again; I've been looking at it and its predecessor for years. Are any others on this list particularly good? I could care less about the cache itself; I prefer interesting spots and nice views, and won't spend much time searching for a micro or well-hidden normal.

Three things:

1) I've been watching hotel prices for the last few days, and finally jumped at this one. On Travelocity, Crossland Spokane Valley, $39.99 a night, $90.46 total for two nights including taxes and fees. That's where I'm staying. It's about a mile east of the start point.

I'd tried naming a price on Priceline (I got a cheap room at the Red Lion for the Yakima Cache Machine that way), but I wasn't able to get anything nice for the $40 I wanted to pay.

For anyone considering staying at the Crossland Hotel:

1. I've stayed there a few times. It's clean and comfortable but very basic accommodations, similar to Motel 6. If you sign up for the "Suite Savings", Link they will email you a coupon good for $10.00 off your stay. They do have high speed wireless, but it's a $5.00 fee for the length of your stay.

2. Each room has a stovetop, mini fridge, microwave, plates, cutlery, a few pots and pans. If you want to cook your own breakfast or just keep drinks cold, it's a nice feature.

3. You can request their weekly email of specials around the country. The past few weeks' email has listed their weekend rates for the Spokane Crossland at $31.99 instead of $39.99. These emails only come out a few days before each weekend based on room availability, so it's best to make a regular reservation which you can cancel at the last minute if the lower price is offered that weekend.

4. They do accept pets but they assess a $25.00 per night fee for dogs. :(

5. It's at a convenient location in the Spokane Valley, and there's a drive-through Starbucks about 2 blocks away <_<

3) I've been out of the loop for a while -- what good park & grab caches exist along I-90 from North Bend eastward? Almost Home is a favorite of mine, but it's a ways off of I-90. I definitely want to hit I-90, Wild Stallions Ride Again; I've been looking at it and its predecessor for years. Are any others on this list particularly good? I could care less about the cache itself; I prefer interesting spots and nice views, and won't spend much time searching for a micro or well-hidden normal.

I have not done any of the still active caches on your bookmark list, but Winchester Wasteway is not accessible from the rest area. To get to that one you have to get on the frontage road. I know because I tried to get to it ffrom the rest stop.

I did several others not on your list, but would have to find some time to look over the list for good ones. I may not have that time before the CM.

To clarify, it's not my list -- I found it linked to "Wild Stallions", and it says that MODU's the one who created it. I'd like to know about any neat spots on or off the list.

OK then. I did a little research. I had done Adams I-90. That one is a fairly quick find just off of the freeway.

Others I did on a trip to Spokane last May that are close to the freeway are:

Road Closed

Landfill, which can be a drive by, but not from the freeway

Gotta go, gotta go, gotta go, right now - - -

The Trucker's Cache

The west plains open gate. TB Hotel

The last two might be on the CM. Since I can't make the trip, I haven't checked the list.

There was another I was going to suggest, but it is disabled right now. That would be The Little Park Cache in Sprague.

If you want to go a little further off the freeway, I have a couple more that I enjoyed more than these.

Edited by WeightMan

I have not done any of the still active caches on your bookmark list, but Winchester Wasteway is not accessible from the rest area. To get to that one you have to get on the frontage road. I know because I tried to get to it ffrom the rest stop.

I did several others not on your list, but would have to find some time to look over the list for good ones. I may not have that time before the CM.

We did Winchester Wasteway from the rest stop with no problem. :P

Don't miss that Wild Stallions cache Travis, the location is fantastic and it's still one of my favorites.

We did Winchester Wasteway from the rest stop with no problem. :P

Don't miss that Wild Stallions cache Travis, the location is fantastic and it's still one of my favorites.

It might be my memory. I might have tried it from the Frontage Road instead of the rest stop. I know I didn't do it because it was too far from the car and on the other side of the fence. As a result, I never got out of the car. I must have been on the Frontage Road.

Man, it doesn't pay to wait to get reservations. Things seem to be filling up where I wanted to stay. I ended up getting a reservation for Comfort Inn Valley on N. Sullivan. The price was fair; $58.49 a night for 2 beds on an internet special (that's BEFORE taxes). It's gonna cost me $132 for both nights - but, I'm so EXCITED!!!

Man, it doesn't pay to wait to get reservations. Things seem to be filling up where I wanted to stay. I ended up getting a reservation for Comfort Inn Valley on N. Sullivan. The price was fair; $58.49 a night for 2 beds on an internet special (that's BEFORE taxes). It's gonna cost me $132 for both nights - but, I'm so EXCITED!!!

Besides Spokane and Spokane Valley, some peeps may want to look into places in Post Falls and CDA. Idaho isn't all that far with the freeway. You may have to get up earlier, but it may be cheaper.

I wish I'd checked C'Dl too. It's been a long while since I've been through that area (pre-geocaching days) & I couldn't remember relative distances, so I picked a site close to the beginning of the CM. Any updates on the bookmarks for the route? The bookmark note said to check back on 3 March - but the note itself hasn't changed...

I bought one of the event coins...looking forward to getting it!

The Spokane Comfort Inn is in the news -- Link ;):rolleyes:

The Spokane Comfort Inn is in the news -- Link ;):rolleyes:

Wow! I get a two-fer! Cache machine fun & possibly getting the "teeth" scared out of me :(

I'm really stoked now. Cracks me up - had to send the link to one of my best friends who happens to be a dental tech.

Just spent two days putting together bookmarks for the trip over to Spokane on 2. I tried building a Hwy 2 Wenatchee to Spokane route to submit for including on GC.com, but for some reason can't get it to work (I've done it before, but can't remember how now). If someone with Google Earth puts that together & submits it, I'll be eternally grateful.

If someone with Google Earth puts that together & submits it, I'll be eternally grateful.

Lizzy, I've uploaded the route and posted it here. Let me know if you would like any changes.

Thank you so much M10B!! You're the best! It's EXACTLY what I wanted!

Edited by Lizzy

Attention Everyone!

If you are wanting to place a cache for the route that will be published the Day of the Machine, follow directions below.

**Follow directions AFTER 28 MARCH!**

1) Submit cache information as normal for your cache, stating you want it published on April 28th.

2) Send me a message with the following information

a) Cache Name (GCXXXXX)

B) Cache Type and Size (d/t)

c) Cache Coordinates( I will NOT do the cache prior to the event)

d) Short Description

e) Long Description

f) Hint

3) I will send you a message with HTML code for you to put at the bottom of your page.

4) I will make up a page with everything you sent me on it. Each Driver will get these pages, with them to be opened around noon the day of the event.

If you have any questions, email me...

The Steaks

Attention Everyone!

If you are wanting to place a cache for the route that will be published the Day of the Machine, follow directions below.

1) Submit cache information as normal for your cache, stating you want it published on April 28th.

a) Cache Name (GCXXXXX)

B) Cache Type and Size (d/t)

d) Short Description

e) Long Description

f) Hint

3) I will send you a message with HTML code for you to put at the bottom of your page.

4) I will make up a page with everything you sent me on it. Each Driver will get these pages, with them to be opened around noon the day of the event.

The Steaks

Ok one big question... If we aren't suposed to open the packet till noon (and presumabley at that point we are a third of the way thru the route) What is the point? Will all these new caches be at the end of the route, or at least in the last 2/3 so we can fit them in?

If the point of a cache machine route is to hit as many as possible in some logical sequence then why be given them late. I admit I am tired right now but this seems like it would only be for those who want to drop the route to try to get a FTF, (if that is what I really was wanting to do I would definitly open the packet before noon) maybe thats the point but it doesn't seem to mesh to well with a cache machine route in my mind.

Just some thoughts, not trying to cause angst. :P

Attention Everyone!

a) Cache Name (GCXXXXX)

:P Cache Type and Size (d/t)

d) Short Description

e) Long Description

f) Hint

The Steaks

Ok one big question... If we aren't supposed to open the packet till noon (and presumably at that point we are a third of the way through the route) What is the point? Will all these new caches be at the end of the route, or at least in the last 2/3 so we can fit them in?

If the point of a cache machine route is to hit as many as possible in some logical sequence then why be given them late. I admit I am tired right now but this seems like it would only be for those who want to drop the route to try to get a FTF, (if that is what I really was wanting to do I would definitely open the packet before noon) maybe thats the point but it doesn't seem to mesh to well with a cache machine route in my mind.

Just some thoughts, not trying to cause angst. B)

I'm with you ARJ, I couldn't see the point of opening it at t preset time.

Could we please add "A Friendly Cach" I haven't been able to find it and would like to have some help through the use of the people on the cache machine, plus, I think that it would be a quick cache since it isn't far to walk and close to the start.

Thanks

Onewheeler

Could we please add "A Friendly Cach" I haven't been able to find it and would like to have some help through the use of the people on the cache machine, plus, I think that it would be a quick cache since it isn't far to walk and close to the start.

Thanks

Onewheeler

Whats the GC Code?

Attention Everyone!

a) Cache Name (GCXXXXX)

:ph34r: Cache Type and Size (d/t)

d) Short Description

e) Long Description

f) Hint

The Steaks

Ok one big question... If we aren't supposed to open the packet till noon (and presumably at that point we are a third of the way through the route) What is the point? Will all these new caches be at the end of the route, or at least in the last 2/3 so we can fit them in?

If the point of a cache machine route is to hit as many as possible in some logical sequence then why be given them late. I admit I am tired right now but this seems like it would only be for those who want to drop the route to try to get a FTF, (if that is what I really was wanting to do I would definitely open the packet before noon) maybe thats the point but it doesn't seem to mesh to well with a cache machine route in my mind.

Just some thoughts, not trying to cause angst. :ph34r:

I'm with you ARJ, I couldn't see the point of opening it at t preset time.

The only reason I was saying to open them at noon isto give people choices. Presumably people would be 1/3 of the way thru the route, but by that time the groups will be smaller(People skipping the ones they already have...) and each group will be able to choose to stay on route, or go for the new ones. Beings I am only putting 2 caches 'To be released' on the day of the event, I only know those 2 points. It is up to a few locals to put together other caches they want released that day, assuming their placement is within the route area...(i.e. I won't have any that are North of the Upper Division St Y)

The Steaks

The only reason I was saying to open them at noon isto give people choices. Presumably people would be 1/3 of the way thru the route, but by that time the groups will be smaller(People skipping the ones they already have...) and each group will be able to choose to stay on route, or go for the new ones. Beings I am only putting 2 caches 'To be released' on the day of the event, I only know those 2 points. It is up to a few locals to put together other caches they want released that day, assuming their placement is within the route area...(i.e. I won't have any that are North of the Upper Division St Y)

The Steaks

As a veteran of six previous TravisL style cache machines and having organized one myself, I can tell you that it would be unlikely on a cache machine that I would consider adding in a bunch of "just released" caches to the established route. I would have already downloaded the Pocket Query, printed out the route and list of caches and have everything organized for the order that we're going to do the caches. After completing one, we jump back in the car, I call for the next cache on the list, do a goto and head toward it as someone is reading off the description from the PDA. It can be too confusing in an unfamiliar city to try to add in other caches, especially if you are in a group with multiple vehicles.

I'm not saying don't add any, I would just recommend that it be limited to only a few and that they be announced at the Friday night dinner and again on the morning of the CM. That gives people a chance to plan ahead if they want to include them in their day. The organization of a cache machine is all before it starts. After that it's mostly a free-for-all until dinner. :D

Looks like I'll be doing this one. It won't be a big day for me, I've done all but a handful of the caches on the list, but my wife wants to do it and get her numbers up. We're ham operators and will have a vhf/uhf radio in the car. I was wondering if there are any others out there?

The Steaks

As a veteran of six previous TravisL style cache machines and having organized one myself, I can tell you that it would be unlikely on a cache machine that I would consider adding in a bunch of "just released" caches to the established route. I would have already downloaded the Pocket Query, printed out the route and list of caches and have everything organized for the order that we're going to do the caches. After completing one, we jump back in the car, I call for the next cache on the list, do a goto and head toward it as someone is reading off the description from the PDA. It can be too confusing in an unfamiliar city to try to add in other caches, especially if you are in a group with multiple vehicles.

I'm not saying don't add any, I would just recommend that it be limited to only a few and that they be announced at the Friday night dinner and again on the morning of the CM. That gives people a chance to plan ahead if they want to include them in their day. The organization of a cache machine is all before it starts. After that it's mostly a free-for-all until dinner. :)

What Noltex said. Captured my approach and thoughts perfectly. :huh:

At the Wenatchee CM, they added a couple caches to the route after we arrived, but they were announced at the Friday dinner and coords handed out on slips of paper, along with recommendations on where they would fit into the official route. That way, we could incorporate them fairly easily if we chose.

The SCM2 planning committee has tentatively reserved a room at the Northern Lights Microbrewery for Saturday night at around 8-9pm until ?, after the Old Country Buffet dinner at 6:30pm that night.

The cost to reserve this room is $150 of which we could use to buy that much in snack foods.

The problem is that we don't have the money to reserve the room.

One suggestion was that we could perhaps charge $3 per person for the snacks and if 50 people were planning to go, then our costs would be covered.

We need to know this answer ASAP! There is another party waiting with money in hand to reserve this room.

QUESTIONS?

Would you go for a brew on Saturday night of the SCM2 event?

Would you be willing to pay $3 to help pay for the room, get snacks included.

You may reply to this or send me an email. If there is not a lot of interest, then we will have to let the room go.

Thanks!

nnb720@msn.com

The SCM2 planning committee has tentatively reserved a room at the Northern Lights Microbrewery for Saturday night at around 8-9pm until ?, after the Old Country Buffet dinner at 6:30pm that night.

The cost to reserve this room is $150 of which we could use to buy that much in snack foods.

The problem is that we don't have the money to reserve the room.

One suggestion was that we could perhaps charge $3 per person for the snacks and if 50 people were planning to go, then our costs would be covered.

We need to know this answer ASAP! There is another party waiting with money in hand to reserve this room.

QUESTIONS?

Would you go for a brew on Saturday night of the SCM2 event?

Would you be willing to pay $3 to help pay for the room, get snacks included.

You may reply to this or send me an email. If there is not a lot of interest, then we will have to let the room go.

Thanks!

nnb720@msn.com

Of course a cold Micro Brew after the day would be fantastic :laughing: , and Of course I would be willing to pitch in the 3 bucks!

Just to note for those who do not know: The Northern Lights is not exactly near the SCM2 Dinner spot. Northern Lights is near GCJ1KG.

Yes, and from my previous post -

Northern Lights Brewing Co

(509) 242-2739

1003 E Trent Ave, Spokane, WA 99202

It is centrally located in the Gonzaga U district; has lots of parking and a big room that will hold a lot of people. (I think someone told me 70 or so). Their beer is good and they also serve food, if you need a late night snack or missed out at the Buffet.

Just to note for those who do not know: The Northern Lights is not exactly near the SCM2 Dinner spot. Northern Lights is near GCJ1KG.

Yes, and from my previous post -

Northern Lights Brewing Co

(509) 242-2739

1003 E Trent Ave, Spokane, WA 99202

It is centrally located in the Gonzaga U district; has lots of parking and a big room that will hold a lot of people. (I think someone told me 70 or so). Their beer is good and they also serve food, if you need a late night snack or missed out at the Buffet.

I'm not a huge fan of drinking and driving so can anyone tell me how close this place is to some of the hotels mentioned earlier.

I'm not a huge fan of drinking and driving so can anyone tell me how close this place is to some of the hotels mentioned earlier.

Northern Lights is just a few blocks from I90 just east of Division... so it is basically right between the northern hotels (near the dinner) and the eastern hotels (a few miles from each set).

It is also just a few blocks from the new starting point on WSU's Riverpoint Campus. Clear as mud? :laughing:

But the good news is that the Chocolate Dunkel is sooooo yummy :laughing: