Spokane Cache Machine

eagsc7

Trevor of Trevor and Kate should be available to ride with someone and give spoilers about caches if they want. We've done most if not all of the caches in the area and can be reached by Cell if people get stuck as well.

Are we or could we pass out a Spokane Cache Machine Locals Volunteer list with phone numbers of locals who volunteer to be spoiler givers? Just for the event of course :-p. I'm not talking about G&T's list.

Thanks Trevor! Yes, A 'Phone a Cacher' list for the day would be great. Either email me or the Steaks your number if you want to be available to be called for help/hints the day of the Cache Machine and we'll compile a list to hand out the 28th.

Will you be only giving spoilers as quotes from movies?? :huh:B)

I was thinking of getting at least 1 cell number from each vehicle, and giving my number to everyone. Of course a Phone a cacher is a good idea. I'll let Lookout Lisa take care of the Phone-a-Cacher list. Of course, you can still e-mail it to me. Either way.

I'll also work on getting a group rate at the Comfort Inn North. Give me a day, and I'll hopefully get it!

The Cache Page is UP!!!!!!! Check it out and say your coming HERE!

The Steaks

When we did the Longview CM, the phone a cacher did come in handy when you are really stumped. I am glad to hear that you are creating a list.

Keep up with the good work,

Naha Tyee

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the overwhelming response! Does anyone have any artistic ability? If you do, Lets start thinking of ideas for an Event Geo-coin. I see that some have been done before for other events. If I remember, the minimum number is 200 coins! If you want to buy some, I'd say that they should be @10.00/coin(plus S&H). If you don't have any artistic ability, but have a good idea, place it out here!

The Steaks!

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the overwhelming response! Does anyone have any artistic ability? If you do, Lets start thinking of ideas for an Event Geo-coin. I see that some have been done before for other events. If I remember, the minimum number is 200 coins! If you want to buy some, I'd say that they should be @10.00/coin(plus S&H). If you don't have any artistic ability, but have a good idea, place it out here!

The Steaks!

There is no minimum number of coins...you could design one and make "one" coin from the design, but it would be a very expensive coin ($75 per side for dies basically)...not that you'd find anyone to do it.

My personal coin was $650 (roughly) and I paid for one die and used the WSGA member coin backside from last year as the backside...and no tracking or icon...for 150 coins.

Are you thinking trackable? if so, you need 250 for trackable and its own icon.

I have virtually no artistic ability, but I'd buy a coin or three.

Be warned, IF the file uses GPX data in any way, you'll have to e-mail a premium member, due to the file data. I would love to just put it out there for all to see how Helpful a Premium Membership is, but Groundspeak changed their file policy after the last CM.

The Steaks

This is not correct. PQ data cannot be shared. I would suggest that everyone read this post by Rothstafari on the subject.

That post seems to indicate you can't share LOC data either, or load someone else's GPSr, or read anything off the PDA to anyone, or tell them about a new nearby cache - it just about prevents group caching. And any maps made using the data can't be shared (derived portion(s)). So it looks like only a list of the GC numbers would be allowed (and that may be a gray area) and everyone would have to get their own data from GC.

From what I gather, what Groundspeak has an issue with is the proliferation of a GPX file among a group of people that may not have a Premium membership.

YEs, I am thinking trackable. 250 it is then! What ideas does people have for the coin. My wife is a Great artist!

The Steaks!

Hi Trevor, did you get that upsized route that I sent to you yesterday (word doc and pdf)? I'd like to get the pdf out to folks and posted, so cache owners can opt-out, mistakes can caught and new caches can be added. I'll work on the night route to Sandpoint and get that one out in a few days here.

I got it, and will send it to the site rite now.

The Steaks

Hey Lisa.. that one section that I said could be an issue is not an issue. I have always gotten to that 4-way and seen the Freeway Enterance signs and assumed that was all they did... I Live and Learn!

The Steaks

Oh good! I'm sure we'll find some other concerns with the route between now and the big day... be sure to pass on any caches to me that owners want removed from the route. We do still have 10 weeks... I'm sure we'll have a few updated versions between now and then!

So if folks could take a look at the route as posted on the CM page (both word and pdf), and then let us know if there are problems with either the actual route or any caches on it, we'd be much obliged! Also, I haven't looked into actually timing it just yet ... so we may have too many or too few caches... :lol:

Hey Lisa.. that one section that I said could be an issue is not an issue. I have always gotten to that 4-way and seen the Freeway Enterance signs and assumed that was all they did... I Live and Learn!

The Steaks

Oh good! I'm sure we'll find some other concerns with the route between now and the big day... be sure to pass on any caches to me that owners want removed from the route. We do still have 10 weeks... I'm sure we'll have a few updated versions between now and then!

So if folks could take a look at the route as posted on the CM page (both word and pdf), and then let us know if there are problems with either the actual route or any caches on it, we'd be much obliged! Also, I haven't looked into actually timing it just yet ... so we may have too many or too few caches... :lol:

There are a "few" cachers around who will claim there is no such thing! :P:P

On my earlier list of archived, I miss typed GCHR7H. And GCF792 Bubbles and Butterflies is on the list Lisa is using, and is archived.

Lookout Lisa:

The PDF file is missing lines 177 thru 279. Lines 133 to 176 are duplicated in their place.

Line #53 I can't ID which cache you're referencing: SMirabeauP?

I'm trying to build the route in MS Streets & Trips, and having a fun time of it too! :huh:

PDF file:

Line #390 NightMar - can't ID cache, don't see it on GC.com

Line #393 ItsAbout - Puzzle/ALR cache? Is it a good one for a CM?

Line #417 UDistric - Web Cam, will someone be available to get picture, and how to contact them?

Line #457 SignMeUp - archived.

Line $466 GPSAccur - archived.

Ending is different than listed co-ords for dinner.

I know that putting together such a list is a big chore - thank you for your work.

PDF file:

Line #393 ItsAbout - Puzzle/ALR cache? Is it a good one for a CM?

Line #417 UDistric - Web Cam, will someone be available to get picture, and how to contact them?

Line #457 SignMeUp - archived.

Line $466 GPSAccur - archived.

Ending is different than listed co-ords for dinner.

I know that putting together such a list is a big chore - thank you for your work.

Thanks Jester -I'm keeping a list and we'll get an updated route out in a week or so (and correct my bad copy/pasting!). I do plan to park myself at the web cam for an hour or so Saturday afternoon... hopefully that will helps some folks. Other's might have to just skip it.

Regarding the ending coordinates, the route is correct, and the CM page was just updated to show the correct restaurant.

Thanks and keep the catches coming!

Edited by Lookout Lisa

To make things short, the route that is out is V2. Changes were made to the cache page today to reflect the proper OCB thanks to Team Misguided! V3 should be coming out in a few days, with the rest of the the weekend activities coming out shortly after...

The Steaks

Edited by eagsc7

Fixed. Tell me if it works now. It works on our 2 computers.

Does anyone have a PDF Creator that we could work with GSAK or spinner to create the PDF files as requested??

The Steaks

No, but I have S&T, and I can probably import the route into GSAK, and export it to S&T and generate a route that way.

cheers,

Poppa J

Thanks and keep the catches coming!

Thanks for the good work in getting this organized. It looks like we have some caches just on this side of the Idaho border, but none right away on the other side of the Idaho border. Is there any reason for that?

cheers,

Poppa J

Well, the plan for that is simple. The C'Dl area is on the Sunday Morning route.(after the Breakfast on Sunday) Also, If you are not completely worn out by post-dinner, you can cache thru the night going thru such pristine places as Sandpoint and others on the route. If you have MapSource, the routes are on the GDB link on the machine site...

The Steask

A couple of other questions:

- is anyone taking care of talking to the various police organizations and letting them know we will be through their areas? I think a couple of the past organizers have let the police know what is going on to eliminate some calls that might occur. Come on, if 100 people come to the vacant lot next to you to check out just one tree, wouldn't you be curious and possibly call the police?

- the loop into Idaho looks cool, but there seems to be a lot of open space between the caches on that side of the border. was this on purpose?

cheers,

Poppa J

From what I gather, what Groundspeak has an issue with is the proliferation of a GPX file among a group of people that may not have a Premium membership.

YEs, I am thinking trackable. 250 it is then! What ideas does people have for the coin. My wife is a Great artist!

The Steaks!

This Trevor (Steaks) and Trevor (Trevor and Kate) thing is going to get confusing, me thinks.

I sent a bunch of suggestions to DreamCacher and Lisa on the current route. Especially regarding the Sullivan bridge and that blasted median. It's best to switch Hotwheels and WisforWh around.

This Trevor (Steaks) and Trevor (Trevor and Kate) thing is going to get confusing, me thinks.

I sent a bunch of suggestions to DreamCacher and Lisa on the current route. Especially regarding the Sullivan bridge and that blasted median. It's best to switch Hotwheels and WisforWh around.

We found that parking at Sullivan Park and accessing Hot Wheels Cache worked just fine, and folks will already be there for W is for Whether We Would... (not to mention possibly grabbing the other 2 caches in the same park).

It looks like Jester has beaten me to most of my comments. A couple additional thoughts (so far) ... Shouldn't Tunnel Trouble come before Manito Bridge? And some of the caches currently on the route will require pre-planning (It's About Time, for example) or will require a lot of extra time (Eternal Easter Egg Hunt 2006 seems to have quite a few steps it seems); could we mark those so folks will know to look at them ahead of time?

PDF file:

<snip>

Finally found it - it's archived.

I just want to know you you all over there know Pepper? That route looks like a map of Texas streched sideways a little! :blink:

We found that parking at Sullivan Park and accessing Hot Wheels Cache worked just fine, and folks will already be there for W is for Whether We Would... (not to mention possibly grabbing the other 2 caches in the same park).

It looks like Jester has beaten me to most of my comments. A couple additional thoughts (so far) ... Shouldn't Tunnel Trouble come before Manito Bridge? And some of the caches currently on the route will require pre-planning (It's About Time, for example) or will require a lot of extra time (Eternal Easter Egg Hunt 2006 seems to have quite a few steps it seems); could we mark those so folks will know to look at them ahead of time?

Doing W is for and the Hotwheels is a mistake. There is a median in the way and the only way this would work is one of three ways. 1. You take the bridge and loop around. 2. You drive over the median with an off road vehicle. 3. You illegally drive on the wrong side of the road and hope no one else is crossing the bridge.

However, doing Hotwheels first, and then driving to Sullivan park to do W is for works perfectly. There is no median.

Trust us...we've made this particular mistake several times working on W and Z. (oops...did we let something slip?)

Eternal Easter Egg hunt is on the Maybe list. I will look at the route again and see if it should be prior, or complete later one. Lisa, you want to make the changes for Wisfor and Hotwheels to switch them around. Same with W and Z...

YEAH!!!! The Bookmark list is up now. If there are any that need to be added/deleted, just tell me.

The Steaks

Edited by eagsc7

Eternal Easter Egg hunt is on the Maybe list. I will look at the route again and see if it should be prior, or complete later one. Lisa, you want to make the changes for Wisfor and Hotwheels to switch them around. Same with W and Z...

YEAH!!!! The Bookmark list is up now. If there are any that need to be added/deleted, just tell me.

The Steaks

I will work this weekend on updating the Saturday route, and getting out the Sunday route too. I have 2 questions:

1. Starting off: Is caching through the neighborhood by the Super 8 a good idea? I haven't done many of those caches, so I'm not sure about 100+ folks showing up at 6am to the first handful of caches. My first route had us going out to the state line rest area as there is ample parking, and people will disperse from there... We could even make that the 'start', as there are a lot of concerns about the space and getting into-out of the Super 8 parking lot.

2. Now that it's clear that most of the Hillyard caches are archived, I am thinking about re-routing to go west of Division. There is pretty good cache density out that way instead.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Lisa

Edited by Lookout Lisa

The Steaks

I will work this weekend on updating the Saturday route, and getting out the Sunday route too. I have 2 questions:

1. Starting off: Is caching through the neighborhood by the Super 8 a good idea? I haven't done many of those caches, so I'm not sure about 100+ folks showing up at 6am to the first handful of caches. My first route had us going out to the state line rest area as there is ample parking, and people will disperse from there... We could even make that the 'start', as there are a lot of concerns about the space and getting into-out of the Super 8 parking lot.

2. Now that it's clear that most of the Hillyard caches are archived, I am thinking about re-routing to go west of Division. There is pretty good cache density out that way instead.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Lisa

Agreed! The more caches in one area means less driving overall and is more bang for the buck, so to speak. The longer we have to drive from cache to cache should be avoided if can be.

Doing W is for and the Hotwheels is a mistake. There is a median in the way and the only way this would work is one of three ways. 1. You take the bridge and loop around. 2. You drive over the median with an off road vehicle. 3. You illegally drive on the wrong side of the road and hope no one else is crossing the bridge.

I'm obviously not explaining clearly enough. Here's how I would recommend routing those caches - Bring folks down Sullivan, going either direction, as dictated by the route's flow. Turn at the traffic light leading into the parking lot that serves as an access to the Sullivan Park parking lot. (Those of you familiar with the area know where I mean.) Park. Walk to W is for Whether We Would, the other Sullivan caches, and walk under the Sullivan Bridge to Hot Wheels Cache (before or after finding the others). That's how we got to the cache, an it worked just fine.

If there's public parking on the east side of the bridge we never found it. There's places to pull off but they looked private. By parking at Sullivan Park you probably don't cost yourself any extra time since you aren't hunting for a second parking spot and are only getting in and out of the vehicle once.

Which brings me to another thought I had. Lisa, Trevor ... it can be tricky in some places even for those of us with some knowledge of Spokane to figure out the best accesses and/or parking. The Riverfront Park area for example could be (and probably should be) a 'park once, run to several caches' location. That's what we did on the first cache machine. Trying to find the closest parking to each of the caches in the area would waste more time than walking from a single well-chosen parking spot would. How about using the waypoints feature to add parking coordinates in those instances? They could then be easily incorporated into the driving directions.

Ron/yumitori

...How about using the waypoints feature to add parking coordinates in those instances? They could then be easily incorporated into the driving directions.

Ron/yumitori

Better yet, convince the cache owners to add child waypoints to their caches then we get them in the PQs... :D

...How about using the waypoints feature to add parking coordinates in those instances? They could then be easily incorporated into the driving directions.

Ron/yumitori

Better yet, convince the cache owners to add child waypoints to their caches then we get them in the PQs... :(

Or add them as addtional waypoint on the CM page. :(

I'll be there. It's been a long time since I was on a cache machine, and I kinda miss it. :(

If someone needs a navigator, I'm willing. Or, conversely, if you want to navigate, I'll drive. No leisurely coffee stops, though -- this is a cache machine, and I'm looking forward to a breakneck pace from 6:00 a.m. until dinner.

I'll be there. It's been a long time since I was on a cache machine, and I kinda miss it. :)

If someone needs a navigator, I'm willing. Or, conversely, if you want to navigate, I'll drive. No leisurely coffee stops, though -- this is a cache machine, and I'm looking forward to a breakneck pace from 6:00 a.m. until dinner.

I guess that means you won't be caching with Prying Pandora again. :(:(:(:(

I'll be there. It's been a long time since I was on a cache machine, and I kinda miss it. :(

It looks like I'll be needing a partner too. I'd be happy to team up with you. Are you sure you want to wait until 6:00 am to start though? :(

It looks like I'll be needing a partner too. I'd be happy to team up with you. Are you sure you want to wait until 6:00 am to start though? :(

We've got room for a couple more, so if you guys want to hop in with us you're more than welcome! I'm a lousy navigator, so it would be nice to have somebody else riding shotgun. :)

No leisurely coffee stops, though

I guess that means you won't be caching with Prying Pandora again. :(:(:(:)

:( If there's three things I've learned while geocaching:

1) It's possible to be lost for two hours in a municipal park.

2) A douglas fir is not an Altoids tin's natural habitat.

3) Don't expect fast service from a barista in Sequim.

I've gotten lots of ride offers coming in already. I'll wait a few days then flip a coin _flipcoin_.gif

The Steaks!

One comment to this. Is there any way for people who don't show up to the event to get a coin before anyone who shows up to the event has a chance to buy one?

cheers,

Poppa J

That I know of, No. I'm getting in contact with a few vendors that can fill the order. Once I get a price quote, we'll have a limited number made for participants at the event. From there, I will retain the rights of the die, and more can be made by request only. I would like to have the coin sold to event-goers only, but if we don't get the minimum sold for the custom icon/trackable they would be sold after the event.

The Steaks

ISplash & I are looking into coming up for this adventure. We have never been to a cache machine. If we can make it, we'd like to hook up with a couple more people. We can drive or ride with someone else. I read thru all the notes and was a little confused on which hotel everyone is staying in. We also have Choice Hotels but didn't know if I should stay in the valley or on Division. Any suggestions? I'm waiting for ISplash to get back to town to confirm reservations.

Does anyone have access to Photoshop? I'm almost done with the coin design, but need to arc lettering around the outside fo the coin. Also, Does anyone else have any thoughts/reccomendations for the coin design? We've only got a few days to get things off to Coins and Pins to get the coins by the event!

Also, the Reservation for Super 8 on Argon Rd came thru. To reserve under our group for the event Call 509-928-4888 and tell them you are with the Spokane Cache Machine 2 group.

The Steaks!

Edited by eagsc7

ISplash & I are looking into coming up for this adventure. We have never been to a cache machine. If we can make it, we'd like to hook up with a couple more people. We can drive or ride with someone else. I read thru all the notes and was a little confused on which hotel everyone is staying in. We also have Choice Hotels but didn't know if I should stay in the valley or on Division. Any suggestions? I'm waiting for ISplash to get back to town to confirm reservations.

The Comfort Inn on Division has offered a group rate of $61.00 per night, which is about a $20.00 discount off their posted cheapest rate. You will have to phone that location directly to book a room and mention the Spokane Cache Machine group. I think quite a few of us have now booked rooms there, since it's only a few minutes away from the Saturday night dinner location. I don't have personal experience staying at this location.

The location in the Valley has rooms for $59.00 per night and is now back in the Choice Hotels program. I've stayed there a few times and haven't had any problems or complaints with the rooms or service.

I'll be there. It's been a long time since I was on a cache machine, and I kinda miss it. :rolleyes:

Hey Travis, great to see you back. Looks like we may be making this one as well.

I'll be there. It's been a long time since I was on a cache machine, and I kinda miss it. :rolleyes:

I guess that means you won't be caching with Prying Pandora again. :sad::lol::grin::grin:

Hey, it's not my fault that the only barista in Sequim was soooooooo sloooooooow. :D

I am delighted that you're jumping back in, Travis! :lol: I miss reading your funny logs.

The Comfort Inn on Division has offered a group rate of $61.00 per night, which is about a $20.00 discount off their posted cheapest rate. You will have to phone that location directly to book a room and mention the Spokane Cache Machine group. I think quite a few of us have now booked rooms there, since it's only a few minutes away from the Saturday night dinner location. I don't have personal experience staying at this location.

The location in the Valley has rooms for $59.00 per night and is now back in the Choice Hotels program. I've stayed there a few times and haven't had any problems or complaints with the rooms or service.

There may be a wrinkle. I just called Comfort Inn North to switch my reservation to the group rate and was told they would not award Choice points at the lower rate. :rolleyes: Since that's my reason for staying there, I may have to move back to the Valley Comfort Inn if they are indeed back in Choice's good graces. Geez, this is complicated for a hotel room....

Update: The Comfort Inn North (on Division) called back and said they would make exceptions and award Choice points at the lower group rate if you contact their hotel directly and request it with your reservation.

Edited by hydnsek

Should I look into getting a group rate for this location too? I have 40 rooms reserved already.(10@Super 8 in valley, 20@Quality Inn N Division, and 10@Comfort Inn N Division) Do we need more? If you are part of the Choice Points program, Request it with the group rate(as mentioned above).

Also, Here are the front and back of the coin for the event. Is it good? Is there anything to change?

F.jpgFront

B.jpgBack

The Coins will be the standard 42mm dia x 3mm thick. Blue on back may be recessed. Whats everyones thoughts?

The Steaks

Edited by eagsc7

I just tried downloading the route files from the cache page and I am receiving the message that the Geocities web site account has exceeded its transfer limit. Would it be possible to host these important files on a less restrictive site? If the transfer limit is being exceeded today, there's no way it will work as the date of the event draws closer.

Does anyone have access to Photoshop? I'm almost done with the coin design, but need to arc lettering around the outside fo the coin. Also, Does anyone else have any thoughts/reccomendations for the coin design? We've only got a few days to get things off to Coins and Pins to get the coins by the event!

Also, the Reservation for Super 8 on Argon Rd came thru. To reserve under our group for the event Call 509-928-4888 and tell them you are with the Spokane Cache Machine 2 group.

The Steaks!

There is a nice free image processing software that is very much like Photoshop. It's called Paint.NET and was originally developed by students at Wazzu.