Spokane Cache Machine

eagsc7

Wow! Haven't checked in here since I saw the first post last Sunday - this machine is taking on a life on its own (Hal, Frankenstein?). This is going to be a fun event and will be great to see everyone again here in Spokane. In case folks want to have a beer or two after they are done caching - but before the dinner at Old Country Buffet - there are several bars nearby. If I did the BB code thing right, the google map link should work below.

:huh::laughing::huh:

Bars near OCB

Ahh, I tried but afraid I'm not that google savvy - but you can do the search yourself...

Edited by Yellow Alligator

Wow! Haven't checked in here since I saw the first post last Sunday - this machine is taking on a life on its own (Hal, Frankenstein?). This is going to be a fun event and will be great to see everyone again here in Spokane. In case folks want to have a beer or two after they are done caching - but before the dinner at Old Country Buffet - there are several bars nearby. If I did the BB code thing right, the google map link should work below.

:huh::laughing::huh:

Bars near OCB

Sorry YA, your link didn't work for me... could you redo it?

If someone could provide links to the missing ones (how many have there been total?), I'd be glad to create a 'generic' Cache Machines bookmark list.

Thanks to everyone who provided links. I've created a Cache Machines bookmark list that should contain all previous CMs held in the Pacific Northwest. Please let me know if I'm missing any, and I'll keep it updated as new ones are scheduled.

Trivia:

• 16 Cache Machines so far; Spokane II will be 17
  • The legendary TravisL originated the CMs and hosted 12 of them
  • The first CM was Bremerton in December 2002 (right after Christmas!)
  • Bellingham and Bremerton have had two Cache Machines
  • Portland was the first two-day CM (and only, so far)
  • Two "international" CMs: Vancouver and Victoria
  • The Olympia CM was renamed "Snolympia" because of the lovely afternoon snowstorm

Edited by hydnsek

hrmm, I just checked about my costs of a hotel vs borrowing a RV and it apprears they are pretty much nearly the same.

options.

1.drive my own rig and get a room.

2.drive RV, find someone who wants to stay in the RV (its big, 35' or so) and save the cost of a hotel. Pitch in on my fuel cost a bit, but overall save compared to getting a expensive hotel room.

so if anyone may be interested in sleeping in a nice RV and cutting costs, please contact me so we can discuss it.

Patudles and I are heading over (watchout!! :laughing: ) We are staying at the Comfort Inn and I have the big cache mobile with room for 4 more.

Oops, she let the cat out of the bag, so you best be on the lookout cause the wild Wenatchee women are going to be there.

Yikes! The Comfort Inn may be outpolling the 'official' hotel. Glad I booked early, it's the happening spot with Prying Pandora, Half-Canadian, grossi, and now the wild Wenatchee women. And a little Birdy told me we might get a first-time CM appearance from the Barnabirdy(s); same lodging. :huh:

Yikes! The Comfort Inn may be outpolling the 'official' hotel. Glad I booked early, it's the happening spot with Prying Pandora, Half-Canadian, grossi, and now the wild Wenatchee women. And a little Birdy told me we might get a first-time CM appearance from the Barnabirdy(s); same lodging. :laughing:

Yes, I noticed that the Comfort Inn was getting all the bookings and sent an email to The Steaks about having it as the Spokane Cache Machine Headquarters, especially if there is a meeting room.

Another option, is using the Comfort Inn North (Comfort Inn North) which is much closer to the Saturday night Buffet on the north side of town. The Valley Comfort Inn is quite a distance away on the far east side of the Spokane Valley.

The Super 8 Motel is also in the Spokane Valley but closer to Spokane. It has a small parking lot which seems to be difficult getting in and out of, due to this high traffic, congested area. The Friday meeting could become a traffic nightmare. Just a few things to think about.....

Beer?

The first place that comes to mind is:

Northern Lights Brewing Co

(509) 242-2739

1003 E Trent Ave, Spokane, WA 99202

It is centrally located in the Gonzaga U district; has lots of parking and a big room that will hold a lot of people. (I think someone told me 70 or so). Their beer is good and they also serve food, if you need a late night snack or missed out at the Buffet.

Yikes! The Comfort Inn may be outpolling the 'official' hotel. Glad I booked early, it's the happening spot with Prying Pandora, Half-Canadian, grossi, and now the wild Wenatchee women. And a little Birdy told me we might get a first-time CM appearance from the Barnabirdy(s); same lodging. :laughing:

Hey, don't forget Scooter the Wonder Dog! She's got her own queen-size bed for this trip.

Yes, I noticed that the Comfort Inn was getting all the bookings and sent an email to The Steaks about having it as the Spokane Cache Machine Headquarters, especially if there is a meeting room.

Another option, is using the Comfort Inn North (Comfort Inn North) which is much closer to the Saturday night Buffet on the north side of town. The Valley Comfort Inn is quite a distance away on the far east side of the Spokane Valley.

The rooms at Comfort Inn North are almost $20.00 more per night than the Valley location. I've stayed at the Valley Comfort Inn 2 or 3 times and have always enjoyed my stay there. Parking isn't the greatest, but otherwise it's clean and comfortable, and Scooter is always given a warm welcome there!

The rooms at Comfort Inn North are almost $20.00 more per night than the Valley location.

I just checked at Hotels.com, and indeed the North location is $13 more. But for those of you saving up points in the "ChoiceHotels" program, you might want to know that the Valley location is no longer a Choice Hotel (I just talked to one of the Choice reps on the phone, who couldn't book me there because of that).

I booked the Super 8 since it was the cheapest of the three (I'm just taking it on faith that it's decent...I don't have personal experience with any of them).

The rooms at Comfort Inn North are almost $20.00 more per night than the Valley location.

I just checked at Hotels.com, and indeed the North location is $13 more. But for those of you saving up points in the "ChoiceHotels" program, you might want to know that the Valley location is no longer a Choice Hotel (I just talked to one of the Choice reps on the phone, who couldn't book me there because of that).

I booked the Super 8 since it was the cheapest of the three (I'm just taking it on faith that it's decent...I don't have personal experience with any of them).

GeekGirl is correct -- apparently the Spokane Valley location parted company with the Choice Hotel group...today. I just talked to one of their customer service reps who said it was "very unlikely" that the reward points would be given for stays previously booked at that location since they were no longer a Comfort Inn :laughing:

The other Comfort Inn location on North Division does have rooms available, more expensive but they do apparently feature french toast along with waffles for breakfast :huh: and it's only about a mile from the event dinner.

With Super 8 it is hard to judge. The one in Twin Falls Idaho is nice. The one in Ellensburg not so nice.

Others I've stayed at are between those 2.

GeekGirl is correct -- apparently the Spokane Valley location parted company with the Choice Hotel group...today. I just talked to one of their customer service reps who said it was "very unlikely" that the reward points would be given for stays previously booked at that location since they were no longer a Comfort Inn :laughing:

The other Comfort Inn location on North Division does have rooms available, more expensive but they do apparently feature french toast along with waffles for breakfast :huh: and it's only about a mile from the event dinner.

Holy Toledo! Thanks for the heads-up on that. It explains why the Comfort Inn mysteriously disappeared off the Choice Hotels map in the 24 hrs between my booking it and grossi trying to book it....

I called the hotel and the clerk on duty had no knowledge of the change; she was in disbelief. So I called Choice Hotels, as y'all did, and yep, they are no longer in the program. Frustrating that their website lets you book a room at a hotel that will be exiting the program in 24 hours. AND, I couldn't use the website to cancel the reservation, because it didn't recognize the hotel or reservation number; and the Choice customer service rep couldn't cancel it in their system, either; they had to call the hotel. :P

No matter. I am now rebooked at the Comfort Inn on North Division, as Laurie suggested. A little more pricey, but hopefully a program member in good standing :D , and close to the dinner, sounds like. See y'all there!

Edited by hydnsek

Trevor of Trevor and Kate should be available to ride with someone and give spoilers about caches if they want. We've done most if not all of the caches in the area and can be reached by Cell if people get stuck as well.

Are we or could we pass out a Spokane Cache Machine Locals Volunteer list with phone numbers of locals who volunteer to be spoiler givers? Just for the event of course :-p. I'm not talking about G&T's list.

Trevor of Trevor and Kate should be available to ride with someone and give spoilers about caches if they want. We've done most if not all of the caches in the area and can be reached by Cell if people get stuck as well.

Are we or could we pass out a Spokane Cache Machine Locals Volunteer list with phone numbers of locals who volunteer to be spoiler givers? Just for the event of course :-p. I'm not talking about G&T's list.

Thanks Trevor! Yes, A 'Phone a Cacher' list for the day would be great. Either email me or the Steaks your number if you want to be available to be called for help/hints the day of the Cache Machine and we'll compile a list to hand out the 28th.

Will you be only giving spoilers as quotes from movies?? :laughing::huh:

Edited by Lookout Lisa

Thanks Trevor! Yes, A 'Phone a Cacher' list for the day would be great. Either email me or the Steaks your number if you want to be available to be called for help/hints the day of the Cache Machine and we'll compile a list to hand out the 28th.

Will you be only giving spoilers as quotes from movies?? :laughing::huh:

I was thinking of getting at least 1 cell number from each vehicle, and giving my number to everyone. Of course a Phone a cacher is a good idea. I'll let Lookout Lisa take care of the Phone-a-Cacher list. Of course, you can still e-mail it to me. Either way.

I'll also work on getting a group rate at the Comfort Inn North. Give me a day, and I'll hopefully get it!

The Cache Page is UP!!!!!!! Check it out and say your coming HERE!

The Steaks

Edited by eagsc7

I spoke to the manager at the Spokane Valley Comfort Inn this morning regarding their status with Choice Hotels. She was unaware of the situation, and said she would phone me back after she had things straightened out.

She just called back and said that they were correcting some "paperwork issues" with Choice Hotels and would be back in their system later today, so no worries about an April reservation. I had already made a new reservation at the Comfort Inn North location last night, but hadn't cancelled the one for the Spokane Valley. I think I'll keep both reservations active until the date gets closer to make sure what she said was correct, and then cancel one of them. I don't want to miss out on the points for that stay, but this new reservation was $40.00 more for the two nights, so I'd rather keep the original reservation and save the money if I can, even if the location isn't as close to the event dinner.

Yikes! The Comfort Inn may be outpolling the 'official' hotel. Glad I booked early, it's the happening spot with Prying Pandora, Half-Canadian, grossi, and now the wild Wenatchee women. And a little Birdy told me we might get a first-time CM appearance from the Barnabirdy(s); same lodging. :D

KidAce and I are going with the Best Western just down the road... seems to have a good reasonable rate and a swimming pool for relaxing a touch on Friday night before the big event.

Poppa J

For Everyone's knowledge:

There are 20 Rooms at Quality Inn Oakwood. To make reservations under our group rate, Call (509) 467-4900.

There are 10 Rooms at Comfort Inn North. To Make Reservations under our group, Call (509) 467-7111.

I am still working on getting our group into the computer system at the Super 8 on Argone Rd.

For all of the above, you can mention either the Spokane Cache Machine 2

The Steaks

Edited by eagsc7

There are 20 Rooms at Comfort Inn North. To make reservations under our group rate, Call (509) 467-4900.

I am still working on getting our group into the computer system at the Super 8 on Argone Rd.

The Steaks

I just phoned the number you provided and got the front desk at the Quality Inn Oakwood. I then called the Comfort Inn North (509) 467-7111, but they had no record of a group reservation in our name for either April 27 or 28.

Can you reconfirm your information, please.

There are 20 Rooms at Quality Inn Oakwood. To make reservations under our group rate, Call (509) 467-4900. They are 78$/night.

There are 10 Rooms at Comfort Inn North. To Make Reservations under our group, Call (509) 467-7111. If I remember, the rate is like $60/night.

The Steaks

The previous post has been editied to read correct hotels and phone #s. Thanks for the quick response!

Also, Jester re-download the file from the Machine site.

MagKing, If you are running Win XP, you can download the file and XP has the things you need for un-ziping it. Else, goto www.winzip.com and download the trial version. I will insert a Table in the next few hours with each file by its-self in the cache page.

TheSteaks

There are 20 Rooms at Quality Inn Oakwood. To make reservations under our group rate, Call (509) 467-4900. They are 78$/night.

There are 10 Rooms at Comfort Inn North. To Make Reservations under our group, Call (509) 467-7111. If I remember, the rate is like $60/night.

The Steaks

The previous post has been editied to read correct hotels and phone #s. Thanks for the quick response!

Are the rates any different from their posted ones (I use AAA rate)?

:lol: Hey Everyone! I have a rough draft of the routes. Either post here, or email me for the file. Its in MapSource format.

I'll take a copy please. geo.allanon at gmail.com

I would like a copy. Can anyone put it in Googlemap format or Mapsend(Magellan) format also for those who do not have Garmin Mapsource? thanks. CHRISNSCOTT email: bivens6@excite.com

:lol: Hey Everyone! I have a rough draft of the routes. Either post here, or email me for the file. Its in MapSource format.

I'll take a copy please. geo.allanon at gmail.com

I would like a copy. Can anyone put it in Googlemap format or Mapsend(Magellan) format also for those who do not have Garmin Mapsource? thanks. CHRISNSCOTT email: bivens6@excite.com

I'll be putting it out in PDF format for everyone to read. I'll have to look into how exactly to do it in Googlmap!

GCMJVD

GCGR7H

GCEFD5

GCWQPV

GCF79E

One cache listed is 114 miles south: GC3102

And, one letterbox was included: LB10335

I hate it when you have caches on a PQ that don't update when they are archived. Grrrrrrr. Of course this is a Groundspeak issue, but I understand their reasoning.

MJVD-DELETED

GR7H- Did not find on my list... Hmmm

EFD5- Did not find on my list... Hmmm

WQPV-DELETED

F79E- Did not find on my list... Hmmm

As for the Letterbox, it is the Only one on the list, and thought it would be good to get. Of course, some of us have already found it. It is near an ond archived cache.

*As with any cache on the list, you don't Have to do it.*

As for the Formats... I will update the files on the Cache site, and get more file types up there. Be warned, IF the file uses GPX data in any way, you'll have to e-mail a premium member, due to the file data. I would love to just put it out there for all to see how Helpful a Premium Membership is, but Groundspeak changed their file policy after the last CM.

I can do the Google Map thing too

The Steaks

Edited by eagsc7

Be warned, IF the file uses GPX data in any way, you'll have to e-mail a premium member, due to the file data. I would love to just put it out there for all to see how Helpful a Premium Membership is, but Groundspeak changed their file policy after the last CM.

The Steaks

This is not correct. PQ data cannot be shared. I would suggest that everyone read this post by Rothstafari on the subject.