Advice on personal webpages/sites

tsunrisebey

Questions for some of you that are familiar/experienced with creating your own webpage/site;

I would like to create my own (personal) webpage/site that I could share with friends and family. I'm tailoring it to geocaching activities, pictures and of course other misc. "stuff". I don't know much about HTML, so I need a site that will basically help me build my pages and preferably free to start. (what sites to use?)

I've seen a couple of people with their own personal geocaching related/type sites, so I was hoping some of you could throw your suggestions out there or advice about some do's/don'ts, etc.

Thanks in advance :huh:

Tsun.

Edited by tsunrisebey

For someone like yourself, a php fusion site or nuke site that is a complete site CMS (Content management System) where you don't have to know anything about html as it does it all for you. I've used PHP Fusion system quite a bit now and I quite like it, it's very powerful for a $0 outlay.

You just need some hosting that is php based and a mysql database which is pretty easy to get and very cheap these days.

Edited by Team Webguy

For someone like yourself, a php fusion site or nuke site that is a complete site CMS (Content management System) where you don't have to know anything about html as it does it all for you. I've used PHP Fusion system quite a bit now and I quite like it, it's very powerful for a $0 outlay.

You just need some hosting that is php based and a mysql database which is pretty easy to get and very cheap these days.

Whoa! Sorry to say, but I think that's way over his head. :huh: Why don't you try Geocities? It's one of the oldest "free" website providers on the internet. It was taken over by Yahoo! a few years ago, so it's not going anywhere anytime soon. I know HTML, so I never checked this out, but they have a "page builder" that does not require any HTML knowledge.

A direct quote from the website: "Create a full-featured site without any HTML coding. Customize your pages with pictures, sounds, Add-Ons and more. Click "Launch PageBuilder" to start from scratch, or choose a pre-made template below."

Questions for some of you that are familiar/experienced with creating your own webpage/site;

I would like to create my own (personal) webpage/site that I could share with friends and family. I'm tailoring it to geocaching activities, pictures and of course other misc. "stuff". I don't know much about HTML, so I need a site that will basically help me build my pages and preferably free to start. (what sites to use?)

I've seen a couple of people with their own personal geocaching related/type sites, so I was hoping some of you could throw your suggestions out there or advice about some do's/don'ts, etc.

Thanks in advance :huh:

Tsun.

I'd probably suggest, in addition to other suggestions here, some type of WYSIWYG interface. What You See is What You Get. NetObjects Fusion is expensive but simplicity to use. Heck, you can even create a web page using Microsoft Word if you Want. I think Publisher haqs a few layouts to use.

Dreamweaver, for a novice, can be tough to learn, but is a really good design program.

Good luck and have fun.

--MGb

Edit - Spelling

Edited by mgbmusic

Whoa! Sorry to say, but I think that's way over his head. :huh: Why don't you try Geocities? It's one of the oldest "free" website providers on the internet. It was taken over by Yahoo! a few years ago, so it's not going anywhere anytime soon. I know HTML, so I never checked this out, but they have a "page builder" that does not require any HTML knowledge.

A direct quote from the website: "Create a full-featured site without any HTML coding. Customize your pages with pictures, sounds, Add-Ons and more. Click "Launch PageBuilder" to start from scratch, or choose a pre-made template below."

I'm a her :cry: Thanks for some of the suggestions all, whiteurkel is right, all of that was way over my head. I guess I should have been more clear, I was looking for page building type sites, where all I had to do is type my words, pick and choose from outlines, etc. simple stuff for the computer inept :huh:

I have seen geocities. Just thought more people had their own sites that they had done this way and may have liked them because it was easy. No big deal, I'm not trying to get something done in a week. I'll surf around some more and see what I can find.

Thanks again all,

Tsun.

I would like to create my own (personal) webpage/site that I could share with friends and family...

If you want it for friends and family an excellent choice is:

http://www.myfamily.com/

It takes only a couple of minutes to set it up and there is a 30 day free trial. Our family has used it for years and it has kept the familly close across the world. It is protected so only those you invite are allowed keeping the information private and away from hackers. If you keep it the charge is minimal.

Googlepages. Free, does the work for you, easy for beginners.

If you're interested in learning html, another method is to search other sites until you find one you like. Do a "view source" and you will see the html code they used. Copy it, and use it as a base for your own site. You'll be surprised. A little edit here and there and pretty soon it will be your own unique page. Sometimes all you need is a little jump start.

I'm by no means a web designer and still know nothing about HTML, but I have used Geocities for a web sight that I have constructed for our fantasy baseball league and it was pretty easy to build with Geocities. You can also upload your own pictures, backgrounds, and most cliparts. For beginners, it'll pretty much walk you through step by step on how to do it.