Topo & US Maps at the Same Time?

azspecter

Hey guys-

Is there a way to combine a US road maps & a Topo map at the same time? There's times when Im out caching and I need both- the TOPO doesn't give very many street details, and the US Map doesn't give all the TOPO details. How can I use both at the same time? Or is there a way to switch between the 2 types once I'm out in the field?

I am using Garmin 60CSx.

Thanks!

I just loaded both (City Navigator & Topo) on the my new CSX. A couple of observations.

- you should hide either CN or Topo if you are not using it. If you leave both open, the unit will need to redraw the screen for both, even though you can see only one. This takes more time and, I'm sure, batt. power.

- always, always show the base map. If you zoom way out to move around different states, like 20 miles+ scale, the base map takes over and redraws very quickly (since it is pretty sparse). Without the basemap, CN and Topo have tons of detail and redraws painfully slowly, even when selecting least detail on Topo.

Well that's my $0.02.

I've been intending to get around to this and just completed it today. Wow, is that great. I can't tell you how many times I've suffered because I didn't have my topo loaded. It all looks flat on CN and many dirt roads/trails are missing. Now I'm armed with data! :huh:

I got a load of information off this article that helped me understand the system better (and how to beat the 2025 map limit too). :huh:

So, is this what people are talking about when they use a custom map? They have both the streets AND topo in view at the same time? They dont have to turn one off to see the other, etc?

With the custom made transparent topo maps, the topo lines will show up along with the other map set (City Navigator, e.g.). If you have two commercial map sets loaded (CN and Topo), you can only see one at a time, switching between them as described above.

Edited by Klatch