WARNING: Break My Window - Car Thefts

reppans

If you need to park your car in a questionable area, try and leave absolutely **NO** evidence that you own a GPS unit. And by evidence, I mean:

- External Antenna

- Power cable

- Dashboard or windshield mount

- Even the telltale suction cup ring of a windshield mount

Portable GPSs have become the new car radio of the 80s - expensive and easy to steal and sell. The thieves know that many portable GPS users will simply hide their units under the seats, or in a glove box, when they leave the car. Unfortunately, it is often worth it for them to test that theory and break a window to find out. Leaving mounts, cords and suction cup imprints in sight just lets these slimes zero in on the most likely targets. For years, I never had a problem.... but it only takes once.

I was hit last year <_<. I made the mistake of always leaving my 2610 power cord in the cigarette lighter. Even though I did not have my GPS with me this time, they broke my window to find out. The only thing actually stolen was that cord, and they did not even bother touching a radar detector I had left on the windshield. Spoke to the cops who said a half dozen other cars were hit that night, all portable GPS users. I've subsequently read about this problem on a number of different car forums.

Don't give these slime bags a reason to hit your car.... leave no trace.

There was a warning about this in one of the local New York papers. Lots of cars broken into with evidence of gps units showing. Funny, I've had my truck parked in some out of the way places all across the country and I've had it broken into twice: once on 76th street on the upper east side of Manhattan, and the other in the main parking lot of a hospital I was working for in Phoenix, AZ.

My GPS sits in plain view in my car all the time. I frequently park in downtown Rochester at night. I have been doing this for years. Often, I don't even lock the doors. Haven't had it stolen yet. One of these days though. I am fortunate to live in an area where I can get away with this casual attitude. My home on the other hand, is a fortress.

sadly enough. It doesn't even have to be electronics.

I've been in the auto glass business for many years and the bad people out their will break into your vehicle and steal ANYTHING. Even if you think the item is worthless. When I go out to replace a broken side window I ask the car owner what was stolen. It's seems unreal what gets stolen.

Creeps will break your window to steal:

Half pack of cigarettes.

CD's lying on the seat.

Loose change in the cup holder. (even 50 cents)

Gym bags.

You ladies that hide your purse under the seat, be sure to fully hide the shoulder straps too.

Even if you think it's something not worth stealing, HIDE IT OUT OF SIGHT.

Believe me. It's not worth the aggravation, cost, and hassle to have your door glass replaced because some chump wanted your old sneakers in the back seat more than you do.

Hide your stuff.

But if you need some auto glass replaced. Call me. My web site is in the sig line. :unsure:

Edited by gpsjeep

When I used to work in PA at a Restaurant, probably half of the workers were criminals but straighten up after jail or other incidences, they would tell me a lot, we use to just park behind the strip mall and there was barely anyone out there and sometimes I would leave my wallet in my car just sitting on the passenger seat, one time one of my friends (a former car theif, etc) was like dude you should do that because if we would see a wallet in the car we would just break the window even if there would only be 5 dollars in the wallet. So pretty much if they think that can be anything worthwhile in your car in plain sight they will do it.

What I don't understand is why the electronic companies ( Garmin, Magellan, apple, etc ) don't password protect

their equipment. Since almost everything these days has to connect to the internet, it would be completely feasible to lock out any functionality in portable electronics unless a password or pin was entered. The companies would allow you to set the password only through their web site, where they could monitor the

serial number of the equipment. If your unit was stolen, you could report it to them, and any type of password resetting would be prohibited.

If dude is breaking into your car for a half pack of smokes or 50 cents... I really don't think he / she is going to understand that they will require a password to operate the stolen equipment, or care....

Look at all the satellite radio receivers stolen, they are all serialized and operated through pay for use services (ie: useless unless the owner is paying)... yet they get stolen....

Thieves are like crows....

"If you need some auto glass replaced. Call me. My web site is in the sig line."

---GPSJeep

About three years ago, I heard about a window film that made it nearly impossible to break the glass. It was being marketed for side windows in automobiles, patio doors in the home, and other 'favorite' spots for thieves to smash their way in.

Being in the glass business, do you know if that product still is available?

-Paul-

If you think stashing stuff in your trunk is good enough protection, remember that most cars have a glovebox trunk 'pop' button. Bust a window, open the glovebox, pop the trunk.

Lock you glovebox along with your doors.

A lot cars have a locking mechinism for the trunk that will disable the lever inside of the cab. That's why a car owner will receive three keys: two black and one grey. If the black keys are inserted into the trunk lock and rotated the opposite direction, then it will disable the trunk lever in the cab. The grey keys cannot open the trunk regardless.

I find that there's less chance of break-in if your windows are tinted. It makes the glass harder to break and darker interior hides things better.

It's no guarantee though. I don't even leave coins or jackets in the car. Even when there's nothing valuable to steal the inconvenience of a broken window is enough for me to always take all values with me. I've seen cars broken in for 50 cents.

I have the friction mount for my 60C that I just take with me, leaving no evidence, but the original poster does make a good point. Disc mounts rings and probably suction cup marks on your windshield could tip off a thief.

sadly enough. It doesn't even have to be electronics. . . .

Half pack of cigarettes.

CD's lying on the seat.

Gym bags.

Its true. Years ago, just before Oilers left Houston, I left two Oilers tickets setting on my dash board. A few hours later, I came back to find my windshield smashed and FOUR Oiler tickets setting on the dash!! :):(:huh:

Has anyone tried the mounts that make use of your car's drink holder? These would "leave no trace" of the presence of a GPS when you removed them. I've been thinking of trying one out but the RAM mount system utilizes a soda can and that seems a little rigged for a mount system. Are there any other good cup holder mounts out there?

Mark

sadly enough. It doesn't even have to be electronics. . . .

Half pack of cigarettes.

CD's lying on the seat.

Gym bags.

Its true. Years ago, just before Oilers left Houston, I left two Oilers tickets setting on my dash board. A few hours later, I came back to find my windshield smashed and FOUR Oiler tickets setting on the dash!! <_<<_<:ph34r:

Are you sure they weren't Arizona Cardinals tickets? That's the version I've heard :D

My GPS sits in plain view in my car all the time. I frequently park in downtown Rochester at night. I have been doing this for years. Often, I don't even lock the doors. Haven't had it stolen yet. One of these days though. I am fortunate to live in an area where I can get away with this casual attitude. My home on the other hand, is a fortress.

What kind of car do you drive again? <_<