Making Custom Topo Maps w/ MapSetToolKit, Rev 3

eaparks

Do you have to purchase the IDL in order to use the IDL VM? I couldn't tell from their site. Thanks !!!

You do not. You might have to register to download it, but I registered "part way" and then magically it just downloaded.

OK, I'll go ahead and try it. Thank You ! I also found what GeoCaching is....I know...I told you I'm a greenhorn....I bought the thing more for fishing, but this GeoCache looks to be fun. I put a couple in my GPS to try it. Might end up South of the Border somewhere though. :-) Thanks Again!

I am trying to take a Canada Enhanced basemap and make it transparent. I am starting by using 1 of the maps from the CD. I have followed all the directions and everything seems to work correctly untill I try to start Mapsource. I get a error I can copy to the clipboard and then it shuts down. The files are there as well as registry entries. I have to remove the mapset to get Mapsource working again. Any ideas? Will error report help?

Thanks

I am trying to take a Canada Enhanced basemap and make it transparent. I am starting by using 1 of the maps from the CD. I have followed all the directions and everything seems to work correctly untill I try to start Mapsource. I get a error I can copy to the clipboard and then it shuts down. The files are there as well as registry entries. I have to remove the mapset to get Mapsource working again. Any ideas? Will error report help?

Thanks

Mapsource cannot find TDB or img (preview map) file or TDB and imf (preview map) is not valid. Check your registry TDB and BMAP if each file is present in your HD

Cypherman

Cypherman has revised his MapSetToolKit to v1.15 making it even easier to use now. The entire Step-by-Step Instructions for making Custom Topo Maps, Rev. 3, has never been easier. Most anyone should now be able to make Custom Topo Maps.

The instructions can be printed in PDF from Cypherman's website: http://cypherman1.googlepages.com/Creating...hMapSetTool.pdf

I have revised the instructions for making Custom Topo Maps, Rev. 5. It clarifies a few areas that were creating some questions for 1st time map makers. Cypherman has a revisied MapSetToolKit v1.18 that corrects a couple of bugs. Both can be downloaded in .pdf from Cypherman's link posted in the number 1 post of this thread.

Thanks

Mapsource cannot find TDB or img (preview map) file or TDB and imf (preview map) is not valid. Check your registry TDB and BMAP if each file is present in your HD

Cypherman

The TDB and img files are there where they should be. The registry is correct. I suspect TDB or img files are not valid. What could be wrong. I followed the latest instructions in post above and also used 1.18 ver of Mapsettoolkit. The only difference is I am using a Mapsource map (from Garmin Canada Enhanced CD) instead of creating my own. All I want to do is make it transparent.

Thanks

Cypherman

The TDB and img files are there where they should be. The registry is correct. I suspect TDB or img files are not valid. What could be wrong. I followed the latest instructions in post above and also used 1.18 ver of Mapsettoolkit. The only difference is I am using a Mapsource map (from Garmin Canada Enhanced CD) instead of creating my own. All I want to do is make it transparent.

Can you send me your img map, img preview map and TDB?

I will check that

cypherman1 AT gmail (DOT) com

I have a question. I went through the Docs and created a Map (Yeah...Thanks!!). I've loaded the map into my Garmin GPS. While on the MAP page (within Garmin), I now see both map features. I searched all around and found I can HIDE the Basemap or my Custom map....So I'm good there. I also assume (from reading these emails) that if I make changes and reload the Custom map again it will replace it within my Garmin GPS. My question....How can I REMOVE the Custom map from within my Garmin GPS? I can uninstall it in MapSetToolkit....But not sure how I can remove it from my Garmin. BTW - My GPS is a Garmin 60CSx.

Any help would be appreciated!

I have a question. I went through the Docs and created a Map (Yeah...Thanks!!). I've loaded the map into my Garmin GPS. While on the MAP page (within Garmin), I now see both map features. I searched all around and found I can HIDE the Basemap or my Custom map....So I'm good there. I also assume (from reading these emails) that if I make changes and reload the Custom map again it will replace it within my Garmin GPS. My question....How can I REMOVE the Custom map from within my Garmin GPS? I can uninstall it in MapSetToolkit....But not sure how I can remove it from my Garmin. BTW - My GPS is a Garmin 60CSx.

Any time you load maps it will erase the previous maps. As for the basemap it is stored internally within the unit. In your 60csx the maps you load are stored on the micro sd card. So if you want to clear the maps just load another map and it will overwrite it.

Any time you load maps it will erase the previous maps. As for the basemap it is stored internally within the unit. In your 60csx the maps you load are stored on the micro sd card. So if you want to clear the maps just load another map and it will overwrite it.

I connected the 60CSx to my PC and went to Interface...and sure enough...I found a gmapsupp.img. I copied it to my PC (for a backup) and deleted it. Went back into the 60CSx and it's now gone...Exactly what I was after !!!! It wasn't causing me any problems, but I wanted to make sure I can clean-up maps before I get too carried away. :-)

THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!!!!

I connected the 60CSx to my PC and went to Interface...and sure enough...I found a gmapsupp.img. I copied it to my PC (for a backup) and deleted it. Went back into the 60CSx and it's now gone...Exactly what I was after !!!! It wasn't causing me any problems, but I wanted to make sure I can clean-up maps before I get too carried away. :-)

Just in case you don't realize it:

That gmapsupp.img file contains ALL of the maps that are sent to the GPSr by MapSource. So, in the future, if you upload City Navigator based maps of Colorado, AND your custom topo maps of Colorado for example, if you delete this file from the GPSr, you'll lose everything but the (very nearly useless) basemap (which is stored in the GPSr's non-volatile memory)

To delete JUST the custom topo maps in this case, you simply remove/delete them from the list of maps shown in MapSource's sidebar on the left, then re-download the remaining maps (City Navigator, other topo's, etc, etc) to the GPSr. You don't have to actually uninstall your custom map from MapSource.

You've already figured out a shortcut - keep a backup copy on your HDD of the gmapsupp.img file that contains the various maps that you really want, then just copy that over to the microSD when you're done playing with the temporary custom topos.

HTH-

-RenHoek

Just in case you don't realize it:

That gmapsupp.img file contains ALL of the maps that are sent to the GPSr by MapSource. So, in the future, if you upload City Navigator based maps of Colorado, AND your custom topo maps of Colorado for example, if you delete this file from the GPSr, you'll lose everything but the (very nearly useless) basemap (which is stored in the GPSr's non-volatile memory)

To delete JUST the custom topo maps in this case, you simply remove/delete them from the list of maps shown in MapSource's sidebar on the left, then re-download the remaining maps (City Navigator, other topo's, etc, etc) to the GPSr. You don't have to actually uninstall your custom map from MapSource.

You've already figured out a shortcut - keep a backup copy on your HDD of the gmapsupp.img file that contains the various maps that you really want, then just copy that over to the microSD when you're done playing with the temporary custom topos.

HTH-

-RenHoek

No, I didn't know that...Thanks for the additional info. Just as the name they give me on this forum "tadpole", I feel like a little tadpole in a big lake. :-) I don't know much about these GPS's....but I'm learning. Maybe later, they will change the name from "tadpole" to "Bullfrog". :-) Thanks Again!!!!

Hey all,

I know I am drudging up this thread again, but I am still looking for lake and water depth data. I have made several maps now and they do work on my 60CSx. I would like to have the depth data for some of the local lakes for fishing outings. I am sure I have missed it, but can someone help me please?

Thanks,

Coyot21

I have a few maps of southern arizona (mt. lemmon is quite good IMHO) at what i think is 24k. If anyone wants them send me a PM.

Also, is 24k consistent with the contour line breaks? If so I'd like to make sure all my maps work just like Mapsources 24k topo. Anyone have the information?

I have 30 spectacular maps of the Coachella Valley area in southern California. They work great and I worked hard in getting them ready to publish...

I want to share them to the world and so http://mapcenter.cgpsmapper.com/ seems perfect, however for the past couple weeks I have had the same issue ... it times out on upload. I have tried from work and from home. On a Mac and PC and with IE and Firefox - same result each time.

This is still a problem for me. I cannot upload and I have no clue why. Bus was able to upload one of my .mp files no problem. I would like to up them in my name, but am stuck here. If the http:// upload option worked - that might help. I donno - any thoughts here?

I've been trying to use this HOWTO guide all weekend long, and I keep hitting an error when trying to download from DEM data from USGS. I've tried each of the four download options ("multiple template" is preferred, as I want to make 15' topos for my area by combining four 7.5' topos), and I keep getting the same error. After I hit "submit" to enter the download page, it takes about 31 seconds to load a page with the following contents:

Seamless Data Distribution System
SDDS Error Page
There was an error processing your request

Error details:

There are no error details listed (it looks like there are supposed to be). All I can figure is that seamless.usgs.gov is broken this weekend, and will hopefully be fixed when a USGS sysadmin gets back to work on Monday. Is it working for anyone else?

Alright I have been thinking about this a lot lately. I started by following the directions found here and am trying to patiently work out all my issues.

I am to the point that I have the .mp files. I am trying to decide the best intervals for custom contour lines given the terrain here in Oregon. My concern is having contour lines that work with a data overlay. I am looking for what/where to down load the info found on a typical topo map for naming places, parks, etc Also a typical topo map has power lines etc. I know the data is out there its just data over load at this point. I think a lot of the data is at this site but how to get it into a map? http://geonames.usgs.gov/domestic/download_data.htm

Guys,

I've been trying for two weeks to create some topo/hydro maps for Texas to no avail. I'm getting two errors and can't seem to figure out what's going on. I've followed the guide exactly as it's written.

The first error is "Layer 0 of the map cannot be empty". If I crop out sections of the map I can make this error go away. I've re-downloaded and reprocessed the "problem" files through dem2topo and still get this error.

The second error I get when I trim the map down to an area around Davey Crockett National Forest. The error was posted on the page by "Cobber99" but nobody posted a fix - the error is "Bad Allocation" during processing by cGpsMapper. I cannot get around this error.

Are there any ideas out there on how to fix these problems? I'm more concerned with fixing the second issue since I can work around the first. I would really like a 10m topo of Texas, but all I really need is a 10m topo of my hunting grounds to be happy.

Thanks in advance!

Guys,

I've been trying for two weeks to create some topo/hydro maps for Texas to no avail. I'm getting two errors and can't seem to figure out what's going on. I've followed the guide exactly as it's written.

The first error is "Layer 0 of the map cannot be empty". If I crop out sections of the map I can make this error go away. I've re-downloaded and reprocessed the "problem" files through dem2topo and still get this error.

The second error I get when I trim the map down to an area around Davey Crockett National Forest. The error was posted on the page by "Cobber99" but nobody posted a fix - the error is "Bad Allocation" during processing by cGpsMapper. I cannot get around this error.

Are there any ideas out there on how to fix these problems? I'm more concerned with fixing the second issue since I can work around the first. I would really like a 10m topo of Texas, but all I really need is a 10m topo of my hunting grounds to be happy.

Thanks in advance!

As for the layer 0 cannot be empty it has to do when you set up your levels. If you take one of your maps and click on view then levels and select 0 you will not see anything. The reason is when you go to add a level(I do not have the instructions right in front of me) under file,map properties, levels tab you select level 0 and then insert before. What you want to do is highlight the bottom level whichever it is and select insert before. This also might be causing the Bad Allocation during the processing. Try this and get back to me. I know Cobber99 got it to work and if I remember right this was the problem.

As for the layer 0 cannot be empty it has to do when you set up your levels. If you take one of your maps and click on view then levels and select 0 you will not see anything. The reason is when you go to add a level(I do not have the instructions right in front of me) under file,map properties, levels tab you select level 0 and then insert before. What you want to do is highlight the bottom level whichever it is and select insert before. This also might be causing the Bad Allocation during the processing. Try this and get back to me. I know Cobber99 got it to work and if I remember right this was the problem.

No, that's not it. Even when I get this error I can select Level 0 in Map Edit and see the entire map. I do this from habit now before saving the map. I've also never entered something before Level 0 in the Levels page, I've always added them at the bottom.

What's worse, I can trim out portions of the mp and leave all the settings alone and get around this error, so it's not a setup or configuration problem.

No, that's not it. Even when I get this error I can select Level 0 in Map Edit and see the entire map. I do this from habit now before saving the map. I've also never entered something before Level 0 in the Levels page, I've always added them at the bottom.

What's worse, I can trim out portions of the mp and leave all the settings alone and get around this error, so it's not a setup or configuration problem.

I will pm you my email. Send me your .mp file and I will look at it.

I'm not sure which one to send you, I'm working with a set of a little over 3500 .mp files.

I've got more issues though, when I save all the .mp files that dem2topo makes into a single .mp file it saves just fine, but when I load it back up I only see about 5 contour lines, a far cry from what should be there.

After playing around with this I finally got GPSMapper to export. What I did was change the contour intervals from 20,200,500 feet (as mentioned in the .pdf) to 40,200,1000 as mentioned above. Finally, some progress.

HOWEVER, I started looking closer at the map and noticed a lot of spots where the contour lines weren't matching up, like they were offset a bit.

This whole process is very frustrating. Now to mention I've been waiting for about a week for my hydro data. I was relying on the high res hydro data to point out some good hunting spots deep in the woods.

I would be happy to send whatever files you need to pinpoint the issue, but I'm not sure which files out of my working set to send, as I said, I'm trying to compile a high-res topo/hydro map for the entire state of Texas.

I'm not sure which one to send you, I'm working with a set of a little over 3500 .mp files.

I've got more issues though, when I save all the .mp files that dem2topo makes into a single .mp file it saves just fine, but when I load it back up I only see about 5 contour lines, a far cry from what should be there.

After playing around with this I finally got GPSMapper to export. What I did was change the contour intervals from 20,200,500 feet (as mentioned in the .pdf) to 40,200,1000 as mentioned above. Finally, some progress.

HOWEVER, I started looking closer at the map and noticed a lot of spots where the contour lines weren't matching up, like they were offset a bit.

This whole process is very frustrating. Now to mention I've been waiting for about a week for my hydro data. I was relying on the high res hydro data to point out some good hunting spots deep in the woods.

I would be happy to send whatever files you need to pinpoint the issue, but I'm not sure which files out of my working set to send, as I said, I'm trying to compile a high-res topo/hydro map for the entire state of Texas.

As for your hydro data put in another request and see if that helps. My suggestion is to start off small. Start off with a very small area and get that to work then think bigger. I know if you use to large of areas things get very tricky. Send me a small area that you already did the modifications in gpsmapedit and you can't get it to work and I will look at it.

My latest attempts with MapSetToolKit resulted in a termination error. I had to make my mapset directly with GPSmapper. Is anyone experiencing this?

Also, I would like to convert DLG files to mp format, but don't want to purchase Global Mapper. Is there a freeware program that will do this?

Cypherman has revised his MapSetToolKit to v1.15 making it even easier to use now. The entire Step-by-Step Instructions for making Custom Topo Maps, Rev. 3, has never been easier. Most anyone should now be able to make Custom Topo Maps.

The instructions can be printed in PDF from Cypherman's website: http://cypherman1.googlepages.com/Creating...hMapSetTool.pdf

I have been trying to use this method of creating Topo maps. I successfully download the GeoTIFF file from the SEAMLESS server according to the instructions (just a small file for test purposes) but when I try to load it into DEM2TOPO it says that there is an "Error in processing" and asks if I want to continue. I can click continue but DEM2TOPO does not create an .mp file. I'm using the latest version of DEM2TOPO--2.9.

What am I doing wrong?