Making Custom Topo Maps w/ MapSetToolKit, Rev 3

eaparks

Cyherman

Yes, gpsdaemon can read this file outside the GPSr.

Select File in Map source group (see the image) and to put your file gmapsupp.img in the home temp directory.

gpsdaemon_1.JPG

Ye, I definitely selected File as you have shown. Then at the bottom it asked where the gmapsupp.img file was located. I created a path to the file.

I believe I next clicked Create, that's when it locked up. I had to use Task Mgr to close GPSDaemon.

Do you think moving gmapsupp.img to another directory would make a difference?

Thanks

Hermit

If you changed for another directory, there's no difference. I does not understand why.

I ever had problem with gpsdaemon since I use it. At least it working with your GPSr. That gives the same result.

I know that there is also the program gpsexplorer which makes the same thing I believe. I ever used it, You can test it

Cypherman

Cypherman

At least it working with your GPSr. That gives the same result.
That locks GPSDaemon too, it just goes further.

When I first click Create it opens a new window where I can see all the map segments. It also says there is an error. There is some kind auto fix, I click Yes/Ok and the window close and all the map segments are xferred to the primary window. At that point its locked up. Again have to use Task Mgr.

FWIW, I'm running WinXP SP2 on a Core Duo laptop.

Thanks

Hermit

Success!!! :lol:

I added the water data and re-exported the img file. When I changed the file to gmapsupp.img and opened it in the Venture, I saw only the river and a text field saying: Map Created with gpsmapper.com. I then zoomed in and was able to see the contours starting at 800' zoom.

It's possible that the other map was there, I just didn't zoom in enough. However, the DenW.img map from my other post had a box showing its extent on the base map, this one doesn't.

Off to play. :P

Thanks

Hermit

Really Quite Amazing!!!

I remember looking at Garmin's 24K NP series and was VERY dissapointed in the crappy jagged contours. These are beautiful. Flowing, smooth, just like a paper map.

I picked 40, 200, 1000 feet as my contour intervals, at 800' zoom only the 200' contours appear. While at 500' zoom the 40' contours first appear. Close but VERY readable. So thanks for the default settings, work very well.

One niggle, suspect its related to Garmin, when I put the pointer on a blue waterway it says river, but some of these are dry washes that have flowing water one day in 365, after a heavy thundershower. Is their anyway to classify the streams, ie: River, Creek, Wash, etc so that the pointer correctly identifies the feature?

Many thanks for making this such a useful tool.

Hermit

Really Quite Amazing!!!

I remember looking at Garmin's 24K NP series and was VERY dissapointed in the crappy jagged contours. These are beautiful. Flowing, smooth, just like a paper map.

I picked 40, 200, 1000 feet as my contour intervals, at 800' zoom only the 200' contours appear. While at 500' zoom the 40' contours first appear. Close but VERY readable. So thanks for the default settings, work very well.

One niggle, suspect its related to Garmin, when I put the pointer on a blue waterway it says river, but some of these are dry washes that have flowing water one day in 365, after a heavy thundershower. Is their anyway to classify the streams, ie: River, Creek, Wash, etc so that the pointer correctly identifies the feature?

Many thanks for making this such a useful tool.

Hermit

Glad to hear Cypherman was able to help get your Custom Map working. He's great at figuring out these problems and is very patient and willing to help others by sharing his expertise.

You may already be doing this but just in case you aren't: When viewing your Custom Map on your GPSr if you change your map setting to "most" your contour lines and water data will appear sooner than your zoom level of 800'. menu > menu > setup > map > scroll to "Map Setup - General" screen > scroll down to "Detail" and change to "more" or "most". On my custom topo map with the GPSr detail set to "most" my water data begins to show up at a zoom level of 1.3 miles and the major contour lines beging to show up at 0.8 miles and minor contour lines show up at 0.3 miles; yours should display at the same levels.

As far as the water date and the dry wash issue, I've experienced similar issues with swampy areas be depicted as rivers when in reality they are practically dry. (Swampy are may be 500 yards wide and river is only 100 ft. wide but on Custom Map it shows all 500 yards wide as the river.) I think this is more of an issue with the USGS data and how it is compiled for their use. I haven't found a solution to correct it yet. I'd be interested in knowing if anyone else has had similar situations and found a solution.

Edited by eaparks
You may already be doing this but just in case you aren't: When viewing your Custom Map on your GPSr if you change your map setting to "most" your contour lines and water data will appear sooner than your zoom level of 800'. menu > menu > setup > map > scroll to "Map Setup - General" screen > scroll down to "Detail" and change to "more" or "most".
It was set to Normal, I changed it to More, I'll play with this setting and see what I get. This thing has so many settings/options I doubt I'll ever master them all.

Thanks

Hermit

I'm trying to create my own maps to show both TOPO and streets for my roadtrip coming up this week. However, while installing IDL VM, I get an error and it won't let me install. It is a 'Feature Transfer Error' and says 'ErrorL -1633 This installation package is not supported by this processor type. Contact your product vendor.
Knowing your processor and OS would be basic pieces to the puzzle, wouldn't you think?

Hermit

As far as the water date and the dry wash issue, I've experienced similar issues with swampy areas be depicted as rivers when in reality they are practically dry. (Swampy are may be 500 yards wide and river is only 100 ft. wide but on Custom Map it shows all 500 yards wide as the river.) I think this is more of an issue with the USGS data and how it is compiled for their use. I haven't found a solution to correct it yet.
I did a little more checking into this and I suspect its a function how we use the supplied hydrologic data. On a Topo USA map it will show stream as a water feature type, they're not all rivers. However, the dry wash that peaked my interest is labeled as the Arkansas River by Topo USA. Since its unlikely Garmin did this, there must be source data errors.

Hermit

As far as the water date and the dry wash issue, I've experienced similar issues with swampy areas be depicted as rivers when in reality they are practically dry. (Swampy are may be 500 yards wide and river is only 100 ft. wide but on Custom Map it shows all 500 yards wide as the river.) I think this is more of an issue with the USGS data and how it is compiled for their use. I haven't found a solution to correct it yet.
I did a little more checking into this and I suspect its a function how we use the supplied hydrologic data. On a Topo USA map it will show stream as a water feature type, they're not all rivers. However, the dry wash that peaked my interest is labeled as the Arkansas River by Topo USA. Since its unlikely Garmin did this, there must be source data errors.

Hermit

A possible explanation: what I am familiar with in TN, MS, and AL is the Tennessee River that is regulated by TVA (Tennessee Valley Authority) which is controlled by the Federal Gov't but is under going some changes now. From all practical stand points TVA owns the river all 600 plus miles. Anything, built on the river or coves, and etc. has to be approved and permitted by TVA before you can build a pier, boathouse or anything else. Technicallly they don't control the land next to the river, but here's the catch, TVA also controls ,you might as well say owns, all the land all along the river and coves that touches the waters edge. The land goes up to a specified elevation above sea level above normal water level. In shallow sloping land this boundary may go 100' horizontally from the waters edge in steeper areas it may only be 10' horizontally from the waters edge. Since TVA is a gov't agency I fully expect that gov't records show the river extending from TVA's property boundary to the opposite shores property boundary, both of which will be some distance above the actual water level. From a use perspective that entire area is the river to TVA and I suspect that we are seeing this in some situations on USGS data. It coud even be something that applies to navigatible bodies of water which the Arkansas River is even though navigation on the Arkansas River is many hundreds of miles from you, but it may apply to everything labeled the Arkansas River.

A possible explanation: what I am familiar with in TN, MS, and AL is the Tennessee River that is regulated by TVA (Tennessee Valley Authority) which is controlled by the Federal Gov't but is under going some changes now. From all practical stand points TVA owns the river all 600 plus miles. Anything, built on the river or coves, and etc. has to be approved and permitted by TVA before you can build a pier, boathouse or anything else. Technicallly they don't control the land next to the river, but here's the catch, TVA also controls ,you might as well say owns, all the land all along the river and coves that touches the waters edge. The land goes up to a specified elevation above sea level above normal water level. In shallow sloping land this boundary may go 100' horizontally from the waters edge in steeper areas it may only be 10' horizontally from the waters edge. Since TVA is a gov't agency I fully expect that gov't records show the river extending from TVA's property boundary to the opposite shores property boundary, both of which will be some distance above the actual water level. From a use perspective that entire area is the river to TVA and I suspect that we are seeing this in some situations on USGS data. It coud even be something that applies to navigatible bodies of water which the Arkansas River is even though navigation on the Arkansas River is many hundreds of miles from you, but it may apply to everything labeled the Arkansas River.
Possible.

But the real issue is that everything is a river on the custom topo. Since I've only made one map, and it was by your "cookbook" I did no thinking, just turned the crank. I suspect their are choices that will solve this minor problem. It was and is a niggle. I'm just thrilled I have a map that works so well. If you consider the entire process, so many choices. It's a tribute that you and cyberman got this so right. Heck, one could make a career out of that whole process.

Hermit

Map Joints? Butt? Overlap?

Has anyone made any conclusions regarding the zones where two of these custom maps come together. Is it best to butt them? Overlap them, by how much? In GPSMapEdit, there does not appear to be a way to numerically define the trim bounds, only to watch the status bar for the value.

Also how big can these maps be in practical terms? In paper maps we have 7.5' and 15' maps, are those about right or is it practical to go bigger?

BTW, the USGS database appears non-functional today. All my data extractions result in an error page with no explanation.

Thanks

Hermit

Map Joints? Butt? Overlap?

Has anyone made any conclusions regarding the zones where two of these custom maps come together. Is it best to butt them? Overlap them, by how much? In GPSMapEdit, there does not appear to be a way to numerically define the trim bounds, only to watch the status bar for the value.

Also how big can these maps be in practical terms? In paper maps we have 7.5' and 15' maps, are those about right or is it practical to go bigger?

BTW, the USGS database appears non-functional today. All my data extractions result in an error page with no explanation.

Thanks

Hermit

set the Trim box...right click...Properties...enter coordinates

Edited by rws

First post ever, anywhere. Hope I'm doing it right. I stumbled on this "create your own topo thing" awhile back and decide to try it. A big thankyou to those responsible, it's a pretty cool thing. Any way, getting back to the point...

I too am having minor issues with water ways. I would quote the post above, but I'm kind of simple minded, so I got to take this formum thing one step at a time. I'm doing an area in Michigan's UP which is fairly swampy. The swampy areas show up as light blue, which is the same as the lakes. That makes it hard to distinguish between the two. I would like to change the swampy areas from a solid color to a swamp symbol (looks like kinda like clumps of blue hair).

I tried a few things that didn't work, but I haven't given up yet. I'll have more time this weekend and if I bumble into a solution I'll try to pass it on. Meanwhile if one of you happen to figure it out, please post it.

Happy map making.

Map Creation Data:

This morning I created a 15 Minute map, to determine how long on my computer it took.

Download the ~28MB DEM file = 12 min

Convert using Dem2Topo = 11 min

Convert .mp to .img using cgpsmapper = 37 min

I had the hydrologic data from a previous DL. The importing and adjusting levels added another ~30 min. I did this on my Core Duo laptop with 1.5MB of RAM. Cgpsmapper is not multi-processor aware so having a multiple core processor was of no value. Also, memory was not an issue, cgpsmapper was using less than half my RAM.

FWIW

Hermit

EDIT: To clarify, 15' means 15 Minutes of Arc, NOT 15 foot

Edited by MtnHermit

Map Creation Data:

This morning I created a 15' map, to determine how long on my computer it took.

I had the hydrologic data from a previous DL. The importing and adjusting levels added another ~30 min. I did this on my Core Duo laptop with 1.5MB of RAM. Cgpsmapper is not multi-processor aware so having a multiple core processor was of no value. Also, memory was not an issue, cgpsmapper was using less than half my RAM.

FWIW

Hermit

Hi Hermit

Since you have done a map with 15' and 40' minor contour lines, what do you think gives good detail but doesn't clutter the map to much for your minor contour lines for custom topo maps that have large changes in elevation (map with elevations of 8,500' - 12,000')? I'll be making a custom topo before I come back out there this fall.

Thanks

Map Creation Data:

This morning I created a 15' map, to determine how long on my computer it took.

FWIW

Hermit

One trick to speed up the process a little is to make your .mp file then upload it to mapcenter. The site will compile your map to the .img file where you can then download it and use it. Of course you do not get your map right away but it does save time.

One trick to speed up the process a little is to make your .mp file then upload it to mapcenter. The site will compile your map to the .img file where you can then download it and use it. Of course you do not get your map right away but it does save time.

Thanks for the tip, I suspect a high speed internet connection might make that worthwhile. Here in Hermitville, I'm happy it's working, forget HS.

My complied .mp file was 38MB, so given the DL time for the smaller DEM set, I'd guess the UL to be ~20 min. Therefore not much help.

BTW, the .img file was 1.6MB.

Hermit

Maps are Missing Named Summits and Trails

I made a 2nd 15' map today, the detail is amazing. Even tiny water features w/o names are appearing, never seen a vector map have this much detail. I'd like to figure out how to add named summits and hiking trails. My suspicion is that the data is in the DEMs or I have to add that to the DEMs DL. Does anyone have a clue how to do this?

Thanks

Hermit

I made a 2nd 15' map today, the detail is amazing. Even tiny water features w/o names are appearing, never seen a vector map have this much detail. I'd like to figure out how to add named summits and hiking trails. My suspicion is that the data is in the DEMs or I have to add that to the DEMs DL. Does anyone have a clue how to do this?

Thanks

Hermit

Just something for you to consider: Sounds like you are going to start adding data to your custom topo/hydrography map. I prefer to put waypoints (could be mtn. peaks or anything else named) and tracks (trails/roads, etc.) as a seperate Custom Map from my topo and water data and also put the 2 custom maps in different "mapsets" such as "Custom Maps" and "Custom Topo Maps". Reason for this: 1. either mapset can be toggled to "hide" or "show" very quickly on your GPSr map page while still seeing the other custom map. 2. easier to update due to less info. to compile/quicker. 3. If you have a lot of trails in close proximity the map can get hard to view with a lot of 15' topo lines so with a quick change you can "hide" "Custom Topo Maps" and still see your "Custom Map" using the regular Mapsource U.S. Topo map. 4. I find this method a lot more inducive to updating my maps as they grow due to me adding more data to them. I have one map that the topo/hydrography data I never change but the custom map with waypoints and trails I'm constantly adding to and both maps cover the same area. Something else may work better for you, just thought I pass this along since I had to find it out the hard way. You may also already be aware of this, but maybe it will be of interest to others, if you name your track (ex. "Beckwith Mtn. Pass Trail" in the .gdb file) before making your .mp file, your finished map will show that name, "Beckwith Mtn. Pass Trail", when you move your GPS's pointer to that trail.

Just something for you to consider: Sounds like you are going to start adding data to your custom topo/hydrography map. I prefer to put waypoints (could be mtn. peaks or anything else named) and tracks (trails/roads, etc.) as a seperate Custom Map from my topo and water data and also put the 2 custom maps in different "mapsets" such as "Custom Maps" and "Custom Topo Maps". Reason for this: 1. either mapset can be toggled to "hide" or "show" very quickly on your GPSr map page while still seeing the other custom map. 2. easier to update due to less info. to compile/quicker. 3. If you have a lot of trails in close proximity the map can get hard to view with a lot of 15' topo lines so with a quick change you can "hide" "Custom Topo Maps" and still see your "Custom Map" using the regular Mapsource U.S. Topo map. 4. I find this method a lot more inducive to updating my maps as they grow due to me adding more data to them. I have one map that the topo/hydrography data I never change but the custom map with waypoints and trails I'm constantly adding to and both maps cover the same area. Something else may work better for you, just thought I pass this along since I had to find it out the hard way. You may also already be aware of this, but maybe it will be of interest to others, if you name your track (ex. "Beckwith Mtn. Pass Trail" in the .gdb file) before making your .mp file, your finished map will show that name, "Beckwith Mtn. Pass Trail", when you move your GPS's pointer to that trail.
If I understand you correctly, I can have multiple transparent maps on at the same time. Best to keep user data separate from map data, smaller files and faster/easier to update. I'm convinced.

I confused you by my use of 15' it is not 15 feet rather 15 minutes of arc. Therefore the two maps I created today were 15' x 15' of arc. A 15 minute map used to be common in paper. I wanted a size that would be manageable is terms of DEMs data size and .img map size and fit into a degree an integer number of times.

So given that you showed me how to use more/less detail on the GPSr, 15 minute map segments with 40, 200 foot contours work very well.

So given that all the streams and lakes are named, I'd like to get the summits named too.

Thanks

Hermit

BTW, I'm going to email you my latest 15' map, its got 7 unnamed Fourteeners, but all the lakes and streams are named.

If I understand you correctly, I can have multiple transparent maps on at the same time. Best to keep user data separate from map data, smaller files and faster/easier to update. I'm convinced.

I confused you by my use of 15' it is not 15 feet rather 15 minutes of arc. Therefore the two maps I created today were 15' x 15' of arc. A 15 minute map used to be common in paper. I wanted a size that would be manageable is terms of DEMs data size and .img map size and fit into a degree an integer number of times.

So given that you showed me how to use more/less detail on the GPSr, 15 minute map segments with 40, 200 foot contours work very well.

So given that all the streams and lakes are named, I'd like to get the summits named too.

Thanks

Hermit

BTW, I'm going to email you my latest 15' map, its got 7 unnamed Fourteeners, but all the lakes and streams are named.

Yes, I'd like to see your 40 ft. minor contour lines for the Rockies and, Yes, you can have multiple custom transparent maps (even for the same area) all display on your GPSr at the same time. For instance you could have CN and a custom transparent topo map and a custom transparent map with trails, roads, scenic overlooks, old mines, mtn. names, campsites, etc. with all 3 maps covering the same area with different data and you would be able to see the data from all 3 maps. If the custom maps were in different "mapsets" you could even "hide" or "show" any of the 3 maps easily just like you do the regular CN, U.S. Topo, or Base Map. This would also give you the flexibiltiy of making the non custom topo map where you could put every trail/mtn. road and desired waypoints for a 50 mile area (or whatever size) if you wanted to in this map and it would still be a small number of MBs in size. It takes a whole lot of waypoints and tracks to make a map of any MBs in size.

Quick questions:

1. As I do this (and it is screaming fast on this iMac - so pumped about that!): Is there any convention I should be using for both the numerical and the traditional alpha-numeric names for these maps? I would like to share them once completed, so this is important or not?

(Step 5. B. 2.&3. is where I am asking about)

2. Should I add all the maps (there are 12 of the valley here) in the DEM2TOPO program so as to make on large map or is it better to keep them separated for some reason?

Edited by Cobber99
1. As I do this (and it is screaming fast on this iMac - so pumped about that!): Is there any convention I should be using for both the numerical and the traditional alpha-numeric names for these maps? I would like to share them once completed, so this is important or not?

(Step 5. B. 2.&3. is where I am asking about)

My experience: I don't use Mapsource rather Img2gps and it cares not about the img file name. As to the eight-digit numeric, I suspect it does matter but their are 10-million possible combinations.

2. Should I add all the maps (there are 12 of the valley here) in the DEM2TOPO program so as to make on large map or is it better to keep them separated for some reason?
If you add 12, you'll get 12. The mp file Dem2Topo creates is the input to GPSMapEdit.

Hopefully, you gone through the entire process once and viewed the map on your GPSr first. I would definitely NOT start with 12. cGPSmapper takes a LOT of time. For me 35-55 minutes for a single 15-minute map.

Hermit

My experience: I don't use Mapsource rather Img2gps and it cares not about the img file name. As to the eight-digit numeric, I suspect it does matter but their are 10-million possible combinations.

I ended-up going with the same number that the DL-ed file had - doh :(

If you add 12, you'll get 12. The mp file Dem2Topo creates is the input to GPSMapEdit.

Hopefully, you gone through the entire process once and viewed the map on your GPSr first. I would definitely NOT start with 12. cGPSmapper takes a LOT of time. For me 35-55 minutes for a single 15-minute map.

Cool - I didn't know that it did batches like that. Currently I am processing one of them and am at the cGPSmapper export stage. I am hoping to get this file done before I leave for the day so that I can load it into my GPS here and be sure it is working fine. If it is - I will batch the other 11. If it dosen't, you will hear from me lol :)

Thanks for all the help! I'm pumped to get this project done and then post over in the SoCal area letting them know where to get the maps :(

I ended-up going with the same number that the DL-ed file had - doh :grin:

Cool - I didn't know that it did batches like that. Currently I am processing one of them and am at the cGPSmapper export stage. I am hoping to get this file done before I leave for the day so that I can load it into my GPS here and be sure it is working fine. If it is - I will batch the other 11. If it dosen't, you will hear from me lol :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the help! I'm pumped to get this project done and then post over in the SoCal area letting them know where to get the maps :lol:

Just wandering how they turned out??

I found out what my problem was!

The settings in step 6? You really have to pay attention to the numbers (see the red text below):

Level0=24 bits mapsource zoom=under1.2km

Level1=23 bits mapsource zoom=1.2-3km

Level2=22 bits mapsource zoom=3-8km

NOTE: no level 21 is to be used here!

Level3=20 bits mapsource zoom=8-12km

Level4=19 bits mapsource zoom=12-30km

This may save another poor soul from the same mistake I was making...

Well, I don't know if this is normal, but the export step using xGPXmapper? Yeah, it's taking a day per map. All steps previous to this with all 12 maps were reasonably quick.
I experienced a ratio of 1:3 to 1:5, Dem2Topo : cGPSmapper.

How big is your coverage, in minutes of arc per side?

Hermit

How do I determine that number?

Well, I don't know if this is normal, but the export step using xGPXmapper? Yeah, it's taking a day per map. All steps previous to this with all 12 maps were reasonably quick.
I experienced a ratio of 1:3 to 1:5, Dem2Topo : cGPSmapper.

How big is your coverage, in minutes of arc per side?

Hermit

How do I determine that number?

How large are your files after you convert them using dem program? When I download the data I keep them rather small. It will make your life easier. You can always load as many maps as you want. For each county here in PA I usually split the county into 4 sections.

Just looking at your screen capture, I'd say your files are an order of magnitude too large.

Hermit

You will have to forgive me, I am completely new to this so... when you say that they are an order of magnitude too large, what do you mean in terms of what I should be doing here?

How large are your files after you convert them using dem program? When I download the data I keep them rather small. It will make your life easier. You can always load as many maps as you want. For each county here in PA I usually split the county into 4 sections.

In filesize they are between 69 and 184MB per file.

If you mean in coverage area, each is the same size and an example of bounds for one file would be:

N: N34°20.052'

S: N33°53.425'

E: W116°50.397'

W: W117°03.403'

Here is header info from one of the files:

; Generated by GPSMapEdit 1.0.33.5

ID

ID=15876149

Name=15876149

Preprocess=F

TreSize=500

TreMargin=0.02000

RgnLimit=250

Transparent=Y

POIIndex=N

Copyright=

Levels=5

Level0=24

Level1=23

Level2=22

Level3=20

Level4=19

Zoom0=0

Zoom1=1

Zoom2=2

Zoom3=3

Zoom4=4

[END-IMG ID]

Man, I am feeling dumb here. I will do anything needed to get this working. If I were to split the files up, how do I do this?

Edited by Cobber99

Just looking at your screen capture, I'd say your files are an order of magnitude too large.

Hermit

You will have to forgive me, I am completely new to this so... when you say that they are an order of magnitude too large, what do you mean in terms of what I should be doing here?

In filesize they are between 69 and 184MB per file.

If you mean in coverage area, each is the same size and an example of bounds for one file would be:

N: N34°20.052'

S: N33°53.425'

E: W116°50.397'

W: W117°03.403'

Here is header info from one of the files:

; Generated by GPSMapEdit 1.0.33.5

ID

ID=15876149

Name=15876149

Preprocess=F

TreSize=500

TreMargin=0.02000

RgnLimit=250

Transparent=Y

POIIndex=N

Copyright=

Levels=5

Level0=24

Level1=23

Level2=22

Level3=20

Level4=19

Zoom0=0

Zoom1=1

Zoom2=2

Zoom3=3

Zoom4=4

[END-IMG ID]

Man, I am feeling dumb here. I will do anything needed to get this working. If I were to split the files up, how do I do this?

These are pretty large. What you can do is when you open one up in gpsmapedit you can crop it to make smaller fragments to work with. This will save you from downloading them again and converting them. When I download data I keep it under 25MB. There is a filter on the webpage that allows you to do this. If you want you could download a very small section and try to get it to work first. This will save you a lot of time and if you have problems you will find them quickly and we can help out. Hang in there. If you are willing we will help.

These are pretty large. What you can do is when you open one up in gpsmapedit you can crop it to make smaller fragments to work with. This will save you from downloading them again and converting them. When I download data I keep it under 25MB. There is a filter on the webpage that allows you to do this. If you want you could download a very small section and try to get it to work first. This will save you a lot of time and if you have problems you will find them quickly and we can help out. Hang in there. If you are willing we will help.

Oh I will finish his project if it kills me simply for the fact that $150.00 is insane and I would rather provide free maps to people in my region. Ethics :rolleyes:

When I first loaded the maps in gpsmapedit I could see the contour lines. After modifying the properties as instructed in the pdf file and then saving? No more contour lines. Is that normal?

I am going to try and chop these up. What is a good size to crop with and is it difficult to do without accidentally missing a slice? Seems like it would be.

What settings should be used in cGPSMapper for:

TRE size?

TRE Margin?

Max Elements/object?

And any other settings you care to share.

Thanks for any help,

Are you using gpsmapedit?? If so I always let these values at default and do not mess with them.

Yes, I am using gpsmapedit. Since I have changed the settings, could you be kind enough to share the defaults?

Thanks!