Making Custom Topo Maps w/ MapSetToolKit, Rev 3

eaparks

Just a note for ya. In the PDF you have a link to the USGS as http://seamless.usgs.gov/and. The "and" at the end of the link should not be there as it gives you the 404. Just looks like a typo and forgot to put the space in there.

Thanks for the info.

Thanks, for letting me know, will make the change. You're right just didn't hit the space bar. Step 2 should read, " 2. Go to http://seamless.usgs.gov/ and download high-resolution DEM data (for Canada go to http://www.geobase.ca/geobase/en/index.html)."

If anyone sees any other errors, let me know and I'll make the appropriate changes.

I have to say I am glad that custom map making has come to this. Thanks eaparks for putting this together. Very well done. As for mapsettoolkit I wanted to give many thanks to cypherman for great applications. This makes it very easy along with the custom typ files. Keep up the good work and share those maps.

Where do the custom topos fit into the layer hierarchy inside the GPSr?

I think CN is the top layer, followed by Topo USA, then the base map. Somehow these custom tops fit in this pecking order.

Thanks

Hermit

That's the nice thing about the Custom Maps, they can be made transparent so they will show up with any of the other maps such as CN, U.S. Topo, etc. The hierarchy of the Mapsource Maps still applies but Custom Maps are not affected by this hierarchy. Ex. You can see your Custom Map and your CN map at the same time or see your Custom Map and your Mapsource U.S. Topo at the same time on your GPSr. On your PC in Mapsource you can still only view one type of map at a time (CN map or Topo map or custom map).

That's the nice thing about the Custom Maps, they can be made transparent so they will show up with any of the other maps such as CN, U.S. Topo, etc. The hierarchy of the Mapsource Maps still applies but Custom Maps are not affected by this hierarchy. Ex. You can see your Custom Map and your CN map at the same time or see your Custom Map and your Mapsource U.S. Topo at the same time on your GPSr. On your PC in Mapsource you can still only view one type of map at a time (CN map or Topo map or custom map).
That is cool, I've been getting fond of Topo USA and didn't want to lose it. While Topo USA doesn't have the greatest detail, it has enough detail to give you the lay of the land. That and whatever CPU is inside these boxes draws/refreshes fast so it's amazingly useful.

Now, if we can figure out how to get photos to display inside these boxes in context with the map, wouldn't that be awesome. :huh:

Thanks

Hermit

Cypherman has revised his MapSetToolKit to v1.15 making it even easier to use now. The entire Step-by-Step Instructions for making Custom Topo Maps, Rev. 3, has never been easier. Most anyone should now be able to make Custom Topo Maps.

The instructions can be printed in PDF from Cypherman's website: http://cypherman1.googlepages.com/Creating...hMapSetTool.pdf

Thanks eaparks, I used your link to download Cypherman's instructions for making custom topo maps. Using these instructions, I completed a custom map of our hunting area in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. The elevation details are vastly superior to Garmin's Topo East. I did make the map transparent per your suggestion and am curious on how it will display on my Garmin 76C. The custom map looks great in MapSource. ( No water data was included.)

I did run into a problem trying to download the water data from http://nhdgeo.usgs.gov/viewer.htm

Even with my pop up blocker and spam disabled, the web site is sluggish and several of the function buttons, such as Print and Help on how to extract don't seem to work. When I tried to extract NHD High Res data per cypherman's printed instruction, the polygon extraction tool did not bring up a NHD Geodatabase Extract, the page simple redrew and nothing happened. Where am I going wrong? ( I have a high speed cable ISP ).

Any suggestions and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ron

Thanks to all the fine folks who took the time to put the process together and the fine folks who then documented the process. On my first try I was able to create a nice topographic map of the Uwharrie Forest here in North Carolina. I am still experimenting and I am waiting on my email for the water data to be incorporated. I have to admit it looked daunting at first, but if you follow the directions, it does in fact work like a champ. It is nice being able to set the levels and number of contour lines.

Glad ya'll are finding the detailed instructions suitable for someone to make their 1st custom map by without to much difficutly. The water data does seem to take a while. Just be sure to remember to "Trim" the area around your topo/contour lines removing the water data not needed, otherwise it will take a very long time to compile. One individualy that was doing a fairly large map with a large area of water data said it took over 2 hours to compile. Don't get to big with the water data or make multiple maps.

I can't seem to get past the opening map on the http://seamless.usgs.gov/ site. I've cleaned my temps, set the trusted sites and everything elso suggested on the site, but I end up having to reboot my system after a very long wait (nothing responds). I can access the site on my wife's computer, which is a heck of a lot slower and older than mine. Any suggestions?

You will have to allow popups and I had to list it in my Tursted Sites in IE for it to open. Just tried opening it from your post and it is working , sometimes you have to try several times depending on how busy the site is.

Wow!

Thanks to everyone who worked on this. What a great resource. I wanted to add topo maps to my 60CSx but didn't like the fact that I had to toggle between CN and Topo maps. These transparent maps solved the problem. I built a couple yesterday following your instructions, and they came out great.

I have not tried adding water yet, cause I wasn't sure how to match the sizes of the maps. can you describe what you mean by trimming the water map? Do I do this after the download?

Thanks again!

Just be sure to remember to "Trim" the area around your topo/contour lines removing the water data not needed, otherwise it will take a very long time to compile. One individualy that was doing a fairly large map with a large area of water data said it took over 2 hours to compile. Don't get to big with the water data or make multiple maps.

Wow!

Thanks to everyone who worked on this. What a great resource. I wanted to add topo maps to my 60CSx but didn't like the fact that I had to toggle between CN and Topo maps. These transparent maps solved the problem. I built a couple yesterday following your instructions, and they came out great.

I have not tried adding water yet, cause I wasn't sure how to match the sizes of the maps. can you describe what you mean by trimming the water map? Do I do this after the download?

Thanks again!

Just be sure to remember to "Trim" the area around your topo/contour lines removing the water data not needed, otherwise it will take a very long time to compile. One individualy that was doing a fairly large map with a large area of water data said it took over 2 hours to compile. Don't get to big with the water data or make multiple maps.

After you download the water data you will have a .shp file that contains the water data. You will simply import the .shp file and you will probably see that your water data is larger than the contours. You then can trim the map so you cut out the extra waterways that are not in your contour region.

After you download the water data you will have a .shp file that contains the water data. You will simply import the .shp file and you will probably see that your water data is larger than the contours. You then can trim the map so you cut out the extra waterways that are not in your contour region.

Thx. I'll give it a try. It sounds easy enough. I see it in the instructions now, I just skimmed the water section earlier when I did my test run.

Thanks again!!

Will this work with Magellan products as well?

I do not think so. Garmin and Magellan .imgs are different. If you search around you can find info for making maps for magellan but I have no idea how. Most stuff I see is for the garmins. I will bet you download the elevation data and waterways the same way but you probably have to convert them differently.

I can't seem to get past the opening map on the http://seamless.usgs.gov/ site. I've cleaned my temps, set the trusted sites and everything elso suggested on the site, but I end up having to reboot my system after a very long wait (nothing responds). I can access the site on my wife's computer, which is a heck of a lot slower and older than mine. Any suggestions?

I found out that IE7 seems to have a problem with this website. I went ahead and loaded Firefox and it works fine. For some reason IE7 uses almost 2 GB of virtual memory. Firefox works normally and fast. I am still getting used to Firefox, but in the mean time I can make maps at will.

Edited by dsshepard

What did it cost for the software that is needed to do this free maps?

At least one site is asking for funds, the itt site.

Am I off line here?

AL

It doen't cost anything! In order to make the Custom Topo Maps per the instructions all the required software can be downloaded free. Which software link are you referring to?

I found out that IE7 seems to have a problem with this website. I went ahead and loaded Firefox and it works fine. For some reason IE7 uses almost 2 GB of virtual memory. Firefox works normally and fast. I am still getting used to Firefox, but in the mean time I can make maps at will.

Can Firefox be installed on the same computer as IE7 without causing great pain and agony?

Can Firefox be installed on the same computer as IE7 without causing great pain and agony?
I'd say yes. I have IE6 and Firefox on my XP laptop, sometimes I have them both open at once, never a problem. I like them both for different reasons.

Hermit

Thanks!

Downloaded and about to install.

I am ashamed to admit how much time I wasted tweaking settings in IE7 and ending up with my PC frozen in time while trying to display just the intro map. With Firefox, the map came up in seconds as did the areas I zoomed in to. Thanks for the help guys, I had really given up on getting the data.

I'd say yes. I have IE6 and Firefox on my XP laptop, sometimes I have them both open at once, never a problem. I like them both for different reasons.

Hermit

Thanks!

Downloaded and about to install.

I am ashamed to admit how much time I wasted tweaking settings in IE7 and ending up with my PC frozen in time while trying to display just the intro map. With Firefox, the map came up in seconds as did the areas I zoomed in to. Thanks for the help guys, I had really given up on getting the data.

Been there done that!! :laughing: I spent HOURS then for some reason I tried Firefox and life was good.

Strange. I used to be able to use IE7 just as easily as Firefox. Now, as others have said, it just hangs on the US map screen.

Am I off line here?

It doen't cost anything! In order to make the Custom Topo Maps per the instructions all the required software can be downloaded free. Which software link are you referring to?
I assume we need the IDL virtural machine for a specific OS from this Page. According to the download page this is a trial and time limited:
The downloaded products are fully functional and they run in a restricted mode for seven-minute sessions. This enables trial use of the software.

Did I also go to the wrong place?

EDIT: Apparently I went to the wrong place, DL now. The XP version is 118MB, ZOW that's a lot for Hermitville terrestial wireless, DL @ 44KB/s.

Thanks

Hermit

Edited by MtnHermit

Am I off line here?

I assume we need the IDL virtural machine for a specific OS from this Page. According to the download page this is a trial and time limited:
The downloaded products are fully functional and they run in a restricted mode for seven-minute sessions. This enables trial use of the software.

Did I also go to the wrong place?

EDIT: Apparently I went to the wrong place, DL now. The XP version is 118MB, ZOW that's a lot for Hermitville terrestial wireless, DL @ 44KB/s.

Thanks

Hermit

What link were you able to download the IDL VM for XP?

Having a Problem:

So I DL and installed all the pieces. DL a small DEM dataset. I click on my shortcut to Dem2Topo and up pops DEM2TOPO Contour Generator v2.7, make all the suggested settings, click Select DEM File(s) and I get a my DEM file in the box with Lat and Long, Click Create .mp file(s) and a minute later the contours appear . . . Happy Camper. :D

Now what? How do I save this file? How do I save my settings for the next time?

Also, don't understand why the DL of water data is within Beginning of Dem2Topo and End of Dem2Topo, doesn't appear to have any connection. Also, why not DL the water data when you DL the original elevation dataset, it is an option. That way the water and elevation would have the same bounds.

Sorry if I seem tense, running new software always winds me up.

Thanks for all the considerable efforts on this project.

Hermit

Having a Problem:

So I DL and installed all the pieces. DL a small DEM dataset. I click on my shortcut to Dem2Topo and up pops DEM2TOPO Contour Generator v2.7, make all the suggested settings, click Select DEM File(s) and I get a my DEM file in the box with Lat and Long, Click Create .mp file(s) and a minute later the contours appear . . . Happy Camper. :D

Now what? How do I save this file? How do I save my settings for the next time?

Also, don't understand why the DL of water data is within Beginning of Dem2Topo and End of Dem2Topo, doesn't appear to have any connection.

Sorry if I seem tense, running new software always winds me up.

Thanks for all the considerable efforts on this project.

Hermit

Hi MtnHermit

Save the USGS files: 1 for topo and 1 for hydrography where you can find them in the future if you ever need them again, so you won't have to redownload. You may find that you want to change your topo contour levels for one reason or another when you get through. For North Mississippi, contour lines of 15 ft. work well, for Florida - 10 ft., you'll just have to see what works best for the Rockies (I'd guess 100 ft. for your "minor contour lines", but that could be to cluttered even). I would highly recommend making your custom topo with hydrography data one map, and not put tracks/trails/roads, etc. and waypoints in your custom topo map. Put the addtional info. tracks/trails,roads, etc. that you want in another custom map even though it is for the same area as your topo map; you can still load them to your GPSr at the same time and both Custom Maps for the same area will be visisble at the same time. (NOTE: If you do make 2 custom maps for the same area make one a different size slightly from the other. This will make it easier to find each map inorder to highlight them for sending to your GPSr in Mapsource. If both happened to be the exact same size it would be difficult to toggle both on or off without affecting the other.)

In respone to your question:

"Also, don't understand why the DL of water data is within Beginning of Dem2Topo and End of Dem2Topo, doesn't appear to have any connection."

There are times you may want your water data to be larger than you topo data. There are occassions where my topo data only covers 3 square miles but I want my detailed water data to cover a 10 sq. mile area. Even though I don't have detailed topo area outside of this 3 sq. mile area the detailed water data will still show up on my GPSr on the Mapsource U.S. Topo map since my Custom Map is transparent.

Just follow the instructions exactly and everthing should go smooth. The first time is tenseful only because of the uncertainty. You really can't hurt much now with the addition of Cypherman MapSetToolKit. Be sure to use the latest MapSetToolKit v1.17a. If you have any questions several of us will be glad to help. Let me know how it goes. If something seems unclear let me know and I'll revise my instructions that Cypherman has posted.

Edited by eaparks

MtnHermit

JFYI the topo contour lines at Beckwith Pass are in 164 ft. intervals in Mapsource's U.S. Topo. So you can probably go with the 100 ft. "minor contour lines" without being cluttered. You may want your "intermediate contour lines" at 500 ft. and your "major contour lines" at 1,000 ft. This is entirely up to you as to how much detail (how many contour lines) you want and at what intervals you want the intermediate and major lines.

I made considerable progress, BUT not there yet . . . soon. :D

I made a map from around my house, I used 40, 200, 1000' intervals, just like a 7.5' topo. It's a small file, only took a minute for DEM2Topo. GPSMapEdit took several minutes with very little feedback at first, but it made an *.img file. Bit surprised how its screen went blank as soon as I made the changes to File > Map Properties.

My biggest problem appears to be no Mapsource, Cypherman suggested GPSDeamon. It wouldn't read my gmapsupp.img file off my HD. It would read the same file off the Venture via USB. But no matter, it locked up both times so I'm unable to merge my existing Topo USA segments with my new custom map. I wanted to check how the transparent and USA Topo looked together.

My custom map has no water data, I was unable to get that DL to work. So I'll change the name of my custom map to gmapsupp.img and see what I get on the Venture.

Thanks

Hermit

Is this supposed to happen?

After opening my *.mp file in GPSMapEdit I see a crude version of the contours. When I make the changes to File > Map Properties, that contour image dissappears. Except for a tiny thumb in the upper left, the entire GME screen is blank, just long-lat watermark lines.

After I export the file using cgpsmapper.exe I get a file of the expected size and change the name to gmapsupp.img, except for a header in map setup, no map appears in the Venture.

Is any/none of this as expected?

Thanks

Hermit

eaparks,

Thanks for all your work, and for others that were supportive on this forum.

Success at last, well almost, I didn’t follow your instructions to the letter on importing waterways (I accepted the default levels rather than use the settings plainly listed on line 4 of each import). It was late and I was tired, what can I say. Anyway, the map looks great, but I’m going to try again and expand my range a little, making sure I pay attention to the levels. You don’t waterways visible at all levels in Louisiana or the map just looks like a blue blob when zoomed out.

Thanks again,

Hey guys-

I'm trying to create my own maps to show both TOPO and streets for my roadtrip coming up this week. However, while installing IDL VM, I get an error and it won't let me install. It is a 'Feature Transfer Error' and says 'ErrorL -1633 This installation package is not supported by this processor type. Contact your product vendor.'

Does anyone have any solutions to this? Also, how hard are these maps to create? I searched the site for maps of the locations I am going (AZ and UT), but noone has uploaded any. What's the chances of being able to bribe someone here to create those for me, at least until I can get all this installed and figured out? I just dont have time for major setbacks like this, and really want these maps before I go on my trip.

Thanks!

Is this supposed to happen?

After opening my *.mp file in GPSMapEdit I see a crude version of the contours. When I make the changes to File > Map Properties, that contour image dissappears. Except for a tiny thumb in the upper left, the entire GME screen is blank, just long-lat watermark lines.

After I export the file using cgpsmapper.exe I get a file of the expected size and change the name to gmapsupp.img, except for a header in map setup, no map appears in the Venture.

Is any/none of this as expected?

Thanks

Hermit

When you open your .mp file in GpsMapEdit it usually opens with the "View" zoom levels set to "Auto". You need to change the "view" levels to "level 0" inorder to usually see your map info. Most of the time with it set to auto you will only see a blank white screen with the lat/long. lines as you mentioned.

Edited by eaparks
When you open your .mp file in GpsMapEdit it usually opens with the "View" zoom levels set to "Auto". You need to change the "view" levels to "level 0" inorder to usually see your map info. Most of the time with it set to auto you will only see a blank white screen with the lat/long. lines as you mentioned.
By damm, you're right!!! :lol:

Also figure out my water data problem, Google Popup Blocker, now I just have to wait for that email, been a half-hour.

Many Thanks

Hermit

eaparks,

Perhaps you have a clue what is/not happening.

If I DL this Map and change it from DenW.img to gmapsupp.img I can see the map inside my Venture. However, if I take my exported map from GPSMapEdit and do the same thing, all I see is a header and no map.

What I'm I missing?

BTW, My water data is now DL @ 7KB/s, its huge 26MB whereas my elevation data was only 3MB. Feel I've done something wrong.

Thanks

Hermit

My biggest problem appears to be no Mapsource, Cypherman suggested GPSDeamon. It wouldn't read my gmapsupp.img file off my HD. It would read the same file off the Venture via USB.

MtnHermit,

Yes, gpsdaemon can read this file outside the GPSr.

Select File in Map source group (see the image) and to put your file gmapsupp.img in the home temp directory.

gpsdaemon_1.JPG

Cyherman

eaparks,

Perhaps you have a clue what is/not happening.

If I DL this Map and change it from DenW.img to gmapsupp.img I can see the map inside my Venture. However, if I take my exported map from GPSMapEdit and do the same thing, all I see is a header and no map.

What I'm I missing?

BTW, My water data is now DL @ 7KB/s, its huge 26MB whereas my elevation data was only 3MB. Feel I've done something wrong.

Thanks

Hermit

Weird, in GPSmapedit, zoom in your maps and your see nothing???

Send me this maps if you want, I will check that.

cypherman1 at gmail dot com

Cypherman

Cyherman

Yes, gpsdaemon can read this file outside the GPSr.

Select File in Map source group (see the image) and to put your file gmapsupp.img in the home temp directory.

gpsdaemon_1.JPG

Ye, I definitely selected File as you have shown. Then at the bottom it asked where the gmapsupp.img file was located. I created a path to the file.

I believe I next clicked Create, that's when it locked up. I had to use Task Mgr to close GPSDaemon.

Do you think moving gmapsupp.img to another directory would make a difference?

Thanks

Hermit

Cypherman

Weird, in GPSmapedit, zoom in your maps and your see nothing???
Quite the contrary, when I zoom into my .mp file in GPSMapEdit, the detail is astounding. I'm going to send you the .mp and the exported .img [~4MB] so you can play too. :lol:

Thanks

Hermit

Edited by MtnHermit