Newbie Question? Which to Buy?

cantecra

I am looking to get a handheld and looking to get some question.

I am looking at either the Garmin Venture CX or the Magellon Explorest 400. I am looking for using it for Geo caching and maybe for vehicle use.

I also have a streetpilot III+ and was wondering if I did buy a Garmin could I use the City Navigator Maps I have on the Venture CX or would I have to buy another set of maps for the CX?

Thanks

I went with the Explorist 500 from tigergps.com it is a traveler bundle. You get the mapsend directroute, vehicle mount, cigerette lighter adapter, Ac adapter, rechargable battier. All for 239.95. You can also use for routeing while in a car. I have the Magellan Gold and it works good with routeing. I can not say how good this one is because I just got it. But so far, it seems a little easyer to use.

I should also tell you I am no expert. There are a lot more people out there who know a hole lot more and can help you better than I can. That is just what I have gotten.

dwayne23

I am looking to get a handheld and looking to get some question.

I am looking at either the Garmin Venture CX or the Magellon Explorest 400. I am looking for using it for Geo caching and maybe for vehicle use.

I also have a streetpilot III+ and was wondering if I did buy a Garmin could I use the City Navigator Maps I have on the Venture CX or would I have to buy another set of maps for the CX?

The Venture CX is great; I love mine.

If your 2nd unlock is not consumed yet I understand you can use it on the Venture CX for free. You may have to call Garmin for it.

I took the plunge and bought the Venture CX. I took it out last week to find a geocache around my place but was unable to find it because of the deep snow. I plan to go out again to try and find it. My daughter who is 5 likes the idea of "looking for buried treasure". So far the unit seems to be easy to use and I was able to load my City Select maps to the card. My only complaint so far is the volume on the speaker is kind of low so it is hard to hear the beeps for upcoming turns.

I took the plunge and bought the Venture CX. I took it out last week to find a geocache around my place but was unable to find it because of the deep snow. I plan to go out again to try and find it. My daughter who is 5 likes the idea of "looking for buried treasure". So far the unit seems to be easy to use and I was able to load my City Select maps to the card. My only complaint so far is the volume on the speaker is kind of low so it is hard to hear the beeps for upcoming turns.

Just an update. Yesterday I went to turn it on and it would not power up. Tried everything but had to contact Garmin. Talked to a nice friendly person who agreed that the thing is dead and will have to be sent back. This is a real pain as I live in Canada and to ship anything to the States cost a fortune. Not to happy. :blink:

Sorry that happened to you . . . but I'm just curious what kind of batteries you were using, and when connected with the USB cable, would it still not power up . . . ?

I was using Alkaline batteries in the unit. I tried connecting the gps to the PC using the USB cable but it still would not power up. Tired removing the micro card from the unit and new batteries but still would not power up.