Help needed for thickies!

The Ollies

Although we both succesfully cache with a Garmin 60c and Garmin V, we have recently aquired a Garmin NuVi 350. We have seen another geocacher with the geocaches loaded on his, but are not sure if it was the same model.

I like the idea of driving along and caches being alerted nearby, especially if we are in a new area.

As we are not the brightest when it comes to teccy stuff, any help or advise, would be appreciated!

We have had a quick look on the web, and it seems we may need to download POI, but still not sure if this would work on our model, and we would hate to mess around with it and break it!

Keith & Nat

Hello The Ollies,you sound just like me regarding the techie stuff.at xmas i bought a garmin nuvi 660 that you can put co-ords in,it takes me as close as it can get to a cache it is wonderfull,i dont have to print off as many maps from memory map now.if you find out anything about caches and the nuvi would you let me know.i have paid for but only looked at gsak for about 10 mins.all the best jeff=bones1.

<_<

Hi Jeff, as far as I know, we cant actually put co-ords in, but think that somehow you must be able to load caches from a source.

I got this as an in car sat-nav, as I hated borrowing Keiths Ipaq with Tom Tom, as I was scared I would lose it!

I just thought it would be great if there was an option to have caches on there. Any info I get I will certainly pass on, and I am so glad we are not the only technophobes here!

Nat x

No I am not sure what version the software is unfortunatly.

I am not sure even where the original packaging is, as we have recently had a massive clean up session.

As the unit was basically out of the box and ready to go, I am sure the box and info was put up the loft with the rest of our never ending junk we aquire! I will try to find it though.

Nat x

I also have a Nuvi 360 and used to use it for geocaching before I got my 60csx. I have TopoUK maps on it also and it works quite well. Unfortunately the batteries don't last too long and you have to take care lugging it around though.

Being able to input the coordinates is great - it takes me as close as possible to the cache, then I continue with the other unit. I used to download the cache waypoints to it unit but found that it was easier just to type in the coordinates on the way.

You can definitely use it by itself for caching - I did for a couple of months before the bug really got me!

Edited by TheRoundings

plot individually yes. to put on gsak searches you will need to download the poi file from garmin site. does your 350 have speed cameras on it?if so you already have the poi file i think!

Yes it had speed cameras downloaded onto it when we got it. It was a freebie at the time of purchase, it was from Global positioning systems, and said it would normall cost a bit extra?